Trip to Waikiki

immamac

So far we have been having a great time. Last night we got in grabbed drinks at the hotel bar then went to Paia Fish Market and had the best calamari I’ve ever had and great Ono Cajun style wife had Mahi mahi sautéed in butter and lemon. 

This morning went to Hau Tree Lanai at Kaimana beach. Incredible brunch. 

25C69920-B421-4D5A-9487-AA3487331B0D.thumb.jpeg.8823165518a1f6f059423a357f4f8ed0.jpeg95211731-ECB2-4354-AA9F-23D526A58760.thumb.jpeg.ae4adcf0a25671993f98b433d3343c8b.jpeg
0445B408-462E-4973-BECB-0088C6B7CBB2.thumb.jpeg.1693406f3a3f9d60ee450edc80bd2cd2.jpeg

7D7A769F-A61D-4AE2-807D-5D04080632F0.thumb.jpeg.04bf4dfb4d7ab747a500c4f5c4a16042.jpeg66E4A816-40E4-4622-BCB9-1FC3E5FF19C4.thumb.jpeg.ef9ace39fe014113b52dd033c3eef4b0.jpeg

then walked up on the beach volleyball tourney, stopped at royal hawaiian Mai tai bar for a legendary mai tai and made it back to the pool at the ritz for their daily Hawaiian ice cream today it was caramel sea salt.

711BC230-3EA3-48D7-A3B6-F88FAC702054.thumb.jpeg.2ba3dd0ec49e277b7da63e79229364de.jpeg

Any tips for dinner? 
@honolulu horn let me know if you wanna get dinner or drinks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Dammit, not in Waikiki at the moment. Besides one Jesus on the island is plenty. 

If you're up for a local experience, head up to the Diamond Head Farmer's Market tomorrow morning. It's the best outdoor market on the south shore and has tons of great local food, breakfast, drinks, etc. 

Dinner at Side Street Inn (Kapahulu St) or Highway Inn (Ala Moana Blvd) are excellent upscale local food spots that always deliver. Make a reservation if you can or prepare to wait. Low budget but great take out Thai is at Bangkok Chef (multiple locations; King St is closest to Waikiki). Roy's in Waikiki has great seafood but the location in Hawaii Kai has much better views.  Burgers at Teddy's are massive; location on the Diamond Head side of Waikiki on Kapahulu. M by Jeremy Shigekane is some of the best food on the island but you'll pay a big price for it. Da Cove Bar on Montserrat has fantastic fresh ahi sandwiches and incredible açaí bowls. Wailoa Shave Ice is about a half-mile from Waikiki and has great local shave ice; make sure to get it Hawaiian style (ice cream on the bottom). Korean BBQ is something you should definitely experience while on island; Gen and New Shilawon are the best choices. 

Let me know if you want any tips for stuff to do, places to visit or avoid, etc. Waikiki is great but you'll want to get out and see more of Oahu. I see that the North Shore has 20+ foot waves today so you might want to prioritize that while the swell is still hitting. Ehukai Beach (Pipeline) will give the best views since the waves is close to the beach, but you'll wind up walking about a mile to get there if you arrive past 9 am. 

BTW, the park that you see past your infinity pool is where my son learned to ride his bike. Our spot is about two blocks from your hotel.  

A sample from the Diamond Head Farmer's Market, an action shot riding waves at Diamond Head, and a windward beach that is never crowded:

IMG_7256.thumb.JPG.ab9887739a0e009cf390641ec811d39f.JPG662501194_SurfingDiamondHead.thumb.jpg.cd41dcf56da1b189e6ac6d08e6c8add6.jpg

11-21 016 HI Waimanalo.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Touristy, but you've got to do the Diamond Head hike and sit in some of the WWII pill boxes.  Assume that Pearl Harbor is or has previously been on your agenda.

I've posted previously about how much fun my bride and I had in Honolulu's Chinatown for a mid-day dining adventure.  Walked around at the street markets and some restaurants and pointed at pictures of stuff that we (thought that we) wanted to eat.  Some was left un-eaten, but we had a fun afternoon!

Walked around the market with the wife and found a replacement wedding ring for mine that got caught in a garbage disposal. My wife said she would buy it no matter the cost - when we picked one it was $28 dollars lol. Old vs new 

IMG_20220225_193711.thumb.jpg.8fb4dab66ce96cda7de05badc8ba52fa.jpg

Went to dinner at a place called Chef Chai under the recommendation of fresh caught fish with Asian flair that wasn't sushi. Got the whole fried fish over ginger Thai sauce. The server was impressed with how clean the bones were picked. 

IMG_20220225_205014.thumb.jpg.3ee78ca7e1d3cbaa97e6c23e2597ee0e.jpgIMG_20220225_211818.thumb.jpg.f28c12f3a0acb122550e66fa3bb5e372.jpg

Figuring out plans for today, but have gotten incredible advice/tips from @honolulu horn which I will be planning around. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1.  Get the fuck out of Waikiki.  

2.  Isn't this the time of year that the waves are non-existent on the North Shore?  If so, get yourselves up to Makaha and go snorkeling.

3.  Chiang Mai on King St was our favorite "regular" restaurant.

4.  Go to Makapu'u Beach Park.

5.  Go hike Koko Crater -- it's better than Diamond Head.

6.  You know what's better than Pearl Harbor?  The National Cemetary of the Pacific in Punchbowl Crater.

7.  Go see my old house at 1174 Lunalilo Home Road and see if I left anything.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

1.  Get the fuck out of Waikiki.  

2.  Isn't this the time of year that the waves are non-existent on the North Shore?  If so, get yourselves up to Makaha and go snorkeling.

3.  Chiang Mai on King St was our favorite "regular" restaurant.

4.  Go to Makapu'u Beach Park.

5.  Go hike Koko Crater -- it's better than Diamond Head.

6.  You know what's better than Pearl Harbor?  The National Cemetary of the Pacific in Punchbowl Crater.

7.  Go see my old house at 1174 Lunalilo Home Road and see if I left anything.  

Apparently it's 15+ to 20 footers right now on north shore. 

Dope aloha shirt BTW. 

Enjoy your time outside of Waikiki. I agree with Beau Vine -- you'll dig the rest of Oahu. Traffic will make you want to kill yourself, but you'll probably see a rainbow along the way so it's not all terrible. If you decide to cross over the pali (cliffs) on your travels, each highway is cool but the H3 is jaw-dropping and the Pali highway from Kailua has a decent lookout spot and a few spots to pull off and hike along the Nu'uanu valley streams and pools (just look for lots of cars parked). Don't leave anything valuable in your car if you park anywhere along the Pali Hwy though as it's known for smash and grabs. 

Also forgot to mention Liliha Bakery for cream puffs and Leonard's for malasadas. Line for Leonard's is sometimes stupid though. If you're driving past the location on Kapahulu and the line doesn't go too far out the door it's worth stopping. 

Diamond Head and Koko Head are both decent hikes but they are full sun and mostly straight up and down. From your base in Waikiki I'd either hit Manoa Falls (shaded, waterfall, get there before 9 for parking), Makapu'u lighthouse (full sun, not as steep, oceanside), or the Maunawili trail (very small pullout parking area on the Kaneohe-bound Likelike Highway, shaded, tropical, breezy, great views, don't leave anything in the car). Manoa and Maunawili offer your classic Hawaii jungle-esque experience. There's a cool spur trail off the Manoa Falls trail that takes you an hour up the pali but if it's been rainy at all it will get crazy muddy. Still the payoff is pretty great:

276699266_11-21014HINuuanuValley.thumb.JPG.c10eb3f187def1485e35a86a475a4eb8.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, immamac said:

Walked around the market with the wife and found a replacement wedding ring for mine that got caught in a garbage disposal. My wife said she would buy it no matter the cost - when we picked one it was $28 dollars lol. Old vs new 

Went to dinner at a place called Chef Chai under the recommendation of fresh caught fish with Asian flair that wasn't sushi. Got the whole fried fish over ginger Thai sauce. The server was impressed with how clean the bones were picked. 

IMG_20220225_205014.thumb.jpg.3ee78ca7e1d3cbaa97e6c23e2597ee0e.jpg

Figuring out plans for today, but have gotten incredible advice/tips from @honolulu horn which I will be planning around. 

looks ultra legit

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

Cindy also went to the hooker bar in Jaco with a friend of mine (during the day) while I was out fishing earlier this week. She enjoyed talking to the working girls, said it was nice and fun.

Immamac needs to head to the area surrounding the Long's Drugs and the funeral parlor near Chinatown to check out the Honolulu hookers. it will be convenient because while he's in the area he can just make arrangements at the funeral home for his own service. 

Went to the farmers market at diamond head and got some fresh fruit and some other good food. Then rented a car on Turo because HUI the local car share was completely wiped out. 

Drove to the north shore and went to a few beaches. Pipeline was crazy and the waves were enormous. 

IMG_0350.thumb.JPG.7c5942258a04113190168922348d15fa.JPG

Then sent to a shrimp truck called Romy's and had some boiled and fried shrimp and their pineapple covered in spicy stuff and it was delicious. 

The drive was pretty up until this point, but turned into an incredible scenic journey from here. Mountains, jungle, ocean, beaches it was cool to drive by all of that in the span of a few hours. 

Went to lanikai beach outside of Kailua at sunset and hung out and walked the beach. Drove back into Honolulu and ate a prime rib Moco and a Hawaiian style poke bowl for dinner. While the wife ordered from room service and had a pretty tasty looking burger. 

Hard to get debaucherous with a pregnant travel partner. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

14 minutes ago, immamac said:

Ok getting trashed tomorrow night. Recommendations needed. Nothing except off the table. I won’t be fucking a hooker, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be involved in some way. 

Animated GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, immamac said:

Went to the farmers market at diamond head and got some fresh fruit and some other good food. Then rented a car on Turo because HUI the local car share was completely wiped out. 

Drove to the north shore and went to a few beaches. Pipeline was crazy and the waves were enormous. 

IMG_0350.thumb.JPG.7c5942258a04113190168922348d15fa.JPG

Then sent to a shrimp truck called Romy's and had some boiled and fried shrimp and their pineapple covered in spicy stuff and it was delicious. 

The drive was pretty up until this point, but turned into an incredible scenic journey from here. Mountains, jungle, ocean, beaches it was cool to drive by all of that in the span of a few hours. 

Went to lanikai beach outside of Kailua at sunset and hung out and walked the beach. Drove back into Honolulu and ate a prime rib Moco and a Hawaiian style poke bowl for dinner. While the wife ordered from room service and had a pretty tasty looking burger. 

That sounds like a pretty badass day. And that drive back down Kamehameha Hwy from Sunset Beach to Kailua is a memorable one. Glad you had a cool day. 

7 hours ago, immamac said:

Exceedingly difficult to find. 

Yes it is.  Even harder to find on Kawaii.  It seams like everyone wants to go to bed at 9pm.  I've been to the Hawaiian Islands 6 times.  It's beautiful and boring.  

One of my least favorite things was this woman at a Luau.  She was kind of in front of me, and she was using TWO phones to record a fire dancer.  She got horrible recordings, missed the show, and distracted me into a hateful mood.  

Scuba at the Four Seasons was legit though.  My scuba guide was named Blaze.

37 minutes ago, Elvis said:

Yes it is.  Even harder to find on Kawaii.  It seams like everyone wants to go to bed at 9pm.  I've been to the Hawaiian Islands 6 times.  It's beautiful and boring.  

People who live in Hawai'i tend to wake up really early if their jobs have any contact with the mainland.  I knew a guy who was a stock broker there, and he'd have to wake up every morning for the market opening.

49 minutes ago, immamac said:

Seriously streets rolled up at 10. Couldn't find trouble even looking for it and I'm not gonna go to the titty bar as the only option for trouble. If trouble took me there then so be it. 

There are some really, uh...interesting strip joints in the Kalihi area.

2 hours ago, Elvis said:

One of my least favorite things was this woman at a Luau.  She was kind of in front of me, and she was using TWO phones to record a fire dancer.  She got horrible recordings, missed the show, and distracted me into a hateful mood.  

Scuba at the Four Seasons was legit though.  My scuba guide was named Blaze.

Sounds like Santa Fe. Everything was closed by the time we got back from hiking. Shit closes early. 

23 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Sounds like Santa Fe. Everything was closed by the time we got back from hiking. Shit closes early. 

I’ve partied hard in Santa Fe. This is not like that. I couldn’t even find a party bar online on forums or anything. The Irish pub we went to was the most sober pub I’ve ever seen. 

• immamac changed the title to Trip to Waikiki