90s to 10's country music star

closetohumping

33 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

. . . there's the "not get thrown out of a true country bar" part of the discussion, too.

Yeah.  I see a lot of people posting what I consider to be pretty good 90s country music, but some of it would still get you kicked out of a true country bar.

In addition to many listed already, I also liked some early Doug Stone.

• Hook 'Em 2

I have been to plenty of true country bars and they play the same fucking garbage in those joints as they do anywhere else.

I mean Achy Breaky Heart might get people asking questions and looking for somebody's ass to kick, but not much more than that.

Also, Sammy Kershaw's "Third Rate Romance" is just a cover. Put some respeck on the Amazing Rhythm Aces 

The correct answer to the posted question is Brooks & Dunn; as per Scraps

That said, Alan Jackson is probably next on the list and honestly a pretty strong case can be made for Tim McGraw as well.

I would also add both Clay Walker & Tracy Lawrence to the “honorable mention” list as far as capturing the quintessential “90s country” sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2

jimmy don’t read well. 

This is the era of country music that I grew up with and even then the olds hated most of the stars.  Name a country music star, from that error, that you can play their music in a true country bar, in the south, and not get thrown over the Florida-Georgia Line?

Kelly Willis is fucking laughable. Typical jimmy. 

She is 1000% not a country music star from the OP. 

This is the era of country music that I grew up with and even then the olds hated most of the stars.  Name a country music star, from that error

I can’t help his typo. 

jimmy, you will forever be the guy that told me to drive drunk & kill someone because you got your panties hurt. That is specifically why I fucking despise you. 

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Did I miss mention of Vince gill?

Was able to see Vince in a small theater right before Covid. I grew up in the 90s, so I was well-aware of his songs, and in the last few years have appreciated his guitar skill. 
Until I saw him perform in such a small venue, I had no idea of his sense of humor. He’s very, very funny. Reminded me of Mel Tillis. Except Vince can talk. 

3 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Was able to see Vince in a small theater right before Covid. I grew up in the 90s, so I was well-aware of his songs, and in the last few years have appreciated his guitar skill. 
Until I saw him perform in such a small venue, I had no idea of his sense of humor. He’s very, very funny. Reminded me of Mel Tillis. Except Vince can talk. 

I think I remember an interview with Lewis black where he talked about doing some event and going on after Vince. Said Vince was hilarious and clean, and he felt like a schmuck going out after him with his angry yelling cussing Jew routine. 

I’ve been listening to a Chris Ledoux station on Amazon music, it’s an awesome mix of cowboy music, 90s hits, and red dirt. Lots of the songs here are in rotation on it. 

Just an FYI. 

For the OP how about some Confederate Railroad. Have a few tear jerkers and up beat honky tonks for the mix. 

14 minutes ago, Archer said:

I’ve been listening to a Chris Ledoux station on Amazon music, it’s an awesome mix of cowboy music, 90s hits, and red dirt. Lots of the songs here are in rotation on it. 

Just an FYI. 

For the OP how about some Confederate Railroad. Have a few tear jerkers and up beat honky tonks for the mix. 

Worn out tape of Chris Ledoux, lonely women......

On 2/28/2022 at 8:51 AM, closetohumping said:

This is the era of country music that I grew up with and even then the olds hated most of the stars.  Name a country music star, from that error, that you can play their music in a true country bar, in the south, and not get thrown over the Florida-Georgia Line?

Alan Jackson

Colin Raye?

Clint Black?

George Strait does not count.  He was a star well before the 90's. As a now old, I think country music gets worse every year.

I was just talking to the wife about this the other day and said I think Colin Raye might be one of the most underrated country artists of all time. I love his songs.  I've never met anyone who is like-  I hate Colin Raye- most people will say- yeah- I really like him- he's good.  He's had a lot of hits, made some money, most of his stuff still sounds good. Probably better on ballads but his up tempo stuff is fun and catchy. He just never really made it really big. Just a solid 3rd tier type guy from that era, and I feel like he should at least be considered a second tier guy. 

I'd go with Tier 1 something like - Garth, Straight and Tim Mcgraw (This tier to me is the absolute super stars- sell out stadium tours, fans shit their pants and drive from 4 hours away to see them- and talk about going to one of their concerts for the rest of their lives)

Tier 2 I'd put at a level like Alan Jackson (he's close to tier 1- maybe he should be), Faith Hill, Reba (she's probably close to tier 1), Brooks and Dunn, Shania when she had her fastball, Clint Black, Dixie Chicks etc.  Vince Gill is probably in this tier but I do despise him.  (They easily sell out arena's, but they usually go on tour with someone else). Lots of #1 hits.  Almost anything they release is going to debut on the chart.  

Tier 3 is where I think Colin Raye fits in. He's probably considered a step below the people on the tier right above, and probably on par with Tracy Byrd, Tracy Lawrence, a band like Lonestar, Lee Ann Womack, Lee Ann Rhimes.  Maybe a guy like Mark Chestnut- but he might be a tier 4 guy.  This tier I consider people good enough to have a true Greatest Hits type album (back when albums were a thing) that probably has 4-8 songs that got to #1 or close and 15-20 songs that are absolutely recognizable by anyone who listened to country music at that time.  

Tier 4 is guys where they open for tier 3, or play smaller venues.  You go and are like- oh- I forgot he sang that- that's pretty good.  Or, they have a couple hits that are pretty big and dine out on that for life.  I'm thinking something like Doug Supernaw.  Chely Wright.  Jessica Andrews. Bryan White

Tier 5 would be guys like Chad Brock or someone like that. They've had songs on the radio. You'd recognize a half dozen of them. But none that have ever broken out as a really big hit and you couldn't go 10 deep and sing every word to every song nor 20 deep and have heard and recognize all their songs. 

I think those 3 guys all definitely qualify. I don't know that I've ever heard anyone talk shit about them and playing any of that stuff wouldn't get you kicked out of a country bar.  There's probably a couple Colin Raye songs from his ballads that might cause a funny look if you played them in a juke box but that's just because he can get heavy and slow and a little sappy and that's a weird vibe for a country bar. I'm thinking of a song like "I think about you" or "If I were you... I'd fall in love with me".

• Hook 'Em 1