Texas at Oklahoma State on CBS @ 1pm.

SDG

This is a mediocre Beard team, not a good one. I’m not convinced Beard is coaching us well on offense to this point. “They’ll be prepared for the tournament.” Prepared to do what? Grind out a game or two and get upset in the same period by good guards? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Sal said:

This is a mediocre Beard team, not a good one. I’m not convinced Beard is coaching us well on offense to this point. “They’ll be prepared for the tournament.” Prepared to do what? Grind out a game or two and get upset in the same period by good guards? 

The stats show that we are plenty good on offense. We play slow and always will under beard but we shoot a high percentage from the floor abs generally don’t take bad shots. 
Todays game being an exception obviously 

Okay, now I'm pretty doom and gloom about this game, lol. 

And as much as I want to complain about the officiating, I also remember OSU missing a ton of bunnies. Texas wasn't going to go undefeated in conference. I'm hoping for something around a 12-6 conference record. That's still very doable.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BoosterAndrews said:

You’re a gigantic smelly pussy. “I can’t take reading valid criticism of my basketball team, someone else please save me and take care of the mean troll, please halp guyz!!”

fuck off.

You're a retard that literally just started watching today. Fuck all the way off.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, BoosterAndrews said:

You’re a gigantic smelly pussy. “I can’t take reading valid criticism of my basketball team, someone else please save me and take care of the mean troll, please halp guyz!!”

fuck off.

Well it was nice knowing you.

I think you have to have seen more than 5 mins of the team play to make “valid criticism”

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

How the hell was Carr so touted out of Minnesota? What does he do well? He’s slow and can’t shoot.

We’ve seen enough of him at this point to know he’s not a difference maker.

He's really a poor fit for what Beard wants to do, but in fairness there wasn't much in the way of options. What we really need for Beard's offense is a PG who can penetrate and also consistently hit 17ft jumpers off of 1 dribble pull-ups and curl cuts. In all honestly kids today don't really work on the midrange stuff that makes the old Indiana offense efficient. Beard's first choice was a high school recruit named TyTy Washington who ended up at Kentucky. Regardless,  I agree Carr was overrated as the #1 transfer.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

2 minutes ago, Sal said:

What is your expectation for this team this year? If they grind out a game or two in the NCAA tournament, I'm pretty excited.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SL Xpress said:

What is your expectation for this team this year? If they grind out a game or two in the NCAA tournament, I'm pretty excited.

I’m happy with that bc we haven’t had 1 NCAAT win in years. 

Just now, GeorgetownLaw said:

Incredibly ignorant playing…dribble…dribble some more…dribble…dribble some more…miss a three. 

We’re not talented enough to break them down and we don’t have much of an inside game.   The only time we got clean looks at the basket was when we cut and their guy lost his man.  And quite a few of those we couldn’t finish.   We’re just a collection of average to above average players but nobody special.  Allen is our best player.  He’s pretty good but not going to take over a game.  

• Hook 'Em 1

This was my first time getting to see the team play this year. We do not have a good win yet, do we? The two good teams that we played were both losses. Neither will hurt as losses, but notching no quality ooc wins will hurt. My question is, since this is my first time seeing the team, can they even make the tourney?

Not sure how they stack up against the good teams in the conference.

Just now, BoosterAndrews said:

fuck off.

Your definition of valid criticism ("This is the first game I've watched all season, Carr sucks and Carrot Top sucks") is fucking retarded. I've watched every game this season and have been on every game thread. Plenty of posters offer valid criticism, as do I. Your idiotic, reactionary, pointless attacks and name-calling of our own players is a fucking disgrace. Just like the thundercunt you are. This place is better off without you. If you're not going to willingly leave or commit seppoku, we'll do it for you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Capn81 said:

This was my first time getting to see the team play this year. We do not have a good win yet, do we? The two good teams that we played were both losses. Neither will hurt as losses, but notching no quality ooc wins will hurt. My question is, since this is my first time seeing the team, can they even make the tourney?

West Virginia was 11-1 when we played them

3 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

In a crucial possession, Carr did not take a wide open 3 and it eventually led to a terrible 3 by a well guarded Disu. If they are watching tape and someone doesn’t yell at him for that, we will not improve. But last year, Carr aggressively took that shot. 

He also missed Allen on the dive to the basket in that same action. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

Yes this team will have no problem making the tourney. Jesus 

3 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

Yeah, the expectations were much too high before the season tipped off. I still think we'll improve over the course of the season, and I can't imagine without an epic disaster that we won't make the tourney, but we won't be much over .500 in conference. And we'll need some quality wins at some point. 

• Like 1

This team has to get better on the road, plain and simple. Gonzaga, Seton Hall, OSU and struggled badly against an undermanned KSU. All on the road.   Because we haven’t gone to Waco, Lawrence, Ames, Norman, Morgantown or Lubbock yet….

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, honolulu horn said:

Your definition of valid criticism ("This is the first game I've watched all season, Carr sucks and Carrot Top sucks") is fucking retarded. I've watched every game this season and have been on every game thread. Plenty of posters offer valid criticism, as do I. Your idiotic, reactionary, pointless attacks and name-calling of our own players is a fucking disgrace. Just like the thundercunt you are. This place is better off without you. If you're not going to willingly leave or commit seppoku, we'll do it for you. 

I never said Carrot Top sucks, dumbass.  I said he was our best player.  Reading comprehension is hard, I know.

Oh wow, look! This jackass has watched every game! Somebody give him an award or medal!  Number 1 fan is present!!

You won’t do shit you fucking bum.

• Fuck You 8

This team was overrated due to the over rating of players like Carr and never should have been top 10 preseason. That set expectations too high. This is a 20 to 35 or so team and should make the tournament and hopefully can win a game. The fight is there but the talent needs to be upgraded. This is the opposite of last year's team that had NBA talent at frontcourt but no balls from the players or coaching staff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

This team was overrated due to the over rating of players like Carr and never should have been top 10 preseason. That set expectations too high. This is a 20 to 35 or so team and should make the tournament and hopefully can win a game. The fight is there but the talent needs to be upgraded. This is the opposite of last year's team that had NBA talent at frontcourt but no balls from the players or coaching staff. 

I think this is fair but I would put us more in the 15-25 range. The team actually has a plethora of talent. Lack of talent isn’t the problem. What the team is missing is an elite scorer. We have plenty of guys who are good talented players on both ends but we don’t have an iso scorer which every team needs to grind out wins.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

Games like this is why I don't think we finish much higher than .500 in the conference.

Well, I don't see them beating Baylor, even in Austin, unless the stars align. And I don't think they beat Kansas in Phog Allen. Probably not in Austin, either, but I feel like the chances are better there than with the Bears. A lot of dog fights outside of that. But maybe a sweep against OU and TCU? Plus doubling up on KSU? Then it's the game against WVA in Morgantown, the two against Iowa State, who has come out of nowhere under their new coach, and the hate matches against Tech. And the return game versus OSU. It depends on if they get swept by Baylor and KU. 

The team needs to keep on improving. 

One thing I will say is this is a hard system to recruit to. I know Chris Beard is a very good recruiter, and with the new NIL rules I foresee more money coming to players at Texas down the line. But he's going to have a tough time winning recruiting battles for the best players in the country against the kind of competition he'll be going against. And I don't see any NBA locks on this roster. 

Anyway, I enjoy watching this team light years more than Shaka Smart's teams. I feel like Beard has a vision for what he wants for his program. In his first year he scrambled to put together the roster he did, and I'm pleased with the result. A lot of sausage making going on right now, but that's better than the sheep shit I watched for 6 years prior to this.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Agree. I think we can say we’re better than we would have been if we stood pat with Shaka and that’s something.  But this does not at all look like a second or third weekend team.  

Yeah, I think this team is turning into one of those teams that doesn't lead the conference but is still a pain in the ass to play. No one wants to play a team like ours that is built on defense, half court tempo, and tenacity. Hopefully we get some offense at the right time and that gets us to the second weekend in the tourney. Right now our team offense is dreadful. But we are much better than we would've been with Shaka, and I am optimistic in the future of Texas MBB once we start getting the players that better fit Beard's system. Most fans were expecting to easily compete for the conference this season, but it's gonna be way bumpier than that. 

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Anyway, I enjoy watching this team light years more than Shaka Smart's teams. I feel like Beard has a vision for what he wants for his program. In his first year he scrambled to put together the roster he did, and I'm pleased with the result. A lot of sausage making going on right now, but that's better than the sheep shit I watched for 6 years prior to this.

Exactly.

18 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

He's way better than Shaka ofc but yeah there was a lot of complaining about that, and our record in close/OT games was very bad. Pretty much the lone black mark on his tenure.

From a 30,000 ft view I actually prefer Shaka's open floor, wide spacing approach to offense over Beard's old school approach with Knight's Indiana motion, but in order to do what Shaka attempted to do your players have to actually be exceptional with their shot selection, headiness, and fundamentals.  And of course Shaka didn't incorporate enough movement or any other details to be consistent with what he wanted to do so it looked like shit more often than not in the end.  Also that pretty approach to the game is analogous to what you often see with spread teams in football.  There's a tendency to be less mentally tough and gritty when the games devolve into slugfest as often happens in college basketball.