Interesting map. Map of immigrant nationality

crash_davis

Pretty cool -- can vouch for Louisiana and Honduras.  At least back in the day, all the Hondurans entered the US through NOLA.  My childhood best friend was from such a family.  To this day, the bulk of his family in the US is in La.  Including a giant-ass bunch of them in......Monroe.  Monroe, La. is full of Hondurans.  It's the damndest thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am having a hard time believing it's India and not China for TX....I know there are lots of Indians and Houston, and quite a few in Austin, and maybe the most in Dallas, but the same goes for Chinese. And there are just as many small town Chinese restaurants as there are off-brand motels, so that's a wash. 

I guess one factor might be that lots of the ethnic Chinese in Houston are from Vietnam, so that waters down the number. Still, it just doesn't seem right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I am having a hard time believing it's India and not China for TX....I know there are lots of Indians and Houston, and quite a few in Austin, and maybe the most in Dallas, but the same goes for Chinese. And there are just as many small town Chinese restaurants as there are off-brand motels, so that's a wash. 

I guess one factor might be that lots of the ethnic Chinese in Houston are from Vietnam, so that waters down the number. Still, it just doesn't seem right. 

Spend a little time in the burbs north of Dallas.  I believe it.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Pretty cool -- can vouch for Louisiana and Honduras.  At least back in the day, all the Hondurans entered the US through NOLA.  My childhood best friend was from such a family.  To this day, the bulk of his family in the US is in La.  Including a giant-ass bunch of them in......Monroe.  Monroe, La. is full of Hondurans.  It's the damndest thing.

Goes back to the heyday of United Fruit and the original banana republics...It's wild. The OG United Fruit building is a crumbling pile in an even more than unusually derelict section of the CBD. I saw it and was like "There? That's the place all my Chomskyite history profs said was the root all American foreign policy evil?"

File:United Fruit Company.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Spend a little time in the burbs north of Dallas.  I believe it.

Same goes for SW Houston burbs like Sugar Land...I guess it makes sense. They have taken over whole planned communities and architects now have prefab plans for Indian houses. (Built for extended family, niches for Hindu idols, etc.) I think they have a plurality at one of the big Fort Bend high schools now, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

Ethiopians moved to a state that grows a lot of food.  Logic.

Yeah, I feel bad...but this was my first thought.  Oh, the state in our union that has the lowest percentage of acreage devoted to agriculture.  I guess there's a lotta livestock there, but still.  Couple other head scratchers on there, but most of them make sense...if even anecdotally on areas I know and visit.  

And Germans in New Mexico isn't because of Los Alamos.  It's because of Werner Ziegler and his large work crew.  But they left, so that map is probably inaccurate now.  

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think they have a plurality at one of the big Fort Bend high schools now, too. 

Only one?

I know they show a ton of Bollywood stuff at the megaplexes around there too.

19 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Same goes for SW Houston burbs like Sugar Land...I guess it makes sense. They have taken over whole planned communities and architects now have prefab plans for Indian houses. (Built for extended family, niches for Hindu idols, etc.) I think they have a plurality at one of the big Fort Bend high schools now, too. 

Sure seems that way in Cedar Park too.  Feels like they get their tech or medical jobs, then quickly move in grandpa/grandpa.  Pretty soon there’s a dozen pairs of shoes by the front door. 

Doesn’t bother me, I work with more Indians than other nationalities and have done two long work trips there…I asked my best friend (who is Indian 2nd gen) why half my Indian neighbors are friendly as can be while the others don’t even wave back.  Basically he said if the grandparents are living there, it’s ‘a whole other world inside’ and that made sense to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, WBT said:

Only one?

I know they show a ton of Bollywood stuff at the megaplexes around there too.

27 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Fort Bend Clements, Dulles, Austin, and Travis HS are all either majority or plurality Asian. Fort Bend ISD as a whole is wildly diverse. 77,000 students and African-Americans make up the largest single chunk of the student body at just 28%. 

https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/cgi/sas/broker?_service=marykay&_program=perfrept.perfmast.sas&_debug=0&ccyy=2021&lev=C&id=079907013&prgopt=reports%2Ftapr%2Fpaper_tapr.sas

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

We have a lot of hotels and 7-11s...

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Goes back to the heyday of United Fruit and the original banana republics...It's wild. The OG United Fruit building is a crumbling pile in an even more than unusually derelict section of the CBD. I saw it and was like "There? That's the place all my Chomskyite history profs said was the root all American foreign policy evil?"

File:United Fruit Company.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

It gets better than that. One of United Fruit Company's components was the Cuyamel Fruit Company, founded by Sam Zemurray, once of Eastern Europe, who was working in a grocery store in my hometown of Selma, Alabama in the early 1890s when some character came in extolling the virtues of the banana. I imagine it would have sounded like Foghorn Leghorn talking to Tevye. (Great-Grandaddy Canecutter would've been about the same age as Sam and later got into the grocery bidness himself, so I can imagine he was the unnamed banana prophet. Hey, at least a 1-in-10,000 chance.)

Young Sam first went downriver to Mobile to get into the banana trade, eventually expanding and acquiring land in Honduras. After that there were coups and mercenaries and machine guns and stuff, which I speculate would have happened anyway in Honduras even if the USA did not exist, but that's all I wanna say about tha-at.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Fort Bend Clements, Dulles, Austin, and Travis HS are all either majority or plurality Asian. Fort Bend ISD as a whole is wildly diverse. 77,000 students and African-Americans make up the largest single chunk of the student body at just 28%. 

https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/cgi/sas/broker?_service=marykay&_program=perfrept.perfmast.sas&_debug=0&ccyy=2021&lev=C&id=079907013&prgopt=reports%2Ftapr%2Fpaper_tapr.sas

They break down into East and South Asian...eastern FB county has a lot of spillover from Chinatown.

37 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I thought I recall seeing Anthony Bourdain or Guy Fieri say on one of their shows that the Minneapolis/St. Paul area has a large Somali community. 

Can confirm, also there’s a large Somali community in Lewiston, ME, home of the fighting  Bates Bobcats.

While DC has a lot of immigrant communities, including Vietnamese and Ethiopian, Central Americans seem to be the dominant group, particularly in MD and VA. 

Edited by Bateshorn

3 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

It gets better than that. One of United Fruit Company's components was the Cuyamel Fruit Company, founded by Sam Zemurray, once of Eastern Europe, who was working in a grocery store in my hometown of Selma, Alabama in the early 1890s when some character came in extolling the virtues of the banana. I imagine it would have sounded like Foghorn Leghorn talking to Tevye. (Great-Grandaddy Canecutter would've been about the same age as Sam and later got into the grocery bidness himself, so I can imagine he was the unnamed banana prophet. Hey, at least a 1-in-10,000 chance.)

Young Sam first went downriver to Mobile to get into the banana trade, eventually expanding and acquiring land in Honduras. After that there were coups and mercenaries and machine guns and stuff, which I speculate would have happened anyway in Honduras even if the USA did not exist, but that's all I wanna say about tha-at.

There's a theory that New Orleans music took off in the 1890s because of the "jazz cigarettes" that came in on the banana boats and found their way into the hands of people like Buddy Bolden....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Can confirm, also there’s a large Somali community in Lewiston, ME, home of the fighting  Bates Bobcats.

While DC has a lot of immigrant communities, including Vietnamese and Ethiopian, Central Americans seem to be the dominant group, particularly in MD and VA. 

Koreans in that area too

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

• The top countries of origin for immigrants were Mexico (51 percent of immigrants), India (6 percent), El Salvador (5 percent), Vietnam (4 percent), and Honduras (3 percent).

https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/immigrants-in-texas#:~:text=The top countries of origin,at least one immigrant parent.

I would suspect they also split the PRC and Taiwan for purposes of calculating this.  

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

lol at germany in NM.  i bet i can guess most common occupation.

losalamosgate.jpg

There is also a large Luftwaffe base in New Mexico.  I wonder if that's not the source of some of that immigration.

Also jokes aside, a lot of Nazi officers who got wise to Mossad finding their colleagues in Argentina and Brazil in the 60's & 70's.  The U.S. took no official role, but a lot of those families (and keep in mind, many if not most started second families with local women)...lammed to the United States.  The gamble being if they could reconnect with German scientists and armament engineers in New Mexico at Sandia and Los Alamos...they could be bargained for to gain entry.  

Keep in mind this is only a matter of families numbering in the hundreds, but with total members in the thousands given the dual-families of some officers.  60 years later, that has to have grown to quite a few by law of extrapolation and procreation with the local population.  You'd be surprised how many New Mexico citizens you can meet in certain towns who are "half America, quarter German, quarter Brazilian."  Or so it was once explained to me by a Brazilian man.  Or was it my uncle?  I forget.

There are also a lot of people from India in San Antonio but maybe a dozen from China.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:
  • The top countries of origin for immigrants were Mexico (51 percent of immigrants), India (6 percent), El Salvador (5 percent), Vietnam (4 percent), and Honduras (3 percent).

https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/immigrants-in-texas#:~:text=The top countries of origin,at least one immigrant parent.

Doesn't quite look like that in Houston, though I guess the Chinese seem more numerous because they are almost all in one (huge) area. As LL points out, Taiwanese are probably counted differently and others are Viet-Chinese. (Houston's Chinatown seems to run, east to west, Chinese-VietChinese-Viet). Add in tens of thousands of Filipinos who (to me at least) are hard to tell at a glance from South Chinese (no waicis) and I overestimate the number.

On the other hand there are lots of Pakistanis in Houston that led me to believe the Indian number might be smaller than it is. 

Man we have a lot of immigrants. It's surprising that Nigerians don't even make the top 5.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

If they're Asians in high school, pretty good chance they're not foreign born residents.  Ethnicity =/= citizenship.  Restrictions on Asian immigration were largely enforced from the 1920's to the 1960's so even those that came over after 1965 could  conceivably have descendants that are third generation by now.  Those that came over before 1924 are probably 5th or even 6th generation.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

I would suspect they also split the PRC and Taiwan for purposes of calculating this.  

There is also a large Luftwaffe base in New Mexico.  I wonder if that's not the source of some of that immigration.

If you split Brazoria County in half on a north-south "axis," I bet Germans would be number 2 in the southern half because of Dow Chemical. For awhile there were rival German bierhauses across the street from each other in Lake Jackson. (One has since surrendered and become a British pub.)

8 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Doesn't quite look like that in Houston, though I guess the Chinese seem more numerous because they are almost all in one (huge) area. As LL points out, Taiwanese are probably counted differently and others are Viet-Chinese. (Houston's Chinatown seems to run, east to west, Chinese-VietChinese-Viet). Add in tens of thousands of Filipinos who (to me at least) are hard to tell at a glance from South Chinese (no waicis) and I overestimate the number.

On the other hand there are lots of Pakistanis in Houston that led me to believe the Indian number might be smaller than it is. 

Man we have a lot of immigrants. It's surprising that Nigerians don't even make the top 5.

How can you tell which are foreign-born?

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

thought we beat those fuckers in the 40s

21 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

If you split Brazoria County in half on a north-south "axis," I bet Germans would be number 2 in the southern half because of Dow Chemical. For awhile there were rival German bierhauses across the street from each other in Lake Jackson. (One has since surrendered and become a British pub.)

You mean BASF, right?

i'm thinking a much higher percentage of recent chinese immigrants have returned to china after getting their degree here, whereas indians tend to stick here.  probably an opportunity thing: afaik there's a lot of people getting wealthy in china rn but not as many in india

Edited by elfenix