Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

47 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i already did. the rest of the t shirt fans and i threw him a welcoming party last night. and it was in pflugerville, so he was blown away at the talent on hand. he personally thanked me for it. he said, "derka, you are my best friend in the entire world, and i mean that. thank you for welcoming me to the Longhorn Basketball Family. I promise i'll work on getting that pappadeaux opened inside the Moody Center. it's the least i can do. i love you." all in all it was a pretty fun night.

I give you credit. You certainly have a vivid imagination.  BTW. how was the imaginary food? 

50 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i already did. the rest of the t shirt fans and i threw him a welcoming party last night. and it was in pflugerville, so he was blown away at the talent on hand. he personally thanked me for it. he said, "derka, you are my best friend in the entire world, and i mean that. thank you for welcoming me to the Longhorn Basketball Family. I promise i'll work on getting that pappadeaux opened inside the Moody Center. it's the least i can do. i love you." all in all it was a pretty fun night.

I bet this went down at Baris Pasta & Pizza, huh? Did he like the pink sauce?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, realgreggym said:

You can welcome him as a t shirt fan, maybe he will hear you.

Let us not assassinate this lad further, aggy. You have done enough. Have you no sense of decency?

Seriously, fuck off with your self-righteous bullshit. You're not special here. You don't have a monopoly on "true" Texas Longhorn basketball fandom. Based on the past few weeks, you're a bad fan that talks shit to others with the only justification being that your liver is more shriveled. As an elder, you are a sanctimonious ass with nothing of substance to add to a discussion other than tired cliches and milquetoast platitudes. Again, just because you personally witnessed Slater Martin take the court means fuck all. I've personally witnessed Derka be a more passionate, more devoted, more protective, and more insightful fan of this program over the last 20+ years than any triple diploma cunt could ever be. He was born to this family and you can fuck right off with your unjustified condescension. And this is coming from someone that went to war with him on multiple occasions. That motherfucker EARNED my respect, something you would do well to learn in your old age.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

You get something going at Pappadeaux, I best be getting an invite. Been a long time since I had a crawfish trio ...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Let us not assassinate this lad further, aggy. You have done enough. Have you no sense of decency?

Seriously, fuck off with your self-righteous bullshit. You're not special here. You don't have a monopoly on "true" Texas Longhorn basketball fandom. Based on the past few weeks, you're a bad fan that talks shit to others with the only justification being that your liver is more shriveled. As an elder, you are a sanctimonious ass with nothing of substance to add to a discussion other than tired cliches and milquetoast platitudes. Again, just because you personally witnessed Slater Martin take the court means fuck all. I've personally witnessed Derka be a more passionate, more devoted, more protective, and more insightful fan of this program over the last 20+ years than any triple diploma cunt could ever be. He was born to this family and you can fuck right off with your unjustified condescension. And this is coming from someone that went to war with him on multiple occasions. That motherfucker EARNED my respect, something you would do well to learn in your old age.

I hate to disappoint you, but I am not nearly as old as you think, and my liver is probably in much better shape than yours. There is nothing wrong with being passionate but if you have been on this board and long as you say, then you know that little gooey considers his opinion as fact and attacks anyone with a different point of view. That's when I go after him. And for the record, there are posters here that like discussing past history even if it means nothing to you. And if he earned your respect, good for you.

4 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Just don't get killed. Then I would have to post your obituary and that will probably upset the little SL guy.

I don’t get upset by any of the nods to the past. I like all of them. My point is that’s the only value you bring. While shadow_operative manages to drive basketball discussion on a consistent basis. And yet you enjoy taking your little swipes at him as if you actually add anything new to the conversation that’s relevant after 1980. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I don’t get upset by any of the nods to the past. I like all of them. My point is that’s the only value you bring. While shadow_operative manages to drive basketball discussion on a consistent basis. And yet you enjoy taking your little swipes at him as if you actually add anything new to the conversation that’s relevant after 1980. 

I take swipes at little gooey when he deserves it. And this may be hard for you to comprehend but some posters like talking about the past.

22 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I take swipes at little gooey when he deserves it. And this may be hard for you to comprehend but some posters like talking about the past.

That's hilarious. First of all, I already lauded you for doing so. Second of all, there aren't many posters on this site that have talked more extensively about the past than I do. 

But that's really all you do.

The rest of it is chiding people for having an opinion. The best way to describe it from my view is you seem to have this "player's view" that we shouldn't be critical of players or coaches, because we don't understand their perspective or what is going into process for making the decisions they do. We shouldn't get too excited about players too soon, and we shouldn't be too harsh on players who seemingly aren't performing well. 

You never offer up your opinions on anyone on the team, good or bad, nor the coaches. You constantly chide those that do.

I remember on Hornfans when I thought you had a sense of humor. I remember the whole Wofford schtick and how much I enjoyed that. It went on for years. I've been reading your posts on past teams, coaches, and players for at least two decades now, and I've enjoyed every single one of them. 

Now you rely exclusively on condescension, and this self delusion that your posts and your perspective are somehow more worthy than anyone else's because you actually played for Texas at some point in time. I am not here to change any of that. I wouldn't if I could. Be you. Personally I love confrontation and any sort of antagonism, on the board or in real life. Drama is an instinctual need in our species, and I have no problems leaning into that. 

But I value activity and Texas men's basketball discussion on this message board more than anything else. The only poster seemingly better than shadow_operative at driving that kind of discussion appears to be bitterwhiteguy, who doesn't even post on here. I don't understand what you get out of participating on this board. Mind you, I don't have to, and it's certainly not some kind of personal goal of mine. But reading your responses you seem even more like a bitter white guy than bitterwhiteguy, which is saying something. Take all the swipes you want. At me or anyone else. I don't care. I just wish you added some kind of value to this message board other than your obituary posts. I keep thinking you have it in you, but no. You don't. 

• Hook 'Em 5

16 hours ago, Helobious said:

Wonder if Holland will play his senior year in HS with Duncanville banned from the playoffs.

This is off topic, but I don't remember a school ever being banned from the playoffs before. I'm not even sure the late 80s Carter football teams got banned from the playoffs. And this ruling seems especially egregious when you consider that the player who's residency was in question was playing for his stepfather. Like how on earth are you not allowed to claim residency in the same house that your mother lives in? I'm sure there's more to the story but considering all the football teams in this state that clearly "recruit", Duncanville getting this severe a punishment seems fucking ridiculous. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, realgreggym said:

I hate to disappoint you, but I am not nearly as old as you think, and my liver is probably in much better shape than yours. There is nothing wrong with being passionate but if you have been on this board and long as you say, then you know that little gooey considers his opinion as fact and attacks anyone with a different point of view. That's when I go after him. And for the record, there are posters here that like discussing past history even if it means nothing to you. And if he earned your respect, good for you.

You just can't help yourself, can you? You offer nothing unique or special. That you don't even grasp the use of Slater Martin in my post as both a knowing and appreciative nod to the past, AND an exaggerated way to poke at you, is hilarious. I was clowning you, clown.

And no, despite your uncontrollable need to try and elevate yourself above the rest of us, you don't know jack shit about my liver. Or my age. If it helps, I was in the in HOT Coliseum when Mike Wacker's knee exploded and the best team of the Lemons era was gone in an instant. But I won't tell you how old I was when an entire crowd of out-of-control Baylor bastards went silent as a result. I'll just let that be another of the million things you don't know. Just know I've been around long enough that I've seen your song and dance enough times to call out the steps beforehand.

You're a bitch. Your new use of "l'il gooey" is just another example of you resorting to 1st grade bullshit when called out for your thin-skinned posting. Moreover, not a single one of your posts on this board has stated a single thought or opinion that is incapable of comprehension. Every single poster on this board is constantly talking about the history of this program. That no one wants to interact with you about it is not an indictment on the subject. It's just you.

I really don't care what age you are, you act like an old, bitter nobody that believes you are better than the rest of us with absolutely zero justification for such a position. Cursing the world because your singular lack of genius was never appreciated. I've known teenagers with that attitude so it's not dependent on trips around the sun. It just depends on you being a putz.

Is this the discourse you were looking for @SL Xpress? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!!  Is it Monday yet?

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I hadn’t heard about Duncanville’s ban, and you’re probably right if that’s what they used to justify it.  Having said that, Duncanville’s recruiting has been ridiculous the last few years.  It’s not even just DFW area guys.   Zhuric Phelps, who was mvp of the state tournament a couple of years ago and is now at SMU, came from Midland/Odessa.  

Oh, I agree. There's no doubt that they recruit like no one else in my 30+ years of paying attention to Texas high school basketball. However Anthony Black's mother is married to Peavy so using him as the reason to finally punish Duncanville for their recruiting seems weird. I mean Anfernee Hardaway's kid goes to Duncanville,  yet the kid who's mother is married to the coach is the one you use as proof of recruiting. 

19 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Is that Wacker injury the biggest what if in Texas basketball history?  Wife (gf at the time) and I didn’t there until after the injury had happened.  Gotta love the old HOT Coliseum with the tartan court on a rodeo floor. 

that's no.1, PJ, Boobie, and LA all opting to return for the 06-07 season is no.2, and Texas beating LSU in 06 is no.3. off the top of my head anyway. 

19 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Is that Wacker injury the biggest what if in Texas basketball history? 

Probably.  I'd also nominate Chris Mihm's bad game in the tournament while sick with the flu, and what the team would have been like had TJ Ford come back for another year instead of jumping to the NBA because of his neck injury.  That said, Wacker's injury completely hamstrung a top 5 team.

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

that's no.1, PJ, Boobie, and LA all opting to return for the 06-07 season is no.2, and Texas beating LSU in 06 is no.3. off the top of my head anyway. 

Do we win the NC in 1990 (or how do we do in the Final Four) if a million different things go slightly different in that three point loss to Arkansas. Maybe another foul or two on Oliver Miller that should have been called.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

I know you've referenced it in the past, but whatever happened with J'Covan to destroy team chemistry on the 2010-2011 team is my biggest what if. I mention the mid season run that team went on at least once every season, but there's never been a run of Longhorn basketball more impressive than what Barnes did with that team during the run below. Over the course of 18 games we won 17, 15 of them by double digits. We started off conference play 11-0 including an 11 point win over KU at Phog Allen in a game where we went on a 30 something to single digit run on KU where we absolutely took their hearts from them. On February 16th, of 2011 I was certain that this team was not only a Final 4 team, but a favorite to in the National Championship.

And by the way that sole, 1 point, overtime loss to Connecticut during the run below was to the eventual national champions that season. 

image.png.d0e82aa71f73478f365f4914621f8faa.png

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Do we win the NC in 1990 (or how do we do in the Final Four) if a million different things go slightly different in that three point loss to Arkansas. Maybe another foul or two on Oliver Miller that should have been called.

Fun MM run to watch. 

11 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I know you've referenced it in the past, but whatever happened with J'Covan to destroy team chemistry on the 2010-2011 team is my biggest what if. I mention the mid season run that team went on at least once every season, but there's never been a run of Longhorn basketball more impressive than what Barnes did with that team during the run below. Over the course of 18 games we won 17, 15 of them by double digits. We started off conference play 11-0 including an 11 point win over KU at Phog Allen in a game where we went on a 30 something to single digit run on KU where we absolutely took their hearts from them. On February 16th, of 2011 I was certain that this team was not only a Final 4 team, but a favorite to in the National Championship.

And by the way that sole, 1 point, overtime loss to Connecticut during the run below was to the eventual national champions that season. 

image.png.d0e82aa71f73478f365f4914621f8faa.png

Was that the UCONN game where one of their guards hurled up that 3/4 quarter court shot even though there was like 90 seconds left fo play>?  

Barnes hit a stretch there where he managed to crush multiple deep tournament runs with his ridiculous iron hand.

I mean, when the greatest coach in UT history -- the fucking SWIMMING coach -- takes you aside and teaches you what is effectively "taper", and you follow his advice for about a week, well, you get what we got.  

Yes, I know, I just cued up a gigantic Barnes tangent.

• Hook 'Em 1

Am I correct in thinking that if a college hoops player plays in any game, they cant redshirt that season? If so, what is the rationale for allowing football players to play in a limited number of games and still redshirt, but not allowing the same for hoops? 

4 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Am I correct in thinking that if a college hoops player plays in any game, they cant redshirt that season? If so, what is the rationale for allowing football players to play in a limited number of games and still redshirt, but not allowing the same for hoops? 

Correct. They discussed a rule change in the summer to where basketball players could play 6-8 games and still redshirt but it didn’t end up in the final rule changes for 22-23

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

Same reason the rules are different for jumping to the professional ranks in football/basketball/baseball -- no logic whatsoever.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Same reason the rules are different for jumping to the professional ranks in football/basketball/baseball -- no logic whatsoever.

To be fair, those rules are set by each professional league (in agreement with the players’ union), so there is no reason they would be consistent across different leagues. The redshirt rules are all set by the ncaa, so they probably should be.