(21) Texas at (6) Kansas at 3pm on ESPN.

SDG

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

These loose ball fouls are fucking terrible. Anyone in the NBA would get ejected if you called that on them. 

The last few possessions have been unreal call and no call wise 

god damn Carr has grown into a badass this year 

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, somebody tell me, even though we're not a very athletic team, why do we not push the fast break when it clearly presents?

That’s my biggest frustration with this team. Especially when you’re struggling in halfcourt offense and go on those 5 min scoring droughts. Go and get something quick

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

OK, somebody tell me, even though we're not a very athletic team, why do we not push the fast break when it clearly presents?

My guess is that Beard emphasizes efficient half court sets, and transition defense. I'm with you, but you'll notice we rarely attempt any shots early in the shot clock, transition or otherwise. Also, teams that emphasize the fast break in some way are usually not that good in transition defense. There's a tradeoff involved there. 

If you don't emphasize the fast break, and get those reps in, players get hesitant when they have an opportunity. 

That's my theory, anyway. 

It frustrates me, too.

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

The game is easy when you can consistently make your shots.

Exactly. Beards offense isn’t “boring”. It produces great shot selection and the issue has been we have some shitty streaky shooters on this team. Once we get some guys that can shoot we will be very tough to beat.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SL Xpress said:

My guess is that Beard emphasizes efficient half court sets, and transition defense. I'm with you,

I think there has to be a certain amount of strategy drilled in, though.  I do this with my kid, who is a pretty high level HS athlete -- "hey, when this happens, know in your head what you're going to do, you have to go through the scenarios even if you haven't seen them".

Example:  he was about to do his final long jump in a meet last week, and some dumbass kid walked onto the runway.  Had I gotten that scenario burned into his brain, my son would have waved off his approach, told the judge "fuck no", taken 30 seconds, and regrouped.  Instead, he just did his jump . . . and scratched.

If the fast break is on, go for it.  Regardless of coaching "philosophy".

I'll stop writing now.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think there has to be a certain amount of strategy drilled in, though.  I do this with my kid, who is a pretty high level HS athlete -- "hey, when this happens, know in your head what you're going to do, you have to go through the scenarios even if you haven't seen them".

Example:  he was about to do his final long jump in a meet last week, and some dumbass kid walked onto the runway.  Had I gotten that scenario burned into his brain, my son would have waved off his approach, told the judge "fuck no", taken 30 seconds, and regrouped.  Instead, he just did his jump . . . and scratched.

If the fast break is on, go for it.  Regardless of coaching "philosophy".

I'll stop writing now.

Yeah, I'm just doing my best, man.