Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

For as good as it seems Ferrari has been and as shitty as Mercedes has been, Mercedes is a hell of a lot closer to Ferrari in the constructors race than Ferrari is to Red Bull. 

Ferrari has power issues. Mercedes has suspension issues. 

The team order at the end was incredibly stupid. Let them race over the freaking point. Only way that comes up is if Lando is asking for a swap. IMO

If you want to order a swap, okay, but you don’t let them race 2-3 laps from the end, especially on a street circuit. Maybe they’re trying to manufacture some positive energy for Daniel.

9 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

If you want to order a swap, okay, but you don’t let them race 2-3 laps from the end, especially on a street circuit. Maybe they’re trying to manufacture some positive energy for Daniel.

Couldn’t they have just given Daniel the green light to pass Lando earlier in the race so he wouldn’t have gotten passed by Gasley easily has he did. McLaren had a chance for a higher finish if it wasn’t for their strategy with Lando&Danny.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Thanks Ferrari for making this a boring as fuck race. So glad I woke up at 4am.

If it helps at all, I recorded it and watched it at 9am and it was still boring as fuck and a waste of time. Ferrari couldn't even crash out in spectacular fashion. Hydraulic issue turns into a slow crawl into a corner. Engine issue throws a little smoke but Leclerc limps it into the pits. Boring.

Edited by Huckleberry

Couldn’t they have just given Daniel the green light to pass Lando earlier in the race so he wouldn’t have gotten passed by Gasley easily has he did. McLaren had a chance for a higher finish if it wasn’t for their strategy with Lando&Danny.  

Yes, that decision was questionable. Not sure it would have mattered in the end with the McLaren being a real piece of shit car right now.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Yes, that decision was questionable. Not sure it would have mattered in the end with the McLaren being a real piece of shit car right now.

Yeah the car is shit but if they would have let Danny do his thing in the first stint then it probably would have helped lando and the team in the long run. 

I think the top 3 teams are all having different issues because they are pushing various components too hard in order to get the most out of their cars under the new rules.  Red Bull's setup is causing issues with their rear wings, Ferrari is running their engines too hot and Mercedes is running their cars too low to the track.

Edited by kevwun

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The team order at the end was incredibly stupid. Let them race over the freaking point. Only way that comes up is if Lando is asking for a swap. IMO

Eh. If they do that, then they need to be consistent. They stupidly killed Danny’s first stint by making him sit behind Lando for 15 laps. To turn around and then let Lando fight Danny later would’ve been pretty fucked up. They should’ve let Danny through early or at least let him race.  He probably could’ve gained 1 or 2 positions if he had. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Not really. They told Danny to hold position earlier when Lando was going slower and Gasly was up Danny's ass.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
6 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Not really. They told Danny to hold position earlier when Lando was going slower and Gasly was up Danny's ass.

They were discussing the swap to move Lando ahead of Danny until they realized they couldn’t get Alonzo and told them to hold position. 

At one point they told Lando that they would let Danny try to get Alonzo and if he couldn’t they would swap before the end of the race (6 or 7 to go) They scrapped that by the end and then told Lando to stay put. 

The only reason this would have come up is from Lando. Danny came out 3 seconds ahead on 10 lap newer med tires with less than 20 laps to go. Dany should have the best chance at older tire Alonzo (but beast on straight). 

If there is no whining (Lando), there is no “controversy”. Let Danny chase Alonzo and let Lando drive and see if he can catch Danny. Asking either to slow down for the 8/9 swap is ridiculous. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That push at the end from Lando seemed like some immature stuff to me. I completely get being a racer and wanting to win, wanting to beat your teammate, wanting to beat whomever your racing. But map it out.

Say you pass him, you go 8th instead of 9th, gaining 4 points instead of 2. You aren't in a championship hunt, you aren't battling for a podium. You're battling your teammate for 8th place against team orders. So for two points, you've created animosity with your team and teammate. I'd say the late lunge is almost just as bad.

His post race interview was a little shaky with what he was saying and what he actually believed. He acknowledged Daniel helped him with following the order not to pass but only said it was for one lap. It was for 15 laps. I don’t think there’s any outward divide between him and Danny tho.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Whiny

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.i-couldve-finished-8th-if-i-was-more-of-a-rebel-says-norris-but-accepts.5pJy3nzLVS3CEFrsrm6ZRD.html

“I am a team player so I accepted that I couldn’t overtake at the end, and I couldn’t go for the position,” said Norris after the race. “Daniel did help me out in the middle, it was one lap that he wasn’t allowed to overtake me on.

“If the return favour is to not overtake him at all in the last three laps, I guess I have to accept it. I think it was fair, I don’t think what we did was incorrect. It’s just you’re racing, you always want to push it, you always want to find what the limit of it is. But I could have done…

“I was up the inside into Turn 1 and I gave way to him and let him through still. I could’ve finished eighth if I was more of a rebel, but I accept what we did as a team. 

9 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Maybe I’ve watched too much Alonso/Massa, Vettel/Webber, and Rosberg/Hamilton to get bent out of shape over Lando pushing up on Daniel on the last lap. That’s some DTS drama if you ask me.

I've watched all those guys, and two decades of F1 racing before them.  And we called out their bitching and whining the same then, as anyone is now.

I don't think you have to believe it's manufactured drama to think that Ricciardo got screwed by the team's early strategy and that Lando was a little bitch about it later.

Nothing new here, same as it ever was.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think I mentioned it months ago, but I just can't get behind Lando. He just rubs me the wrong way.

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

That push at the end from Lando seemed like some immature stuff to me.

you've created animosity with your team and teammate. 

I've felt the same about Lando from time to time.  But I've checked myself because I think my favoritism toward Danny affects my judgment.

I don't think animosity is the right word; Daniel's been around long enough to see it as it is.  Lando has a chip on his shoulder, wants to make his mark on the sport. Who can blame him.  Yeah he comes across as a bit insecure, maybe a little immature (the lunge I agree), but I was an immature dipshit well beyond Lando's age, and I didn't have the weight of being a Formula 1 driver on my shoulders.  These young guys are impressive.

He wants his time in the sun. If Danny has anything left in the tank, then no better teammate to have to show it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Whiny
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.i-couldve-finished-8th-if-i-was-more-of-a-rebel-says-norris-but-accepts.5pJy3nzLVS3CEFrsrm6ZRD.html

“I am a team player so I accepted that I couldn’t overtake at the end, and I couldn’t go for the position,” said Norris after the race. “Daniel did help me out in the middle, it was one lap that he wasn’t allowed to overtake me on.

“If the return favour is to not overtake him at all in the last three laps, I guess I have to accept it. I think it was fair, I don’t think what we did was incorrect. It’s just you’re racing, you always want to push it, you always want to find what the limit of it is. But I could have done…

“I was up the inside into Turn 1 and I gave way to him and let him through still. I could’ve finished eighth if I was more of a rebel, but I accept what we did as a team. 

I saw Lando's interview. I think he needs to mature a bit, but this isn't some big rift forming in the McLaren team.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

I've felt the same about Lando from time to time.  But I've checked myself because I think my favoritism toward Danny affects my judgment.

I don't think animosity is the right word; Daniel's been around long enough to see it as it is.  Lando has a chip on his shoulder, wants to make his mark on the sport. Who can blame him.  Yeah he comes across as a bit insecure, maybe a little immature (the lunge I agree), but I was an immature dipshit well beyond Lando's age, and I didn't have the weight of being a Formula 1 driver on my shoulders.  These young guys are impressive.

He wants his time in the sun. If Danny has anything left in the tank, then no better teammate to have to show it.

Great take, agree pretty much 100%.

Lando's a fierce competitor.  There's nothing wrong with his attitude and his desire.

But also, it's fine to point out when he's wrong and when he's benefitting from what turned out to be bad team orders, and call him out when he's being immature and asking for even more unearned consideration.

If we can agree that it's good for him to push Ricciardo, then I think it's also okay to point out when he's out of order.  And if he's pushed by Ricciardo, that's okay, too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Yep, and I'd rather have guys I have to reign in than guys who are too passive. In the end, he held position, and that's what matters.

6 hours ago, wood said:

So, iirc we don't have a moto thread, I'll just drop this here. Y'all been following the Isle of Man TT this year? 5 dead so far, including a father & son (56 & 21 yo). JFC.

It's the most insane, most dangerous race in the world.  My brother follows it closely.  1982 is the only year in the history of the race where a death didn't occur.

Edited by VABuckeye

23 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

For as good as it seems Ferrari has been and as shitty as Mercedes has been, Mercedes is a hell of a lot closer to Ferrari in the constructors race than Ferrari is to Red Bull. 

I mean, Ferrari has 5 DNFs , Mercedes has 0 and FER is still ahead by almost 40 points.

Mercedes is miles behind RB and Ferrari. Sainz has like 3 DNFs in 8 races and is still ahead of Lewis in the WDC

21 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

wasn't Danny behind Lando blocking while on superior tires?

8 hours ago, wood said:

So, iirc we don't have a moto thread, I'll just drop this here. Y'all been following the Isle of Man TT this year? 5 dead so far, including a father & son (56 & 21 yo). JFC.

Not that familiar with the race other than knowing it's on motorcycles and is dangerous.

What makes it so dangerous? Why does it keep going or not improved safety-wise if so many people are killed racing in it?

46 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Not that familiar with the race other than knowing it's on motorcycles and is dangerous.

What makes it so dangerous? Why does it keep going or not improved safety-wise if so many people are killed racing in it?

It's a 37.4 mile course and the weather can change dramatically over the course of a lap.  You can top a hill and all of a sudden you're in rain.  Speeds top out around 200 mph.  Most of the course is roads with stone walls.  There are literally no safe bail out zones. 

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Insane speeds & not on a track, but rather on roads and streets around the island, through towns with trees and stone walls right next to the road, etc. 

And outside town they run along ridges with steep dropoffs or cliffs just off the road, littered with big rocks. There are bumps that make them catch air, etc, etc. And it's all at flat out qualifying pace, minus the racing portion of the sidecars. So basically ...

armageddon-scariest.gif

(sorry, couldn't edit the earlier post to add this bit)

Edited by wood

1 minute ago, ConferenceRoom said:

That's all you had to say. The scariest environment imaginable. 

Such a stupid, silly movie but I'm going to watch it every time. 

Out of rep from the epic baseball game thread last night, but yeah, me too. Guilty pleasure.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1