2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, WBT said:

Sure you can.  You just have to take the team control years & projected arb salaries off the front and compare what's left.

You have to translate and not take them at face value. That was short hand for saying you can’t just compare numbers but you are 1000% correct it can be worked out. 

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I had If fully healthy as an absolute predicate for that to even be considered. 
I’m aware of how awesome Urquidy’s start was. It goes down with the great Brandon Backe in his playoff run. But, matching up those teams 10/10 you’d take All Star Framber and Javier over old man Greinke and rookie Urquidy. 

I’m not throwing shade at that team. I’m not making a prediction about this team. I’m saying 90 games in its on the table for Tia to be the greatest Astro team of all time and I’m really really happy about that. 

I would take that Urquidy start in a vacuum compared to Framber's world series starts last year and Javier at a career high in innings pitched. Obviously we know Framber is better than those starts, and Javier has potential to be a good starter all season long.

16 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Not an anomaly. That’s what they do. They were 33-19 in 1 run games last year. 

You can get lucky twice in a row. In the entire history of MLB you rarely see positive correlation for the same team winning 1 run games consistently from year to year. It’s mostly luck. 
a 7-0 record in 1 run games is always an anomaly, it isn’t sustainable. 

article of all teams in 1 run games for like 100 years:

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/platform/amp/2013/3/15/4105922/one-run-game-performance-unsustainable-orioles

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don’t know how you turn down 440 million.  I don’t see how he’s gonna top that even with 2 shorter deals for more total money.  He must really want out of Washington.  Like he hates it more than Oklahoma and college station combined.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

I don’t know how you turn down 440 million.  I don’t see how he’s gonna top that even with 2 shorter deals for more total money.  He must really want out of Washington.  Like he hates it more than Oklahoma and college station combined.

Maybe he doesn't want to be Mike Trout 2.0 and just languish on a shitty team. Yeah, I know his rookie year, of course; but where the Nats are right now and going forward...

The draft has been off our radar for a few years. Fuck Manfred. The Astros will pick  #28, 64, 80 tonight. Looking at a few mock drafts, there is a curious lack of pitching at the top. Here’s what MLB Pipeline has to say

28. Astros
Callis: Jordan Beck, OF, Tennessee (No. 23)
The Astros are another club that could dip into the deep college outfielder pool with Beck, Thompson, Spencer Jones, Melton or Stanford's Brock Jones. They also could shop in the Tommy John surgery bin (Lesko, Mississippi State right-hander Landon Sims) and could consider Tidwell, who missed the first six weeks of the season with shoulder problems.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, kevwun said:

I could understand him not wanting to stay with Washington, but tomorrow is not guaranteed.  He could suffer a injury, have a stroke, get hit by a bus, or just start sucking. I’d take the money. 

The draft has been off our radar for a few years. Fuck Manfred. The Astros will pick  #28, 64, 80 tonight. Looking at a few mock drafts, there is a curious lack of pitching at the top. Here’s what MLB Pipeline has to say
28. Astros
Callis: Jordan Beck, OF, Tennessee (No. 23)
The Astros are another club that could dip into the deep college outfielder pool with Beck, Thompson, Spencer Jones, Melton or Stanford's Brock Jones. They also could shop in the Tommy John surgery bin (Lesko, Mississippi State right-hander Landon Sims) and could consider Tidwell, who missed the first six weeks of the season with shoulder problems.

I have spent 0.0 seconds researching the draft, but feel very strongly that we should get Kumar Rocker and Melendez.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I have spent 0.0 seconds researching the draft, but feel very strongly that we should get Kumar Rocker and Melendez.

Keith Law has Kumar going late teens, early 20’s.  He thinks Ivan lasts until late second round but I bet someone dreams on him and picks him earlier.  

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

He’s not cracking the rotation unless we have a couple of injuries 

he might not be a locker room fit here. Know your role !  He could be very nice trade bait

hello Soto !

He can be a very good second-half addition to the bullpen as a power arm.

• Like 1

Rome stirring shit up again

We have the best starting pitching depth in the league, unfortunate luck for Brown. “We think it is better for your development to stay on a routine schedule rather than piecemeal low-leverage appearances during a pennant race” is a really freakin’ easy thing to understand.

(Blaming Rome moreso than Brown, here.)

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

If he was a bullpen, they would have called him up instead of brown ?

Astros have pick 80 and 103 

it makes sense to keep Brown on his scheduled work as a starter, but that arm will be an asset later in the season out of the bullpen.

• Like 1

Yep we should take a flyer on Rocker.

There are talks that some playoff teams may draft him to bring him up this season to be on playoff roster.

Not saying we would do that, but I would still take him if he is available
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

He can be a very good second-half addition to the bullpen as a power arm.

And click is on record as saying he’s never seen anything to indicate that is harmful to a guys development. So the FO is in on that. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

37 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

More so than LMJ ?

You and 50% of Astros fandomnkeep pushing this but LMJ and the front office have both been incredibly clear, multiple times he’s coming back to start and reading between the lines they don’t think his arm would benefit by having to bounce back and forth with irregular work. 
They want him to maximize his value, pitch on a schedule and bring the most value to the team. That’s all done as a starter. 

• Hook 'Em 1