2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

So I woke up in the middle of the night, remembered we were supposed to get storms, checked the KXAN weather app and it shows a big cluster of storms had already passed through.  LCRA's Hydromet says we got no rain, though.  Did these storms form east of town or is the LCRA site borked?

I can't find a radar loop that goes far enough back in time to catch that front from, say, midnight on.

No rain here, moose out front shoulda told you. 

Looks like it all sparked up to our southeast. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Would love PhD (is he still around?) to chime in regarding the weather pattern for the past month. Yes, it's been grey, overcast, and drizzly. November we got about 4.5" here, but halfway through December it's about 0.1" despite most days being really damp.

But what I'm noticing is that KXAN is having a hell of a time forecasting rain. Seems like the percentages jump around constantly -- and not in a normal way where they forecast rain and we "just" miss it. It can show 40% chance three days out and then the next day show 0%. Is there something going on that's unusual? 

10 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i heard thunder around 5 or 6 this morning but don't think we got any rain.

Our thunder and lightning started at 4:30 on the nose.  Had no idea we were going to have storms overnight.  I woke up and went outside thinking Ft Hood was live firing at 4:30 am until a bolt struck just down toward the end of my street. Climb back in bed to find my 2 and 1 year old daughters awake in there, as well as the dog.    I’ve been up since.  

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Our thunder and lightning started at 4:30 on the nose.  Had no idea we were going to have storms overnight.  I woke up and went outside thinking Ft Hood was live firing at 4:30 am until a bolt struck just down toward the end of my street. Climb back in bed to find my 2 and 1 year old daughters awake in there, as well as the dog.    I’ve been up since.  

Yup, it was crazy to wake up to the wife and dog freaking out. One hit close enough to knock the power out for a minute.