Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

I'd been looking for excuses not to go see them play Illinois at MSG, a relatively short and easy train ride away. 

... at least MSG is a great place to catch a game, seeing Texas in person will be great, and maybe I can reconnect with Brad Underwood somehow (knew him well while he was winning lots of games at SFA). 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Texas, at least for one night, looked like the best team in the country — full stop.

Seriously... There were moments last night I thought I was watching the NBA.

Every one of our basketball teams in the past had some flaw to work around or some scheme that emphasized one thing (Penders' offense, Barnes' defense, Smart's ego) over another (Penders' defense, Barnes' offense, Smart's overall quality of play). And that's what I've seen from most of our opponents, too.

This team busted its ass for every one of the forty minutes of play. It scored with three pointers and by charging the paint. The defense was ferocious. Athleticism was fast, powerful, and unrelenting. I saw no flaws. I saw the Harlem Globetrotters having fun with the Washington Generals.

What the hell, man.

Who WAS that basketball team wearing burnt orange?

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Honest question, not trying to start an argument;  what about if Moody hosts NCAA tournament games?  Wouldn't it make sense to open it then, especially if Texas is playing elsewhere?

Where is the Moody Center located on campus? Is there any more parking there than there was for the Erwin Center? 

They stopped having even just the high school basketball state championships at the Erwin Center because of a lack of parking and accommodation for the teams/fans. Unless this is drastically improved there's zero chance of NCAA tourney games there. The upper level was just built for non sports events. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Here's the Texas excerpt from The Athletic's Power Rankings this AM.

1. Texas (3-0)

Texas at No. 1? Yep. And why not? Have you seen any team play as well against quality opposition this season as Texas did versus Gonzaga Wednesday night? The Longhorns were incredible: connected, physical, tough, totally locked in.

In other words, they were a lot of the things Chris Beard’s first Texas team was not a year ago. Texas was never bad last season. Quite the opposite: The Longhorns finished 22-12, 15th in adjusted efficiency, got a N0. 6 seed, won a tournament game. All in all, not a bad year for a first-year head coach who rebuilt huge swathes of his starting lineup with guys from the transfer portal who had never played a minute together.

It was a fine start. But it was also characterized by a certainty that something was always a little off. Texas lost twice to his former team, Texas Tech, a more developed project with a more cohesive style. After Jan. 4, the Longhorns won more than two games in a row just once. The offense was effective enough but not particularly pretty; it was often discordant and ragged. Texas never found a groove. Things were always just a little awkward.

It was striking how much this wasn’t the case Wednesday night. Maybe it helped that the Longhorns were opening their fancy, more intimately arranged new arena, all the better to build communion with their fans. But the basketball did that more than anything else, and man was the basketball great. Throwing sophomore Iowa State transfer Tyrese Hunter into the backcourt is a revelation; suddenly, Marcus Carr’s offensive life looks so much easier. Timmy Allen is still a uniquely capable hybrid player, but the roles around him (five-star prospect Dillon Mitchell, revitalized vet Dylan Disu, Christian Bishop coming off the bench) make more sense. Defensively, Texas is swarming, terrifying, a nightmare for a Gonzaga team without currently confident guards.

Most of all, though, this suddenly feels like a team where everyone is more at ease. That goes for Beard, who is settled in the job (and the new Moody Center) now, and likewise for his players, who have had more time together to congeal, to build a stylistic and cultural foundation. Texas has added elite pieces around them this offseason, including what — judging by Wednesday’s 26-point, 5-of-8 from 3 output anyway — might be one of the best guards in the country in Hunter. The Longhorns looked more complete offensively, and looked like the best defensive team in the country.

Texas, at least for one night, looked like the best team in the country — full stop.

One of the worst things about current day media/social media is the need to constantly put out content. So much garbage, so annoying. 

The season is 3 games old. So no, nobody has played enough games to accurately rank anything. If yesterday was an indication we should be a 1 or 2 seed in March but we'll see what happens. 

18 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Where is the Moody Center located on campus? Is there any more parking there than there was for the Erwin Center? 

They stopped having even just the high school basketball state championships at the Erwin Center because of a lack of parking and accommodation for the teams/fans. Unless this is drastically improved there's zero chance of NCAA tourney games there. The upper level was just built for non sports events. 

Thanks...was not aware of this.

1 hour ago, 83Horn said:

Honest question, not trying to start an argument;  what about if Moody hosts NCAA tournament games?  Wouldn't it make sense to open it then, especially if Texas is playing elsewhere?

Sans the first four play-in at Dayton (small arena) I think there are minimum seating capacities that have to be met to hold Tournament games. I'm guessing the Moody Center would have to meet them, at something more than the capacity for last night's game. 11Kish. 

17 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's across the street from the SE entrance to DKR. Parking is not great, but manageable. I know I read somewhere that Texas will bid for NCAA games in the future and that the upper level will be open to reach the minimum seat requirement to host.  

I'm a season ticket holder and I hope they never open it up for Texas games. The roar was tremendous when Hunter went on his hot streak.  If he would have buried that long NBA three, I don't know if the roof would have held up.  Just an awesome atmosphere.  I know Beard will get a lot of deserved credit for the resurgence of Texas basketball, but I think the Moody center takes that potential to another level.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Delta Charlie said:

It's across the street from the SE entrance to DKR. Parking is not great, but manageable. I know I read somewhere that Texas will bid for NCAA games in the future and that the upper level will be open to reach the minimum seat requirement to host.  

I'm a season ticket holder and I hope they never open it up for Texas games. The roar was tremendous when Hunter went on his hot streak.  If he would have buried that long NBA three, I don't know if the roof would have held up.  Just an awesome atmosphere.  I know Beard will get a lot of deserved credit for the resurgence of Texas basketball, but I think the Moody center takes that potential to another level.

9 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Thanks...was not aware of this.

One thing I forgot to mention is one of the main reasons for the conflict with the state tournament and finding accommodations is SXSW. Having the NCAA tourney at the same time and proximity as SXSW probably keeps the NCAA away unless some palms are greased properly Qatar-style. 

54 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

One of the worst things about current day media/social media is the need to constantly put out content. So much garbage, so annoying. 

The season is 3 games old. So no, nobody has played enough games to accurately rank anything. If yesterday was an indication we should be a 1 or 2 seed in March but we'll see what happens. 

Yeah we have seen this kind of November magic before under Rick Barnes. But it's the conference season that will tell us how good we really are.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Weren't they letting students stand up there last night? Or did I remember that wrong

That was a special SRO section, I do believe. 

2 hours ago, 83Horn said:

I don’t see Moody hosting NCAA games because even with the upper deck, it’s too small. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

InfamousTallHypsilophodon-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 1

I think I read that the minimum requirements to host early NCAA games is 12K minimum, much larger for the final four. With the upper area closed we're probably out of the running, with 15K we could qualify but looking at this years sites, only Dayton is under 15K 

UD Arena - 13.4K (First four)
Legacy Arena - 18K
Wells Fargo - 16.1K
Amway Center - 20K
Golden 1 Center 17.6K
MVP Arena - 17.5K
Nationwide Arena - 19.5K
Ball Arena - 20K
Greensboro Coliseum - 22K

Still Jacksonville is in the rotation every few years with a seating capacity of 15K, so if the NCAA wants to hit up trendy Austin, we just squeeze by with the upper level capacity added to the mix. But  I agree that parking would be an issue. When I attended the game last week, it was easy to park over by the Disch and walk over in less than 10 minutes, but the garage situation I have heard is kind of a mess. They can probably streamline that over the coming years if they choose to. 

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Seriously... There were moments last night I thought I was watching the NBA.

Every one of our basketball teams in the past had some flaw to work around or some scheme that emphasized one thing (Penders' offense, Barnes' defense, Smart's ego) over another (Penders' defense, Barnes' offense, Smart's overall quality of play). And that's what I've seen from most of our opponents, too.

This team busted its ass for every one of the forty minutes of play. It scored with three pointers and by charging the paint. The defense was ferocious. Athleticism was fast, powerful, and unrelenting. I saw no flaws. I saw the Harlem Globetrotters having fun with the Washington Generals.

What the hell, man.

Who WAS that basketball team wearing burnt orange?

When we came-out in the second half like a shark sensing blood in the water, I knew things were different. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, 83Horn said:

I think it's 12,000 minimum capacity for the first and second rounds so the Moody Center would qualify.  

70K minimum for the FF. Think it's like 18K for the Sweet 16 and there have been domes that have hosted (but they cut the stadium in 1/2 for these vs. the FF which opens up the entire venue).

3 hours ago, Hermanator said:

did you SEE the game last night?

The game wasn't as close as the score made it look.

To me, the biggest difference is that we are scoring EARLY in the shot clock.  Even when we were up 20, the team was still trying to run in transition and score early.  It is so refreshing to not just go into clock burning mode but keep the offensive pressure up.  That attitude is out of the KU and UNC playbook.  If they can score 100 on you, they are going to do it. How many leads have we lost in years past because we went conservative?

• Hook 'Em 5

SAEN writeup - The Moody Center is the real winner as Texas crushes No. 2 Gonzaga in Austin

Spoiler

The Moody Center is the real winner as Texas crushes No. 2 Gonzaga in Austin
Chris O'Connell
Nov. 17, 2022

Forget that Longhorn hoops just took down the No. 2 team in the nation. Never mind that Texas coiled itself around Gonzaga like a boa constrictor on Wednesday night, November 16, and drained the breath out of the Bulldogs with a persistent squeeze. It sounds illogical in the way of sports stories, but merely posting the score — Texas beat Gonzaga 93-74 in Austin on Wednesday evening, and it wasn't even that close, by the way — is burying the lede.
The most important number in Austin last night was 11,313. The Moody Center — the $375 million behemoth arena that opened in April — just got its most important win in its short life, stuffed to the gills with screaming fans on a cold November night. 
True, the almighty Earth, Wind & Fire christened the stage during a private sneak preview, and yes, Texas royalty Willie Nelson and George Strait provided such anticipation for the official opening that the powers that be had to add a subsequent show. We all remember when Harry Styles transformed all of Austin into Harry's House for a week when he sold out six shows at the public-private venue. These are all wins, sure, but Austin showing out for live music is a lay-up.
This is not to say that Texas basketball (on the men's side, at least) was lighting the world on fire. Before last season, the team hadn't made it out of the first round of the NCAA Tournament since 2014. But attendance and the general ennui surrounding the team didn't match the potential the Longhorns have had over the last decade, including rostering multiple eventual NBA lottery picks like Jaxson Hayes, Mo Bamba, and Myles Turner.
At the risk of dragging the already defeated Frank Erwin Center through the mud, the blame can be placed squarely at the feet of the structure that had housed the team since the 1977-78 season. Namely, it was a dump. A mass of concrete and hard plastic, the Erwin Center actively repelled fans, and even when it didn't, it was still much too large to provide any advantage in the way of a raucous home crowd. 
Last season, new coach Chris Beard made a concerted effort to enhance the game day atmosphere, in part by empowering the team's DJ to connect directly with the players instead of what has been pejoratively referred to as "the wine and cheese crowd" at Texas basketball games. Atmosphere can be overblown, sure, but Cameron Indoor Arena is worth a couple points every night for Duke. Texas was forming its first-ever home court advantage.
Last night, there was a return on investment. The Moody Center was not only packed with burnt orange and white, but it was engaged the entire game, screaming, singing, in ecstasy. Cynics will chalk the revitalization up to the play of Texas: smothering defense that caused 20 Bulldogs turnovers, guard Tyrese Hunter's career-high 26 points, and ball movement that would make Gregg Popovich blush.
But at the risk of sounding like I own crystals, it's all symbiotic. Does Texas win this game at the Erwin Center? The way they played last night, no doubt. But the empty nosebleeds would have stung, another reminder that Texas wasn't yet ready for primetime. 
"That was one of the best crowds in college basketball tonight," Beard said after Texas took Gonzaga down. 
The former Texas Tech coach gets some credit for that, but make no mistake, the pulling off of a world-class basketball arena in Austin is, on the part of the university, led by Athletics Director Chris Del Conte, sheer wizardry. Whether or not this team will continue to slay dragons like Gonzaga is up to them, but now there's no excuse. The Longhorns' biggest weapon is insentient, an expensive mass of brick and steel, but after last night, she's the real winner.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

did you SEE the game last night?

The game wasn't as close as the score made it look.

Yes I watched it all. Well except the first few minutes when it was showing a football game. 

This is what? Not even a 10th of the way through the season?

Let's see how they handle road games. 

Let's see how they handle the ass kissing they're getting now. 

Let's see how they handle this conference both at home and on the road. 

They should be the real deal and anything less than top 2 with a shot to win the conference and a 2 seed will look disappointing after this performance. 

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Yes I watched it all. Well except the first few minutes when it was showing a football game. 

They should be the real deal and anything less than top 2 with a shot to win the conference and a 2 seed will look disappointing after this performance. 

Star Trek GIF

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2022 at 7:23 PM, LTtxfan said:

Gerry:  FYI, End of signing period tomorrow Nov 16th.  Said some college basketball recruits may elect to sign tomorrow, and wait to announce at a later date.

Here's player Gerry was hinting at signing on 16th, but delaying announcement till later

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/16/2022 at 9:26 PM, Brian Fantana said:

Athletically y'all look a lot like we did last year, better even, at some positions. Long, quick, well conditioned, and most important of all: experienced for the most part. Obviously ya'll won't shoot this well every game, but that was one question coming into this season that you should feel better about.

Looks like last year's experience in the system really did the returning guys a lot of favors going into this season. Said it in the game thread, but I'll be VERY happy if we split the series with y'all this season. The potential for your team is really high, in my opinion. Gonna be a fun season to watch.

It's early, but it seems the script has been flipped for this season.

A year ago, Texas could've played Tech two more times (in the Big 12 tourney and then in the NCAAs) and still come up empty. Why? Because, though the two teams were similarly built, Tech was longer, more athletic and more skilled. In short, the Raiders could do anything Texas could do, only better.

The Longhorns' only hope was to keep it close and look for a decisive play at the end, which almost happened in Austin but was unlikely anywhere else.

This year, however, it seems Tech will need to catch the Horns on an off night to have a chance. But who knows?

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

It's early, but it seems the script has been flipped for this season.

A year ago, Texas could've played Tech two more times (in the Big 12 tourney and then in the NCAAs) and still come up empty. Why? Because, though the two teams were similarly built, Tech was longer, more athletic and more skilled. In short, the Raiders could do anything Texas could do, only better.

The Longhorns' only hope was to keep it close and look for a decisive play at the end, which almost happened in Austin but was unlikely anywhere else.

This year, however, it seems Tech will need to catch the Horns on an off night to have a chance. But who knows?

Probably accurate. We were very similar teams with similar issues for sure.

The rest depends on how we develop and if our #1 transfer actually plays any meaningful minutes this year. We struggled in a few of our early games last season. Couldn't defend worth a shit in the first 4-5 games. Things changed pretty quickly once the guys settled in, though we are much leaner on the experience front this year. It'll be fun either way.

• Hook 'Em 1

It will be funny watching those yokels try to figure out the self check out lines for Bud Light when they visit town. They’ll never admit it, but reality will sink in on their way back to cow town - Tech could’ve squeezed every last drop of support they are capable of producing into retaining Beard, and it would still be pennies on the dollar compared to what the Texas administration is capable of. 

On 11/17/2022 at 4:27 PM, Hermanator said:

So on the one hand this means nothing because it’s very early and this is only one game. However, based on this one game, it will be ‘disappointing’ if we’re not a top 8 team at a minimum? Which one is it?

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 2:37 PM, HookEm said:

To me, the biggest difference is that we are scoring EARLY in the shot clock.  Even when we were up 20, the team was still trying to run in transition and score early.  It is so refreshing to not just go into clock burning mode but keep the offensive pressure up.  That attitude is out of the KU and UNC playbook.  If they can score 100 on you, they are going to do it. How many leads have we lost in years past because we went conservative?

It’s a good point, but I’m also reminded of the last several seasons when someone would shoot early in the shot clock and miss. It would be a wasted possession.

I didn’t catch the game, but I’d be curious to know (and I expect I’d see) good ball movement and off the ball movement early in the shot clock, which was sorely lacking previously. 

Texas outdrew Tech in basketball like 17 out of the last 20 years.  Tech started slightly outdrawing us due to Beard.  Do they not think he will make a difference in our attendance?

11k is plenty for college basketball.  Smaller and more intimate is better.  The FEC was cavernous.

The Sand Fleas have a bigger inferiority complex and engage in more groupthink than Aggies do.  And that's saying something.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

Big fan of this idea. 

The thing I don't get about that game after having gone to the one in person last year is why they're doing it over Thanksgiving break when there'll hardly be any students around to attend?  I went last year, was the oldest guy there, and it was loud and fun as all hell.  There'll be some students around but not enough to fill the place up and make serious noise. 

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

Texas outdrew Tech in basketball like 17 out of the last 20 years.  Tech started slightly outdrawing us due to Beard.  Do they not think he will make a difference in our attendance?

11k is plenty for college basketball.  Smaller and more intimate is better.  The FEC was cavernous.

The Sand Fleas have a bigger inferiority complex and engage in more groupthink than Aggies do.  And that's saying something.

dude, we sold out our season opener in Beard's second year here. literally an historic achievement when it comes to fan attendance for UT basketball. a reminder that KD played in front of 4,000 fans in the FEC during his one year at Texas. Beard has already made it to where the demand for UT basketball tickets exceeds the supply. and thats year two, game one. straight up historical.

then the other night against gonzaga we've got multiple national reporters (not to mention friends of mine who attended) who've been coming to games in austin for decades who all said that they've never experienced an atmosphere here like what we had for Gonzaga. 

Chris Beard is already the pied piper of Austin, Texas. you want to talk about promoting your team and generating a following? he's got Matthew McCaunaghey recording music videos for him. and, like him or not, Chris Beard has one of the most popular sports host/personalities in the country (Pat McCafee) as an honorary coach, just pimping the team all over espn/twitter/youtube/etc. we're everywhere.

it is fucking hilarious that there are still people in lubbock who are so self deluded that they live in this imaginary world where chris beard will never have it better then he had it at Tech, where Texas will never achieve more than Tech did, and where Texas fans will never support him the way the lubbock faithful did, as if 2 of those 3 aren't already done and dusted. 

i learned a new latin phrase today, one that used to be etched on the tombstones of dead romans, and i think it succinctly describes how chris beard ultimately feels about his time at TTU:

non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

it means, "I was not; I was; I am not; I do not care".

🤘🏼 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rudiger said:

It’s a good point, but I’m also reminded of the last several seasons when someone would shoot early in the shot clock and miss. It would be a wasted possession.

I didn’t catch the game, but I’d be curious to know (and I expect I’d see) good ball movement and off the ball movement early in the shot clock, which was sorely lacking previously. 

Maybe watch the game

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1