Chris Beard is not going to take your shit

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Ok bro.  Hope you didn’t hurt yourself with that one 

why are you responding to me with such hostility?!? why can't you just leave it alone and walk away???

im gonna keep track of everyone in here who is so disappointed and distressed that Chris Beard didn't just walk away, and i'm going to blast you every single time you argue with someone else on this site, from now until eternity. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/16/2022 at 10:30 AM, SL Xpress said:

I don’t agree with this at all. Chris Beard is plenty quick witted. This wasn’t about showcasing his repartee. This was about confronting one individual who felt like he could say whatever he wanted without consequence. When confronted, the kid couldn’t back it up. He just got that deer in a headlights look cowards of all sorts get in that situation. 

All of you people chastising Beard, or saying he needs to talk to the PR department need to get over yourselves. Beard didn’t get involved in fisticuffs. As noted, he was direct and challenging, but he wasn’t bowing up. He wanted to see if that kid was willing to stand by his words when directly confronted about it. He got his answer. 

None of us are going to change the world in any kind of demonstrable way. Not you, me, or Chris Beard, even. But letting bad actors get away with shitty behavior allows them the feeling of more and more entitlement. I like that Beard held one person accountable for their behavior, even if it was in a small way, with a tiny gesture. If more of us were willing to stand up to bad actors the human race would be better off. 

God you are unnecessarily long winded. Nobody is chastising Beard. When idiots say stupid shit, look at them and smile. Do not respond, because doing so validates their comments, and not doing so will drive them crazy and make them feel stupid. 

This isn’t a big deal either way, but what Beard did isn’t advisable. 

If shit like that motivates Beard to put in that little extra more, to work just a little harder to get that top recruit, to add just a bit more to put this program over the top then have at it. Leave the guy be.  

The top competitors are always weird as fuck and obsessive. Tom Brady was sitting with 5 rings and hyper focusing and only talking about that one idiot reporter who said he was going to be washed up next season. No matter that 99 percent of them were kissing his ass. 

Beard has a team full of transfers and Shaka's leftover softness playing hard ass ball on the road and going toe to toe with top 25 teams regularly. Just enjoy it

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you've got to be kidding me. the guy who changes his posting handle every other week and has a 10-15 year history of obsessing over multiple posters and overreacting to all kinds of harmless, inane crap on the internet wants to know why Chris Beard didn't just ignore some kid who talked shit to him in person. that's rich. 

I changed my handle once. I have a 10 m-15 year history of obsessing over whom?

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

God you are unnecessarily long winded. Nobody is chastising Beard. When idiots say stupid shit, look at them and smile. Do not respond, because doing so validates their comments, and not doing so will drive them crazy and make them feel stupid. 

Happy The Rock GIF

is anyone here aware of the fact that a Kentucky coach started an on-court, mid-game scuffle with Tennessee players, almost exactly at the same time that Chris Beard said this one sentence to this one guy, who started the confrontation with Beard? yeah, that happened. so if that can happen without any of you even being aware of it, then where the hell is all of this fear coming from about how "bad" this looks for Beard and our program? the only people who are stressing about this are here in this thread, and it is so strange and misguided. 

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

is anyone here aware of the fact that a Kentucky coach started an on-court, mid-game scuffle with Tennessee players, almost exactly at the same time that Chris Beard said this one sentence to this one guy, who started the confrontation with Beard? yeah, that happened. so if that can happen without any of you even being aware of it, then where the hell is all of this fear coming from about how "bad" this looks for Beard and our program? the only people who are stressing about this are here in this thread, and it is so strange and misguided. 

I haven’t read much of page 1 or any of 2 or 3 because I don’t care to. Are people really stressing?  It was beneath him to respond. But it ain’t a big deal. 

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

why are you responding to me with such hostility?!? why can't you just leave it alone and walk away???

im gonna keep track of everyone in here who is so disappointed and distressed that Chris Beard didn't just walk away, and i'm going to blast you every single time you argue with someone else on this site, from now until eternity. 

This is such a great post, pointing out the absurdness and irony of this thread given the topic. Fontana telling everyone to fuck off because Beard didn’t just keep walking, yet can’t restrain himself at all in an online chat board.  Priceless. Bravo. 

Those of us who are Texas fans have had plenty of reasons to feel embarrassed by things our coaches, players, or teams have done, but this sure as hell isn't one of them.  In this instance, the reaction of some of the fanbase is what's embarrassing.  

Would I have reacted differently?  I definitely would have.  So fucking what?  Chris Beard is not me, and if you want our basketball program to be successful, you should be thankful for that.  

On 2/16/2022 at 6:02 PM, Pam Cummings said:

This thread is why the internet was a stupid idea. Fucking idiots dissecting every aspect about this one tiny, insignificant interaction between two people.

…and fucking idiots reading pages of threads and posting responses telling people what fucking idiots they are for posting in the first place.

Welcome to the party, pal….

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Meh. Argue? We're mostly just meaningless dicks on a message board, and will do so for the sake of arguing. At pretty much anything. That's surly. 

I love Beard's tenacity, simply love it. I look forward to him getting in Self's face at some point when warranted. That will happen eventually. And I love Beard continuing to confront sideways referees as needed. And especially doing the same with any / all of our players who aren't onboard with the program. All of those things merit Beard's attention, and I want him front and center in all of these situations.

But some zit-faced cunt who's been beaten with a stupid stick over and over and has nothing better to do but hang around in a god-awful arena, in a god-awful city, in a god-awful state just to try and provoke the head coach at Texas and make TMZ Sports.  And thus make his life complete, at the age of 19?     

Let it go. Pick your battles. As noted above, there are plenty. 

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

I love Beard's tenacity, simply love it. I look forward to him getting in Self's face at some point when warranted. That will happen eventually.

I'm not sure why you think that would ever happen. Beard doesn't and never will go around picking fights with other coaches. Also, Self and Beard have known each other for like 25 years and there's a lot of mutual respect there. He's not gonna get up in the face of one of his friends just to try and look "cool" on camera.

Let's reset our level.  By any measure, Michigan is a D1 blueblood, across multiple sports.  Easily the equal to Texas, especially in basketball.  Here we see their head  coach throwing a punch at the Wisconsin coach, post-game.  But sure, Chris Beard's behavior is shameful.  (Yes, it's possible to assess both as "shameful", but let's consider degree, since that's what super apes are capable of doing.)

On 2/18/2022 at 1:41 PM, Porterhouse said:

Kinda funny seeing this happen today between Michigan and Wisconsin after seeing Beard's interaction with the blOU fan in Norman... 😋

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Kinda funny seeing this happen today between Michigan and Wisconsin after seeing Beard's interaction with the blOU fan in Norman... 😋

Juwan Howard is a fucking moron without any emotional control. What a classless bastard.

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's reset our level.  By any measure, Michigan is a D1 blueblood, across multiple sports.  Easily the equal to Texas, especially in basketball.  Here we see their head  coach throwing a punch at the Wisconsin coach, post-game.  But sure, Chris Beard's behavior is shameful.  (Yes, it's possible to assess both as "shameful", but let's consider degree, since that's what super apes are capable of doing.)

Did anyone actually say what Beard did was shameful? I don't remember that. Mostly I just saw people saying it was fine and people saying he should have ignored the dumbass Sooner kid.

5 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'm just saying I think you're needlessly creating a strawman here. I don't think anyone here actually believes there's anything wrong with what Beard did. Especially in comparison to that bitch made shit Juwon Howard just pulled.

Maybe you missed pages of Texas fans clutching pearls over the horror of Chris Beard putting a snot-nosed Sooner in his place, while said snot-nosed Sooner was trying to gain street cred via a situation that was totally unrelated to OU.

But, OK.

47 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I agree with all of this post except the part where you intimate that Texas is a blue blood in basketball.  We need to pull our heads out of our collective asses on that front.  Absent a couple of flashes, we're not a basketball powerhouse and never have been. 

What Beard did was on brand for him and shouldn't really surprise or bother anyone.  As evidenced by "2 Fat Girls" and "Bird Flipping Boomer" in yesterdays broadcast, we've got no leg up in the class department on anyone else, even Tech.  And bitching about it otherwise is an aggy thing to do anyway.  What Beard did was nothing.  Childish, perhaps, but he's an egomaniacal D1 coach.  It's a feature not a bug.

Whether Beard can change the very much non-blue blood history of the program remains to be seen, but watching that game yesterday wasn't pleasant.  The only players who kept us in the game were Shaka's players.  Beard clearly challenged the manhood of the team which resulted in some ridiculously over the top play in the first half.  His rough approach will run off a ton of players here just like it did at his last stop - but if he can find the right group of players who respond to asshole style coaching he will take a team to a championship.  He damn near did it at Tech with that recipe, and that's what we hired him to do.  For those upthread who think Beard is going to recruit high school kids and coach them up, you haven't paid much attention to college basketball and Beard in particular.  This will be a team of transfers every single year.  Beard churns rosters like no coach has even done before.  Maybe he'll change his tune now that he should have an easier time recruiting to Texas than he did in the past, but history doesn't indicate that will be the case, nor does the current college athletics landscape.

3 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I agree with all of this post except the part where you intimate that Texas is a blue blood in basketball. 

I didn't state that, or insinuate that, at all.  We are most definitely not a basketball blueblood.  Michigan is close, and certainly much closer.

8 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

My bad.  I misread/misinterpreted what you wrote.

I don't think I was as clear as I could have been, but at any rate, we agree.

I think it will be interesting to see if it plays out with Beard the way you suggest -- my way or the highway, lather, rinse, repeat.  It does kinda smack of Bobby Knight, on 11.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think I was as clear as I could have been, but at any rate, we agree.

I think it will be interesting to see if it plays out with Beard the way you suggest -- my way or the highway, lather, rinse, repeat.  It does kinda smack of Bobby Knight, on 11.

Bobby Knight, on 11? Wut? JK Simmons in Whiplash thinks Bobby Knight could tone it down a bit. I’ve been reading excerpts of the new biography coming out about Coach Krzyzewski, and the parts about the falling out between the two are fascinating. Mostly in terms of Coach Knight’s ego and relentless browbeating. 

Beard is an interesting mix of styles. He’s waaaaaaay more positive in his outlook than most people. Certainly than Bobby Knight. We’ll see how much players get churned out. Some churn in this day and age is probably competitively healthy. At some point, though, your best recruiters are the kids already on the roster. If there’s widespread discontent there, you’re probably not going to be able to recruit very well. 

I don’t see an issue with having a my way or the highway outlook. That’s basically program culture. The other side of that is having a loosy goosy culture, which I feel like we’ve just gone through 6 years of. I welcome this approach. Not sure which top coaches in college basketball approach it differently. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I might be wrong, but I don't think Knight had the roster churn and transfer reliance that @Samson's Wig implied Beard might employ.  Different era, to be sure, but plenty of guys stuck around to be brow-beaten by BK.

Uh, you can't just dismiss the different era part. Even with the different era, it's remarkable how many talented players chose to transfer rather than deal with Bobby Knight's legendary abuses. When someone of the talent of Larry Bird transfers one month into his college career with Chris Beard, we can talk. But he's not the only one. There's a list of highly recruited players who went on to productive college careers who couldn't abide by Knight's methods. This in a time where you had to sit out a year, and transferring was considered more of the red flag of a quitter. Not to mention that for in state kids, Indiana basketball held a hallowed position.

In any case, this isn't about saying what will or won't happen under Beard. This is just to say that whatever methods Beard employs, to imply they will be at a level of intensity higher than Bobby Knight - an 11 - is silly. Bobby Knight felt like Bear Bryant was soft on his players at Junction.

*I* don't think Beard will be that ruthless.  I was responding to the implied hypothetical.

I mean, I was in HS when Bird played Magic in the title game.  That was peak college basketball and we were all dialed in, even as local fans of Norm Stewart and The Perpetually Underacheiving Tigers of Missouri.

Edited by jimmyjazz

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

*I* don't think Beard will be that ruthless.  I was responding to the implied hypothetical.

I mean, I was in HS when Bird played Magic in the title game.  That was peak college basketball and we were all dialed in, even as local fans of Norm Stewart and The Perpetually Underacheiving Tigers of Missouri.

Well, you've been around long enough to know I can latch on to the tiniest of details. It isn't going to change, but that doesn't mean I can't apologize for it here. It's not that the conversation doesn't have merit. It's that implying Beard is going to be Bobby Knight turned up to a This is Spinal Tap 11 struck me wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Pretty sure Bird left IU not due to Knight but because he was overwhelmed by the Campus and just wasn’t ready for it.  

Yep. All of that is well documented. However, I still can’t help but feel like another coach goes out of his way to assist Bird with the adjustment. That’s simply not Knight’s way. It is, on the other hand, the kind of thing Beard tries to do. 

The point still stands. Trying to compare Beard’s style with Knight, saying that Beard is more…well…anything than Knight regarding intensity, doesn’t make sense to me. 

50 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Pretty sure Bird left IU not due to Knight but because he was overwhelmed by the Campus and just wasn’t ready for it.  

Yeah, Bird said town and campus was too big.  you could view it as an excuse given that the town is like 80,000 people total, but then you see how Bird was in the NBA, and even after, and you can totally see him freaking out from all the attention at that age.

i'd just like to say for the record that i've had this handle for over 30 years across multiple services, message boards, etc., have only changed it (modestly) in places where the username was already taken, and I've for damn sure posted far more embarrassing things to my own self than any of you twatwaffles, including Now This

so fuck y'all sock-using username-changing idiots who actually feel shame from time to time

there's a point here

point is, I think I'd know a thing or two about humiliating oneself and what to do when someone gets under your skin, after years of typing idiotic things on the intarwebz. And there is literally no better response than to take ownership of whatever they claim you are, notched up to infinity billion. 

And there's no worse response to it than to get all touchy and bitchy.

Here endeth the fuckin' lesson, ya fuckin dipshits