Texas vs Texas State, midweek series thread, March 8th & 9th

TrashMaster G

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

We have 34 walks in 108 innings before tonight. We had 10 total walks in 3 games in Houston. Throwing strikes hasn’t been a problem until tonight.

”endemic”. JFC

I mean, reading comprehension. I specifically said relief pitchers. 8 of those 10 walks this week were relief pitchers in 10 innings. LSU stranded 12 runners, Tennessee 8.

Regardless, glad we are winning. I think it says a lot about the talent level. Hopefully we can straighten it out come conference play.

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I swear most games in San Marcos are like this. They probably should beat us but somehow someway we win and it’s always in heartbreaking fashion for them. It’s hilarious 

I mean I don’t blame them as far as being hyped up. Biggest crowd they will play in front of probably all season, Texas is the #1 team in the country, I expect their best effort. That being said if you run your mouth and come at the king, you best not miss. Especially when we play like ass.

Texas State can go sit the fuck down. This ain’t Arizona

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, SomeoneYouKnow2 said:

I mean, reading comprehension. I specifically said relief pitchers. 8 of those 10 walks this week were relief pitchers in 10 innings. LSU stranded 12 runners, Tennessee 8.

Regardless, glad we are winning. I think it says a lot about the talent level. Hopefully we can straighten it out come conference play.

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

For reference our bullpen (everyone but Witt, Duplantier, Hansen, Stevens) has pitched 61 innings and surrender 20 walks before tonight 

9 minutes ago, SomeoneYouKnow2 said:

Yes? And we had an issue with our relief pitchers throwing strikes. Not sure what's so controversial about that. Literally just wondering if it is some sort of coaching point that we are focused on because it seems endemic.

Well, really only against UCLA when the pitching got stretched a little thin by not getting 5 or 6 from Witt.

But, yeah, some of the "dregs" of our pen are a little suspect at the moment.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, cochamps said:

I guess that’s what counts.  It doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence moving forward though.

Nixon was brilliant all last year. That is what should inspire confidence. Obviously he can't do this often and remain the closer but I don't see that happening.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

We have 34 walks in 108 innings before tonight. We had 10 total walks in 3 games in Houston. Throwing strikes hasn’t been a problem until tonight.

”endemic”. JFC

And threw 2 dudes who probably aren’t going to pitch much if at all come conference and tournament time 

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Well, really only against UCLA when the pitching got stretched a little thin by not getting 5 or 6 from Witt.

But, yeah, some of the "dregs" of our pen are a little suspect at the moment.

I mentioned in one of the game threads this weekend that I really do like the early season strategy of letting these pitchers get themselves out of these jams. I'm glad Pierce left in Duplantier even through the next inning instead of yanking him in after the GS. These games pale in importance to the conference / late season games, so getting that experience in now will be great.

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

We have 34 walks in 108 innings before tonight. We had 10 total walks in 3 games in Houston. Throwing strikes hasn’t been a problem until tonight

Texas had 3walks, 2 HBP, and were behind in the counts most of the game vs UCLA -- that was a terrible outting for the pitchers on Sunday in H-town.  

If Witt doesn't return and Nixon continues to struggle with his control, Texas has to improve their middle relief guys.  Glad Pierce continues to put more pitchers in stress situations -- pitching depth needs the work.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Nixon was brilliant all last year. That is what should inspire confidence. Obviously he can't do this often and remain the closer but I don't see that happening.

That’s my hope too.  He needs to figure out how to get ahead of hitters again.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas had 3walks, 2 HBP, and were behind in the counts most of the game vs UCLA -- that was a terrible outting for the pitchers on Sunday in H-town.  

If Witt doesn't return and Nixon continues to struggle with his control, Texas has to improve their middle relief guys.  Glad Pierce continues to put more pitchers in stress situations -- pitching depth needs the work.  

Yea and look who pitched. A bunch of guys that wont

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I guess he can walk as many as he wants as long as no one scores. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Christ seriously we’re 13 games into the year. Can we win the conference and get the number 1 overall seed before talking which other teams are going to be hosting and what poor son of a bitch is gonna be matched with us in the supers?

Well we can’t hit and have no relief pitching so obviously we won’t be hosting

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, cochamps said:

That’s my hope too.  He needs to figure out how to get ahead of hitters again.

Did he go more than one inning much last year?  I was trying to remember during one of the games this weekend, but couldn't.

Maybe that whole quick warmup and rest between innings kind of fux with him?  Closers can be weird that way.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Was there some "development" on Witt since Sunday? Or are we guessing he's hurt fairly seriously?  I guess I haven't been paying attention.

Yeah, what is all this about Witt maybe not returning? I thought he was just a little sore? 

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Did he go more than one inning much last year?  I was trying to remember during one of the games this weekend, but couldn't.

Maybe that whole quick warmup and rest between innings kind of fux with him?  Closers can be weird that way.

That's something I was wondering too. Maybe I've been hallucinating all the games this season (hobbes would say so...), but I feel as though he's been called on in the 8th a few times already. It would be nice to get to the 9th reliably and then hand him the ball.

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Lots still up in the air with this team. Right field, Witt’s arm, set-up guy, 3B production, DH is Stehly becomes a position guy.  Campbell seems like a BP hitter.  Need a couple more bats to step forward.  

Luke is only a freshman but has shown lots of promise already. I bet he gets a solid look this weekend—he could turn into a big arm for us out of the pen. we still have some arms that haven’t got a ton of action but still could turn out to be helpful. It took most of non-conf for Pierce to figure out his bullpen guys. 
For the lineup, if Messinger doesn’t pick it up and Campbell can’t shake it then our 9 gets thin. Thank god for Stehly being a weapon that he is. Literally can play any position in the infield plus left or right if needed too. 

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I seem to remember him doing 8 and 9 on a few occasions. 

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Wait wut? I haven’t seen anything about him not returning? Only reporting I’ve seen was that there was no structural problem

I'm just going by people in this thread. I was wondering if I missed something. His family said he was just sore on Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, SomeoneYouKnow2 said:

That's something I was wondering too. Maybe I've been hallucinating all the games this season (hobbes would say so...), but I feel as though he's been called on in the 8th a few times already. It would be nice to get to the 9th reliably and then hand him the ball.

Actually just looked - 3 out of 6 appearances have started in the 8th, and 5 of his 7 walks (and one WP) have occurred in those 3 appearances. Maybe small sample size for now.

Edited by SomeoneYouKnow2
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Lots still up in the air with this team. Right field, Witt’s arm, set-up guy, 3B production, DH is Stehly becomes a position guy.  Campbell seems like a BP hitter.  Need a couple more bats to step forward.  

Really need Messenger to step up both his fielding and hitting -- he's experienced so hoping as season progresses he gets right.  

Not sure what to expect out of Campbell this season.-- he just hasn't settled in yet.  If Daly could get right, he was productive offensively last year.  

With Todd out, who on the bench might be able to provide some offensive production  ??

5 minutes ago, SomeoneYouKnow2 said:

Actually just looked - 3 out of 6 appearances have started in the 8th, and 5 of his 7 walks (and one WP) have occurred in those 3 appearances. Maybe small sample size for now.

That is worth noting even if small sample size.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Damn.  Lil cocky there from Nix with the byebye wave considering he walked three and threw so goddamn many balls.

38 minutes ago, ztejas said:

God that was disrespectful. Would have preferred he didn't walk the fucking bases loaded but a save is a save.

37 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Kinda bush.

36 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Someone must have really been talking shit. 

36 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Was that towards the student section? 

35 minutes ago, Terry Silver said:

I think it was 

34 minutes ago, Terry Silver said:

The students were rowdy between home plate and the dugout 

I was in row 2 between 3rd and home and it was an epic level of shittalk by the bobcats, they deserved it. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah if there’s one thing you can count on with Nixon is he’ll pound the zone. He just didn’t quite have it tonight and maybe the first big atmosphere fucked with him a tad bit 

Said it earlier but man I’m loving our schedule thus far. We’ve slaughtered a couple teams but man 2 of the 3 bama games, one of the corpus games, the tournament last weekend and now tonight have all been good, hard fought competitive games. Bama, LSU, Tennessee, UCLA, Texas state and maybe Sam Houston are tournament teams. We get a 3 game set against South Carolina. Looking at their schedule, they’ve gotten off to a slow start. But they’re normally pretty damn good so who knows

We’ve been tested in like every way possible. We’re gonna be ready for conference play and the tournament. This team just knows how to win 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Some of us just feel like over the years precautionary test due to a sore elbow regularly turns into TJ surgery, and are ready for that possibility. 

Now you shut your damn mouth with that kind of talk! We lose Witt and suddenly the whole season outlook changes.

• Rage+1 1