Austin -- We are losing this place

DalTxHornFan

What in the world could possibly take over that Louis Shanks building?  The world’s most uncomfortable coworking space?

It’s like you haven’t even heard of Brisketexan’s FreedomEagleJesusGun School for Freedom and Liberty and Jesus that will happily accept the soon-to-come vouchers the Lege will be handing out.
I sent an application package to your kiddos, I’m disappointed that y’all haven’t filled it out yet.
Our Louis Shanks campus is going to be our crown jewel.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/23/2023 at 6:19 AM, texasdago said:

Lots of olds actually complaining about Louis Shanks being a part of old Austin.  I'm assuming it's happening in San Antonio too with the local abuelas.  It shut down in Houston quite a while ago.

Anyhow...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cg2L5kerNuY/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I grew up a few blocks away from that building and it's a landmark of my lifetime in Austin, and yet I've only been inside once, ever.  Shortly after I got married and was looking for "adult" furniture, I cruised through there for about 10 minutes and decided it was a little above my paygrade.  There WAS a really beautiful "indoor Adirondack" chair made from solid maple that was beautiful, but the $8,000 pricetag not so much.

I suspect it'll be reconstructed and repurposed into some generic multi story mixed-use building because lord know we don't have enough of those.

Edited by utee94

On 9/22/2023 at 10:51 PM, Brisketexan said:

Brisketexan’s FreedomEagleJesusGun School for Freedom and Liberty and Jesus

You're going to have a hard time competing with The Bozo Casanova Classical Education But Not in a Gay Way Academy for Lanky Boys (K-12).

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, utee94 said:

I grew up a few blocks away from that building and it's a landmark of my lifetime in Austin, and yet I've only been inside once, ever.  Shortly after I got married and was looking for "adult" furniture, I cruised through there for about 10 minutes and decided it was a little above my paygrade.  There WAS a really beautiful "indoor Adirondack" chair made from solid maple that was beautiful, but the $8,000 pricetag not so much.

I suspect it'll be reconstructed and repurposed into some generic multi story mixed-use building because lord know we don't have enough of those.

I was actually in there a few weeks back on our way back from our weekly trip the Four Hands Outlet.  It's very much a time machine back to the 70's or 80's when a department store would be the main competition.  If you're interested in a sectional that has a built in lazy boy and has remote control recline features they have an enormous variety of options.  If you're looking for something more contemporary in styling there's almost nothing. 

16 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I was actually in there a few weeks back on our way back from our weekly trip the Four Hands Outlet.  It's very much a time machine back to the 70's or 80's when a department store would be the main competition.  If you're interested in a sectional that has a built in lazy boy and has remote control recline features they have an enormous variety of options.  If you're looking for something more contemporary in styling there's almost nothing. 

The Houston one shuttered in 2016 as it just could not work in today's market.  It was a matter of time.  Just like Fingers Furniture, Superior Waterbed and "we put the yeeeeehaaw back in your motor and transmission!"

Similar experience.  When we bought our first house, we went there to look around.  We were at a smaller, more contemporary place up north and guy was super helpful and we bought a few things there.  We asked him where I could find an old-school, large desk for my home office.  He suggested Louis Shanks.  We had never been.  I was in a Longhorn polo and shorts.  He said, "But you probably shouldn't go in there dressed like that."  I thought he was being funny.  We drove straight there and got the side eye from the staff.  Sure enough, it was like walking through each of our grandparents homes overs the decades.  Everybody was a dick.  I did end up buying a desk that I still have to this day and like.  But everything else there was not for us.  But they made it a long while so they did something right.  

But I'm genuinely curious what the hell they do with that spot.  There's not enough parking to do mixed-use or office.  Technically, it's retail but they never needed more than 30-40 spots at a given time, even during their blowout sales.  The building itself can be retrofitted to serve a lot of functions but you'd also have to add some windows.  It's only 3 acres so it should remain somewhat vertical, but not enough room to build more dense parking alongside the main building.  That main building has to be what 60-80k square feet?  What kinda retail needs that much space?  Again, I don't see how you turn it into office or even mixed-use?  Awfully expensive demo project.  

In other news, must have gotten a construction/bridge loan finally extended/approved.  Self-proclaimed "Discount-Medditeranean Buffet" going into austin staple Luby's spot on Brodie Lane has made rapid progress recently.  Looks like it will open up before year's end.  Always a good idea to get diarrhea whilst hitting up multiple big box stores on a Sunday.  It stands to reason people eat along that strip on weekends while running multiple errands.  But that whole area is just a death trap for restaurants from Target up to Westgate, very few fast-food and fast-casual joints survive.  Luby's was the longest.  Red Robin just shuttered.  As will another handful in the next 12 mos.  

That's the second Red Robin to close there in the last 10 years.  Not sure why they thought the second time would be different.  Plenty of the places around there have lasted 10+ years though.  La Madeline, Schlotzsky's, Fire Bowl, Doc's, Chipotle, Mighty Fine, BJ's, Texadelphia...

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

That's a solid list, and proud to say I've been 18 of the 21.  And am a regular at a half dozen of them.  But what the fuck is "Mattie's" doing on there?  Yes, green pastures in an Austin staple but that restaurant is like 6 years old.  

Agree on Mattie's.  I've been to many events and dinners at Green Pastures over the years.  Avenue B and Phoenicia are the only two I've not visited.

27 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I thought that this piece did a pretty good job of identifying the great places in Austin that we haven't (yet) lost.  Get out there and support them!  I still miss El Azteca the most!

https://austin.eater.com/maps/classic-restaurants-austin-historic-places

That is an excellent list.  I’ve also never heard of Avenue B.  I’ll have to check it out on my next trip back.  I miss a few of those places.

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I thought that this piece did a pretty good job of identifying the great places in Austin that we haven't (yet) lost.  Get out there and support them!  I still miss El Azteca the most!

https://austin.eater.com/maps/classic-restaurants-austin-historic-places

Solid list, although I could care less about El Patio. 

As much as I like the Crown that's a hot dog place for me, I'm a Posse East Truther.  The crown offers nothing in the same league as the combo plate and the Posse burger is better than the Crown burger, full stop. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

How's the Saturday chili?

Everything there is pretty homemade. It’s good, but it’s not going to be as though it were from an awesome restaurant.

It’s a place to eat a sandwich with zapp’s chips and an ibc and read the chronicle. I’ve had the soup and chili and liked both.

And chat the dude up. He’s not going to kiss your ass, but he’s cool.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

As much as I like the Crown that's a hot dog place for me, I'm a Posse East Truther.  The crown offers nothing in the same league as the combo plate and the Posse burger is better than the Crown burger, full stop. 

I've never tried the burger at Posse East.  I was always a Sheriff or nachos guy, with a pitcher of Shiner Bock.  Sounds like I need to go back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've never tried the burger at Posse East.  I was always a Sheriff or nachos guy, with a pitcher of Shiner Bock.  Sounds like I need to go back.

The burger is good. I like C&A better, but they're both good. 

And I sure hope he's just talking about a "burger at the Posse" because the thing that was once called "The Posse Burger" and is now called "the Desperado" is taco meat with jalapenos and queso on a bun.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just now, utee94 said:

The burger is good. I like C&A better, but they're both good. 

And I sure hope he's just talking about a "burger at the Posse" because the thing that was once called "The Posse Burger" and is now called "the Desperado" is taco meat with jalapenos and queso on a bun.

Nope - good catch.  I had a Posse Cheeseburger with bacon and japs and fries plus a nacho. My pal (@super from Hornfans for the old timers here) had the combo plate - taco+chalupa+nacho

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/29/2023 at 2:00 PM, MAUFRAIS said:

Everything there is pretty homemade. It’s good, but it’s not going to be as though it were from an awesome restaurant.

I ate there a couple times maybe 15 years ago but this was about my exact same thought.

On 9/29/2023 at 2:37 PM, MAUFRAIS said:

And while I’m at it, me and Sarah at Dry Creek got along just fine.

Yep. She was a really nice lady.

I always seem to get along better with the supposedly difficult people. You just have to show respect and understanding. 

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m glad to hear it is still opened. I know they had closed for a bit. Maybe around covid lockdowns. Used to get sandwiches and regional sodas there in the early 2000’s.

I don't know why "Regional Soda" is making me giggle.  Sounds like an STD somebody gets from a distant relative.  "My Regional Soda" is acting up again, hurts when I piss.  What are we doing for Easter again?  

On 9/25/2023 at 1:01 PM, utee94 said:

Well, it would fit in nicely with the other 9-12 mattress stores within a 2-block radius...

On 9/25/2023 at 1:20 PM, Deej said:

All that money is not going to launder itself. 

On 9/25/2023 at 1:34 PM, utee94 said:

Hmmm, the Joseph family does have several other business interests in the area.  That would explain a lot...

Oh I 100% believe this and have had this theory about mattress stores for several years.  How are people purchasing that many mattresses?!?!  I don't buy it for a second.

On 9/29/2023 at 1:51 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Solid list, although I could care less about El Patio. 

This is fucked up man.

• 6 months later...

That sucks. I really liked that bar. Pizza was fine but I never went there to eat. 

That being said, buying that building for $3m after sinking $200k just to cover day-to-day operations at a struggling dive bar doesn't seem like a prudent investment. And asking the general public to cover part of your $600k down payment is an interesting strategy. The people that are going to contribute to that are regulars. And regulars already spend all of their disposable income at your bar. But good luck!

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1