2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Gilbert is a tool. Probably not even a useful one. Why we'd use our first pick on that guy I have no idea. Might as well try to make amends by drafting Melendez. 

Not a great argument against him

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Used to be 12 months.  No idea now. 

Was cut down to 2 days after the World Series in 2015 to keep from wasting development time as a PTBNL, and I believe that caveat has been removed since then.  As long as they’re under contract, they’re eligible to be moved.

• Hook 'Em 1

Drew Gilbert, OF, Tennessee: The Astros used their first first-round pick in years on Tennessee outfielder Drew Gilbert. He's a high-energy outfielder who should stick in center field. Scouts had reservations about his bat, meaning he could end up being a fourth-outfielder type if his offense falls on the low end of his projections

5 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Drew Gilbert, OF, Tennessee: The Astros used their first first-round pick in years on Tennessee outfielder Drew Gilbert. He's a high-energy outfielder who should stick in center field. Scouts had reservations about his bat, meaning he could end up being a fourth-outfielder type if his offense falls on the low end of his projections

Uh oh.

we already have 3 of those….

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Law had him #18

18. Drew Gilbert, OF, Tennessee

Gilbert was a two-way prospect out of a Minnesota high school but had a strong commitment to Tennessee, so he wasn’t drafted until the hometown Twins took him in the 35th round in 2019. He’s only thrown 16 innings for the Vols, none this spring, but he’s turned into a premium defensive center fielder with a strong eye at the plate and ability to hit for average. Gilbert rarely swings and misses, staying back even through contact, with minimal weight transfer — possibly an avenue for a player development group to try to get another half-grade of power out of him. In center, he’s a 6 defender with a 6 arm, doing it more with reads and instincts than pure speed, as he’s just a tick above average as a runner. The defense and contact skills give him a good chance to be a regular, although there’d have to be something more — more power, greater patience — to make him a star.

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Gilbert is a tool. Probably not even a useful one. Why we'd use our first pick on that guy I have no idea. Might as well try to make amends by drafting Melendez. 

My guess is his toolish behavior will be nipped in the bud should he play with the current Astros core. They will not tolerate that shit. Siri likely would be a bigger tool if not for the clubhouse.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

My guess is his toolish behavior will be nipped in the bud should he play with the current Astros core. They will not tolerate that shit. Siri likely would be a bigger tool if not for the clubhouse.

I personally say fuck all that. Let the kids play.

Home Run Time GIF by MLB

Edited by rvm96
Auto correct

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Jacob Melton Oregon. Another OF

Law:

25. Jacob Melton, OF, Oregon State

Melton has hit .371/.435/.680 for the Beavers over the last two years, taking off after a small tweak by OSU coach Darwin Barney (yep, that one) helped him stay back on the ball more and use the whole field rather than swinging early to try to pull everything. He’s a premium athlete with plus speed, stealing 29 bases in 31 attempts since the start of 2021, and projects to stay in center, where his above-average power gives him a chance to be a strong regular, maybe more. His hands travel a long way due to a high hand load, but he accelerates quickly and gets power from his wrists and from huge hip rotation. He also hasn’t shown a platoon split, unusual for a left-handed amateur batter. He’ll turn 22 about eight weeks after the draft, so he’s on the older side for a college junior, but the speed/power/centerfield combo with production in a power five conference could help him slide into the back of the first round.

• Like 1

If the Astros already have a deal with the kid from Tennessee, then it's likely under slot. From the interview with the Houston media, it was apparent this kid just wants to get into the org and start playing. I think the Astros being halfway into their window and the glaring fucking hole in CF is enticing to him.