Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

Really glad Leclerc got the win today. Even when Ferrari are clearly the fastest, they still make it difficult. One thing I will say for them is while they’ve struggled mightily with strategy and reliability, they do usually have the setup nailed. That’s one area they’ve been better than everyone else this year. RB have been nowhere in 2 races this year (Australia and Austria) due to bad setup. 

What a hell of a race. When those five cars were all battling at once... damn. Seemed like the normal lulls that normally hit a race weren't there. Just constant battles everywhere.

Ferrari/Red Bull is going to be so much fun to watch the rest of the season. I think Mercedes is too far back in the points to contend, but they certainly seem like they could play spoiler here and there if the other teams make a mistake.

I mean even the timing of Ferrari's blow up was dramatic. Right as he is about to pass Max... poof.

37 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

What a hell of a race. When those five cars were all battling at once... damn. Seemed like the normal lulls that normally hit a race weren't there. Just constant battles everywhere.

Ferrari/Red Bull is going to be so much fun to watch the rest of the season. I think Mercedes is too far back in the points to contend, but they certainly seem like they could play spoiler here and there if the other teams make a mistake.

I mean even the timing of Ferrari's blow up was dramatic. Right as he is about to pass Max... poof.

I said that same thing to my brother while we were watching the race.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

That mid pack stuff was awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

e301161bfb2978d8d9b0ef272b8c8987.gif

Damn, the weren't kidding about the hand grenade aspect. I didn't notice that at all during the broadcast. Thanks for posting.

Yeah, it sure seemed excessive today. I can't imagine how unpleasant it would be to breathe all that shit on a hot day. 
Youngest and I agree that a much as we love Austria, Red Bull Ring is a no go as long as Max is racing for them. That looks fucking terrible.

No Zandvoort, either.
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Damn, the weren't kidding about the hand grenade aspect. I didn't notice that at all during the broadcast. Thanks for posting.

I wonder if it could have been a hung throttle like Leclerc that hung wide open between gears and just f'n blew apart. Italian electronics are known for their reliablility.

F1 is better when Ferraris randomly explode

the feed director cut away just after the marshal got there, causing me to yell a bit, then realized they really didn't want to show carlos engulfed in flame if that was going to happen.  

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

haha

I yelled at my tv "what the fuck are you showing this for show me the fucking car on fire"

Also he hasn't parked in San Francisco or he'd know to just turn his wheel so he'd hit the wall and stop rolling back. Thought for a minute we'd have an on fire Ferrari rolling onto the track for someone to plow into.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Just now, blacklab said:

Also he hasn't parked in San Francisco or he'd know to just turn his wheel so he'd hit the wall and stop rolling back. Thought for a minute we'd have an on fire Ferrari rolling onto the track for someone to plow into.

My thought was put it in gear. But if he pulled his steering wheel to GTFO he couldn't turn or put it in gear.

40 minutes ago, elfenix said:

the feed director cut away just after the marshall got there, causing me to yell a bit, then realized they really didn't want to show carlos engulfed in flame if that was going to happen.  

Yeah, that's exactly what was going on. Also, is it just me or are marshals really slow in responding? I guess it's a safety rule about when they can go on the track, but I feel like there are many instances of drivers having to plead with them to come to the car.

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, but that finger-wagging scold at Tsunoda was awesome.

Yep, and he and Yuki get along well iirc. But he had to let him know that was a no-no.

Re: Alonso's luck ... he was fast as hell up til Q3 when floor damage slowed him down. Fast as hell again in FP2. Lines up on the grid and his car, which had had no problems up until then, just decided to take a shit and shut down completely. So he gets to start P19 for the GP. Starts on Hard tires, hoping for a little SC or rain luck. Works his way up to 5th with other's pitting, etc. Of course, no good SC or rain luck. Pits & falls back to P18. Works his way up to 5th again. Fell back to P7, and Sainz's PU sploded. No SC, but a VSC, which was better than nothing. Cool. Go get new tires and have a tire advantage the remaining 12 laps. Yay! Pits for fresh Mediums & comes out P9. Not bad. Then something breaks at the front of his car causing his LF wheel to seem loose, so he has to pit again next time around. Comes out 14th. After all that, he still manages to make up 4 spots in the last 9 laps to finish in the points at P10. Pretty great drive, really, esp considering what could have been without the extra pit stop pushing him down to P14.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, that's exactly what was going on. Also, is it just me or are marshals really slow in responding? I guess it's a safety rule about when they can go on the track, but I feel like there are many instances of drivers having to plead with them to come to the car.

marshal in the background ran over with an extinguisher, put it down on the ground, then ran back toward the truck

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

They were slow, but yeah, I think they're being told to stay back until the race is under control (which RC took too long to do, imho). What Sainz needed more than anything were (a) someone to stop the car rolling backward, and (b) extinguishing agent on the fire. That one marshall with the chock must have just said, fuck it, I'm going in.

Re: the marshal response, the guy who put the chock under the wheel is the same one who put out the fire.

Minus the fact that he wasn't wearing his gloves, he actually did a great job. He manaaged to get the chock under the wheel just after it started to roll back again, which is the only reason it eventually stopped. Then he quickly and efficiently put out the fire. Kudos to him. I think the guy who sat down the extinguisher and then left was going back for his gloves. They should all have their gloves on the entire time. Here's the uninterrupted video ...

• Like 1

Upon further review, the first guy had gloves on, so idk what his malfunction was. A poster on another board asked if he might have been going back for the right type of extinguisher, but they usually carry "ABC" extinguishers, which means they can use them to extinguish Class A, B, and C fires. They do that because of the likelihood of fuel and oil fires, to simplify the process, speed them up, and reduce the potential for mistakes. I've been around some of the crews at COTA. I don't know what it's like in Europe, but at COTA you can tell many of them have had very little training or experience. COTA asks for volunteers for pretty much every race, often with no experience necessary. It's not an easy job, even for someone with training. Those without training souldn't be anywhere near there.

Oh, and you can see in that video that Carlos actually did turn the wheel toward the wall. The car curved toward the wall as it rolled back that last time after the chock was placed.

Edited by wood

2 hours ago, RPM said:

I wonder if it could have been a hung throttle like Leclerc that hung wide open between gears and just f'n blew apart. Italian electronics are known for their reliablility.

Yeah. That’s why I ended up buying a Honda Civic instead a Ferrari 360. 

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

the feed director cut away just after the marshal got there, causing me to yell a bit, then realized they really didn't want to show carlos engulfed in flame if that was going to happen.  

Yeah. Kudos to them for them not showing Guo’s accident last week. No one wants to see someone die.  I’m retrospect I’m surprised they kept showing the replay of Grosjean’s accident. 

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

marshal in the background ran over with an extinguisher, put it down on the ground, then ran back toward the truck

Speaking of shitty marshals, what about the fat one who first responded to Grosjean’s crash. I know it was hot, but the dumbass was standing 10’ from the fire pointing it 3’ above the fire instead of towards the floor where it mattered. 

On 7/8/2022 at 12:13 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Did Lewis have work done or something? Older photos of him look so much different than today. Not like he just got older, but he looks completely different.

I dunno about his face, but he has definitely had some hair 'work' done.

On 7/8/2022 at 3:43 PM, kevwun said:

The track invites drivers to do it with the wide green zone.  Take that shit away as it serves no real purpose.  It would be like if mlb still let teams keep a bucket of spider tack in the dugout after they cracked down on it.

It doesn't matter if the track invites it. The track limit is the white line. I'm glad it's finally being enforced, and all over the track rather than just selected corners. Of course, grass and gravel everywhere outside the white lines would solve the problem, but I don't see that happening on a large scale again anytime soon. I'd love to see it though. They've eliminated some paved runoff at Spa, replacing it with gravel.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2022 at 10:35 AM, Burt Macklin said:

Well that sprint race was decent, but it’s gonna make the race very boring tomorrow. All it really does is put cars directly in their spots based on race pace. 

Yep. It's stupid. I told my kid today that if they insist on continuing with this bs, then let qualifying set the GP grid as it always has, then run a sprint race for points, but with reverse grids based on WDC standings ... or with reserve drivers in the cars. This shit is just stupid. It's like starting the race, then red-flagging it and having a standing restart the next day.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Track limits for everyone!

Thought this was interesting. The number of laps invalidated, per driver, from Autosport:

Gasley 4 times

Norris 4

Zhou 4

Vettel 4

Hamilton 3

Schumacher 3

Sainz 3

Stroll 3

Leclerk 2

Latifi 2

Verstappen 2

Tsunoda 2

Ricciardo 2

Albon 2

Magnussen 2

Perez 1

Alonso 0

Ocon 0

Bottas 0

Russel 0

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, wood said:

Upon further review, the first guy had gloves on, so idk what his malfunction was. A poster on another board asked if he might have been going back for the right type of extinguisher, but they usually carry "ABC" extinguishers, which means they can use them to extinguish Class A, B, and C fires. They do that because of the likelihood of fuel and oil fires, to simplify the process, speed them up, and reduce the potential for mistakes. I've been around some of the crews at COTA. I don't know what it's like in Europe, but at COTA you can tell many of them have had very little training or experience. COTA asks for volunteers for pretty much every race, often with no experience necessary. It's not an easy job, even for someone with training. Those without training souldn't be anywhere near there.

Same story everywhere - it's all volunteer work.  Wife has acquaintance who did flag work at Hungaroring.  It comes down to individual experience.  At busy track like RBR, you imagine each marshall has sufficient exposure in the work...

7 hours ago, wood said:

Yep. It's stupid. I told my kid today that if they insist on continuing with this bs, then let qualifying set the GP grid as it always has, then run a sprint race for points, but with reverse grids based on WDC standings ... or with reserve drivers in the cars. This shit is just stupid. It's like starting the race, then red-flagging it and having a standing restart the next day.

No doubt. I honestly try to like it, but it is seriously sapping my enthusiasm.

• Hook 'Em 1