2022 Masters - The Return of Tiger

Jive Turkey

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah, so that tee is fine back there on a normal day. When it’s cold and the wind is howling play it as a 520 yard park 5 it’s always been. I think like 2 people went for the green on Thursday. That makes the golf less fun. Don’t do that. 

Its OK to have a par 5 they can't reach to give some importance to short wedge game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

15 is dead into the wind today

I know. So play the old tee. Same with Thursday. Wind never used to make the hole an auto lay up. 
fuck chip beck still for laying up there about 100 years ago. Back then it was unheard of and that was 100 years ago. They went too far. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I know. So play the old tee. Same with Thursday. Wind never used to make the hole an auto lay up. 
fuck chip beck still for laying up there about 100 years ago. Back then it was unheard of and that was 100 years ago. They went too far. 

Zach won the tournament laying up

Verne loves to restate the obvious in as slow and deep a voice as possible.  
He's already got two of the most memorable sound bites (Jack's eagle in '86, Tiger's chip in birdie at 16) in Masters history. He's desperately trying for one more, but he's lost it.

Hey, I'm sure if someone offered to pay me ridiculous money to sit in a tower at Augusta & add some commentary I'd be hesitant to give it up. But a man's gotta know his limitations.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Its OK to have a par 5 they can't reach to give some importance to short wedge game.

They have so many hard holes now and they e made 5, 10, 11 so much tougher. You have to have some risk reward. 8 has always been a home that’s almost never eagled but eagle being in play on 13 and 15 and double being in play on 12 and 11 and sometimes 17 or 18 is what gave that back 9 so much juice. 

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

He's already got two of the most memorable sound bites (Jack's eagle in '86, Tiger's chip in birdie at 16) in Masters history. He's desperately trying for one more, but he's lost it.

Hey, I'm sure if someone offered to pay me ridiculous money to sit in a tower at Augusta & add some commentary I'd be hesitant to give it up. But a man's gotta know his limitations.

Fuck that shit man- I’ve got a job that cool they are going to have to frog March me out by gunpoint or carry me in a body bag. I’m not giving that up. Same with Corso. Or any ball player. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

This is my third most memorable Verne soundbite

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Tiger drove it well but everything else was not too sharp. What did he end up with, five 3-putts (including the four-jack)?

His pitching was really good too. But yeah- scoring irons, chipping and putting weren’t good at all. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They have so many hard holes now and they e made 5, 10, 11 so much tougher. You have to have some risk reward. 8 has always been a home that’s almost never eagled but eagle being in play on 13 and 15 and double being in play on 12 and 11 and sometimes 17 or 18 is what gave that back 9 so much juice. 

eh, hard holes?  there are guys at -5, -7, -10 and that is in windy and tough conditions most of the 3 rounds.

its fine to have 15 be a 3 shot part 5 one day out of 4.  Scheff just got a shot on sssssharrrrl-ie because of it.

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

eh, hard holes?  there are guys at -5, -7, -10 and that is in windy and tough conditions most of the 3 rounds.

its fine to have 15 be a 3 shot part 5 one day out of 4.

This is the second day out of 3 so far that it’s been a 3 shot hole. This is also the first year with the new set up so who knows. 
These guys are at the absolute peak of their games coming in and there are 7 guys under par. It’s playing ridiculously hard. The masters has never been about protecting par, it’s been about proper positional golf where the holes are hard and daring and greatness when there is an opportunity. When you make 15 a 3 shot hole you more or less narrow the reasonable outcomes on that hole from 3-7 to 4-6. That’s fine. It’s just radically different than how that hole has ALWAYS played. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

This is the second day out of 3 so far that it’s been a 3 shot hole. This is also the first year with the new set up so who knows. 
These guys are at the absolute peak of their games coming in and there are 7 guys under par. It’s playing ridiculously hard. The masters has never been about protecting par, it’s been about proper positional golf where the holes are hard and daring and greatness when there is an opportunity. When you make 15 a 3 shot hole you more or less narrow the reasonable outcomes on that hole from 3-7 to 4-6. That’s fine. It’s just radically different than how that hole has ALWAYS played. 

Its a 3 shot hole because of the wind today.  Its a par 5.  sometimes it takes 3 shots to get there as Old Tom Morris intended.

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Its a 3 shot hole because of the wind today.  Its a par 5.  sometimes it takes 3 shots to get there as Old Tom Morris intended.

The hole is playing over par. Par 5’s shouldn’t do that. It was a 3 shot hole Thursday and most of Friday. I mean- they can make it play over par, I guess but it makes things less exiting. I’m not arguing it’s a crime against humanity or anything but look at all the great moments in the history of the tournament that happened on 15 because it was such a great risk/reward hole. That’s been missing this week. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

The hole is playing over par. Par 5’s shouldn’t do that. It was a 3 shot hole Thursday and most of Friday. I mean- they can make it play over par, I guess but it makes things less exiting. I’m not arguing it’s a crime against humanity or anything but look at all the great moments in the history of the tournament that happened on 15 because it was such a great risk/reward hole. That’s been missing this week. 
So they made an adjustment to try and maintain the historical vision of the hole (a superior shot will be rewarded; substandard will be punished). And they are desperately trying to get the next generation to have to land at least a mid iron into the green.

Mother nature didn't play according to plan. So what? The course is a living being. That's the rub of the green and the best golfers will adjust accordingly.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

So they made an adjustment to try and maintain the historical vision of the hole (a superior shot will be rewarded; substandard will be punished). And they are desperately trying to get the next generation to have to land at least a mid iron into the green.

Mother nature didn't play according to plan. So what? The course is a living being. That's the rub of the green and the best golfers will adjust accordingly.

yep. the best golfer on 15 might be need to be the best wedge player this week.

• Like 1