Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

I don't remember that guy, but kudos on not smoking meth on Saturday mornings.  We all got our recovery shit to handle.  

I am consistently fascinated how folks can remember the posting patterns/thematics of handles from years ago.  With a gun to my head, I could only tell you the handles of a few folks from the Seinfeld and AA threads.  I guess it makes sense since I'm horrible with names and faces in real life and it's only gotten worse since Covid.  I actually like and care about people in real life, I just don't know who the fuck they are.  I'm pretty sure the three shorter people in my house can hear me typing.  

Texas Hoops Report: Guard play standing out; recruiting

Gerry Hamilton•about 3 hours

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

Dillon Mitchell / Player submitted photo

The Texas Longhorns have gone through a handful of practices with the November 7 season opener just 37 days away.

The Longhorns in year two under Chris Beard and staff are a two seed in the September 6 release of ESPN’s Bracketology. 

The Longhorns will have a much more explosive and deeper backcourt this season due to the transfer of point guard Tyrese Hunter and versatile 6-foot-4 guard Sir’Jabari Rice, along with freshmen Arterio Morris and Rowan Brumbaugh. Hunter, Rice and Marcus Carr were all starting point guards on teams that advanced to the NCAA Round of 32 or better a season ago.

Inside Texas brings a first batch of practice nuggets gather in the last few hours.

Guard play is much improved

In speaking with a couple of sources, the Longhorns guard play is going to have a much different look than year one under Beard and staff.

“Guard play has been really good. More individually talented, more versatile and there is depth,” a source said.

Tyrese Hunter has been all that was advertised, and then some. There is little doubt the near 6-foot-0.5 point guard is going to to be huge different maker this season.

“Tyrese is a really, really good player,” said one source. “He’s been terrific with his speed, playmaking and decision making.” Said a second source.

Another guard that has impressed has been freshman Arterio Morris. The 6-foot-3 high-end athlete came on the last three weeks of the summer, and that has carried over to the firs few practices.

“Terio has flashed playmaking thus far. He’s playing within himself, and not forcing action,” said one source.

A second source said Morris has garnered some Jahmi’us Ramsey comparisons early on. The difference being Morris has more veteran guards around him, and can play in more an attacking manner without having to force action as much.

Former On3 Consensus 5-star forward Dillon Mitchell has continued to show his high-end athleticism. But with practice now underway, his ability to play without the ball has been highlighted.

“Dillon makes pretty special, instinctive plays. Moving without the ball with purpose and feel is his strength. He has rebounded well too,” said a source.

Texas Longhorns 2022-23 roster

PG Tyrese Hunter, 6-1, sophomore (11.0 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4.9 assists at Iowa State in 2021-22)

CG Marcus Carr, 6-2, super senior (11.4 points, 1.9 rebounds, 3.4 assists in 2021-22)

SG Sir’Jabari Rice, 6-4, super senior (11.9 points, 5.1 rebounds, 3.1 assists at New Mexico State in 2021-22)

PG Rowan Brumbaugh, 6-4, freshman

CG Arterio Morris, 6-3, freshman 

F Timmy Allen, 6-6, super senior (12.1 points, 6.4 rebounds, 2.1 assists in 2021-22)

F Dillon Mitchell, 6-7.5, freshman

F Brock Cunningham, 6-6, senior (2.3 points, 2.3 rebounds, 0.6 assists in 2021-22) 

PF Alex Anamekwe, 6-6, freshman

PF Christian Bishop, 6-7, super senior (7.0 points, 5.6 rebounds, 0.9 blocks in 2021-22)

PF Dylan Disu, 6-9, senior (3.7 points, 3.2 rebounds, 0.8 blocks in 2021-22)

Texas recruiting will have answers in October

The Texas staff continues to battle for the four high school prospects they have zeroed in on. Those four are power forward Ronald Holland, G/W Andrej Stojakovic, point guard A.J. Johnson and combo guard Elmarko Jackson.

In speaking with a source close to the recruitment of On3 Consensus 5-star point guard A.J. Johnson told Inside Texas that the Longhorns lead LSU heading into a schedule official visit to Louisville October 21. The 6-foot-4.5 explosive guard and future NBA lottery pick will likely make a decision shortly after the visit. Texas is expected to be in Los Angeles this week for an in home visit with Johnson.

Texas knocked another official visit out of the park over the weekend with Elmarko Jackson. Miami led Kansas and Texas headed into the visit. Notre Dame and Virginia are likely to receive visits before a decisions is made. And Villanova could too, but they are on the periphery currently. Jackson, his mom and mentor all left Austin with very positive feelings about the Texas program.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Texas Hoops Report: Guard play standing out; recruiting

Gerry Hamilton•about 3 hours

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

Dillon Mitchell / Player submitted photo

The Texas Longhorns have gone through a handful of practices with the November 7 season opener just 37 days away.

The Longhorns in year two under Chris Beard and staff are a two seed in the September 6 release of ESPN’s Bracketology. 

The Longhorns will have a much more explosive and deeper backcourt this season due to the transfer of point guard Tyrese Hunter and versatile 6-foot-4 guard Sir’Jabari Rice, along with freshmen Arterio Morris and Rowan Brumbaugh. Hunter, Rice and Marcus Carr were all starting point guards on teams that advanced to the NCAA Round of 32 or better a season ago.

Inside Texas brings a first batch of practice nuggets gather in the last few hours.

Guard play is much improved

In speaking with a couple of sources, the Longhorns guard play is going to have a much different look than year one under Beard and staff.

“Guard play has been really good. More individually talented, more versatile and there is depth,” a source said.

Tyrese Hunter has been all that was advertised, and then some. There is little doubt the near 6-foot-0.5 point guard is going to to be huge different maker this season.

“Tyrese is a really, really good player,” said one source. “He’s been terrific with his speed, playmaking and decision making.” Said a second source.

Another guard that has impressed has been freshman Arterio Morris. The 6-foot-3 high-end athlete came on the last three weeks of the summer, and that has carried over to the firs few practices.

“Terio has flashed playmaking thus far. He’s playing within himself, and not forcing action,” said one source.

A second source said Morris has garnered some Jahmi’us Ramsey comparisons early on. The difference being Morris has more veteran guards around him, and can play in more an attacking manner without having to force action as much.

Former On3 Consensus 5-star forward Dillon Mitchell has continued to show his high-end athleticism. But with practice now underway, his ability to play without the ball has been highlighted.

“Dillon makes pretty special, instinctive plays. Moving without the ball with purpose and feel is his strength. He has rebounded well too,” said a source.

Texas Longhorns 2022-23 roster

PG Tyrese Hunter, 6-1, sophomore (11.0 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4.9 assists at Iowa State in 2021-22)

CG Marcus Carr, 6-2, super senior (11.4 points, 1.9 rebounds, 3.4 assists in 2021-22)

SG Sir’Jabari Rice, 6-4, super senior (11.9 points, 5.1 rebounds, 3.1 assists at New Mexico State in 2021-22)

PG Rowan Brumbaugh, 6-4, freshman

CG Arterio Morris, 6-3, freshman 

F Timmy Allen, 6-6, super senior (12.1 points, 6.4 rebounds, 2.1 assists in 2021-22)

F Dillon Mitchell, 6-7.5, freshman

F Brock Cunningham, 6-6, senior (2.3 points, 2.3 rebounds, 0.6 assists in 2021-22) 

PF Alex Anamekwe, 6-6, freshman

PF Christian Bishop, 6-7, super senior (7.0 points, 5.6 rebounds, 0.9 blocks in 2021-22)

PF Dylan Disu, 6-9, senior (3.7 points, 3.2 rebounds, 0.8 blocks in 2021-22)

Texas recruiting will have answers in October

The Texas staff continues to battle for the four high school prospects they have zeroed in on. Those four are power forward Ronald Holland, G/W Andrej Stojakovic, point guard A.J. Johnson and combo guard Elmarko Jackson.

In speaking with a source close to the recruitment of On3 Consensus 5-star point guard A.J. Johnson told Inside Texas that the Longhorns lead LSU heading into a schedule official visit to Louisville October 21. The 6-foot-4.5 explosive guard and future NBA lottery pick will likely make a decision shortly after the visit. Texas is expected to be in Los Angeles this week for an in home visit with Johnson.

Texas knocked another official visit out of the park over the weekend with Elmarko Jackson. Miami led Kansas and Texas headed into the visit. Notre Dame and Virginia are likely to receive visits before a decisions is made. And Villanova could too, but they are on the periphery currently. Jackson, his mom and mentor all left Austin with very positive feelings about the Texas program.

Man, I'd kill for a good word on Disu. It doesn't even need to be factual. Just make shit up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Dylan Disu dominated Kevin Durant when KD came back to Austin for pickup games with the team this summer, and the only reason you aren’t hearing about him in practice reports is because he’s taking a leave absence to broker a peace treaty between Russia and Ukraine.

A peace treaty? At this stage of the conflict? So he's a Russian shill, then. Wonderful. 

That's good to hear about him dominating Durant, though. I hope it translates to college players. 

I texted rick barnes, who texted pancho, who texted disu, and word is that disu "conservatively" plans to shoot 42% from deep while averaging 4.7 dunks per game. if things go his way and he gets a couple good bounces, we could see him shooting upwards of 60, even 65% from bta, sometimes left handed. oh and he doesn't plan on missing any FTs either, so. i'm cautiously optimistic.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Dylan Disu dominated Kevin Durant when KD came back to Austin for pickup games with the team this summer, and the only reason you aren’t hearing about him in practice reports is because he’s taking a leave absence to broker a peace treaty between Russia and Ukraine.

Hopefully, he will be recruiting while brokering the peace treaty.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/2/2022 at 8:40 PM, SL Xpress said:

Man, I'd kill for a good word on Disu. It doesn't even need to be factual. Just make shit up. 

Didn't see this posted here. Sounds positive.

“We saw flashes last year,” fifth-year guard Marcus Carr said. “He'd make plays where you’re like, ‘dang,’ but now it's become an everyday consistent thing. When he's playing at that level, the sky's the limit for us.”

• Hook 'Em 7

22 minutes ago, pacman said:

Didn't see this posted here. Sounds positive.

Spoiler

With Dylan Disu finally healthy, Texas believes the 'sky’s the limit'

Nick MoyleStaff writer
Aug. 6, 2022

Texas forward Dylan Disu, center, figures to play a key role for a Longhorns team whose lack of size was a key factor in a second-round NCAA Tournament loss to Purdue last season.

Texas forward Dylan Disu, center, figures to play a key role for a Longhorns team whose lack of size was a key factor in a second-round NCAA Tournament loss to Purdue last season.

Sam Grenadier, Photojournalist / Sam Grenadier/San Antonio Express-News

AUSTIN — Teammates took to calling the gangly freshman from Pflugerville “Bambi” not long after he arrived on Vanderbilt’s campus in 2019. Dylan Disu loathed the nickname, but it wasn’t exactly off-base.

Bambi spent that first year in Nashville, Tenn., teetering around on a pair of stilts, trying to pack meat onto a spindly 6-foot-9 physique that looked to be about 80 percent limbs. There was indeed some newborn fawn to Disu back then, but he shed the unwanted label quickly and morphed into the Commodores’ best big man as a sophomore prior to a season-ending knee injury.

Disu’s ongoing rehab didn’t scare off Texas coach Chris Beard last year as he assembled a roster packed with transfers. And with his hometown just up the road from campus, the match felt perfect.

But the recovery process stripped Disu of a complete offseason with the Longhorns.

He didn’t debut until Dec. 14, a couple weeks before conference play began. And truthfully, Disu looked more like that wobbly freshman during his first season with Texas than anyone anticipated, himself included.

“Without the offseason and being able to have that with my teammates, and all those practices and games that I missed, it was tough to get to that point,” Disu said Wednesday following practice at the new Moody Center. “We're about to start Big 12 play and I haven't gelled with them yet, so it was very tough. And physically, I wasn't really in a great shape. It's hard to get in basketball shape without playing basketball. In limited minutes it’s just very tough to get to that point.”

Disu occasionally resembled the do-it-all stretch big who put up 15 points, 9.2 rebounds, 1.4 3s and 1.2 blocks per game in his final abbreviated season with Vandy. But he averaged just 3.7 points and 3.2 rebounds in limited minutes as a reserve for Texas in 2021-22 despite the team’s lack of size.

“Mentally and physically, I don’t feel like I was fully there,” Disu admitted. “I think this year will be a lot better.”

Disu sure seems to be in better spirits these days, a little more than four months removed from the team’s second-round loss to third-seeded Purdue in the NCAA tournament. And more than any other game last season, that 10-point loss to the Boilermakers illustrated how much Texas needs size on the court.

Purdue outrebounded Texas 41-28 and went 33-for-46 from the free throw line in its 81-71 win. Disu played only nine minutes, grabbing four rebounds (three offensive) and blocking two shots in his limited run.

This year, Disu is both the Longhorns’ tallest and heaviest (225 pounds) player. Beard needs the length and versatility out there, especially with Drew Timme-led Gonzaga coming to town on Nov. 16.

Returning starter Timmy Allen expects Disu will be ready for that moment and the ones to come. More than that, Allen expects this healthier, bubblier Disu to open some eyes.

“We would play (1 on 1) last year and I saw who he was,” Allen said. “So when I talk about him coming out of his shell, he has a lot to give. Just his energy and who he is as a person off the floor impacts the team on the floor. And him being at his peak will push us to heights we don't even know about.”

Beard’s second Texas team contains a good mixture of returning veterans, battle-tested transfers and blue-chip freshmen. And Disu, now eyeing the 2023 NBA draft, looms as the X-factor heading into this prove-it second season with the Longhorns.

“We saw flashes last year,” fifth-year guard Marcus Carr said. “He'd make plays where you’re like, ‘dang,’ but now it's become an everyday consistent thing. When he's playing at that level, the sky's the limit for us.”

You and Nick Moyle are heroes to me, pacman.   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bolero88 said:

I watched us play Duke in MSG twenty years ago. It was an awesome experience to be in MSG, but we left in the "fourth quarter" because we were getting whooped. Here's hoping for better results this year.

was that the JJ game in black jerseys?..

that white boy was ballin

fuck. its been 20 years?

1 hour ago, kingkoopa6 said:

was that the JJ game in black jerseys?..

that white boy was ballin

fuck. its been 20 years?

I honestly don't remember JJ specifically. I'm pretty sure it was December of 2002, which I think was his freshman year. We were overwhelmed from the get go, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Bolero88 said:

I honestly don't remember JJ specifically. I'm pretty sure it was December of 2002, which I think was his freshman year. We were overwhelmed from the get go, unfortunately.

Yes Reddick smoked us. Our elite 8 year with Tucker, Aldridge and Gibson. The black jerseys were nice though 

I think that's a digitized image (just loosely based on an actual photograph).  Not sure though, my eyes have a tough time making out stuff on a laptop screen properly.  But I think eventually the idea is to project shit onto those screens. . People forget that it was a long-standing issue that about 1/3rd of our games were played when there were no students on campus.  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I think that's a digitized image (just loosely based on an actual photograph).  Not sure though, my eyes have a tough time making out stuff on a laptop screen properly.  But I think eventually the idea is to project shit onto those screens. . People forget that it was a long-standing issue that about 1/3rd of our games were played when there were no students on campus.  

yeah. i don't mind the aesthetics of the covers, just that it doesn't go all the way around and appears to be SRO on one of the baselines. Looks terrible.

1 hour ago, Bottlecap said:

yeah. i don't mind the aesthetics of the covers, just that it doesn't go all the way around and appears to be SRO on one of the baselines. Looks terrible.

There is a bar up there and that's the side that has the outdoor patio that overlooks the track stadium. I'm guessing they plan to have this the pre-game/halftime hangout for the non club members. If so, though, I hope it doesn't lead to people hanging out up there during the game and not in lower bowl seats.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Texas fans would never do something like that. 

Yeah, I don't exactly run with the big dogs, but I was given north end zone club seats to the Notre Dame game a few years back, and it honestly surprised me how many people just sorta hung out in the club w/o watching the game.

IT Scoop:

Texas Hoops

The Texas Longhorns team continues to prep for the 2022-23 season. The guard play is next level compared to this time a season ago. 

Point guard Tyrese Hunter has been labeled “the real deal” thus far. His quickness, leaping ability, playmaking and on the ball defensive ability is a huge jump up for the Longhorns. 

Marcus Carr and Sir’Jabari Rice continue to show that the Longhorns will be much better on the wings/off guard this season. Both players will have the ball in hand and initiate offense from time to time, but they are tasked with helping take Texas to another level as playmakers from the wing. Carr is 15 pounds lighter than this time last year, and will enter the season with more of a scorers mindset than last year. Rice has been called “the best all-around player on the team” by an NBA scout that has seen Texas up close. 

Arterio Morris (Dallas/Kimball) ended the summer workouts showing signs of settling into big time college basketball. That has carried over to the practices thus far. According to a source very close to the program, Morris is “a very athletic player that is playing within himself. He’s making plays off the older guards, and he looks terrific doing it.”

Texas feels like the four guards will match up with anyone in college basketball. Freshman point guard Rowan Brumbaugh will be the fifth guard with upside team running ability. 

The top two rebounders in the live 5v5 practice setting has been Dylan Disu and Dillon Mitchell. And that is just what the Longhorns need. Texas fans didn’t get the opportunity to see the best version of Disu a year ago. He continues to gain confidence in the air, and is a more active player right now. Mitchell is the best athlete on the team, but more importantly he knows how to use his freaky ability. He’s tremendous without the ball, and makes a lot of winning plays. Mitchell and Rice do that more consistently than anyone else on the team. Timmy Allen is third in that regard.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Rice has been called “the best all-around player on the team” by an NBA scout that has seen Texas up close. 

damn. sounds like he and disu have the potential to take this team from a sweet 16 team to a final four team. what a huge lift it would be if both could play to their potential this year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

i just take it to mean "most well rounded/versatile". i'm sure there are several guys who are are better players and who will be bigger contributors, but it sounds to me like Rice brings enough in different areas that he might be a 25+ mpg game for us, which is not a role i necessarily expected for him when he signed.

22 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Based on last year, I'd guess Timmy to be the team's top all-arounder, so if Rice comes close to matching Allen's impact, we fans are indeed in for a treat.

Gerry also said that Rice and Mitchell are already better away from the ball than Timmy Allen. Which is saying something.

I'm not ready to drink any kind of Final Four koolaid. I did enough of that during last year's preseason. I do know I'm excited to see this team play. If I was in Austin I'd be heading to the first practice for sure, just to get a firsthand look at these guys. 

For me all they really need to do is finish top 3 in the conference and make a Sweet Sixteen. That's still a heck of an accomplishment in this league, and it's incrementally better than what the team did last year. That keeps building success in the program. If Mitchell and anyone else can get drafted in the NBA first round, then that starts establishing Texas as a program that sends players to the pros. closetojumping already talked about how well the program is set up for NIL in the basketball recruiting thread, and he'd know. I figured based on what has happened in recruiting and the portal, but that's more confirmation. 

Then you have Moody, with the new student section around the court and the separation of donations from the football program. With Beard as the uber marketer.

It just feels like all the pieces are there for a long run of excellence. 

Let's get this season started already! Or at least the preseason, against Arkansas!

• Hook 'Em 7

49 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Beard said in his weekly press conference last week that the player who would surprise a lot of people is Rice. 

He must be doing something right in practice. 

Well, part of that was Rice and Hunter being the featured players to talk to the media immediately prior to Beard addressing the press. I’m not saying you’re wrong. Just that there’s the reason he was specific about Rice. 

I’ll also point out you can’t really trust Beard when he throws out superlatives from a critical analysis perspective. His goal isn’t to provide an unvarnished view of players’ strengths and weaknesses. His goal is to sell the media and fans - but most importantly the players themselves - on how good they are. 

That said, a 6’4 guard with extensive experience initiating the offense, a defensive minded player who can defend positions 1 through 4, who can attack the rim off the dribble, get to the foul line, with potential to hit 35% of his shots BTA, who has put on 20 lbs of weight to go from 155 to 175, who is a fifth year post grad with winning NCAA tournament experience, is a helluva asset to have on the team, and potentially someone special. But even if he isn’t all world, as the 4th guard with Hunter, Carr, and Morris, he can be a tremendous contributor to one of the best backcourts in the country. 

Not saying that’s what they will be, but that’s the goal. He can be an extremely versatile piece to the puzzle for a head coach who idealizes versatile pieces above all else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I really like the way the roster is structured in terms of minute distribution. I don’t see any log jams that may create individual playing time frustrations like we saw last year with Mitchell and Tyson. We have 4 legit guards with a clear pecking order in terms of seniority/experience among the top 3. Bishop and Disu will probably see an even split in time at the 5, with either guy being capable of starting or finishing the game. Allen & Mitchell can play alongside each other or spell one another. Then you have Brock and the other white kid ready to go when needed. We may drop a game or two due to lack of post depth, but the versatility on this roster is a major strength. Beard has a lot of room to experiment.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Ronald Holland making a return visit this weekend. 

I like that. From what I've heard, Arkansas is the big competition. Having him in Austin for multiple visits is a good sign, obviously.

I realize he'd help any team in the country, but he's that ideal positionless player that Beard covets. Particularly among his 6'8+ type players. Guys who can switch on anyone, and who are committed to playing great defense. He has plenty of other tools as well, but that's what stands out to me about him. 

1 hour ago, CheesePie said:

I really like the way the roster is structured in terms of minute distribution. I don’t see any log jams that may create individual playing time frustrations like we saw last year with Mitchell and Tyson. We have 4 legit guards with a clear pecking order in terms of seniority/experience among the top 3. Bishop and Disu will probably see an even split in time at the 5, with either guy being capable of starting or finishing the game. Allen & Mitchell can play alongside each other or spell one another. Then you have Brock and the other white kid ready to go when needed. We may drop a game or two due to lack of post depth, but the versatility on this roster is a major strength. Beard has a lot of room to experiment.

Post depth and 3 point shooting. Those are the issues with this team entering the season. Versatility and athleticism are most definitely non issues. 

• Hook 'Em 1