Texas at Oklahoma State on CBS @ 1pm.

SDG

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This team has to get better on the road, plain and simple. Gonzaga, Seton Hall, OSU and struggled badly against an undermanned KSU. All on the road.   Because we haven’t gone to Waco, Lawrence, Ames, Norman, Morgantown or Lubbock yet….

Yeah, a lot more work to play better team basketball on offense.   Defensively, we have to foul less and rebound better.  

Definitely still learning roles, and too much thinking going on right now...

Work in Progress

31 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

This was my first time getting to see the team play this year. We do not have a good win yet, do we? The two good teams that we played were both losses. Neither will hurt as losses, but notching no quality ooc wins will hurt. My question is, since this is my first time seeing the team, can they even make the tourney?

Not sure how they stack up against the good teams in the conference.

We were missing our best interior offensive player. Mitchell would've helped with consistent scoring in a game where we struggled in that particular area. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

This team was overrated due to the over rating of players like Carr and never should have been top 10 preseason. That set expectations too high. This is a 20 to 35 or so team and should make the tournament and hopefully can win a game. The fight is there but the talent needs to be upgraded. This is the opposite of last year's team that had NBA talent at frontcourt but no balls from the players or coaching staff. 

I dont know.  I think we have enough to be well within the top 20 or top 15 by the end of the season. Bears is too good a coach to have us remain stagnant for the entire season. As long as we don't have any serious chemistry issues arise due to the number of capable players on the roster I see us being much more decisive on the offensive end later in the season.  

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I think this is fair but I would put us more in the 15-25 range. The team actually has a plethora of talent. Lack of talent isn’t the problem. What the team is missing is an elite scorer. We have plenty of guys who are good talented players on both ends but we don’t have an iso scorer which every team needs to grind out wins.

Jones is the most capable scorer,  but his defensive deficiencies limit Beard's trust in him.  

Covid protocols are what they are, most teams will get dinged, but not having Tre out there was a big headwind.

I didn't like how the game got out of hand at the end -- flashbacks to UT football 2021 -- but it was a heated high energy game and we were in it until the last few minutes.  Refs didn't help, but OSU played with a ton of energy, with athleticism that we knew was there all along.  What this game really tells me is not so much we can't beat OSU at home, but rather we have almost no chance of beating Baylor on either court.  The rest of the league?  I'll take our chances.

38 minutes ago, BERT said:

Is it too much to ask for a Penders offense and a Beard defense?? 

yeah it probably is

Penders offense was just jack a lot of threes with a top of the key 3-man weave interspersed in there every now and then. 25 years ago that made for an exotic approach to basketball but in today's era we'd complain more about him than we did about Shaka if we weren't hitting from outside.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

this team is no more fun to watch than any of shaka's.

i'm still happy with beard, but this shit has not been fun this year.

Ok this is just ridiculous. Shaka’s teams had no plan and minimal effort. Beard plays a style that isn’t always aesthetically pleasing. Slow the game down, set screens off ball and work for easy baskets. That isn’t the most entertaining always but his teams play with effort and desire and the plan is obvious. Watching a Shaka team was painful in that you knew the quality of play was awful. That’s not the case here

• Like 1

I mean, I’ll trust KenPom, who has us in the top 20, currently higher than any Shaka led team. But we still don’t really have a single good win on the resume. I think an extremely undermanned West Virginia is our best win?

also I don’t recall Shaka’s teams ever giving poor or minimal effort. They were just horribly coached.

*I know there is a lot that goes into the equation but ...

I'm trying to understand how we can have the following PPG (from last year) and not be able to play offense:

6.5 (backup at KY)

Yes, I know.  Defense first and Kenpom has us at an efficient offense, but geez, we scored 5 points in the first 10 mins of this game.

*This isn't a "Fire the coach, he sucks" point.  I'm just curious as to how all these guys forgot how to score.

8 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm trying to understand how we can have the following PPG (from last year) and not be able to play offense:

6.5 (backup at KY)

Yes, I know.  Defense first and Kenpom has us at an efficient offense, but geez, we scored 5 points in the first 10 mins of this game.

*This isn't a "Fire the coach, he sucks" point.  I'm just curious as to how all these guys forgot how to score.

everyone is in a new offense, and everyone is new to each other. and, everyone is used to being The Man. i thought we'd have jelled more by now, but i'm not losing hope just yet. i've been posting about it all season here- indecision, passing up good looks, playing more passively than aggressively- our guys are thinking way too much, instead of just playing.

it's not something you can track like a statistic, but it's so real, and so important. when hoopers are at their best their brains are turned off and they become hooping machines, void of over-thinking anything. our guys are in their heads, no doubt because of all of the newness that surrounds them. this will be the story of our season- the more our guys get comfortable with each other and with Beard's style, the more of a threat we are to beat anybody. I'm still preaching patience, but we do need to see improvement.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

6.5 (backup at KY)

I think it’s a combination of a lot of things. First off the motion offense that we run there aren’t always a ton of “plays”. It generally relies on certain foundational principles rather than plays to create a specific shot. That takes a lot of learning, teamwork, and understanding of what is required. That stuff doesn’t get picked up very quickly and is a lot of the reason that beards teams have traditionally gotten better offensively as the year goes on. Second is we have a lot of guys coming to a new team and needing to understand their role in general. Carr, Allen, etc. were the unquestioned go to players for their team and were given more shots and more time with the ball. Carr is the perfect example of this. He’s shooting better from the floor than he ever has but is taking 6 fewer shots per game and 4 less FTs per game.

The talent didn’t go away from these guys but there is a substantial learning curve to the offense, plus understanding your role, plus fewer opps. All in all the offense should get better but don’t expect us to be high scoring or high flying. We will be slow and methodical and work for good scoring chances.

• Hook 'Em 5

33 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

also I don’t recall Shaka’s teams ever giving poor or minimal effort. They were just horribly coached.

What? In Morgantown two years ago, the team flat up and quit. They were down 45-20 at the half and ultimately lost 97-59.

Same team, same year, they lost 70-48 at Providence, 81-52 at ISU, and 81-59 at Okie Lite in what some considered to be a tournament play-in game (before COVID shut down the entire season).

Terrible effort and coaching in all four of those games.

Some of you have absolutely no long-term memory and only seem to care/react to what happened today. Well, in case you've also forgotten, please bear this in mind:

This entire season is gravy. Had Shaka hung around, the roster he would've had probably wouldn't have won more than nine or 10 games all year, and that's being extremely generous.

• Hook 'Em 5

Excellent responses gentlemen.  Glad you took my post as a question (which it was) and not irrational bitching.

As long as we beat that cocksucker Barnes at the end of the month.  Just kidding Shadow.  I'm looking forward to that game.  I'm a TX alum; wife is a Vol grad.  We've already got tickets.

16 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

What? In Morgantown two years ago, the team flat up and quit. They were down 45-20 at the half and ultimately lost 97-59.

Same team, same year, they lost 70-48 at Providence, 81-52 at ISU, and 81-59 at Okie Lite in what some considered to be a tournament play-in game (before COVID shut down the entire season).

Terrible effort and coaching in all four of those games.

Some of you have absolutely no long-term memory and only seem to care/react to what happened today. Well, in case you've also forgotten, please bear this in mind:

This entire season is gravy. Had Shaka hung around, the roster he would've had probably wouldn't have won more than nine or 10 games all year, and that's being extremely generous.

Did that Kansas team quit when we beat them 84-59?

Rattling off blowout scores doesnt prove they “quit.”  Getting thoroughly out-prepared, outplayed, out-hustled, out-coached, doesn’t mean they “quit.” And it’s ridiculous to accuse them of quitting in that OSU play-in game. That same team went on a 5-game winning streak and beat two ranked teams on the road. How did a team that routinely “quit” in the middle of games pull that off? A team that won three straight road games quit in the middle of their most important game? No. Shaka just fucking sucked.

the “quitting” shit is lazy. Show me more than the score if you want to accuse those players of quitting.

1 minute ago, CurlyDumps said:

the “quitting” shit is lazy. Show me more than the score if you want to accuse those players of quitting.

What's lazy is choosing to forget what has gone before and suggesting that Shaka's players never quit. You think the Longhorns lost by nearly 40 points in Morgantown because they got outschemed? Did you watch that game ... or were you too lazy?

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

What's lazy is choosing to forget what has gone before and suggesting that Shaka's players never quit. You think the Longhorns lost by nearly 40 points in Morgantown because they got outschemed? Did you watch that game ... or were you too lazy?

So did Kansas quit when we beat them 84-59? That’s the only possible explanation right?

My response was about your contention that Texas players never gave "poor or minimal effort" under Shaka, a statement so staggeringly stupid it suggests you either a) never actually watched Shaka's teams or b) have some sort of impairment to your memory.

I watched all four games I listed and (unfortunately) still remember them well, particularly the WVU and OSU games. Texas didn't merely get outcoached; the players weren't giving it their best and got worked from opening tip to final whistle.

Why don't you look beyond the scoreline and see what I'm talking about. Or are you too lazy?

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

My response was about your contention that Texas players never gave "poor or minimal effort" under Shaka, a statement so staggeringly stupid it suggests you either a) never actually watched Shaka's teams or b) have some sort of impairment to your memory.

I watched all four games I listed and (unfortunately) still remember them well, particularly the WVU and OSU games. Texas didn't merely get outcoached; the players weren't giving it their best and got worked from opening tip to final whistle.

Why don't you look beyond the scoreline and see what I'm talking about. Or are you too lazy?

Maybe I’m remembering incorrectly but i thought Shaka also was pretty open about not running havoc because he couldn’t get the effort from some guys to do it. 
Either way shakas teams definitely lacked effort at times

Lmao at the excuses. This team isn’t any more fun to watch than Shaka’s team and no one was complaining about the talent on the team prior to the season starting. Any “upgrades” you take away from watching this team means shit based on how the season has gone thus far. The results are the results. Best I can say is the season has been slightly less frustrating.

5 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Lmao at the excuses. This team isn’t any more fun to watch than Shaka’s team and no one was complaining about the talent on the team prior to the season starting. Any “upgrades” you take away from watching this team means shit based on how the season has gone thus far. The results are the results. Best I can say is the season has been slightly less frustrating.

Yea I’m sorry but if you think this is remotely similar to Shaka’s tenure then you just don’t know what you’re watching.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea I’m sorry but if you think this is remotely similar to Shaka’s tenure then you just don’t know what you’re watching.

Where did I say this was similar to Shaka's tenure? I said the team isn't anymore enjoyable to watch. Do you enjoy watching this team? The means to the result doesn't have to be the exact same. Do I feel like I'm watching a Shaka team, no. Do I enjoy what I've seen this far, also no. Not sure why that is so hard to comprehend.

Edited by SarkAfterDark

11 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Where did I say this was similar to Shaka's tenure? I said the team isn't anymore enjoyable to watch. Do you enjoy watching this team? The means to the result doesn't have to be the exact same. Do I feel like I'm watching a Shaka team, no. Do I enjoy what I've seen this far, also no. Not sure why that is so hard to comprehend.

So your issue is style of play? I guess I can understand wishing we played higher tempo but then I guess I’m not sure what exactly you would have expected. Chris Beard is from the Bobby Knight tree and his teams play like it.

You we’re acting in your post like this team wasn’t any better than Shaka’s teams and that is pretty obviously not the case. The results are the results and this team is 12-3 with the best defense in the country. So yea they are more fun

Edited by hobbes2702

12 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

So your issue is style of play? I guess I can understand wishing we played higher tempo but then I guess I’m not sure what exactly you would have expected. Chris Beard is from the Bobby Knight tree and his teams play like it.

You we’re acting in your post like this team wasn’t any better than Shaka’s teams and that is pretty obviously not the case. The results are the results and this team is 12-3 with the best defense in the country. So yea they are more fun

tech's offense today was MUCH more enjoyable to watch than the texas offense was.  their defense was better too.

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

My issue is this team isn't very good right now for its own reasons unrelated to Shaka. This team is 12-3 but has lost to every team they have played that had a pulse. Our best win is against a not very good Kansas St team. You didn't answer the question regarding if you are enjoying what you are watching thus far.

13 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

My issue is this team isn't very good right now for its own reasons unrelated to Shaka. This team is 12-3 but has lost to every team they have played that had a pulse. Our best win is against a not very good Kansas St team. You didn't answer the question regarding if you are enjoying what you are watching thus far.

I’m thoroughly enjoying watching our defensive performances. I don’t like the style of offense we run but like I said we know what we are getting from a Beard offense. This team is plenty good. Probably one fo the 15-25 best teams in the country. The offense needs to improve but we play elite defense and will get better on both ends. I guess I’m just not sure what you are expecting.

I never said Carrot Top sucks, dumbass.  I said he was our best player.  Reading comprehension is hard, I know.
Oh wow, look! This jackass has watched every game! Somebody give him an award or medal!  Number 1 fan is present!!
You won’t do shit you fucking bum.

You are such a cunt.
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

Is this a disqualifying factor in judging the team? Because I mean, you know, umm, ok...

DId I say that?  No, I didn't.  I said exactly what I meant, but if you're looking for a fight, OK, good for you.

Texas fans.  Man, we suck.

And to whoever questioned if anyone enjoyed watching this team -- I do.  I fucking love watching a team actually execute on defense.  Sue me.

42 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

good lord no one is pining for the shaka smart days.  we're just saying that this team is not super fun to watch offensively and it'd be nice to beat someone who matters.

We will never be “fun” to watch but you already knew that. We’ve also played zero games at full strength. Sure we’ve had maybe 5-7 games with the full roster available but Disu is getting stronger each week. Long way to go here but yeah, it’s gonna be ugly no matter what.

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m thoroughly enjoying watching our defensive performances. I don’t like the style of offense we run but like I said we know what we are getting from a Beard offense. This team is plenty good. Probably one fo the 15-25 best teams in the country. The offense needs to improve but we play elite defense and will get better on both ends. I guess I’m just not sure what you are expecting.

Regardless of style I'm expecting a team that is competent on both ends of the floor. But let's see how long we can get away with just saying this is Beards style on offense and if the defense holds up against better teams.