Austin -- We are losing this place

DalTxHornFan

i ate at zen somewhat frequently in college because it was cheap and relatively healthy. it was never very good but it was a break from cheeseburgers and taco cabana. never had the sushi, just the rice bowls. 

1 hour ago, ftf82 said:

I got nothing to add to this except the first time my Mom came to visit me after I moved to Austin in the 80s and was living on Shoal Creek she thought the sign said "Panty Barn". So my wife and I have called it that for years.

So it literally like a Seinfeld scene “are those the panties your mother laid out for you” kinda situation?  I hope @Biff Tannen sees this.  

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, stc said:

i ate at zen somewhat frequently in college because it was cheap and relatively healthy. it was never very good but it was a break from cheeseburgers and taco cabana. never had the sushi, just the rice bowls. 

It was good until they changed the concept to healthy.

2 hours ago, stc said:

I did after college-I finally stopped going after a menu change and because the staff, to a (wo)man, would ask “would you like to add a tip?” with such undisguised hostility that I was afraid to eat the food. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2024 at 1:32 PM, MAUFRAIS said:

Just went to Breed’s. Across the street it looked like Junior’s closed.

On 4/23/2024 at 4:29 PM, Mittens said:

That may or may not be permanent.  New property owner is weighing options.

RIP Junior's.  Fridges have been sold and the owner is replacing about half of the building that was rotting away.  He'll use it as his shop until a good offer comes along, I suspect.

Posted (edited)

Ahhhhhhhhhh!  I fucking loved that place.  Hadn't been there in about a year, but was doing my part.  Best Charcuterie Board in Austin except for the time I ate one off my wife's ass.  Long story.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Best Charcuterie Board in Austin except for the time I ate one off my wife's ass.  

I'll be honest, I wasn't pleased with the $50 upcharge I had to pay to eat charcuterie off your wife's ass.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just be glad it was only $50.  I'm out 1000x that amount for the privilege.  

Don't know where to post this as it was certainly not an Austin institution.  But that old Red Robin on Brodie in Sunset Valley.  I'm impressed with how fast they demo'd it and are building a Raising Cane's in its place from the ground-up.  I'm sure it'll do well as shopping families can grab something from the drive-thru.  But it's tiny.  It's almost finished (aside from interior), but the footprint is maybe 3,500ft2.  It's about 1/3rd of the Red Robin footprint on an even larger site.  That's a tough NNN nut to make each month slinging chicken fingers.  

Speaking of closures-was not a regular but when I was in the area, Cuvee Coffee in East Austin was always a great stop.  Not exactly a longtime stalwart on the scene but certainly had an old school Austin vibe to it.  closed last month apparently.  

^

Ha.  All the great restaurants from 29th to way up Burnet Road, and that Chili's still frequently ranks in the Top 10 in gross revenue of metro pad stores in the whole chain.  Fucking amazing.  

But I think we are truly lost as a city when the South Austin Texas Roadhouse shutters.  I mean, Texas Roadhouse?  It just means more.  

• Haha 1

Yep, 1866.  I'm almost certain the German Texan Heritage Society a few blocks over, that building had a private drinking room in 1858...but Scholz's was the first truly "public eatery & bar", though it mostly just an isolated gathering place for German immigrants at the time.  

Since I am of German-Hispanic heritage, my daughter did a cool project (that I admittedly helped with) about how for a long time, German and Spanish were spoken far more broadly in Texas than English...particularly in Central to South (a bit of Czech, too).  And now, most "native" white Texans can barely speak English properly.  

We're all (plus City Council/Project Connect/et. al.) to blame when an old Austin institution goes away.  But bloody hell, if Scholz's ever goes........I'm gonna cut a bitch.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Since I am of German-Hispanic heritage

Wow that's actually really cool. I think there's only like 16 million of you in Texas and Mexico.

(jk)