Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

21 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Same reason the rules are different for jumping to the professional ranks in football/basketball/baseball -- no logic whatsoever.

There is plenty of logic with those rules. No one is good enough to play in the MLB or NFL at 18 - that isn't true for basketball.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

not relevant to this thread, but this is where it will get the most eyes on it. looks like Texas will be represented in The Basketball Tournament next year. It appears that the team will be Myck Kabongo, Jordan Hamilton, Dexter Pittman, and Prince Ibeh, coached by The GOAT. 

30479E9E-7BCA-49E3-9A56-27D704E54F5B.jpeg

adding to this list: can ridley, j'covan, demarcus holland, clint chapman, and osetkowski.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

mlb all star game moments GIF

Griffey Jr. was 19 his rookie season and played 2 years in the minors. ARod was actually the last 18 year old to play in the MLB in 1994 but just played in 65 games his first two seasons. 

There's been probably 100 18 year old basketball players good enough to play in the NBA in that span - including all of the ones that actually did. 

this should be the best defense we've ever had at UT. we have the size, athleticism, the skill, and the depth to just smother teams in the half court, and to turn them over like crazy.

now, it's only been 3 halves of basketball, and it's been against two teams that integrating a bunch of new faces, so i'll take that into account when setting my expectations, but all of our new guys appear to be totally bought in on that end, and that is just huge. health permitting, this really should be a suffocating defensive unit.

On 11/6/2022 at 10:31 AM, Underdog said:

Is that Wacker injury the biggest what if in Texas basketball history?  Wife (gf at the time) and I didn’t there until after the injury had happened.  Gotta love the old HOT Coliseum with the tartan court on a rodeo floor. 

I'm late to the party, but for me, the biggest what if is... What if PJ Tucker had returned for his senior year at Texas?  He was only drafted in the middle of the 2nd round, so it isn't like he was a high draft pick. 

If he returned, it would have made a huge difference since the 2006-2007 team was one of the youngest in NCAA history.  He was a beast and previous Big-12 PoY.  I would have loved seeing him play with Durant and Co.  We could have moved Durant to the 3 and gone with:

• PG - Augustin
  • SG - AJ Abrams
  • SF - Kevin Durant
  • PF - Damion James
  • C - PJ Tucker
  • Bench:  Justin Mason, Connor Atchley, etc.

Then you could bring Mason off the bench and sub for any of Durant, James or Tucker.  Man I would have enjoyed seeing that.

33 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I'm late to the party, but for me, the biggest what if is... What if PJ Tucker had returned for his senior year at Texas?  He was only drafted in the middle of the 2nd round, so it isn't like he was a high draft pick. 

If he returned, it would have made a huge difference since the 2006-2007 team was one of the youngest in NCAA history.  He was a beast and previous Big-12 PoY.  I would have loved seeing him play with Durant and Co.  We could have moved Durant to the 3 and gone with:

• PG - Augustin
  • SG - AJ Abrams
  • SF - Kevin Durant
  • PF - Damion James
  • C - PJ Tucker
  • Bench:  Justin Mason, Connor Atchley, etc.

Then you could bring Mason off the bench and sub for any of Durant, James or Tucker.  Man I would have enjoyed seeing that.

Same for me, but remember he wasn't too good at playing school his sophomore year.

Is that Wacker injury the biggest what if in Texas basketball history?  Wife (gf at the time) and I didn’t there until after the injury had happened.  Gotta love the old HOT Coliseum with the tartan court on a rodeo floor. 

underdog, HOT has some interesting memories.  HOT was actually nothing more than a big barn with a basketball court at one end. I don't know if this was planned but I wouldn't put this past the bears but every time we went there, they had an FFA convention.  The visitors' locker room was at the other end from the court.so we had to literally walk-through livestock and their droppings.  I still can't stop laughing about that to this day. Fortunately, we didn't have any livestock casualties. 

That day, we were tied with Tech for 1st place. They lost that afternoon to SMU I believe so we went into this game knowing that if we won., we were SWC champs. Now for all of you coaches or thinking about being a hoops coach, remember this. Baylor came out in a diamond and 1 and the 1 was covering Larry. Obviously, the purpose was to keep Larry as far away from the ball as possible. He was being covered by a guard, so our coaches put into a 2-1-2 with Larry roaming the lane. It was a great move and I think that we scored roughly 90+ points and won the SWC and Larry won SWC MVP for the second time. Good memories.

And yes, that may have been the worst injury in UT hoops history.

While we might not have any real deal sharp shooters on this team, I believe that our guards will be so dynamic and so much better off the dribble than we were last year, that it will consistently lead to much better open looks from three. Hunter, Morris, and Carr can all blow by their man and then either shoot or dish, and Jabari is so savvy that he as well is able to get around his man and into the paint/to the rim. i believe that we will see more 1 v 1 dribble drives this year, which will result in defenses collapsing on our guards, leading to consistent, wide open, catch-and-shoot threes. by march, the dynamism in this year's offense should make last year's team look like we were running a cave man offense. i'm really excited about our potential improvement on that end. 

bigger task for Chris Beard: rebuilding this program from the shambles it was left in, or getting UT students to become actual basketball fans?

A0C5A905-40E9-488E-B0A3-9F0E41A8A1E6.thumb.jpeg.97da101ce59453eaf504396611a5544c.jpeg

I’m not big on Internet flaming but I hope anybody replying to that guy is letting him have it. “I have to go to another game and get a free meal to guarantee a spot against the #2 team.” Good grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

I’m not big on Internet flaming but I hope anybody replying to that guy is letting him have it. “I have to go to another game and get a free meal to guarantee a spot against the #2 team.” Good grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's getting destroyed in the comments. 

Remember the old debate about whether the students won't come unless they have better seats vs why should they get better seats until they prove they will show up consistently? Maybe we're getting the answer.  A few other variables though with the newness factor, plus arena more on campus, a coach who makes student engagement a top priority, and a pretty damn good team.

They did always have the upper deck for overflow though. I still think those panels open up one day but it won't be in year one that's for sure. Students were allowed to stand in south upper deck bar area (bar not open), but they have zero effect on crowd noise from there.

On 11/6/2022 at 1:36 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Barnes hit a stretch there where he managed to crush multiple deep tournament runs with his ridiculous iron hand.

I mean, when the greatest coach in UT history -- the fucking SWIMMING coach -- takes you aside and teaches you what is effectively "taper", and you follow his advice for about a week, well, you get what we got.  

Yes, I know, I just cued up a gigantic Barnes tangent.

It was so frustrating to be ranked in the top 5/10 in January & February and shit the bed in March with a burnt out team. Every. Fucking. Year.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Remember the old debate about whether the students won't come unless they have better seats vs why should they get better seats until they prove they will show up consistently? Maybe we're getting the answer.  A few other variables though with the newness factor, plus arena more on campus, a coach who makes student engagement a top priority, and a pretty damn good team.

They did always have the upper deck for overflow though. I still think those panels open up one day but it won't be in year one that's for sure. Students were allowed to stand in south upper deck bar area (bar not open), but they have zero effect on crowd noise from there.

that debate was settled a long time ago. giving the students better seats changed *nothing*. however, a year and a half of chris beard moving heaven and earth to create an improved student atmosphere? yeah, that's having a big time positive effect. 

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

It was so frustrating to be ranked in the top 5/10 in January & February and shit the bed in March with a burnt out team. Every. Fucking. Year.

here are the years under barnes where texas was ranked in the top 10 in janurary/february, and their tourney results:

2011: ranked no.3 in kenpom, we were screwed by the committee and given a 4 seed, and then lost on a blown call vs an arizona team that went to the EE

2010: total crash and burn

2008: went to the Elite 8

2006: went to the Elite 8

2004: went to the Sweet 16 with a team that had no business being ranked that highly or going that far. outstanding coaching job by Barnes

2003: went to the Final 4

so, what you describe as happening every. fucking. year. actually happened once under barnes. once.

your obsession with that man and insistence on whining about him every time you post is super sad. in fact, if you make one more dumbass, uninformed, inflammatory post like this then i suggest that immamac permanently change your handle to "Rick Barnes Lover." you're seriously sad dude. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 3

I've always wondered if Jim Krivacs would have averaged 40 ppg if the three point basket had been in use in the 70s.

On 11/6/2022 at 11:42 AM, justhookit said:

Does anyone know what years @realgreggymplayed?

Yes

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

here are the years under barnes where texas was ranked in the top 10 in janurary/february, and their tourney results:

2011: ranked no.3 in kenpom, we were screwed by the committee and given a 4 seed, and then lost on a blown call vs an arizona team that went to the EE

2010: total crash and burn

2008: went to the Elite 8

2006: went to the Elite 8

2004: went to the Sweet 16 with a team that had no business being ranked that highly or going that far. outstanding coaching job by Barnes

2003: went to the Final 4

so, what you describe as happening every. fucking. year. actually happened once under barnes. once.

your obsession with that man and insistence on whining about him every time you post is super sad. in fact, if you make one more dumbass, uninformed, inflammatory post like this then i suggest that immamac permanently change your handle to "Rick Barnes Lover." you're seriously sad dude. 

Once huh.....(using wiki as data source, assume its accurate)

2008-2009 season: peaked at #7 in Jan, lost in second round

2009-2010 season: peaked at #1 in Jan, lost in first round

2010-2011 season peaked at #3 in Feb, lost in second round

he shit the bed three straight years 09-11, and thats when the fan base got restless. Unfortunately we had to wait four more seasons (with Qty 1  tourney win) before we sent him packing. Hell of a coach his first 10 seasons, shit the bed his last 7). 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Once huh.....(using wiki as data source, assume its accurate)

2008-2009 season: peaked at #7 in Jan, lost in second round

2009-2010 season: peaked at #1 in Jan, lost in first round

2010-2011 season peaked at #3 in Feb, lost in second round

he shit the bed three straight years 09-11, and thats when the fan base got restless. Unfortunately we had to wait four more seasons (with Qty 1  tourney win) before we sent him packing. Hell of a coach his first 10 seasons, shit the bed his last 7). 

dope revisionist history. 

2008-09: we spent exactly one week in the top 10 in january/february (it was the first week of january). we were unranked by the second week of february and went into the tour eg unranked. we lost to Duke in a 7 vs 2 game where we outplayed Duke for the majority of the game only to have them get that special Duke officiating down the stretch. here was our mighty "top 10" roster:

59B43FB9-0691-403D-B11F-27A1EFFBC199.thumb.jpeg.58d8b250915f2814a647d883daf46cb0.jpeg

but yeah, sure, getting boned by the refs in a game where are the 7 seed against 2 seed Duke is such a total flameout, and totally aligns with RickBarnesLover's assertion that we were a top 10 team in february that flamed out in the tourney! 🙄 🙄 🙄 

2009-10: as covered in the post of mine which you quoted, this was a total crash and burn.

2010-2011: should i just copy/paste the post you quoted? we got absolutely screwed by the committee (no.3 in kenpom, yet we're a 4 seed that plays the toughest first two opponents of anyone in the tourney), and not only should we have been a 2 seed, Arizona should have been a 3, maybe a 4 seed. then behind getting screwed by the selection committee, J'Covan Brown puts on his best "Travis Mays vs Purdue" impression and straight up wills Texas to a win vs Arizona, only to have it taken away by a referee who couldn't handle the moment.

now i ask you: what kind of Texas fan describes that as "three straight years of shitting the bed in the tourney"? what kind of Texas fan (or really anyone with a brain) points yo those seasons as examples of Texas "being in the top 10 in february only to shit the bed in the tournament"? ESEPCIALLY that 2011 team that screwed 10 different ways? what kind of Texas fan talks shit about that team or that loss as if it wasn't one of, if not THE biggest screw jobs in UT Basketball history?

No Texas fan does these things. No Texas fan rewrites history like this to shit on our former coaches and players. Only a soy boy beta cuck bitterwhiteguy-wannabe i del would say these things. congratulations; you've made an ass of yourself.

7 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

reminder of what we're actually talking about. ^^^^^^^ 

"being ranked in the top 5/10 in January & February and then shitting the bed in March with a burnt out team. Every. Fucking. Year."

this happened once. if you want to claim it didn't, you're wrong. if you want to make an argument that rick barnes should have done better in March, then don't latch yourself to the arguments of the saddest, most rick barnes obsessed mongoloid retard in this forum. 

29 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The biggest WTFs were the Avery Bradley number 1 in the nation to dumpster fire team, and then his last team which returned everyone and added Myles Turner, but still somehow managed to be much worse than the prior year.  

But, yes, there were a number of his teams that finished with a real dud in conference play and the tournament compared to the lofty heights where they had been at some point in the season.  

yeah, this. in 16 seasons at Texas Barnes's WTF tourney losses are the 6 vs 11 game vs Temple (both teams got screwed seed wise, but we still got our asses kicked), the 2007 loss to USC (only because of the margin of victory- losing to that team wasn't a huge upset), and the 2006 loss to LSU where we essentially could not have played worse, and still only lost in OT. 

those are the three really tough tourney results at Texas. and then, as you say, the 2010 meltdown when we had the best team in the country, and his final year where he totally misused Turner and failed to come close to meeting expectations- those are his two biggest WTF teams. you can easily look back at his 16 years at Trxas and find an equal/greater amount of teams that played over their heads and did better than they ever should have. 

final takeaway: anyone who encourages RickBarnesLover's ubiquitous, tangential, obsessive posts about rick barnes should feel shame. 

34 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

dope revisionist history. 

2008-09: we spent exactly one week in the top 10 in january/february (it was the first week of january). we were unranked by the second week of february and went into the tour eg unranked. we lost to Duke in a 7 vs 2 game where we outplayed Duke for the majority of the game only to have them get that special Duke officiating down the stretch. here was our mighty "top 10" roster:

I dont think you know what that means. I didnt revise shit. My post was factually accurate. Your claim was that he only crapped the bed once when being ranked in the top 10 in Jan/feb. In fact he did it 3 straight years. We've all seen you come up with excuses for every bad tournament exit, and frankly its crap. When your sample size is as large as Barnes, you will have some bad luck and some good luck. But when you look at his winning percentage among coaches that went to the tournament a lot, Barnes record is horrible. he is what he is.  A reliably great regular season coach and a complete dogshit tournament coach. https://www.dbwoerner.com/basketball/coaches/all_122.html

On another note, i just picked up mid court seats (section 119) for $30 (including fees) for tonights game agains HBU. Cheap tickets available tonight to anyone that wants to check out the moody center.

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I dont think you know what that means. I didnt revise shit. My post was factually accurate.

wrong. i'll copy/paste for you one more time, but that's it, i'm not rehashing this for the umpteenth time with someone who can't read and/or doesn't know what there're talking about.

It was so frustrating to be ranked in the top 5/10 in January & February and shit the bed in March with a burnt out team. Every. Fucking. Year.

2009-10 is the only season that meets this criteria. ipso facto, your assertion that that ^^^ happened three years in a row is not, in fact, "factually accurate". 

here's my last copy/paste and/or comment on RickBarnesLover's assertion:

this happened once. if you want to claim it didn't, you're wrong.if you want to make an argument that rick barnes should have done better in March, then don't latch yourself to the arguments of the saddest, most rick barnes obsessed mongoloid retard in this forum. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Un. Fucking.  Believable.

Totally.  Fucking.  Predictable.

It's as if Derka didn't actually pay attention those 3 years.  Whatever way you want you parse it, we had a badass team in early conference play and shit the bed later.  Arguing otherwise is absolutely stupid.

it's as if you can't fucking read. i'm not going to copy and paste what RickBarnesLover said again. be willfully obtuse if you want to.

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

Lulz, I'm done. I'm off to the game. Enjoy watching it in your Rick Barnes pajamas. Unless you'll be at the game tonight, I'll buy you a beer. 

lulz indeed. you were wrong. there is no debating it. it's ok to just admit it when you're wrong. hook em. 

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

Lulz, I'm done. I'm off to the game. Enjoy watching it in your Rick Barnes pajamas. Unless you'll be at the game tonight, I'll buy you a beer. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Un. Fucking.  Believable.

Totally.  Fucking.  Predictable.

It's as if Derka didn't actually pay attention those 3 years.  Whatever way you want you parse it, we had a badass team in early conference play and shit the bed later.  Arguing otherwise is absolutely stupid.

i am so sick of the whining. here; bathe in how wrong you are:

• Haha 2

Let me rephrase - I would expect Tyrese to stay. I'm sure an NBA team would take a flyer on Terio but he'd be playing in the G League.

Doing some more digging I found a couple of top 60s and Tyrese made both of them. I guess I'm underrating his athleticism.

Terio wasn't listed anywhere - like I said, a team might take a 2nd round flyer on him but he could easily go undrafted. He's very raw. 

Edited by ztejas