Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

If your point is to not get ‘too excited’ about preseason, why the fuck are you posting here at all right now?

Because posters like you don't understand that it's practice. Why is it that posters on the football fall practice threads understand that simple concept but posters here don't.

Fireside chat with President Jay Hartzell. The students in the back needed a William Wallace of excitement to lead the charge back there. Feed them a bowl of pituitary glands before it kicks off or something. 

Pretty neat his Dad was the sports editor of the Tulsa Tribune when he was growing up. 

Googled it and found this article written by Berry Trammel on the UT web site. Turns out Jay Hartzell's dad died of a heart attack at the age of 43 when his son was 11 years old. 

https://news.utexas.edu/2022/10/08/tramel-university-of-texas-president-jay-hartzell-is-the-son-of-an-oklahoma-sportswriter/

Anyway, he always comes across as incredibly approachable. I like these fireside chats Beard does, and this one is no exception. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Because posters like you don't understand that it's practice. Why is it that posters on the football fall practice threads understand that simple concept but posters here don't.

What the hell man? I said it was just practice.

Practicing kicking ass though.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

What the hell man? I said it was just practice.

Practicing kicking ass though.

Guys this isn’t that hard. @realgreggym is partially correct in that the 9.95 sites overhype our players during the pre-season in both football and basketball. Where he’s wrong is that he takes it too far. If every paid site and every neutral observer is saying that an amazing transfer looks extra special, that’s probably pretty good intel. 

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

On Alex Anamekwe

“Alex Anamekwe is someone that can be playing in the NBA in four years. There is a good chance he is playing at the highest level just because he plays the right way. From an NBA perspective, it’s hard to kind of tell what he is going to be, or not be. Just because he’s kind of starting from ground zero. But again, the motor, the length, the NBA jump shot against Arkansas, and the physical tenacity – in three or four years we will probably be looking back and saying man this guy came as far as anyone in college basketball.”

Don't read this, @realgreggym.

1 hour ago, Irieguy said:

Guys this isn’t that hard. @realgreggym is partially correct in that the 9.95 sites overhype our players during the pre-season in both football and basketball. Where he’s wrong is that he takes it too far. If every paid site and every neutral observer is saying that an amazing transfer looks extra special, that’s probably pretty good intel. 

It's all fun and games until the Big 12 Conference season begins. Everything before that should be taken with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Texas Longhorns hoops: NBA Scout perspective

Gerry Hamilton•about 4 hours

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

Dillon Mitchell / Player submitted photo

The Texas Longhorns dished out a woodshed beating to old rival Arkansas on Saturday in front of a few thousand fans, and a number of NBA scouts.

Inside Texas had the opportunity to catch up with an NBA scout for an Eastern Conference team over the weekend to get his thoughts having scouted Texas players for a while. That includes in person at the exhibition game Saturday.

Thoughts on this year’s Texas team

“I would say Texas as a whole is going to be a team that competes their ass off. The shooting component is going to be big. Seeing Arterio Morris make jump shots against Arkansas was good for Texas to see. The shot making and front court have to come through, but besides that you have maturity in the backcourt, a high flying guy like Dillon Mitchell and an experienced all-around guy like Timmy Allen. Texas also has some high upside guys like Tyrese Hunter, Arterio Morris and Alex Anamekwe. Based upon matchups, they can be a Final Four team or better. I think that’s why you saw them do what they did against Arkansas. It’s all going to come down to the shot making component and the rebounding component. Besides that you have a guy in Chris Beard, who is probably a top five all-around coach in college basketball. Texas will not be out prepared, and I think the pieces actually really mesh well together.”

On Timmy Allen

“A guy that has a quirky game. It’s like, what does he do well? But he just goes out there and plays the game and has 16, 5, 5 and two. He kind of has the ability to score in mid-range, and is just tough minded with experience. There will be questions on the NBA side about the perimeter shot making and athleticism, but he has some intangibles that I think he has overcame. I don’t know if he’s a draft pick, but he can be someone that gets into the summer league and becomes a fan favorite, and even a front office favorite.”

On Alex Anamekwe

“Alex Anamekwe is someone that can be playing in the NBA in four years. There is a good chance he is playing at the highest level just because he plays the right way. From an NBA perspective, it’s hard to kind of tell what he is going to be, or not be. Just because he’s kind of starting from ground zero. But again, the motor, the length, the NBA jump shot against Arkansas, and the physical tenacity – in three or four years we will probably be looking back and saying man this guy came as far as anyone in college basketball.”

On Christian Bishop

“Christian Bishop is someone that started off at Creighton as a wing hybrid four/three, and is now a straight four. It’s a credit to him, and what Texas did with him. He put on some good weight, and because of it he scores through contact better. He’s gotten better with his off hand. For the pro aspirations – can he make an NBA jump shot, can he be a threat from 23-feet, can he guard the high ball screen with size and drop coverage, can he guard four’s on the perimeter. That’s the question marks there.”

On Dylan Disu

“Dylan Disu is someone that put up numbers at Vanderbilt. At Texas now, he’s finally healthy. So let’s see what does all year long. Similar to Christian Bishop, can he make open shots, can he be a threat on the perimeter, can he guard on the perimeter, can he be a shot blocker, can he score in traffic and can he score through contact. I thought watching the Arkansas game, it was a step in the correct direction as far as a the rebounding, the toughness, the finishing and the toughness. The next step is probably the catch and shoot game on the perimeter. Tangibly, the body and everything is right there. it’s what you look for. I think footwork and balance will be big for him. The talent is actually intriguing.”

On Marcus Carr

“Marcus Carr is a guy that put up gaudy numbers at Minnesota. Came to Texas last year and was kind of thrown into just a point guard spot only. His role in the NBA could be something you would see similar to Texas this season. A secondary facilitator and distributor in a pinch. He can do it. But also a shot maker. Think he has improved in terms of paint touches. Guarding the basketball has always been a question mark. Can he guard the basketball? I think he’s improving on that. Now it’s about how well he can play off the ball, and when on the ball decision making – in terms of passing, playmaking, facilitating, scoring and getting a paint touch. The thing with him is he’s kind of small for the guard spot and is just an okay athlete. The intangibles are there though. He’s someone that gets in the summer league and maybe works his way up from there.”

On Arterio Morris

“Arterio Morris is someone that is probably one of the most talented players in college basketball. Now it gets down to learning the game I would say. He had a great game against Arkansas with 19 points, but he also took a couple of difficult shots. So there are going to be some games that I can foresee that things don’t go his way. Then it becomes how does he bounce back from adversity? He’s probably already surpassed my expectations entering the year, in the fact that he bought into the foundation and structure at Texas under Beard is pretty impressive. Now it’s about being disciplined, and being someone that can make jump shots consistently, and being able to handle the ball against quality ball pressure is going to be big for him. I don’t see a lead guard in him whatsoever. I see a second side initiator. His first offense is to score, and he has to buy into that and be that guy. And secondly, can he put the ball on the floor, create early offense, thrive in secondary sets, how good of a finisher at the basket will he be, and can he guard? He’s someone that can guard the one and two because he’s tough minded, he’s physical and he’s someone who is already pretty strong from an organic standpoint. This one is going to be about giving it some time, and seeing how he does over the long haul. It’s a great start against Arkansas. But now it’s about can he impact the game without scoring for three, four or five months.”

On Sir’Jabari Rice

“Jabari Rice is probably the guy that Texas fans may not be accustomed to, but he’s well needed. He’s kind of the straw that stirs the drink a little bit. He probably has the best shot fake in college basketball. And I think the shooting and shot making has really improved since watching his tape at New Mexico State. His body has improved. Is he an NBA player? I’m not entirely sure. He will have to work his butt off to get to that level, but he’s going to help lead a winning season this year and that will make us want to really look at him. He’s long, rangy, he can guard and wants to guard the one through three, he can play on the ball a little bit, is unselfish, can make a jump shot and play in space. You add it all up, and it’s a maybe. It’s how will he look game one through thirty. How will his consistency be. I think the leadership skills are off the charts. But again, it’s about the long run with him at Texas. What will he look like against UTEP vs. the last game in conference play?”

On Tyrese Hunter

“Tyrese Hunter I think is probably one of the top five leaders in college basketball, and that is going to help him at our level. As far as evaluating him, you worry about the size and the shot making, but it seems like he’s already taking the correct steps with the jump shot. He doesn’t necessarily need to be a 35 to 40% shooter from three, but he’s already becoming that it seems. That’s why I’m not sure if it’s this year, or next year for him. It may be better for him if he stays one more year. It’s still early to tell there. But the toughness, on ball defense is at an NBA level already. There is always going to be the size question that hurts him, but I would say the speed, and playmaking is there. He can still improve making plays for others, but just doing the work on the backend and watching him – the character traits and toughness are impressive. Doing the background work we do as NBA people, the toughness, blue collar, work ethic and intangibles are probably whats going to get him to our level and stick to begin with. You have guys like Monte Morris, Jose Alvarado and Kennedy Chandler that have done that. Tyrese Hunter might have as good, if not better intangibles from the leadership traits and the will to win. You saw a program like Iowa State last year do it, and at a program like Texas it’s certainly attainable. You saw him lead a program that hadn’t been to a Sweet 16 in a while last year, and now he’s at Texas. We will see how far they go, but he can be a direct correlation.”

On Dillon Mitchell

“Dillon Mitchell is someone that offensively is so very, very raw. So from our perspective, how does he impact the game in the half court offense tomorrow? That’s kind of unfair because he’s behind the eight ball there, but just seeing his progression from Montverde to the AAU circuit and now with Texas – we just want to see him become a scoring threat with his jump shot, and score the basketball. Score the basketball and dribble the basketball. He’s kind of scary as a hybrid four/three, so now it’s about enhancing his ability to dribble and pass the basketball. As far as putting the ball on the floor with his off hand, making the open 15 foot jump shot because defensively the guy is a wizard. You are talking about a guy that can guard the two through five already, he’s already put on around 15 pounds of muscle it seems, he has quick twitch jumping ability, he’s a rebounder, can play out of his area, and he’s an underrated cutter. Add all that up and he can definitely be a lottery pick this year, if not better – but that is going to be in the eye of the beholder. Someone that appreciates his feel for the game. His intangibles are off the charts it seems, he’s a high level kid, high level work ethic; so now it becomes about the jump shot. His ceiling for our level is the jump shot. He already has great potential with his feel, defense, character traits, IQ, athleticism and being coachable. But if he wants to be a top 40-50 player in the league its about putting the ball on the floor more, shooting it better and scoring it more. It may not happen until he get to our level, and works on it daily on our level. But as far as the athleticism piece, the intangibles piece – it’s very intriguing.”

The Longhorns open the regular season November 7 against UTEP in the Moody Center.

i saw this scout at the game, he was there working for the Pacers, fwiw.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Texas Longhorns hoops: NBA Scout perspective

Gerry Hamilton•about 4 hours

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

Dillon Mitchell / Player submitted photo

The Texas Longhorns dished out a woodshed beating to old rival Arkansas on Saturday in front of a few thousand fans, and a number of NBA scouts.

Inside Texas had the opportunity to catch up with an NBA scout for an Eastern Conference team over the weekend to get his thoughts having scouted Texas players for a while. That includes in person at the exhibition game Saturday.

Thoughts on this year’s Texas team

“I would say Texas as a whole is going to be a team that competes their ass off. The shooting component is going to be big. Seeing Arterio Morris make jump shots against Arkansas was good for Texas to see. The shot making and front court have to come through, but besides that you have maturity in the backcourt, a high flying guy like Dillon Mitchell and an experienced all-around guy like Timmy Allen. Texas also has some high upside guys like Tyrese Hunter, Arterio Morris and Alex Anamekwe. Based upon matchups, they can be a Final Four team or better. I think that’s why you saw them do what they did against Arkansas. It’s all going to come down to the shot making component and the rebounding component. Besides that you have a guy in Chris Beard, who is probably a top five all-around coach in college basketball. Texas will not be out prepared, and I think the pieces actually really mesh well together.”

On Timmy Allen

“A guy that has a quirky game. It’s like, what does he do well? But he just goes out there and plays the game and has 16, 5, 5 and two. He kind of has the ability to score in mid-range, and is just tough minded with experience. There will be questions on the NBA side about the perimeter shot making and athleticism, but he has some intangibles that I think he has overcame. I don’t know if he’s a draft pick, but he can be someone that gets into the summer league and becomes a fan favorite, and even a front office favorite.”

On Alex Anamekwe

On Christian Bishop

“Christian Bishop is someone that started off at Creighton as a wing hybrid four/three, and is now a straight four. It’s a credit to him, and what Texas did with him. He put on some good weight, and because of it he scores through contact better. He’s gotten better with his off hand. For the pro aspirations – can he make an NBA jump shot, can he be a threat from 23-feet, can he guard the high ball screen with size and drop coverage, can he guard four’s on the perimeter. That’s the question marks there.”

On Dylan Disu

“Dylan Disu is someone that put up numbers at Vanderbilt. At Texas now, he’s finally healthy. So let’s see what does all year long. Similar to Christian Bishop, can he make open shots, can he be a threat on the perimeter, can he guard on the perimeter, can he be a shot blocker, can he score in traffic and can he score through contact. I thought watching the Arkansas game, it was a step in the correct direction as far as a the rebounding, the toughness, the finishing and the toughness. The next step is probably the catch and shoot game on the perimeter. Tangibly, the body and everything is right there. it’s what you look for. I think footwork and balance will be big for him. The talent is actually intriguing.”

On Marcus Carr

“Marcus Carr is a guy that put up gaudy numbers at Minnesota. Came to Texas last year and was kind of thrown into just a point guard spot only. His role in the NBA could be something you would see similar to Texas this season. A secondary facilitator and distributor in a pinch. He can do it. But also a shot maker. Think he has improved in terms of paint touches. Guarding the basketball has always been a question mark. Can he guard the basketball? I think he’s improving on that. Now it’s about how well he can play off the ball, and when on the ball decision making – in terms of passing, playmaking, facilitating, scoring and getting a paint touch. The thing with him is he’s kind of small for the guard spot and is just an okay athlete. The intangibles are there though. He’s someone that gets in the summer league and maybe works his way up from there.”

On Arterio Morris

“Arterio Morris is someone that is probably one of the most talented players in college basketball. Now it gets down to learning the game I would say. He had a great game against Arkansas with 19 points, but he also took a couple of difficult shots. So there are going to be some games that I can foresee that things don’t go his way. Then it becomes how does he bounce back from adversity? He’s probably already surpassed my expectations entering the year, in the fact that he bought into the foundation and structure at Texas under Beard is pretty impressive. Now it’s about being disciplined, and being someone that can make jump shots consistently, and being able to handle the ball against quality ball pressure is going to be big for him. I don’t see a lead guard in him whatsoever. I see a second side initiator. His first offense is to score, and he has to buy into that and be that guy. And secondly, can he put the ball on the floor, create early offense, thrive in secondary sets, how good of a finisher at the basket will he be, and can he guard? He’s someone that can guard the one and two because he’s tough minded, he’s physical and he’s someone who is already pretty strong from an organic standpoint. This one is going to be about giving it some time, and seeing how he does over the long haul. It’s a great start against Arkansas. But now it’s about can he impact the game without scoring for three, four or five months.”

On Sir’Jabari Rice

“Jabari Rice is probably the guy that Texas fans may not be accustomed to, but he’s well needed. He’s kind of the straw that stirs the drink a little bit. He probably has the best shot fake in college basketball. And I think the shooting and shot making has really improved since watching his tape at New Mexico State. His body has improved. Is he an NBA player? I’m not entirely sure. He will have to work his butt off to get to that level, but he’s going to help lead a winning season this year and that will make us want to really look at him. He’s long, rangy, he can guard and wants to guard the one through three, he can play on the ball a little bit, is unselfish, can make a jump shot and play in space. You add it all up, and it’s a maybe. It’s how will he look game one through thirty. How will his consistency be. I think the leadership skills are off the charts. But again, it’s about the long run with him at Texas. What will he look like against UTEP vs. the last game in conference play?”

On Tyrese Hunter

“Tyrese Hunter I think is probably one of the top five leaders in college basketball, and that is going to help him at our level. As far as evaluating him, you worry about the size and the shot making, but it seems like he’s already taking the correct steps with the jump shot. He doesn’t necessarily need to be a 35 to 40% shooter from three, but he’s already becoming that it seems. That’s why I’m not sure if it’s this year, or next year for him. It may be better for him if he stays one more year. It’s still early to tell there. But the toughness, on ball defense is at an NBA level already. There is always going to be the size question that hurts him, but I would say the speed, and playmaking is there. He can still improve making plays for others, but just doing the work on the backend and watching him – the character traits and toughness are impressive. Doing the background work we do as NBA people, the toughness, blue collar, work ethic and intangibles are probably whats going to get him to our level and stick to begin with. You have guys like Monte Morris, Jose Alvarado and Kennedy Chandler that have done that. Tyrese Hunter might have as good, if not better intangibles from the leadership traits and the will to win. You saw a program like Iowa State last year do it, and at a program like Texas it’s certainly attainable. You saw him lead a program that hadn’t been to a Sweet 16 in a while last year, and now he’s at Texas. We will see how far they go, but he can be a direct correlation.”

On Dillon Mitchell

“Dillon Mitchell is someone that offensively is so very, very raw. So from our perspective, how does he impact the game in the half court offense tomorrow? That’s kind of unfair because he’s behind the eight ball there, but just seeing his progression from Montverde to the AAU circuit and now with Texas – we just want to see him become a scoring threat with his jump shot, and score the basketball. Score the basketball and dribble the basketball. He’s kind of scary as a hybrid four/three, so now it’s about enhancing his ability to dribble and pass the basketball. As far as putting the ball on the floor with his off hand, making the open 15 foot jump shot because defensively the guy is a wizard. You are talking about a guy that can guard the two through five already, he’s already put on around 15 pounds of muscle it seems, he has quick twitch jumping ability, he’s a rebounder, can play out of his area, and he’s an underrated cutter. Add all that up and he can definitely be a lottery pick this year, if not better – but that is going to be in the eye of the beholder. Someone that appreciates his feel for the game. His intangibles are off the charts it seems, he’s a high level kid, high level work ethic; so now it becomes about the jump shot. His ceiling for our level is the jump shot. He already has great potential with his feel, defense, character traits, IQ, athleticism and being coachable. But if he wants to be a top 40-50 player in the league its about putting the ball on the floor more, shooting it better and scoring it more. It may not happen until he get to our level, and works on it daily on our level. But as far as the athleticism piece, the intangibles piece – it’s very intriguing.”

The Longhorns open the regular season November 7 against UTEP in the Moody Center.

Good stuff. I like how he kindly evaluated a few guys that he probably knows aren't playing in the NBA. I think you have to have that mentality as a scout, though, of "well shit I've seen worse prospects make it". 

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Good point brought up by Gerry here:

image.thumb.png.e2ac073f00de3cc8216510e46e948849.png

Rebounds are rebounds. Dude he's responding to is an idiot. 

1 minute ago, ATXbronco said:

Some Arkansas website had an article that looked like it was shitting on the past of one of our players.

I lost it before I could ... nevermind, found it.

Looks like a bitterwhiteguy thing

https://www.bestofarkansassports.com/texas-basketball-arterio-morris-past-casts-shadow-arkansas-win/

Do you live in a time zone that’s like on another planet and 3 days behind the rest of us?

Fat Fuck Ketch is stirring up drama re: Morris.  I'd love to respond to him on Twitter but, as a teacher, I'd hate for someone to think I'm insensitive to a domestic situation.

I mean, it's one thing to bring it up or report on it, but he's straight up making analogies between our fans' reactions to the issue and OU/aggy.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

Apparently Morris separated his shoulder running into a screen set by Christian Bishop on the first day of practice.

https://www.si.com/college/texas/mens-basketball/texas-longhorns-arterio-morris-freshman-legal-process-suspension-chris-beard

"So as he continues preparation for the season, Morris discussed how the offseason helped him realize that [he] is no longer [playing] high school basketball. His play against Arkansas clearly showed he's realized this by now, but getting his shoulder separated over the offseason after running into a screen from Longhorns forward Christian Bishop is the wake-up call Morris said he needed.

"I had a wake up call. First day of practice, Christian Bishop kinda dislocated my shoulder," Morris said. "So I'm used to kind of running into big-bodied screens right now so yeah, great wake-up call."

Morris admitted that defense wasn't something he took seriously in high school. A skilled one-on-one scorer with highlight-reel potential, a focus on putting the ball in the basket was priority No. 1 with the attention he received as a high school superstar and McDonald's All-American.

"Running right into the screen kinda like 'Hey, welcome to college,'" Morris said. "So I was out for like three weeks, but it was a great wake up call right there.""

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Fat Fuck Ketch is stirring up drama re: Morris.  I'd love to respond to him on Twitter but, as a teacher, I'd hate for someone to think I'm insensitive to a domestic situation.

I mean, it's one thing to bring it up or report on it, but he's straight up making analogies between our fans' reactions to the issue and OU/aggy.

It's easy to make hypothetical attacks. We all know OU and A&M have always had perfect choir boys on their teams and never have had a problematic player ever so I understand that he cannot produce an actual example of us screaming to the rafters about them. So he has to attack us based on something that could never happen and I find that unfair.

Oh wait *checks notes* they have had problematic players and we never have screamed to the rafters about them. Kind of weird to claim we would do something that we never have in many comparable situations. You might almost say...he is a liar.

Edited by Valmy77

Here's Arterio's media availability. I know he made some 'no comments' to questions about the arrest in terms of "my lawyer says I can't say anything about it" because of news reports following the media availability, but they don't show them here. It's a nice feature on him. Very complimentary towards what Texas is trying to achieve this year and in the program overall. 

I didn't know about his connection with Erven Davis, a DFW legend that Beard talked about in his media availability that passed away from Covid related illness last year. 

Team hoops and recruiting:

Chris Beard recently made his thoughts on the program and the 2022-23 season known to one of the program’s tighter circles. Much of what was said lines up with what Gerry and Tim have both posted, but there are a few more interesting tidbits as well. With regards to Beard specifically, his presence was that of a regular ol’ dude as opposed to a guy making $5 million per year. Everyone was worth his time at the event. It’s easy to see why he connects with players so well; he just generally connects with people. Well, most of them.

He’s honest about who he is with players, which as we saw last year doesn’t always sit properly with them. That’s a feature, not a bug. The players who are still in the program understand that and see that as a positive toward helping them flourish, on and off-the-court. The veteran players who returned understand this the most.

That honesty applies to everyone on the roster, from super-seniors like Timmy Allen to high-profile freshmen like Arterio Morris and Dillon Mitchell. In some cases, the reward of minutes, if not a starter’s role, is there for freshmen. See: Mitchell.

In other situations, the best case scenario could be seventh- or eighth-man minutes. And in the current world of one-and-done, the portal, and NIL, it can be a hard adjustment for a blue-chipper to come in and play a specific role when they aspire to shake Adam Silver’s hand and play in the association a year after they enroll.

This hasn’t festered into any sort of a problem at Texas, nothing close. But there are pressures on players and coaches alike to adjust to situations new for everyone. By admission, the program is in a good place on that front. Again, they make sure that the players are able to responsibly handle their NIL while also understanding what parts of their game need to strengthen with an emphasis on patience. The younger player’s time will come.

Speaking of NIL, there’s a sense of optimism about the direction Texas is going in that area. That said, the efforts have not reached their full ceiling quite yet. NIL potential is as important in men’s basketball recruiting as it is in football recruiting, and it’ll have an effect on who ends up in Texas’ 2023 class and classes going forward considering who Beard goes toe-to-toe with on the trail. Prep stars aren’t the only ones paying attention, transfers are too. Just like football.

Privately, Beard is fond of the players and team in general. He thinks a number of players have put in the necessary work to improve. Essentially, buy-in appears high.

It’s literally down to the wire for Beard and staff in the 2023 recruiting cycle. 

Inside Texas continues to feel good about the chances with On3 Consensus 5-star power forward Ronald Holland (Duncanville, Texas). Inside Texas also continues to believe the Longhorns lead for On3 Consensus 5-star point guard AJ Johnson (Woodland Hills, Calif./Southern California Academy). 

The Longhorns truly covet guard/wing Andrej Stojakovic (Carmichael, Calif./Jesuit). The 6-foot-7 playmaker continues to go back-and-forth between Stanford and Texas. UCLA is in the third position. IT feels like Andrej may prefer the total package Texas presents – basketball, university and city of Austin. We shall see which way this one goes. Stojakovic is expected to make a decision by Wednesday. 

Texas is a big fan of big man Cedric Lath (Henderson, NV/Liberty). The 6-foot-9, 260-pounder will choose between Houston and Texas with BYU trying to remain in the fight. The Longhorns know that Lath’s frame and skill set is a need in the program. Lath is 6-9 with a 7’2” wingspan, near 11-inch hands and powerful leaping ability. His upside is considered to be particularly high, by both Texas and Houston. 

The early signing period begins November 9, and runs through the 16th.

• Hook 'Em 6

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

jon eith stein has been releasing his "Rothstein 45", and with two days to go he still hasn't listed Texas or UNC. aside from kenpom that's the highest preseason ranking i've seen for us. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but I see us at #12

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php/rothstein-files/rothstein-45-22-23-preseason-edition-2/

10 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

They really did their homework. Marcus Carr is listed as a projected starter and a key loss. Tre Mitchell is also listed a key loss ... along with Avery Benson.

19 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Are they flying out to California to make their final pitch to Andrej Stojakovic? AJ Johnson is out there, too. He's had a major transition to make since his high school shut down suddenly. 

Oh, never mind. It's a retweet from Gerry. They're on their way to Duncanville to watch Ron Holland.

Texas HC Chris Beard & Associate HC Rodney Terry on way to Duncanville High to watch New #Longhorns commit and 2024 top target

Edited by SL Xpress