2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

Yeah. this is much heavier than I thought (that's what she said).  Good news is that weird greenish-pink thing in the sky went away which made me worry about tornadoes.  Looks like it's gonna be this heavy until lunchtime.  Which is cool.  Making a note to remind my lazy ass to go out this weekend at dusk and spray garlic for mosquitoes so kids don't get eaten alive on Halloween.  But all in all, should be a nice weekend and grass can finally get to go dormant.  If this rain hadn't occurred right now, I think we were on pace for the driest October in Austin history.  A record we seem to set every fucking goddamn year.

1 minute ago, CHIEF said:

IMG-0604.jpg

CHIEF Jr.'s sleeping spot on fall evenings when it rains. A few beers, some moonshine, a citronella candle for skeeters, and rain hitting a metal roof.

CHIEF

Some of the best nights' sleep I've ever had, were when it was raining while I was camping in my Airstream.  That's an amazing sound.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I think they went ahead and moved the Westlake-Johnson game up to tonight in anticipation of weather tomorrow.  Obviously they can't do that for every Friday game, though.

Yeah, they moved a number of games in the area to tonight.  Will still be a good number of them tomorrow.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, dammit, DFW is in an enhanced risk area tomorrow.  Seems like the potential for tornados is pretty low.

Any experts want to weigh in? https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2otlk.html

Saw that this morning.  I don't we can pretty much have severe weather here at any time (recent tornadoes in October and December) but don't recall too many "Enhanced RIsk' situations in freaking November.

They are not that uncommon.  You just didn't have that information at your fingertips as a kid or before you became interested in the weather during the internet age.  There have been 369 recorded tornadoes in Texas during the month of November since 1950.  I'm sure there were many that were not reported during those early years as the were not seen on radar or may have occurred in extremely rural areas with no reported damage. 

image.png.73c57824eaaf930417a789aeaeafbc2a.png

• Hook 'Em 2

Austin proper seems to be right on the edge. The model I saw showed a line forming literally over Austin and then hitting points east hard. If you are out in Lakeway, seemed like you may not get a drop. 

The forecasted rainfall seems to confirm:

image.png.1b4af9d1f4c0033f78f0af539a796919.png

Well, dammit, DFW is in an enhanced risk area tomorrow.  Seems like the potential for tornados is pretty low.
Any experts want to weigh in? https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2otlk.html

Local guys are talking potential for isolated supercells out in front of main squall line. Those will suck. Squall line will just be wind event.

21 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

So basically Waco and BCS will get an inch and the rest of us won't get shit. 

Truth GIF

You’re right, it’s not gonna do shit in SA or NB per usual.

Haven’t even recorded 2022 double digit rainfall total (currently at 9.25”) so far this year at SAT airport. Unreal shit, would be driest year ever recorded if we don’t make it to 10”.

Edited by Loop 1604

34 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Interesting. My daughter’s basketball team is hosting Belton this evening. I wonder if they’re going to postpone the game. Not the greatest time to be driving down I-35 with a bus full of kids.

They still let the girls play basketball indoors, right? 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

There are about 70 high school marching bands converging on San Antonio today for the Bands of America Super Regional prelim competition.  So, I'm kinda hoping 1604 is right and San Antonio gets nothing.  No offense intended...

I know several bands in LISD are having a hard time getting enough kids. Flu outbreak 

14 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I know several bands in LISD are having a hard time getting enough kids. Flu outbreak 

Yeah we're Cedar Park High, so far just a couple. They're doing their best to hold out for another 36 hours, then it can all fall apart. :)

In fact I think my daughter actually had it last week and didn't tell anyone, just so she could march at BOA-Waco. 

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

To be clear, McCallum High indeed plays indoors. But with the possibility of severe storms later in the Bell County area and the fact that Texans can’t drive for shit in inclement weather, it wouldn’t surprise me if Belton decides the roads might be too dangerous.

And the softening of America continues.

sad-indian.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah we're Cedar Park High, so far just a couple. They're doing their best to hold out for another 36 hours, then it can all fall apart. :)

In fact I think my daughter actually had it last week and didn't tell anyone, just so she could march at BOA-Waco. 

We're at Vista and there's 20 something kids, apparently Leander has 50 or so sick. Now back to the rain discussion 

• Hook 'Em 1