Texas vs Purdue - Sunday, 7:40pm on TNT

shadow_operative

The broadcasters and Steratore confirmed what I saw live and on replays: off Bishop’s hand. Then the question of him being out of bounds was raised. Either way it was their ball, 100%. 

Good to know you’re officiating god. Sounds like I should come to you with all questions on the topic.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jinx said:

I agree completely. I bought into all the hype with the portal guys. And I will say they are all good basketball players but none are elite athletes. This team is one of the least talented Texas teams in 2 decades in my opinion. But damn they play hard and never quit.

Our guards are really unathletic. Ramey has the most athleticism but isn’t a particularly skilled player. We have no height. None. Bishop is a guy that is very athletic but he’s not a skilled player either. He gave effort tonight defensively but Williams worked him. That was the difference in the game because we had a good plan with Edey and Ivey and neutralized them effectively. 

3 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Whether it was our plan or not, Beard doesn’t seem amused

That's complete bullshit.  The Horns were no more aggressive than Purdue.  There's no fucking reason whatsoever that a team should shoot three times more free throws!  ('d say four times more free throws, but our no-shooting shitheads missed the front end of 1-and-1 at least four times.)

Edited by Burt

11 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Somebody needs to explain to me like I’m fuckin 5 yrs old how this is not a charge. Just because the refs are inconsistent about it doesn’t make it any less egregious. 

They can't because it was a charge. Marcus was in a legal guarding position and set with his feet on the ground, well in advance of the passer getting there.  It wasn't even close to being anything but a charge.  Don't let a few people dismiss the most obvious charge in the world because they think charges are overrated or because the ball was passed up just before contact.

Edited by OU Sucks

Just now, Burt said:

That's complete bullshit.  The Horns were no more aggressive than Purdue.  There's no fucking reason whatsoever that a team should shoot three times more free throws!  ('d say four times more free throws, but our no-shooting shitheads missed the front end of 1-and-1 at least four times.

Purdue missed 2 front ends also.

10 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Somebody needs to explain to me like I’m fuckin 5 yrs old how this is not a charge. Just because the refs are inconsistent about it doesn’t make it any less egregious. 

I think part of it is their perception that the Purdue player was no longer a "dribbler".  In slow motion, that's a possible conclusion.  In real time, he charged the hell out of Carr.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

and using steratore as some kind of basketball officiating genius is stupid. he's a hack.

What?! The same guy that used an index card to measure a first down? How dare you. Lol… I still laugh at that moment but yeah talking head bullshit

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jinx said:

I agree completely. I bought into all the hype with the portal guys. And I will say they are all good basketball players but none are elite athletes. This team is one of the least talented Texas teams in 2 decades in my opinion. But damn they play hard and never quit.

I think I agree with what you're getting at, but I'd say we were one of the least *athletic*  -- not one of the least talented Texas teams.  In the past decade, we've had some freakish athletes who weren't necessarily great basketball players (Kerwin Roach comes to mind).  This year was maybe unusual in that we had a couple guys (Tim Allen and Tre Mitchell) who had good footwork and nice touch from inside 12-15 feet, but neither was especially athletic.

As long as we're debriefing the year, let's give some kudos to Ramey, who got a lot of (IMO, well-deserved) shit in the past for playing hero-ball and jacking contested 3's early in the shot clock... but the guy was just nails as a defensive stopper this year, and gave us a win against Kansas and damn nearly another one tonight by shutting down a lottery pick.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

nope it was Beard's plan and all a part of the strategy...

I like Beard and don’t know his motivation for the comment. If he’s truly pissed he needs to review his game plan (which was sound) and has his players’ deficiencies to blame. If he’s truly pissed he’s just wrong. 

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

and using steratore as some kind of basketball officiating genius is stupid. he's a hack.

Yeah he was only a D-1 ref for 20+ recent seasons. 

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

I like Beard and don’t know his motivation for the comment. If he’s truly pissed he needs to review his game plan (which was sound) and has his players’ deficiencies to blame. If he’s truly pissed he’s just wrong. 

maybe he's pissed and has a right to be.  he was closer to the game than you were.  like front row close.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I think I agree with what you're getting at, but I'd say we were one of the least *athletic*  -- not one of the least talented Texas teams.  In the past decade, we've had some freakish athletes who weren't necessarily great basketball players (Kerwin Roach comes to mind).  This year was maybe unusual in that we had a couple guys (Tim Allen and Tre Mitchell) who had good footwork and nice touch from inside 12-15 feet, but neither was especially athletic.

As long as we're debriefing the year, let's give some kudos to Ramey, who got a lot of (IMO, well-deserved) shit in the past for playing hero-ball and jacking contested 3's early in the shot clock... but the guy was just nails as a defensive stopper this year, and gave us a win against Kansas and damn nearly another one tonight by shutting down a lottery pick.

I honestly think as talent goes we were average. As athletes we were below average. Size wise, well below average. We won games on grit, defense, guard/forward rebounding, and occasional hot shooting. Most of that points to coaching. If Shaka had this team they’d be below .500. 

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

maybe he's pissed and has a right to be.  he was closer to the game than you were.  like front row close.

Without the benefit of replays. He’s wrong. 

Just now, Porterhouse said:

I honestly think as talent goes we were average. As athletes we were below average. Size wise, well below average. We won games on grit, defense, guard/forward rebounding, and occasional hot shooting. Most of that points to coaching. If Shaka had this team they’d be below .500. 

Spot on. This team was short on athleticism, explosion, the ability to play above the rim and much more. And it was small as well. There wasn't a single player on our team that struck fear in an opponent. 

And with all that we came fairly close, fairly, to a playing in the 2nd weekend. 

Nice season. 

1 minute ago, taybo20 said:

Regardless of your position on how good he was, just cause you do something for a long time doesn’t make you good haha

I’ve made no comment on his aptitude. He’s a guy trotted out on every CBS broadcast, football or basketball. People in the NCAA, NFL and a major broadcast company think he’s pretty competent. He confirmed what my eyes told me, and he was on TV, so I merely mentioned him. I only commented on his officiating career - in basketball - because it’s obvious dcar was oblivious. 

Just now, Porterhouse said:

I’ve made no comment on his aptitude. He’s a guy trotted out on every CBS broadcast, football or basketball. People in the NCAA, NFL and a major broadcast company think he’s pretty competent. He confirmed what my eyes told me, and he was on TV, so I merely mentioned him. I only commented on his officiating career - in basketball - because it’s obvious dcar was oblivious. 

no you think he knows what he's doing because he did it for a long time and his dad got him into the business.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

Without the benefit of replays. He’s wrong. 

I don't know your background, but if you haven't watched a shit-ton of sporting events, with a clear view, on the sideline (or better), then you just don't understand how vague a broadcast can be.  It's night and day.  Beard had a better view than Steretore.  And, he's rightfully biased.

• Hook 'Em 1

the team was talented if not athletic.  losing Mitchell hurt because we were limited on size.  Carr isn't a point guard but he played hard.

after watching them this year they probably did what they could a max.  Purdue was a bad matchup from the jump.  we beat Wisconsin by 15 or so if we get them.

Just now, dcar00 said:

no you think he knows what he's doing because he did it for a long time and his dad got him into the business.

Actually I rarely pay attention to him. Of the calls I pay attention to, I do think the bulk of his calls along with Pereira are spot on because they have the benefit of replay and rules application. I mentioned to him because he merely confirmed for me what was obvious. 

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know your background, but if you haven't watched a shit-ton of sporting events, with a clear view, on the sideline (or better), then you just don't understand how vague a broadcast can be.  It's night and day.  Beard had a better view than Steretore.  And, he's rightfully biased.

Of course. Yet, watching us hang all over the Mongol on the glass, hack the fuck out of him while he was shooting, including in the face, the broadcast was not at all vague. 

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the team was talented if not athletic.  losing Mitchell hurt because we were limited on size.  Carr isn't a point guard but he played hard.

after watching them this year they probably did what they could a max.  Purdue was a bad matchup from the jump.  we beat Wisconsin by 15 or so if we get them.

This team was not talented. For a Top 20 team, this team had a few 3rd scoring options, at best. We were the consummate team and won with defense and coaching. 

4 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Actually I rarely pay attention to him. Of the calls I pay attention to, I do think the bulk of his calls along with Pereira are spot on because they have the benefit of replay and rules application. I mentioned to him because he merely confirmed for me what was obvious. 

you are missing some epic entertainment...

This was a flawed team, but you play the hand your dealt. We were only going to go as far as our 3 pt shooting could take us, which it turns out was the second round. Not a huge surprise when they finished the season ranked 233rd in 3 pt %. 

Ol Wisconsin benefitted greatly from fouls and free throw attempts today too.

Maybe it’s a Big 10 toughness thing.

Thing of it is when you shoot only 12 free throws there are not a ton of poor/questionable calls going your way. Then when your opponent shoots 46, you aren’t getting a ton overlooked.

The non -call on the charge was big. The double team trap call on Jones was big. There were probably others not so big that potentially impacted our rotations or desired lineups because of the foul trouble.

We certainly didn’t get the best end of it. When the game is close, it’s impactful. It’s basketball. You just have to expect refs to play a part.

Just now, Had Enough said:

Ol Wisconsin benefitted greatly from fouls and free throw attempts today too.

Maybe it’s a Big 10 toughness thing.

Thing of it is when you shoot only 12 free throws there are not a ton of poor/questionable calls going your way. Then when your opponent shoots 46, you aren’t getting a ton overlooked.

The non -call on the charge was big. The double team trap call on Jones was big. There were probably others not so big that potentially impacted our rotations or desired lineups because of the foul trouble.

We certainly didn’t get the best end of it. When the game is close, it’s impactful. It’s basketball. You just have to expect refs to play a part.

the one bad call we got was when Jones tripped over Bishop.  

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Our best athlete (maybe 2nd best) is a fucking cancer survivor. A recent cancer survivor. 

agreed.  they were not athletic. some were talented and some were not.  talented doesn't mean a player has to play lockdown D, shoot the 3, have a great inside game, rebound like a madman, and dish out assists like Wayne Gretzky.

16 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

The last person to touch the ball had a lot of tattoos on their arm. If someone can find a video, I’ll walk y’all through the call. 

Yep. 

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Our best athlete (maybe 2nd best) is a fucking cancer survivor. A recent cancer survivor. 

Andrew Jones is not athletic relative to other top flight D-1 players. He was a prolific scorer in HS and a good college player. He didn’t take it to the hole nearly enough because of his limited quickness/athleticism. I wouldn’t put him in our top 5 athletes. 

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

The fact it was 74-71 before that turnover that wasn't speaks a ton about this team. We will be in the mix every season I am sure.

It should make it even easier for Beard to recruit into here either through the portal or HS.  In one season he's been able to wash out the "soft" label.   

I have enjoyed seeing Disu starting to come into his own during these past two games and hope to hell it continues.   That being said, I was very impressed and grateful for the steady improvement all year in Bishop's game.  

1 hour ago, SarksJuggs said:

White dude did it after hitting the 3 in the video above.

I think he was doing one of those 3 finger signs a lot of the shooters do after a 3, not a horns down.    

Edited by pyrohornIII

3 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Spot on. This team was short on athleticism, explosion, the ability to play above the rim and much more. And it was small as well. There wasn't a single player on our team that struck fear in an opponent. 

And with all that we came fairly close, fairly, to a playing in the 2nd weekend. 

Nice season. 

Honestly if this team wins against both KState and TCU they’re probably a #5 seed playing a #4 seed looking at how to figure out the same kind of issues against a #1 seed in the second weekend. The makeup of this team was always going to have a rough time with Purdue. 

I would also add shooting. Beard liked to talk about how good of a shooting team we were, but there wasn’t really an elite shooter on the entire roster. Febres should have feasted on all the open looks he got in this offense, but it never materialized. He gets someone who can legitimately shoot around 40% from the arc, he’ll be cooking with gas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

This was a flawed team, but you play the hand your dealt. We were only going to go as far as our 3 pt shooting could take us, which it turns out was the second round. Not a huge surprise when they finished the season ranked 233rd in 3 pt %. 

And it was a team in no small part assembled by Beard on the fly after he came here.

I look forward to what the future holds. It's been a while since we could say that. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Honestly, it isn't so much the athleticism as it is the size that did them in. I don't know how many of those fouls were on them trying to guard the post or directly related to them being out of position trying to guard the post, but it seems like that was the lions share. They just had no answer for Williams or Edey other than to foul them. Watching Timme kill them earlier in the season vs Gonzaga on post move after post move proved to be a preview of what we saw yesterday. 

Other than Ivey - and let's face it, he's a freak of nature / top 5 lottery athletic talent - Purdue isn't any more athletic than Texas. It was just a bad match up and it's really, really difficult to win a game when your best player can't throw it in the ocean from the beach and you spend 20% of the game going scoreless. It's a borderline miracle that the game was as close as it was. 

Beard is a great coach and a great tournament coach. The future is really, really bright with him in Austin. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Honestly, it isn't so much the athleticism as it is the size that did them in. I don't know how many of those fouls were on them trying to guard the post or directly related to them being out of position trying to guard the post, but it seems like that was the lions share. They just had no answer for Williams or Edey other than to foul them. Watching Timme kill them earlier in the season vs Gonzaga on post move after post move proved to be a preview of what we saw yesterday. 

Other than Ivey - and let's face it, he's a freak of nature / top 5 lottery athletic talent - Purdue isn't any more athletic than Texas. It was just a bad match up and it's really, really difficult to win a game when your best player can't throw it in the ocean from the beach and you spend 20% of the game going scoreless. It's a borderline miracle that the game was as close as it was. 

Beard is a great coach and a great tournament coach. The future is really, really bright with him in Austin. 

100% this.  This was a match-up nightmare. Our only hope was to hit a high percentage of 3's.

Edited by Mo Horn

Proud of the guys.  Stoked for the future.  I haven’t been this excited about Texas Basketball since the Houston Regional (gulp).

This was a terrible, terrible matchup.  Purdue knew we had no one to guard Edey and would do nothing but foul (or else he’d just score) and we aren’t consistent enough from the outside to stay in it—we go too cold too long, and it’s been that way basically all season. 

I have a feeling Beard has a plan when it comes to the portal.  Both basketball programs are in great hands, something I don’t think we’ve been able to say in 20 years (about them both at the same time).

• Hook 'Em 4

Texas is much more athletic than Purdue overall, except for Ivey and big Williams, but obviously much smalller.  Texas beat Purdue to contested balls and rebounds almost every time.  

Beard did a good job with this makeshift roster, last year was much more talented, so the future is good if we get some more size. Hope Andrew Jones returns.  

The real problem in the game aside from their size was the 20-0 run.  They figured out the offense with a stifling zone having 2-3 defenders on the ball no matter how we cut, screened or passed.  How many timeouts did Beard call?  I put that on Beard, just like football you have to adjust the Xs and Os which did not happen. Granted Texas missed a few makeable shots but even that was due to having a defender closeby, ie no open looks.  Texas also missed a lot of open looks towards the end of the game.

Overall this team beat expectations.  Good year. 

• Hook 'Em 1