Austin -- We are losing this place

DalTxHornFan

Just now, ztejas said:

Dong Nai is one of the best Asian restaurants in Austin. 

I've heard the same from folks I trust.  We ate there just once, admittedly in a hurry, before a movie.  And had an awful experience/service/bowel issues afterwards.  Happens to every restaurant.  

If I read the sign correctly, I think there's a 'economy-style' Greek buffet going into the old Luby's on Brodie Lane.  Can't remember the name but talked to the broker and that's how he described it.  Don't hold your breath, their buildout is gonna take the better part of a year and they're already behind on bills.  One place that's an Austin brand, though not very established, in that shithole food area that I hope makes it happen---Taco Ranch.  From the P. Terry's folks.  Not exactly authentic, but fresh, tasty, affordable, and quick as shit after wife's been lugging the kids around running errands.  I look forward to seeing that bag when I walk in more than P. Terry's actually.  And their salsas are great.  And I'm a salsa snob.  

And I'll go on the record-that Applebee's in front of Best Buy & Sam's Club?  It's a front.  

On 8/3/2023 at 11:56 AM, Biff Tannen said:

I had my 5th birthday at Putt Putt on Burnet (now Yard Bar), so this hits close to home.

Cringe side story. When I was a freshman in college my buddy and I double dated with these two girls from Lubbock who were in town. One later became Miss Lubbock.

We started off the evening at that putt putt place just for kicks. They thought we were so lame (which we were) they wanted to bail on us. They wanted to do extensive drugs instead right away. Been driving past that place for decades and still think about that horrible evening. 

12 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I've heard the same from folks I trust.  We ate there just once, admittedly in a hurry, before a movie.  And had an awful experience/service/bowel issues afterwards.  Happens to every restaurant.  

If I read the sign correctly, I think there's a 'economy-style' Greek buffet going into the old Luby's on Brodie Lane.  Can't remember the name but talked to the broker and that's how he described it.  Don't hold your breath, their buildout is gonna take the better part of a year and they're already behind on bills.  One place that's an Austin brand, though not very established, in that shithole food area that I hope makes it happen---Taco Ranch.  From the P. Terry's folks.  Not exactly authentic, but fresh, tasty, affordable, and quick as shit after wife's been lugging the kids around running errands.  I look forward to seeing that bag when I walk in more than P. Terry's actually.  And their salsas are great.  And I'm a salsa snob.  

And I'll go on the record-that Applebee's in front of Best Buy & Sam's Club?  It's a front.  

I've heard Taco Ranch isn't great but I'm a slut for P. Terry's so I'll have to give them a shot. What do you get there?

• Hook 'Em 1

My dentist and ortho were down there as o kid and we always got either Grandy’s or Pit after our appointments before going back to school. I’d take either one of them back over HP. 

Also, my dad’s name is Richard Jones so all through the 80’s we’d get calls meant for the restaurants. 

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I've heard Taco Ranch isn't great but I'm a slut for P. Terry's so I'll have to give them a shot. What do you get there?

It's no tacodeli, but if we just want a value-oriented meal for the family or something faster than tacodeli (which is slow as fuck on the weekends), we keep it easy.  Their breakfast tacos are forgettable.  But lunch/dinner---asada steak or chicken tacos or quesadillas.  The Ranch Dip (their loaded queso) is killer.  As is the Mexican Vanilla Shake.  It's a basic menu, just a handful of meats done bowl/burrito/taco/tostada style.  Sides are canned forgettables.  But grab extra salsas of all kinds and try the Ranch Dip.  Quality chips, not too thick, not too greasy.  Again, it's a basic menu.  But when we don't want to splurge on tacodeli, it's probably the next best to-go taco joint in our 5-mile radius.  I get to be a taco snob when I'm downtown or in East Austin.  Give 'em a shot, it's cheap.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Richard Jones Pit Barbecue used to be a thing.  Fifth Street, South Congress, Burnet Road, Georgetown, Cameron Road -- I'm sure that I am missing some locations.

Richard Jones was one of the franchise owners of The Pit, there were several other owners, including a man named Troy Tucker who some oldtime Austinites know, and also my dad.  In addition to the ones you listed, there were locations in Cedar Park on Bell, and one at 183/Spicewood, which was our family restaurant when I was growing up in the 70s/80s.  As the franchise began to break up, Richard Jones decided to split and brand his locations with his own name, but there were several others, and of course a couple of them survived longer than the rest.

Anyway, yeah, I ate a lot of Pit BBQ growing up.  I was even in one of the television commercials.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Thanks for the additional info.  I may know you IRL.  Were you involved in Aqua Festival? 

My dad was the GM at KOKE-FM for many years and they were of course one of the promoters at Aqua Fest, but I never had any direct involvement.  Well, other than participating in the Anderson Trojan marching band booth for a couple of the years I was in high school. :)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

My dad was the GM at KOKE-FM for many years and they were of course one of the promoters at Aqua Fest, but I never had any direct involvement.  Well, other than participating in the Anderson Trojan marching band booth for a couple of the years I was in high school. :)

Also a Fighting Anderson Trojan Band member here -- from the inaugural 1973 season!

• Like 2

The Pit on Burnet: when my son was playing little league (his earliest years), they had a sandwich special, 3-4 chopped beef sandwiches for like $4.95 maybe? I’d often grab a bag of those to take to NWLL for our dinner during a game.
Orlando Arriaga, of Taco Shack, bought it, and it’s now part of that brand. Orlando’s good people.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The Pit on Burnet: when my son was playing little league (his earliest years), they had a sandwich special, 3-4 chopped beef sandwiches for like $4.95 maybe? I’d often grab a bag of those to take to NWLL for our dinner during a game.
Orlando Arriaga, of Taco Shack, bought it, and it’s now part of that brand. Orlando’s good people.

I went by the Pit in Georgetown on Williams Drive the other day and their chopped beef sandwich special on the billboard was 5 for $19.95!  My dear deceased Mom would have had a fit!

• 2 weeks later...

Hyde Park Grill lease taken over by group behind El Chile/El Alma/El Etcetera  

Apparently it's gonna be yet another concept of theirs based mostly on El Alma.  But you know...different.  I still like most of their locations, so will give it a shot.  T.I. turnaround should be by Q2 next year.  

Meantime, what's gonna happen to the Strait Music building across Ben White? 

Was going to pipe in on the Hyde Park Grill on Westgate... never went there because it looked like a "we are trying to capitalize on our name with a bland strip center location" kind of like Kerbey Lane.  I'd rather go hang at the original so never made it.  Lots of the comments I saw on FB were that it really went downhill post-Covid.  Bad service, not as good of an experience.  Some will blame "Au$tIN is CHaNginGGG!!!" but maybe it closed because it sucked.  I don't know.  

Drive 5 minutes away and Quack's has a great location on Manchaca.  Much bigger than the HP location and it has other stuff going on... https://soundspaceatx.com/

Oh... and people crying over McDonald's.  Please.  

9 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Was going to pipe in on the Hyde Park Grill on Westgate... never went there because it looked like a "we are trying to capitalize on our name with a bland strip center location" kind of like Kerbey Lane.  I'd rather go hang at the original so never made it.  Lots of the comments I saw on FB were that it really went downhill post-Covid.  Bad service, not as good of an experience.  Some will blame "Au$tIN is CHaNginGGG!!!" but maybe it closed because it sucked.  I don't know.  

That location was better when it was a Grandy’s

• Hook 'Em 1

I had the worst bbq at the one on Burnet. Perhaps worst in my life. This was around 2003-4 I would suspect. It was similar to Hickory Hollow in Houston.
  • Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That location was better when it was a Grandy’s

It was truly a very pale imitation of the original HPB&G.  We've actually eaten at the Duval location twice in the last month or so, and enjoyed it both times.  Damn tasty chicken fried _____.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Drive 5 minutes away and Quack's has a great location on Manchaca.  Much bigger than the HP location and it has other stuff going on... https://soundspaceatx.com/

Oh... and people crying over McDonald's.  Please.  

Best Quack's location was the Drag. 

38 minutes ago, Deej said:

Best Quack's location was the Drag. 

The rubble might still be there.  Then again, its a miracle the Woo didn't lean over and fall on it or it didn't get overrun.

image.jpeg.c4c2d3db664ec6fa7f71eb720d14b2cc.jpeg

Speaking of the Drag, looks like the Scientology building is about to reopen.  Walked past a Dianetics information table on gameday in front of the building where two very dour looking Scientologists were there plying their craft.  

My mom and I always liked the HPB&G in Westgate. I never had a bad experience food-wise there.

I just broke the news to her and she had an interesting take. Apparently they had quit servicing the patio because the homeless situation had gotten so sketchy. Wonder if that was a contributing factor. 

Does anyone know if they own the property the Hyde Park location sits on?

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't know how to interpret TravisCAD's lingo, but it appears that it was privately owned from 1985-2016, and was transferred (perhaps on death) at that point.  An LLC took on ownership.

It also appears that it is quite undervalued, so that's a nice tax bonus.  Sub-$600K?  Try nearly an easy 2X that amount and probably more.

Hyde Park Bar & Grill

Edited by jimmyjazz

23 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Hyde Park Grill lease taken over by group behind El Chile/El Alma/El Etcetera  

Apparently it's gonna be yet another concept of theirs based mostly on El Alma.  But you know...different.  I still like most of their locations, so will give it a shot.  T.I. turnaround should be by Q2 next year.  

Cool. Another expensive Tex-Mex brunch spot for moms that want to get day drunk. My wife will be thrilled at least. 

23 hours ago, texasdago said:

Perhaps I'm misreading, but Quack's (which is great) isn't an alternative to HPB&G. It's a bakery. Not a restaurant. Why would anyone who wants dinner to go Quack's. 

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

My mom and I always liked the HPB&G in Westgate. I never had a bad experience food-wise there.

I just broke the news to her and she had an interesting take. Apparently they had quit servicing the patio because the homeless situation had gotten so sketchy. Wonder if that was a contributing factor. 

While the homeless situation over there is sketchy, I'm guessing they stopped servicing the patio because it's a-hundred-and-fuck degrees outside every day. There are usually a handful of homeless people camped out under the 71 underpass (until the city makes them pack up their shit once a week), but you don't see them wandering around the strip center.  

I like that HPB&G. I ate there a few weeks ago before going to a movie in the same center. I didn't go often, but when I did go I generally enjoyed the food. But it was always pretty empty. 

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Perhaps I'm misreading, but Quack's (which is great) isn't an alternative to HPB&G. It's a bakery. Not a restaurant. Why would anyone who wants dinner to go Quack's. 

Nah just pointing out a cool place on the south side... and what's wrong with rainbow cookies or pain au chocolat for dinner, you snob?

42 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Cool. Another expensive Tex-Mex brunch spot for moms that want to get day drunk. My wife will be thrilled at least. 

While the homeless situation over there is sketchy, I'm guessing they stopped servicing the patio because it's a-hundred-and-fuck degrees outside every day. There are usually a handful of homeless people camped out under the 71 underpass (until the city makes them pack up their shit once a week), but you don't see them wandering around the strip center.  

I like that HPB&G. I ate there a few weeks ago before going to a movie in the same center. I didn't go often, but when I did go I generally enjoyed the food. But it was always pretty empty. 

Edited by YGIFS
can't post below the quote for some reason. my bad

49 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I'm not sure when they told her this. Could have been awhile ago. If they don't want to service the patio because it's too hot why don't they just say that? What dipshit is going to be like "I know it's 107 out - but I NEED to eat outside!"

Granted I doubt that was the main factor. Almost assuredly it was revenue vs expenses - maybe that shopping center raised their rent. Or maybe they were having staffing issues. Idk. Hopefully the HP location toughs it out but Mother's already bit the dust. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure when they told her this. Could have been awhile ago. If they don't want to service the patio because it's too hot why don't they just say that? What dipshit is going to be like "I know it's 107 out - but I NEED to eat outside!"

Granted I doubt that was the main factor. Almost assuredly it was revenue vs expenses - maybe that shopping center raised their rent. Or maybe they were having staffing issues. Idk. Hopefully the HP location toughs it out but Mother's already bit the dust. 

Could have been before the reinstated the camping ban. It was WAAAAAAY worse back then. But the ban's been back in place for at least a year, so I'm not sure that a lack of outdoor seating due to meddling homeless can be blamed for the restaurant shuttering. 

That patio sucked for three reasons.  

1.  Covered by hot asphalt on three sides with very little fan action.

2.  While they wouldn't directly wander into the patio area, there was a large homeless encampment that's still mostly there under that overpass.  I'm more compassionate than the average diner, but nobody wants to see that shit when they're eating.

3.  The ambient heat and noise generated by that access road and elevated lanes was annoying as shit.  I don't mind eating outside if it's a hint on the toasty side, but that thing was just built on top of a hot parking lot, with a hot road next to it, with lots of noise, and lots of eyesores.  Plus as stated above, the dining room was almost always half empty even on a Saturday night.  Their margins were decent given the simplicity of the menu and the hustling of booze.  But that was rough NNN lease payment to make nonetheless.  

I think the "patio" craze caught up to a lot of owners just like the "rooftop bar" craze in Austin from about 2005-2015.  People eventually realized, "Meh, was cool the first time.  Now it's hot and loud."  It's one way to drive up revenue/foot, but in the end it can be a cost bleeder.  That Texican Cafe caddie-corner from HPG, they wanted to put in a large patio and obviously there was plenty of room in that ghost town parking lot.  But I bet somebody talked them out of it because it's just a heat pocket with loud noises from Ben White/360.  Who sits down for margaritas and thinks, "Oh, what a nice view of that abandoned Toys 'R Us and Hobby Lobby.  Let's get some ceviche, feels like we're in the tropics!"  

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

2.  While they wouldn't directly wander into the patio area, there was a large homeless encampment that's still mostly there under that overpass.  I'm more compassionate than the average diner, but nobody wants to see that shit when they're eating.

Reminds me of the time a few years ago when I was eating at DeSano on Burnet and witnessed a homeless woman bust out a roll of Charmin double-ply while breaking into a squat by a bus stop bench directly across the street.

1 hour ago, D_Goose said:

Reminds me of the time a few years ago when I was eating at DeSano on Burnet and witnessed a homeless woman bust out a roll of Charmin double-ply while breaking into a squat by a bus stop bench directly across the street.

Well, at least you paid too much for your pizza.

16 hours ago, D_Goose said:

Keep Austin Shitty

23 hours ago, D_Goose said:

If that was during the first year or so of COVID, she could have sold that roll and rented an apartment. 

I feel like only about 50% of that restaurant group’s concepts survive more than a couple of years and they’ve tried all kinds of cuisine on Manor.  Maybe that’s a good batting average since it’s hospitality but feels a little underwhelming.  

As far as Hyde Park Westgate, it always felt a little soul-less to me, like an inferior Threadgills.  

We didn't really lose it because it never really opened but lots of well-known restaurant projects were attached to it for awhile.  

But da fuh with that Saint Elmo Market off of South Congress Avenue? What the fuck else can do with that building (which looks really nice actually)?  

Is El Alma El Chile/Chilito people? I never liked their food. 

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

But da fuh with that Saint Elmo Market off of South Congress Avenue? What the fuck else can do with that building (which looks really nice actually)?  

Dude - I have no fucking idea. I live down the street and was wondering the other day wtf they're doing with that building. It's been completed for awhile. The stretch over closer to 71 in the industrial-style office park has some cool stuff. There's a trailer that does amazing fried chicken sandwiches with a nice outdoor seating area that also fronts a beer garden type place. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Is El Alma El Chile/Chilito people? I never liked their food. 

Dude - I have no fucking idea. I live down the street and was wondering the other day wtf they're doing with that building. It's been completed for awhile. The stretch over closer to 71 in the industrial-style office park has some cool stuff. There's a trailer that does amazing fried chicken sandwiches with a nice outdoor seating area that also fronts a beer garden type place. 

1.  Yes.  Same group.  They currently have four "concepts" still out there.  The Westgate store will be an El Alma concept.  Almost the exact same menu to the item.  Not sure what they'll do it cosmetically.  The upstairs patio at the Barton Springs Road location was cool back in my margarita days.  Of all their concepts, IMHO, El Alma has the best food.  But as you say, that can be a low bar.  

2.  Yeah, as of last month-the last tenant agreement was terminated and everything wrapped up with a bow on top.  Only thing for certain is the facility will not proceed as intended.  It can still be repurposed, permits and infrastructure will allow for it, into another restaurant/market concept.  Could even serve as a "Adult Food Court" for breweries and distilleries/wineries from the hill country or something that want a "tasting" room closer to town.  Otherwise, it's not gonna sustain just regular retail because the price they'll have to charge per NNN sq ft. won't make sense.  I'm not paying for industrial kitchen buildout to sell clothes or vinyl records.  Nobody's gonna pay to groundlease until they can figure out a more economically viable F&B platform.  And nobody is gonna pay for the land to demo the building to start over.  I'm guessing there's gonna be a lot of "town halls" with their LP's in the coming months.  The quality and sign were really well executed.  Which makes doing anything else with it pretty tough.  But given its  location and the lack of imagination, it'll sit idle for 2 more years before a multi-family goes up around it and the former food hall serves as the most expensive tenant amenity/clubhouse in austin apartment history complete with gym, coffee shop, indoor put-putt, etc.  But that'll bake in at least $200/month+ into what'll be a very high rent to begin with.