Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

It’s going to be interesting to see how this new rule is enforced. All the data shows the Ferraris bounce a lot with heavy fuel, but then calm as the tank gets lower, whereas RB is the opposite and they actually have worse bouncing than Ferrari at the end of the race. So what happens if Ferrari run less than half tank at FP3 and get under the limit, but then exceed it during the first part of the race?  Same for RB at the end? There’s no way to adjust it mid-race so are they disqualified, do they get a penalty?  Merc struggle a ton with bouncing in street tracks but had almost none at a purpose track like Spain, so will they be extremely competitive at certain tracks and nowhere on street tracks? 

It seems like each team has such unique porpoising issues and I have no idea how the FIA will enforce this consistently. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It seems like each team has such unique porpoising issues and I have no idea how the FIA will enforce this consistently. 

Oh, I think we can rest assured that the FIA will NOT enforce this consistently.  That's not really their thing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Oh, I think we can rest assured that the FIA will NOT enforce this consistently.  That's not really their thing.

Yeah, definitely no high expectations here. The biggest issue will be how/when it will be enforced. As in will w end waiting after races to see if a team gets a penalty before we can know the final standings. I see this going absolutely horribly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, definitely no high expectations here. The biggest issue will be how/when it will be enforced. As in will w end waiting after races to see if a team gets a penalty before we can know the final standings. I see this going absolutely horribly. 

I've got a bad feeling about this...

Friday
Practice 1 starts at 12:55pm on ESPNU
Practice 2 starts at 3:50pm on ESPNU

Saturday
Practice 3 starts at 11:55am on ESPN
Qualifying starts at 2:55pm on ESPN

The race is at 1:00pm on Sunday on ABC.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

So what is the tv schedule for today and tomorrow? I’m seeing conflicting channels 

My ESPN App guide says:

FP1: Fri 12:55 PM ESPNU

FP2: Fri 3:55 PM ESPNU

FP3: Sat 11:55 AM ESPN2

Qual: Sat 2:55 PM ESPN2

Race: Sun 1:00 PM ABC

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, kevwun said:

You can sign up for a youtubetv trial.  They have all of the espn channels.  Fubo does not include ESPNU and ESPN News.

Thanks.  I'm not anywhere close to organized enough to remember to cancel those.  I can't tell you how many extra months I've paid for of Starz, HBO Max, Paramount, or whatever else, because I forgot to cancel.

I'll just go without, and continue to bitch about ESPN moving F1 off its two flagship channels.  Bitching is the surly way, after all. :)

Just now, kevwun said:

This week it's because of the College World Series, so it's a good reason for us.

Good plan.  I do at least have ESPN and ESPN2, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the CWS games.  At least, anything with Texas in it.  I definitely have tonight's game.  In fact I'll be throwing some ribs on the smoker in a couple of hours, to be ready before gametime.

A few things:

1) The porpoising limit thing won’t be enforced this weekend
2) Cars are going to be allowed a second additional floor stay (the first one is in the far back attached to the rear impact structure, and the second is the easily visible one in front of the rear wheels). Not sure where exactly it will be allowed yet. I’ve checked the technical regs but they aren’t updated yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s going to be interesting to see how this new rule is enforced. All the data shows the Ferraris bounce a lot with heavy fuel, but then calm as the tank gets lower, whereas RB is the opposite and they actually have worse bouncing than Ferrari at the end of the race. So what happens if Ferrari run less than half tank at FP3 and get under the limit, but then exceed it during the first part of the race?  Same for RB at the end? There’s no way to adjust it mid-race so are they disqualified, do they get a penalty?  Merc struggle a ton with bouncing in street tracks but had almost none at a purpose track like Spain, so will they be extremely competitive at certain tracks and nowhere on street tracks? 

If the standard will be FP3, then I would assume that's what the FIA will live by, like they do with wing deflection testing etc. I would think it would be the same things as when someone's front or rear wing is flexing and the FIA says "Welp, they passed the deflection test". They can't account for all scenarios. But who knows ...

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

You can sign up for a youtubetv trial.  They have all of the espn channels.  Fubo does not include ESPNU and ESPN News.

Yep & yttv will record it no matter what channel it comes on. Best DVR I've ever seen, by a mile.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Good plan.  I do at least have ESPN and ESPN2, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the CWS games.  At least, anything with Texas in it.  I definitely have tonight's game.  In fact I'll be throwing some ribs on the smoker in a couple of hours, to be ready before gametime.

If you ever need it, this site usually has Texas baseball streaming ... https://therealstreamhub.site/index.php . It's worked every time I've tried it.

Just now, utee94 said:

Thanks.  Pretty sure Texas beisbol won't get knocked down any lower than ESPN2.  We're not the ags after all, people actually want to watch us.

Yep, for sure. I meant if you need it during the season later on. 

And Fuck aggy. And OU sucks. And fuck Pig.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just found this post where the poster came up with a potential Australian GP schedule with the addition of F2 & F3. Just unreal. :drool: I could see S5000 not making the cut though.

Thursday

(08.00-09.30 Possible FIA Safety Car / Medical Car / Circuit Inspections)

10.00-10.25 Porsche CC - Practice 1

10.40-11.05 S5000 - Practice 1

11.20-11.50 Supercars - Practice 1

12.05-12.30 Porsche CC - Practice 2

12.45-13.10 S5000 - Practice 2

13.25-13.55 Supercars - Practice 2

14.15-14.35 Speed Comparison - Demonstration 1

15.00-15.25 Porsche CC - Qualifying

15.45-16.10 S5000 - Qualifying

16.30-16.50 Supercars - Qualifying for Race 1

17.00-17.30 Supercars - Qualifying for Race 2

17.40-18.00 Supercars - Qualifying for Race 3

Friday

(08.00-09.30 Possible FIA Safety Car / Medical Car / Circuit Inspections)

10.00-10.45 FIA F3 - Practice

11.30-12.15 FIA F2 - Practice

13.00-14.00 FIA F1 - Practice 1

14.30-15.00 FIA F3 - Qualifying

15.15-15.35 Speed Comparison - Demonstration 2

16.00-17.00 FIA F1 - Practice 2

17.30-18.00 FIA F2 - Qualifying

18.25-19.00 Porsche CC - Race 1

19.30-20.00* Supercars - Practice 3 (Evening Practice)

(*Sunset on March 17th is 19.37, but the cars have headlights and there is limited circuit floodlighting)

Saturday

08.30-08.50 S5000 - Race 1

09.05-09.30 Porsche CC - Race 2
10.00-10.45 FIA F3 - Race 1

11.05-11.25 Speed Comparison - Demonstration 3
11.45-12.30 Supercars - Race 1

13.00-14.00 FIA F1 - Practice 3

14.15-14.40 Porsche CC - Race 3

14.55-15.15 S5000 - Race 2

16.00-17.00 FIA F1 - Qualifying

17.40-18.30 FIA F2 - Race 1

18.50-20.00* Supercars - Race 2

(*Sunset on March 18th is 19.35, but the cars have headlights and there is limited circuit floodlighting)

Sunday

08.30-08.55 S5000 - Race 2

09.10-09.30 Speed Comparison - Demonstration 4

10.00-10.50 FIA F3 - Race 2

11.30-12.35 FIA F2 - Race 2

13.00-13.45 Supercars - Race 3

16.00-18.00 Australian Grand Prix

Oh, and the French GP is apparently moving to Nice. Is this war on Monaco, posturing, or what?

https://www.lequipe.fr/Formule-1/Article/Stefano-domenicali-met-une-option-sur-un-grand-prix-de-formule-1-a-nice/1339020

Edited by wood

Just now, utee94 said:

I don't love Paul Ricard so moving away from there wouldn't bother me.  I don't know anything about the track at Nice, but it's a nice place to visit, that's for sure.

Yeah Ricard sucks. Apparently Nice can't use the same streets as the original circuit, so it's anyone's guess at this point. 

Just now, wood said:

Yeah Ricard sucks. Apparently Nice can't use the same streets as the original circuit, so it's anyone's guess at this point. 

Oh, it would be a streetrace?

Ugh.  Not a fan, don't want any more on the calendar than we already have.  For every surprisingly fun Baku, there are at least a couple boring AF Miamis and Sochis.

hitting the cost cap because you targetted $135 million with 2020 as a base currency year and factoring a couple-few percent inflation and hitting the cost cap because you didn't engineer your car properly are two different things, crofty. 

9 hours ago, wood said:

If the standard will be FP3, then I would assume that's what the FIA will live by, like they do with wing deflection testing etc. I would think it would be the same things as when someone's front or rear wing is flexing and the FIA says "Welp, they passed the deflection test". They can't account for all scenarios. But who knows ...

There’s no way that’s what they do. Then teams will just run race/quali height FP1 and 2 then raise it for FP3. 

5 hours ago, elfenix said:

i wonder how much porpoising there'd be if they still had the 13" wheels

I realize they didn’t foresee all this, but  limiting the suspension and going to the 18” tires were terrible moved when combined with the porpoising. 

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

There’s no way that’s what they do. Then teams will just run race/quali height FP1 and 2 then raise it for FP3. 

OK, what will they do then? The cars and thus the magnitude of porpoising for each car are going to change during the race. If they're going to try to regulate it, they shouldn't change it based on the race porpoising when the cars have already passed the test or have been raised because they didn't pass it.

Gotta say, the Lance Stroll grandstand is a really good spot to watch the race. You get a great view of the cars as they slow down for the hairpin and then add they accelerate out. And having that screen there, you can keep tabs on the action. Now if we could do something about the weather...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1