Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

Yeah, it's been a bit of a downturn but since any 18 yo recruit started playing hoops in their driveway at age 4...we've put 15+ guys into the NBA starting with Durant.  I think we're still comfortably in the Top 10 of programs with guys in the NBA last 10-15 years.   Our problem wasn't talent...it was depth, shooting, and coaching.  

As of next month...those problems are a rumor.  They never happened.

If y'all want recruiting updates in this thread let me know. I'll post whatever IT puts up regarding Texas basketball so I don't have to go to 2-3 different threads.

Five-star Ronald Holland on campus today

On3 Consensus 5-star power forward Ronald Holland and family will be on campus in Austin today. Inside Texas believes the Longhorns have been trending in recent weeks with UCLA emerging as the biggest threat. That doesn’t mean IT is placing Arkansas and Kentucky in the “out of contention” category, but there is a trend with this recruitment. Holland family want to take in a Chris Beard practice to get a feel for what that would look like if Holland picks the Longhorns. He did the same with UCLA. There is certainly more Texas buzz than UCLA, but the Texas staff still has to close.

The curious recruitment of Elmarko Jackson

On3 Consensus 4-star combo guard Elmarko Jackson is set to announce his decision October 13. There will be five hats on the table – Kansas, Texas, Notre Dame, Miami and Villanova. But everything Inside Texas is hearing down the stretch is centered around three programs. Kansas and Texas overtook Miami with tremendous late September official visits. In fact, a person close thought Texas was the best official visit Jackson and family made. And Texas has had tremendous conversations with Jackson and family since the visit. But that doesn’t mean Texas will be the pick Thursday. Kansas is also receiving some buzz despite having two guards committed already, including combo guard Chris Johnson. The most interesting team to watch is Notre Dame. That is due to Jackson playing on the Under Armour AAU circuit. One thing is for sure as of late Tuesday night, no one knows for sure which hat will end up on the head of the explosive guard.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Huh? 

With Beard at the helm.

Right now he's using Shaka and Barnes' guys as part of his recruiting pitch. It's not as compelling and is easily attacked as a recruiting position versus it being his own guys. I saw one big man reference Jericho Sims. How much does Beard have to do with Jericho Sims? It would be much more effective if Sims had actually played for Beard, but he didn't. 

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If y'all want recruiting updates in this thread let me know. I'll post whatever IT puts up regarding Texas basketball so I don't have to go to 2-3 different threads.

Five-star Ronald Holland on campus today

On3 Consensus 5-star power forward Ronald Holland and family will be on campus in Austin today. Inside Texas believes the Longhorns have been trending in recent weeks with UCLA emerging as the biggest threat. That doesn’t mean IT is placing Arkansas and Kentucky in the “out of contention” category, but there is a trend with this recruitment. Holland family want to take in a Chris Beard practice to get a feel for what that would look like if Holland picks the Longhorns. He did the same with UCLA. There is certainly more Texas buzz than UCLA, but the Texas staff still has to close.

The curious recruitment of Elmarko Jackson

On3 Consensus 4-star combo guard Elmarko Jackson is set to announce his decision October 13. There will be five hats on the table – Kansas, Texas, Notre Dame, Miami and Villanova. But everything Inside Texas is hearing down the stretch is centered around three programs. Kansas and Texas overtook Miami with tremendous late September official visits. In fact, a person close thought Texas was the best official visit Jackson and family made. And Texas has had tremendous conversations with Jackson and family since the visit. But that doesn’t mean Texas will be the pick Thursday. Kansas is also receiving some buzz despite having two guards committed already, including combo guard Chris Johnson. The most interesting team to watch is Notre Dame. That is due to Jackson playing on the Under Armour AAU circuit. One thing is for sure as of late Tuesday night, no one knows for sure which hat will end up on the head of the explosive guard.

Whatever makes it easier for you. I've never found this thread to get so much traffic that I can't follow recruiting information here, as well. The only thing I'd say is that once the season is actually ongoing having the conversation dedicated to recruiting is nice, but I don't really care.

Heck, if I had my way there wouldn't be this siloing of threads into these gargantuan constructs in any case. I understand it helps with search engine algorithms, but I'm more comfortable with a more free for all approach where people are encouraged to start threads more often. But that ain't happening. 

But yeah, if going to multiple threads is a hassle, just post it here as far as I'm concerned. 

48 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

With Beard at the helm.

Right now he's using Shaka and Barnes' guys as part of his recruiting pitch. It's not as compelling and is easily attacked as a recruiting position versus it being his own guys. I saw one big man reference Jericho Sims. How much does Beard have to do with Jericho Sims? It would be much more effective if Sims had actually played for Beard, but he didn't. 

I mean he got Arterio and Mitchell here, didn't he? 

I don't think it's difficult to recruit one and dones to Texas regardless of who the coach is. Last year there was a coaching turnover and Beard didn't really have a full cycle. 

44 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean he got Arterio and Mitchell here, didn't he? 

I don't think it's difficult to recruit one and dones to Texas regardless of who the coach is. Last year there was a coaching turnover and Beard didn't really have a full cycle. 

If Beard never sends anyone to the NBA while at Texas, do I think he could still recruit and win? Yes, I do.

Do I think it helps if he sends guys to the NBA and can use that as part of his recruiting pitch? Yes, I do.

It's absolutely one of the biggest sets of criteria for recruiting. For many players, it is the biggest. It's part of why Beard goes on and on about seeing his players as future professionals. I'm not sure what we're arguing about, to be honest. He missed on Cason Wallace to Kentucky. A big part of that was Wallace's NBA aspirations. He also wasn't able to bring in a big man that fits his very narrow criteria. 

That's not a criticism. I like the class he brought in. It will help when he's sending his own guys into the NBA from Texas. That seems like such a blinding glimpse of the obvious to me. It feels like you're picking at me here for some reason. I make a lot of stupid remarks on this board. If anything, this feels stupid because it's so obvious, not because it's wrong. But here we are. 

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

If Beard never sends anyone to the NBA while at Texas, do I think he could still recruit and win? Yes, I do.

Do I think it helps if he sends guys to the NBA and can use that as part of his recruiting pitch? Yes, I do.

It's absolutely one of the biggest sets of criteria for recruiting. For many players, it is the biggest. It's part of why Beard goes on and on about seeing his players as future professionals. I'm not sure what we're arguing about, to be honest. He missed on Cason Wallace to Kentucky. A big part of that was Wallace's NBA aspirations. He also wasn't able to bring in a big man that fits his very narrow criteria. 

That's not a criticism. I like the class he brought in. It will help when he's sending his own guys into the NBA from Texas. That seems like such a blinding glimpse of the obvious to me. It feels like you're picking at me here for some reason. I make a lot of stupid remarks on this board. If anything, this feels stupid because it's so obvious, not because it's wrong. But here we are. 

I agree Beard has a bad track record of producing NBA talent but the issue will fix itself at Texas. This isn't Tech - which has zero notable players in the league. 

And I genuinely didn't understand what you meant because "Texas as a program" is a very nebulous qualifier. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I agree Beard has a bad track record of producing NBA talent but the issue will fix itself at Texas. This isn't Tech - which has zero notable players in the league. 

And I genuinely didn't understand what you meant because "Texas as a program" is a very nebulous qualifier. 

I mean, there's a reason he left Tech for Texas. A bunch of reasons. It starts with the fact it's his alma mater. It's a Nike school, which helps a ton with basketball recruiting. Austin is easier to recruit to than Lubbock. Texas overall has a lot more resources for support. Not just staff, but that, too. But everything behind the scenes. Higher pay for everyone. 

It's not like Tech doesn't invest in basketball. They do, and Adams is going to reap the benefits of it. Tech is also being very forward thinking in how they're approaching NIL. But it is demonstrably easier to recruit NBA quality talent to Texas than to Tech, regardless of how little Texas did with it under Smart. 

But right now we're just wishcasting. It will have more impact when players at Texas coached by Beard end up being successful in the NBA. Which I feel is coming, but we're not there, yet. That will be one of the big final puzzle pieces, along with deep tournament runs at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm sure that thing between him and that girl was just a big misunderstanding. 

Legally that’s what it’s going to amount to. 

There has been a noticeable absence of him on the social feeds after the first one on one with him and Dylan Mitchell. Even clips featuring other players rarely show him in it. I’m absolutely positive that’s because they’re waiting for the final resolution of the case. I don’t know what the final dispensation is going to be or when it will occur, but I’m sure it’s going to entail the charges being dropped. Maybe there’s some kind of plea deal with volunteer work assigned? 

I would think we’d hear more on it from the justice system side of things. Maybe soon?

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not 2022-23 but uh

There is virtually no chance Texas is playing in the Big 12 in 24-25. So it’s a one year thing. Might not play in 2023, but that’s not my view. I assume Texas will be in the league for one run with the new schools then peace out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Wow, we got a balls schedule.  4 (or 5 probably with semi-finals conf. tourney) games with #5 Kansas & #5 Baylor.  #2 Gonzaga and #9 Creighton coming to Moody Center.  #10 Arkansas as well, albeit exhibition.  Travel to #11 Tennessee and #23 Illinois in New York.  And TCU and Texas Tech ranked.  How do you spell RPI?  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Wow, we got a balls schedule.  4 (or 5 probably with semi-finals conf. tourney) games with #5 Kansas & #5 Baylor.  #2 Gonzaga and #9 Creighton coming to Moody Center.  #10 Arkansas as well, albeit exhibition.  Travel to #11 Tennessee and #23 Illinois in New York.  And TCU and Texas Tech ranked.  How do you spell RPI?  

I spell it RPI

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I'm going to be in Austin the Monday before Thanksgiving and see there's a game that is part of a tournament. Anyone know why there are no tickets on sale for it? 

They try and sell as many season tickets as they can before they open up single games.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I'm going to be in Austin the Monday before Thanksgiving and see there's a game that is part of a tournament. Anyone know why there are no tickets on sale for it? 

Because they're playing that Monday game in Edinburgh.  We're going to the Rio Grande Valley to play a team from Northern Arizona so that UT-RGV can some to Austin to play us later that week.  it's what Coach Black would have wanted.  

Just now, YGIFS said:

Because they're playing that Monday game in Edinburgh.  We're going to the Rio Grande Valley to play a team from Northern Arizona so that UT-RGV can some to Austin to play us later that week.  it's what Coach Black would have wanted.  

Well that makes sense. I thought the game was in Austin. Crap,I was looking forward to going

16 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Obviously doesn't quite fit into the 2022-23 Texas thread, but whatever/wherever. Found this in the attic today, and it brought back many memories of wild games in Gregory. Larry Robinson was an absolute monster. 

7966DE32-91D4-40BB-A288-C19A48641065.thumb.jpeg.4a129b82df06dc5e4b4de1aa19bbe902.jpeg

Looks like BG, John Mark Wilson, Harry Larrabee, Eric Groscurth  and Larry. We went up to Mid-South Coliseum in Memphis that year and beat Memphis State at their place. They went on to the national finals and got beat by UCLA when Walton made something like 23 out of 24 baskets.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

My mom is here visiting for a couple of weeks from Kyle. We went out to lunch today and it's a little cold so she had on her Longhorn fleece. We're sitting in the Lee's Summit Panera and this lady walks up to the table. She says to us I know you don't know me, but I saw your Longhorn and wanted to buy you a cookie. I thought, cool a Texas ex connecting. Then she said my son Christian is on the basketball team. We ended up having a nice chat about him and the team. 

Cool story, for real. I was leaving a Denver gym the other day in a Longhorns shirt and an older woman in a car stopped and began to chat with me. Turned out to be Jace Febres' aunt. She was pretty surprised that I had heard of him. 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 10/17/2022 at 6:08 PM, Mo Horn said:

My mom is here visiting for a couple of weeks from Kyle. We went out to lunch today and it's a little cold so she had on her Longhorn fleece. We're sitting in the Lee's Summit Panera and this lady walks up to the table. She says to us I know you don't know me, but I saw your Longhorn and wanted to buy you a cookie. I thought, cool a Texas ex connecting. Then she said my son Christian is on the basketball team. We ended up having a nice chat about him and the team. 

That's awesome! I actually had a reporter from Kansas City approach me in Milwaukee last year at our open practice the day before the game. He was trying to connect with CB's family to do a profile on him. 

Hopefully he makes good on his potential this year. He's shown flashes.

Texas hoops recruiting: Holland, Johnson and Stojakovic

Gerry Hamilton•18 minutes

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

Andrej Stojakovic / Player submitted photo (Credit: Deadstock Visuals)

The Texas Longhorns continue to be in recruiting battles for the top three 2023 prospects on the board.

Texas is in the lead spot, or in the top two for 5-stars Ronald Holland, A.J. Johnson and 4-star Andrej Stojakovic.

Longhorns head coach Chris Beard and staff are working diligently with decisions closing in, and that includes Beard going straight from Big 12 media day in Kansas City to visit a top target.

Ronald Holland nearing decision

On3 Consensus 5-star power forward Ronald Holland’s recruitment continues be battle between Texas, Arkansas and UCLA with Kentucky and the G-league on the peripheral. The 6-foot-7 skilled forward and his mother took final trips to UCLA, Texas and Arkansas in the last week so Holland could watch a practice, and get a feel for each staff in that setting.

The bottom line in this one is that there is confidence on the side of Arkansas. And there is confidence on the side of Texas. And that is confidence on both sides as of Wednesday. Inside Texas has been predicting that Holland’s recruitment would come down to close to home schools Texas and Arkansas, as long as a key family member maintained that as a deciding factor. IT doesn’t feel like that has changed, as of Wednesday.

Holland and family continues to plan to attend the Arkansas-Texas exhibition game October 29 at The Moody Center.

Inside Texas expects Holland to make a decision prior to the early signing period November 9, as of today.

A.J. Johnson and the Louisville visit

On3 Consensus 5-star point guard A.J. Johnson isn’t a lock to make the Louisville official visit, as of Wednesday. Inside Texas isn’t reporting that Johnson won’t make the visit this weekend, to be clear. What IT is reporting is that the visit isn’t a lock to be made as of Wednesday afternoon.

The Longhorns continue to hold a lead for the near 6-foot-5 explosive point guard with a decision likely prior to the November 9 early signing period. Texas currently leads Louisville and LSU.

Texas knocked the September 10 official visit out of the park, which was the only official visit “big brother” and rockets guard Jalen Green attended with Johnson.

Should Johnson pick Texas, the closeness to Houston will be a key factor. Along with Texas set to lose Marcus Carr and Sir’Jabari Rice after the season. Point guard Tyrese Hunter could also opt for the NBA draft with a strong 2022-23 season.

Texas visits Stojakovic Wednesday

Texas head coach Chris Beard boarded a flight following Big 12 media day Wednesday and headed to Carmichael, Calif. to see Andrej Stojakovic one last time prior to a decision. Beard met associate head coach Rodney Terry, who had spent the majority of the day in the Sacramento area.

Headed into the final visit with Stojakovic and family, the feeling according to a source on the West Coast was that Stanford has a slight lead over Texas and UCLA. A member of the family really likes the idea of Stanford. UCLA was viewed as the favorite heading into September, but recent intel suggest Andrej favors Stanford and Texas over UCLA.

A decision from the nearing 6-foot-7 guard/wing could come in the next week with Halloween considered the latest dat, barring a shift in timeline.

What Beard and Terry did Wednesday was leave it on the court/field. Stojakovic knows exactly how much he is coveted by Texas. The Longhorns have done all they can do in this recruitment. That’s spending as much time as allowed per NCAA rules with Andrej, Peja and the family.

Cedric Lath official visit

The Longhorns remain likely to bring in rugged 6-foot-9, 235-pound big man Cedric Lath in for an official visit. Texas assistant Brandon Chappell is leading the charge in this recruitment. The competition remains the Houston Cougars. Lath has already made an official visit to Houston, and Kelvin Sampson and staff have been pushing hard for a commitment.

And a final note. IT will not be totally surprised if another 2023 nationally ranked prospect pops onto the Texas radar late.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

holy shit, try reading those first two paragraphs on holland without stopping five times to reread/decipher what gerry actually meant. that dude needs somebody to proofread his articles in a bad way. 

I guess I'm just used to Gerry's public circumlocutions. 

His public statements are always going to be that way. 

If I had to guess, and I do, I'd say he's 40/60 on Holland going to Texas. He trusts his source telling him it's going to be Texas. He just doesn't trust his source to be correct. I know that doesn't make sense. But a source can be 100% sure of an outcome based on everything they know, but if they don't have the right information, they end up being wrong. I think Gerry has doubts his source that's sure of himself has all the facts. 

I'll also say the steak and bottle of wine is a good indication that Texas is pulling out all the stops to bring Holland in. All the stops. 

With AJ Johnson it's obvious he thinks Texas is in great shape.

Stojakovich he thinks is almost certainly a lost cause to Stanford. 

Lath he's waiting to see how the visit goes. 

He also knows Texas is pursuing another top candidate with a decent shot of at least getting an official visit. 

But that's me doing my best Gerry interpretation. It's basically guessing on my part. 

I don't care about a proof reader. I'm just thankful we have someone as informed as Gerry that's not rah rah, not blow up our skirts for clicks, and actually has a good eye for basketball talent. I don't see him sharing that aspect on the boards. There was a big gap when he was doing the work for ESPN. No one comes close to the basketball coverage Gerry provides. It's always been that way. 

Gut, that 72-73 team could have been really good but we lost 2 starters. I believe that it was that year when Coach had to tell John Mark Wilson that he couldn't play his senior year. Back in the dark ages, you didn't scope but rather you would cut. He had had multiple surgeries on both of his knees and his knees looked like Frankenstein. Evidently, the medical staff talked with the coaches and told them that if he injured either knee one more time, he would be crippled for life. So the coaches obviously left him on scholarship but he couldn't participate any longer.

If think that Larry git hurt during non-conference that year at OU and he was gone for the season. Those 2 could have made that year far more successful. The 2 years that Larry played; he was the SWC MVP.  Despite what some of the board experts may think, Larry was probably the best player in the SWC in the 70s.

• Hook 'Em 1