Interesting map. Map of immigrant nationality

crash_davis

34 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah that makes sense. I am not that up to speed on the whole industry and just thought it was all Dow.

There are three plants.  Dow A and B.  And then BASF, which was formerly a joint venture between Dow and BASF called Dow Badische.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I am having a hard time believing it's India and not China for TX....I know there are lots of Indians and Houston, and quite a few in Austin, and maybe the most in Dallas, but the same goes for Chinese. And there are just as many small town Chinese restaurants as there are off-brand motels, so that's a wash. 

I guess one factor might be that lots of the ethnic Chinese in Houston are from Vietnam, so that waters down the number. Still, it just doesn't seem right. 

Here is an interesting read about how people consistently overestimate the size of minority groups in the US.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/03/15/americans-misestimate-small-subgroups-population

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Fort Bend Clements, Dulles, Austin, and Travis HS are all either majority or plurality Asian. Fort Bend ISD as a whole is wildly diverse. 77,000 students and African-Americans make up the largest single chunk of the student body at just 28%. 

https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/cgi/sas/broker?_service=marykay&_program=perfrept.perfmast.sas&_debug=0&ccyy=2021&lev=C&id=079907013&prgopt=reports%2Ftapr%2Fpaper_tapr.sas

Fort Bend County Judge was born in India 

31 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i don't see italy on that map

It's a map of the origin of foreign-born residents.  Not many people immigrate from Italy to the United States these days.  And those who immigrated during the large waves in the first part of the 20th Century are long-since dead.

If you want to look at ancestry, then you do see Italian pop up with some frequency in the areas you would expect:

What Is the Most Common Ancestry in Every US State?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Also jokes aside, a lot of Nazi officers who got wise to Mossad finding their colleagues in Argentina and Brazil in the 60's & 70's.  The U.S. took no official role, but a lot of those families (and keep in mind, many if not most started second families with local women)...lammed to the United States.  The gamble being if they could reconnect with German scientists and armament engineers in New Mexico at Sandia and Los Alamos...they could be bargained for to gain entry.  

Keep in mind this is only a matter of families numbering in the hundreds, but with total members in the thousands given the dual-families of some officers.  60 years later, that has to have grown to quite a few by law of extrapolation and procreation with the local population.  You'd be surprised how many New Mexico citizens you can meet in certain towns who are "half America, quarter German, quarter Brazilian."  Or so it was once explained to me by a Brazilian man.  Or was it my uncle?  I forget.

We hosted an Argentinian foreign exchange student my senior year of HS whose last name was Fernandez-Stahlschmidt.

46 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's a map of the origin of foreign-born residents.  Not many people immigrate from Italy to the United States these days.  And those who immigrated during the large waves in the first part of the 20th Century are long-since dead.

If you want to look at ancestry, then you do see Italian pop up with some frequency in the areas you would expect:

For "United States," read "Scots-Irish."

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

If you split Brazoria County in half on a north-south "axis," I bet Germans would be number 2 in the southern half because of Dow Chemical. For awhile there were rival German bierhauses across the street from each other in Lake Jackson. (One has since surrendered and become a British pub.)

Wurst Haus and what was the other?

15 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Pretty bizarre that the French left no mark of their passing through.  Must have had weak seed.  

With the exception that almost everything in nature you see still bears their name.  But yeah, they seemed to have shown up, killed the English, explored everything, and then left en masse leaving nothing behind but oral sex

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Pretty bizarre that the French left no mark of their passing through.  Must have had weak seed.  

In the early colonial era, the French were really more interested in trading with Indians than settling an entire continent. And other than Quebec and Canada's Maritime Provinces, they never really emigrated to the New World in large numbers, because they generally had favorable agricultural conditions in Europe.

Setting aside the brief stint at the beginning of the Second French Empire, they also generally had sound domestic governance. In other words, the necessary catalysts, such as starvation, poverty, suppression, persecution, etc., for causing people to leave were never really present. The Irish, Italians, Germans, and Eastern Europeans weren't so lucky and did have to send their huddled masses here.

Today, about a quarter of the population in upper New England are of French ancestry, but the vast majority of them immigrated from Quebec to work in the textile mills. And, of course, the English perpetrated a genocide on the French in the Maritime Provinces (Acadia) forcing them to relocate to Louisiana (Cajuns). I won't even get into why people of African American ancestry outnumber French descendants in Louisiana. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, bolverk said:

In the early colonial era, the French were really more interested in trading with Indians than settling an entire continent. And other than Quebec and Canada's Maritime Provinces, they never really emigrated to the New World in large numbers, because they generally had favorable agricultural conditions in Europe.

Setting aside the brief stint at the beginning of the Second French Empire, they also generally had sound domestic governance. In other words, the necessary catalysts, such as starvation, poverty, suppression, persecution, etc., for causing people to leave were never really present. The Irish, Italians, Germans, and Eastern Europeans weren't so lucky and did have to send their huddled masses here.

Today, about a quarter of the population in upper New England are of French ancestry, but the vast majority of them immigrated from Quebec to work in the textile mills. And, of course, the English perpetrated a genocide on the French in the Maritime Provinces (Acadia) forcing them to relocate to Louisiana (Cajuns). I won't even get into why people of African American ancestry outnumber French descendants in Louisiana. 

My post was sort of in jest, just like the Spanish (listed as Mexican), the map is confined to a certain timeline as it has to be.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Not according to Harvard.

Back in the day, we had a steady influx of Asian kids across the land bridge.   Then the European's pretty much wiped them out.  Now they are resettling.  History repeats itself ad infinitum ad nauseum ad not supported by this browser. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

On 3/22/2022 at 11:05 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

I am having a hard time believing it's India and not China for TX....I know there are lots of Indians and Houston, and quite a few in Austin, and maybe the most in Dallas, but the same goes for Chinese. And there are just as many small town Chinese restaurants as there are off-brand motels, so that's a wash. 

I guess one factor might be that lots of the ethnic Chinese in Houston are from Vietnam, so that waters down the number. Still, it just doesn't seem right. 

Pearland is home to one of only four ICC certified cricket grounds in the entire USA.  That doesn't happen without huge Indian immigration.

18 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Pearland is home to one of only four ICC certified cricket grounds in the entire USA.  That doesn't happen without huge Indian immigration.

This is true.  My friend was helping find a place for his parents and Pearland is the hot new spot for the Indian community now. 

22 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

They break down into East and South Asian...eastern FB county has a lot of spillover from Chinatown.

The guy who financed Sienna Plantation is a Chinese billionaire, and there’s a big Chinese Christian Church out there. 

It’s not just Hindu along Hwy 6. A lot of Pakis as well. 

There’s a Hindu temple right by Dulles High School that’s pretty crazy. It’s worth checking out if you’re in the area. They give tours, too, if you call ahead. 

The funniest thing is watching white flight try to go further and further west. 

On 3/22/2022 at 11:02 AM, Brisketexan said:

Pretty cool -- can vouch for Louisiana and Honduras.  At least back in the day, all the Hondurans entered the US through NOLA.  My childhood best friend was from such a family.  To this day, the bulk of his family in the US is in La.  Including a giant-ass bunch of them in......Monroe.  Monroe, La. is full of Hondurans.  It's the damndest thing.

Had sex with a Honduran.  She called me pappy, so this hits close to home.