Austin -- We are losing this place

DalTxHornFan

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And again, the people we meet are pretty friendly across the board, from the fancy shops to the dicey mexican food dives in Espanola.

That’s what I always love about New Mexico.  I love all the beautiful views as well - desert, mountains, grasslands, volcanic areas, high meadows.  It’s got a little bit of everything.

The vast open spaces always puts me in a good vibe as well.  

1 minute ago, ftf82 said:

Not NM, but just north of there you can buy yourself cheap acreage in the San Luis Valley. Only an hour or so north of Taos. No utilities or maintained roads though. And retiring to New Mexico is great until you need healthcare. 

https://www.amazon.com/Cheap-Land-Colorado-Off-Gridders-Americas-ebook/dp/B09QPJKSXM

The Presbyterian health system there seems to get pretty good marks.  But yeah, all in all, if you're in the age band where you're likely to need major health care, being near SF or ABQ is a smarter move.

18 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

The area between Tres Piedras and Chama is one of the most desolate and beautiful places in the US. Getting in and out of there in the winter can be a bitch though.

Wha?  Highway 64 between TA and Tres Piedras this past week:

Damn good snow pack this year in Chama watershed.

CC90860E-8848-446C-9D74-54F06F9BE072.jpeg

Just now, YGIFS said:

Unrelated but bummed to hear that not one, not two, but all Daily Juices in Austin are closing down this month.  Always a little pricey for me, but a nice monthly treat for me and the kids...and wonderful staff.  Sorry to see them go.  

Damn. There's one by my work I go to.

Wait nevermind that's a JuiceLand. 

Carry on. 

15 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Unrelated but bummed to hear that not one, not two, but all Daily Juices in Austin are closing down this month.  Always a little pricey for me, but a nice monthly treat for me and the kids...and wonderful staff.  Sorry to see them go.  

Is that the one that started in the Flipnotics building on Barton Springs (at least I think that was the original location)?  My ex and I used to walk down there when we lived in the neighborhood up the hill.  A bit pricey back then, but good stuff, and it was before the explosion of juice bars across town.

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2023 at 8:04 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

I've heard mixed reviews lately.  Hope that they get their shit together.

I've been twice, the last time was about a month ago. The first time, I swear they keep their donuts in a refrigerator, they were really cold and chewy and crappy, nothing at all like they were a few years ago. This last time I wised up and asked for 'hot' so they came out about room temperature. Still really chewy, the icing is crap, all thin and gooey. I don't like Tyson much but I can't believe he put all that money into this just to turn out really shitty donuts. He might be the Elon Musk of breakfast.

• 1 month later...

My buddy’s dad would take us to Mrs Johnson’s at like 2am on weekends when we were in middle school and it was amazing. Haven’t tried this new rendition yet. 

Just up the street is Rosè Gosè, by the RussiAn Tea Room people. Went in for a couple of drinks yesterday and I dug the atmosphere. Didn’t eat the food though. Seems to be getting good reviews. And hearing all the staff converse in Russian is wild. 

Tuesday night 2 for 1 chicken fried steak at Beans on 6th street was fucking legit. You got a huge chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes with white gravy and green beans. And I think they served big bread rolls in a basket. Anybody remember that? I want to say it was $6.00 and you'd split it with the other poor college kid and feasted your face off. I drank their giant iced tea with this meal usually because I was too poor for beer but that was probably only $1.50.  I loved Tuesdays because of Beans. They had their menu on huge Bean cans and I think served their Tea out of big mason jars. 

59 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Tuesday night 2 for 1 chicken fried steak at Beans on 6th street was fucking legit. You got a huge chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes with white gravy and green beans. And I think they served big bread rolls in a basket. Anybody remember that? I want to say it was $6.00 and you'd split it with the other poor college kid and feasted your face off. I drank their giant iced tea with this meal usually because I was too poor for beer but that was probably only $1.50.  I loved Tuesdays because of Beans. They had their menu on huge Bean cans and I think served their Tea out of big mason jars. 

Yeah, I've mentioned that on one of these threads.  We had a crew of 7, and we'd order 4X 2-1 dinners.  The one guy who was an Olympic level volleyball player would eat 2 of them.  (Long story short, he missed the pre-tour camp because he was an idiot and broke his hand punching the wall because he was pissed drunk and pissed at his girlfriend.  At least he didn't hit her.)

City is apparently trying to put Green Mesquite out of business. Just drove down there from Westlake on Barton Springs and they now have yellow bollards (posts, whatever) preventing you from either doing a U-turn or turning left on Josephine to park on the east side of GM. Instead, you either have to turn early on Jessie and go up and around the Carpenter or turn left on Lamar and then around the block. Look, I realize that the food there (other than the chicken wings which is what I was going to pick up) aren't all that great, but sitting out back under the trees sipping down a Shiner or Fire Eagle while waiting on a to go order or meeting a few friends for lunch for way to long needs some sort of historical protection. And when everyone forgets about We Sorta Try Bluegrass band, they will have died twice.

Honestly surprised that place is still in business.  Had lunch there a couple of weeks ago - I panic-named it when a friend from out of town surprised me w/ a lunch request at like 11:15.  I forgot to tell him the BBQ was trash and he needed to order something else...he took like 2 bites and pushed the plate away.  How they sell enough to keep the lights on is beyond me - the last couple of times I've been in, there's more employees than customers.

He called about 2min after we left and cussed me as he passed Terry Black's.  I just took my L and apologized.

• Haha 1

Yeah. It's, uhhhhhh, not very good. Other than the wings which are ok-ish. But also expensive as fuck! 10 wings for only $18. 

I honestly have no idea how they've stayed open for so long. They must own the property and are just waiting for someone to offer them more than they can refuse. So may as well keep a super-shitty bbq restaurant open while they hold out...

No smoked beef cheeks or garlic cauliflower (gluten free) Mac and cheese for sure. But the wings are very good and the chopped beef sandwich is delicious.  And the beer is cold and the patio is awesome.  So agree to disagree. 

Apparently the "Hi, how are you?" frog was saved from demolition to become more west campus high rises.  Is nothing sacred?  JFC.
You tell your history "damn man!"  50 years old, let's smash it to the floor and put a car park here!

I almost posted a photo of it from reddit the other day but figured it had been posted 47 times already.

7ad3225cbd701ce70626a8c83667e1cd.jpg

Gonna be tough not to accidentally wreck that wall during construction.  Hope it endures 

could somebody purposely demolish poke place and fucking Darque Tan please though? 

We need a real estate thread for campus aside from the few posts in the downtown thread.  There’s a lot more going than most realize.

and how in fuck does that TCBY on MLK stay in business?

At least they saved the wall in the mural but everyone cries about the building behind it but it was a random ass strip center.  I used to go to record exchange/sound exchange but they've been long gone so what was there to save except the frog?  They kept the best part.  And the Woo? C'mon y'all.   it's been a dump for decades.

As for Green Mesquite, I've been warned more than once so I've never eaten there.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/18/2023 at 10:07 AM, YGIFS said:

and how in fuck does that TCBY on MLK stay in business?

If you want to further be confused, I learned the other day that there's a 2nd TCBY in town on West Slaughter. 

The one on 38th hit the dust not too long ago unless I'm misremembering. 

I could see one on West Slaughter staying in business because of all the young families down there.  Kids want a frozen treat on way home from school or sports, and parents are just old enough to remember when TCBY was a BFD.  So everybody in the car is happy.  I walk past that thing probably twice a week and the only people I see in line are 70+year olds, and maybe 4 people total.  And I think, "Of course they'd make this woefully inconvenient drive to a congested campus from Pflugerville for something they can get anywhere else in Texas."  

I could see one on West Slaughter staying in business because of all the young families down there.  Kids want a frozen treat on way home from school or sports, and parents are just old enough to remember when TCBY was a BFD.  So everybody in the car is happy.  I walk past that thing probably twice a week and the only people I see in line are 70+year olds, and maybe 4 people total.  And I think, "Of course they'd make this woefully inconvenient drive to a congested campus from Pflugerville for something they can get anywhere else in Texas."  

The one by campus is a front. For what, I don’t know. But it’s been a front for decades. Incredibly expensive real estate, occupied by a business with gross revenues of $137 a day (if it’s a hot weekend day during football season…maybe). It’s a front.

You're about the fifth person (whom I take serious in most things) that's told me this.  

I can only assume, whomever it is, they're considered-in their own inner circle-to be the Nate Paul of frozen confection-themed CRE?  

TWCY

The World Class Yogurt?  

Edited by YGIFS

In high school I worked at a TCBY. I had a key and would leave the machines running when I closed up. I'd go to see rock shows after I got off work and bring my friends back to eat free sundaes. We'd give the WW2 vet security guard sundaes and he would bitch about anything and everything. It ruled. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Incredibly expensive real estate

Expensive, tiny footprint, and terrible to access.  Unless someone was buying the block to redevelop, I can't imagine why anyone would want that specific spot. Just a shit location to put a business.