Sacramento and Dallas Saturday night mass shootings

crash_davis

We really are desensitized to this shit. 2 big shootings in public places Saturday night. 

Sacremento: 6 killed, 12 wounded. Still looking for shooters

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/04/us/sacramento-california-shooting-monday/index.html

Dallas: 1 killed, 11 wounded. Still looking for shooter(s).

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/one-killed-multiple-others-injured-in-shooting-at-dallas-concert-venue/2930878/

We had gun checks and metal detectors at my high school in the early 1990’s.  Nothing new.  We never had active shooter drills but my daughter has them at her elementary school.  My last year in high school, they even added armed security to roam the campus. 

what we didn’t know then was that you have to try to mitigate gang/crime related guns on campus, also mitigate ability for lone/duo student gunmen to come back to school, while also preventing outsiders/adults from bringing guns onto campus.  And then train 1st graders what to do when anything like this happens.  

it’s all covered in our teacher CEU summer program entitled, “What the fuck?  I’m here to teach art.”   

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

cruising reddit and saw this pic. bag check line at a high school. gotta check for guns. not making a joke of that. what fucking times we are living through.

1xhh0c3t1ir81.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg

7n54gf3t1ir81.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg

since the school is already built like a medieval castle they could also try archers, buckets of burning oil, and moats with alligators.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Saw on the news earlier that they had a second suspect in custody over the Sacramento shooting. His name is Smiley and he’s the brother of the first suspect apprehended.

Found a link:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/rcna22994

Sounds like Dandrae and Smiley are proper fucked.  Fight that turned into mass murder.  

16 hours ago, Satchel said:

There’s nothing that should surprise here. There are 300 million guns in the hands of Americans. It’s silly to think people won’t often use them haphazardly.

If there were additional 300 million to combat the original 300 million, you would see a reduction in gun violence.

prove me wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:
3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:
Sounds like Dandrae and Smiley are proper fucked.  Fight that turned into mass murder.  

Dandrae and Smiley, if guilty are menaces to society and should be locked up for life. Those bitches are irredeemable.

Agreed.  Anyone who kills 6 (well, less than that) and wounds another 12 (less than that, too) shouldn't be around for long.  

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If there were additional 300 million to combat the original 300 million, you would see a reduction in gun violence.

prove me wrong.

It's going to take awhile, but we can get there.  

Keeping people from keeping it real, tbd.  

28 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

spacer.png

So more guns helped lower gun homicide rates?  Or did we make it slightly less simple for dangerous people to buy weapons, particularly high-capacity ones?  Or did we just get more responsible?   I'm honestly asking.  We seemed to be stuck on 40-45k gun deaths per year in the U.S. regardless of gun ownership.   I've been a board member of AEI for a decade and had no idea they ever delved into gun stats.  News to me.

31 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Did you just not like the last decade's worth of data or could you not find it?

It will show gun violence has decreased significantly in the last 30 years while the number of guns in people's hands has exploded.  This was the only chart I could find

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s a little disingenuous to start a thread on these “mass” shootings while you tip toe around the constant and inherent singular slaying of people (mostly inner city) at the barrel of a gun every damn day across the U.S. And the additive singular numbers are much higher than these two incidents.

I guess there wasn’t some scary looking gun involved in the last two shootings because I haven’t seen the ban “assault weapons” crowd out yet.

Gun violence absolutely needs to be addressed but mass shootings and “assault weapons” are scary window dressings that distract from the endemic gun and other deadly weapon problems in this country.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So more guns helped lower gun homicide rates?  Or did we make it slightly less simple for dangerous people to buy weapons, particularly high-capacity ones?  Or did we just get more responsible?   I'm honestly asking.  We seemed to be stuck on 40-45k gun deaths per year in the U.S. regardless of gun ownership.   I've been a board member of AEI for a decade and had no idea they ever delved into gun stats.  News to me.

i was surprised to see the Center for Disease Control spearheading the data. seems...odd.

26 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

It’s a little disingenuous to start a thread on these “mass” shootings while you tip toe around the constant and inherent singular slaying of people (mostly inner city) at the barrel of a gun every damn day across the U.S. And the additive singular numbers are much higher than these two incidents.

I guess there wasn’t some scary looking gun involved in the last two shootings because I haven’t seen the ban “assault weapons” crowd out yet.

Gun violence absolutely needs to be addressed but mass shootings and “assault weapons” are scary window dressings that distract from the endemic gun and other deadly weapon problems in this country.

Article said something about them being charged with possession of a "machine gun".  Whatever they mean by that, I couldn't tell you. 

IIRC, CDC has been doing that for decades.  AEI does some cursory crime stats from time to time, but really only as a function of commerce/urban v. rural kinda shit.  They've been really good about not following American down the stupid rabbit hole the last several years.  Carpe Diem is really just the "side-blog" of one of their scholars, so maybe he just slapped it on there to legitimize it.  Anyway, still raises the question...is that correlation without causation? 

I don't think our number of guns in the issue.  Many countries with higher gun homicide rates have far fewer guns per person.  I just contend we have more stupid/crazy people per capita than most countries (for myriad reasons for other threads) with more access to more firepower.  If you were to blend suicide by gun, homicide by gun, and mass shooting deaths...we're alarmingly near the top.  Suicidal people without guns might change their mind with a longer death option (pills, jumping, etc.), homicidal people might solve problems differently without quick access to guns, and mass shooters might not kill so many people before good guys arrived but for assault rifles/high-capacity mags.  None of those things can be blamed on the hundreds of millions of ho-hum firearms secured away in home across America.  Again, there's places with more mass shootings per capita, places with more handgun deaths, etc.  We're not going down on gun deaths because we have more guns (the good guys with guns on the scene mythology is still just that).  But our blended cocktail of mass shootings, criminal homicide, and suicide is way too fucking high.  We could lose 25 million guns tomorrow and the country and 2A would still be 'okay'.  We could lose 25 million stupid people tomorrow and I would present to you a Utopia.  

But that doesn't account for the fact that pirates usually use small, energy-efficient outboard motors to approach the ships they want to pirate.  But once on board, they are just as guilty of burning the vessel's heavy bunker fuel...which may be the most carbon-intensive fossil fuel mankind will ever know.  And that in turn raises global temperatures.  So they're just as complicit even though they operate in fewer numbers.  Fucking savages!

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

It’s beyond sad that we’ve been reduced to acknowledging the existence of an average mass shooting.

This.  I am old enough to remember when my school tornado drills would occur regularly; and one day our teacher taught us about the brand new adopted Fujita scale for measuring tornadoes.  Thankfully, one never hit us but a few hit just west of us by a few miles growing up including the Plainfield tornado and it became second hand nature to discuss tornadoes using F-1, F-2, F-5.  Much like how gulf coast kids grow up discussing categories of hurricane.  Of course you're still scared, but somehow you become slightly numbed to hearing "Oh, it was just an F-2" or "Oh, once it makes landfall, it'll go down from a Cat-3 to Cat-1 in hours."  

By the time my oldest is in high school, there will be a scale for measuring mass shootings in this country.  Probably a letter for public shootings and scale of # victims, 4-9, 10-19, 20-29, etc.  So a Wal-Mart in El Paso or Sacramento nightclub will be a P-2.  And then a separate coding for school shootings with same victim scale, so an S-1 or S-3.  And we'll hear about them as parents and citizens, and kind of shrug the smaller ones off, "It was a P-3?  But it was a workplace shooting?  Damn shame, where do you wanna grab lunch?"  -or- "It was an S-1 today, only 6 dead.  But it was a middle school, so kinda sad."  We're already numbed to it, but there'll be a reporting system devised to further desensitize us to them.  Like tornadoes, the damage can only be gleaned afterwards.  Nothing you can do to prepare except active shooter drills just like we did tornado drills growing up.  

I still regret saying this to my 1st grader last year when she asked about why they were doing active shooter drills at her school.  She's never seen any of our guns.  But she knows what "shooting" means.  She asked why anybody would want to shoot her or her friends.  I didn't know what to say, so I said the honest thing, "Because they can."  

Agreed.  Hope nothing bad happens to 'em during a prison transfer.  Be a damn shame.  Morbidly curious now how they attained their weapons. 

Well, Mr. Martin is/was a notary public.  So it looked legit.  

There was a strip of bars not too far from there I used to frequent when I lived there.  Not at all a place you'd expect a mass shooting, even given the hour.  It's nothing like Sixth Street or anything like that.  There was another one in Sacramento a month or two back as well, and it was literally block from where I lived.  Not a high-end area by any means, but nothing where you'd expect a shootout.  As strip mall plain-jane as you could get.  Weird.  Sad.  

5 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

I gave up after sandy hook. If that didn't cause change for common sense gun laws to pass, nothing would. 

Laws are only effective when people follow them.  What about either of the "mass shootings" makes you think the current laws were followed?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Hate said:

Laws are only effective when people follow them.  What about either of the "mass shootings" makes you think the current laws were followed?

I was reading what was posted in the thread so far and thought about the state of our society in general as it relates to guns and ownership. It was not specific to this shooting. Perhaps it came across that way. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's one of the problems.  People almost always get out of prison.  Then what?

And don't tell me the solution is more life sentences and death penalty.

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ll defer to you on that, then. My opinion on the subject isn’t popular here. 

Its like the fat kid who is almost always long doomed prior to even reaching puberty. We have to address how the kids are being raised. We then have to address the prison system, the inner workings of the system, and why it further hardens the inmates. Lastly, opportunities for criminals once released. $10 an hour in this economy is a surefire way to get repeat felons. That's not enough for even one person to live on. You know the age old saying. Pressure bursts pipes.

• Hook 'Em 1