2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

As much as i would like to see JV tomorrow I was hoping this was the case.

JV and Framber just need to head to Seattle.

Also no reason to give the Yankees a free look at JVs stuff. They can see it in the ALCS if the Yankees get there
  • Hook 'Em 1

The rules change committee has begun meeting to discuss and recommend rule changes for 2023. It’s widely believed that a pitch clock, bigger bases and a shift ban will be the result. 
The Astros are heavy users of the shift defensively. But they have a couple of players who should benefit big time. How big an effect do y’all think a shift ban will have on Yordan and Tucker’s numbers?

3 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

MLB obviously wants more scoring if they're trying to eliminate defensive shifting. I haven't listened to any of the discussion, but why not bring back the livelier ball instead? Let the defense play seven infielders if they wish. 

I don’t know if they want more scoring per se - I think they want more hits, they don’t want every ground ball to be an out. I was watching the 1992 ALCS last night while trying to go to sleep (I know, I’m a degenerate) and the game was so different - grounders up the middle were hits, guys tried to steal bases a lot, etc. I think the thinking is that disallowing the shift would get us back to a little more of that. I don’t know if it’ll work or if we should try to make it work, but that seems to be the idea.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I don’t know if they want more scoring per se - I think they want more hits, they don’t want every ground ball to be an out. I was watching the 1992 ALCS last night while trying to go to sleep (I know, I’m a degenerate) and the game was so different - grounders up the middle were hits, guys tried to steal bases a lot, etc. I think the thinking is that disallowing the shift would get us back to a little more of that. I don’t know if it’ll work or if we should try to make it work, but that seems to be the idea.

It will make the game so much better to eliminate the shift. Hard hit balls up the middle being hits will make me so happy to see again. Best left handed hitters in the game not hitting 250 anymore. More stolen bases would be great too. Pitch clock will be awesome. This is going to be really really good for the fans. I know people will bitch bc that’s what they do, but more action, more plays, more steals and faster game times will be great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

MLB obviously wants more scoring if they're trying to eliminate defensive shifting. I haven't listened to any of the discussion, but why not bring back the livelier ball instead? Let the defense play seven infielders if they wish. 

I don’t think more home runs makes for a more exciting game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Why punish the defense and not the hitters that are incapable of hitting the ball the other way? 

This smacks of those years the NBA rigged games for scorers and the offense by not allowing teams to play zone defense. Force hitters to adapt and punish defenses for the shift.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

Why punish the defense and not the hitters that are incapable of hitting the ball the other way? 

This smacks of those years the NBA rigged games for scorers and the offense by not allowing teams to play zone defense. Force hitters to adapt and punish defenses for the shift.

I've always thought the easiest solution is to make guys earning millions of dollars to play baseball learn how to bunt to third consistently. That will stop a shift quicker than anything. No, instead they just keep trying to crank out homers and hit .220.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

if this is a serious post, then they should start allowing lefties to run to 3rd instead of 1st.  the shift is inherently weighted to favor righties (or at least to punish lefties) because of where the 1st baseman plays.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

How big an effect do y’all think a shift ban will have on Yordan and Tucker’s numbers?

damage, inc is going public.

18 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t think more home runs makes for a more exciting game. 

Probably would for some fans. I'm ambivalent about that part of it, as well as the whole shifting thing in general. 

How might a lack of shifting speed up the game? More baserunners would seem to only slow it down, even if there aren't 100 pickoff attempts every night. 

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

As much as i would like to see JV tomorrow I was hoping this was the case.

JV and Framber just need to head to Seattle.

Also no reason to give the Yankees a free look at JVs stuff. They can see it in the ALCS if the Yankees get there

100% this 

Also, JV is a terminator on the road. Time to to put the M’s In their place. The weekend series is almost sold out 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

24 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

I know this is probably the majority opinion right now and mine is the minority but all I will say is avoid thinking about it in moral or “should/should not” terms and just think- would I rather see the average team hit 220 or 280 and the game is a lot more fun at 280. Jmo. 

18 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if this is a serious post, then they should start allowing lefties to run to 3rd instead of 1st.  the shift is inherently weighted to favor righties (or at least to punish lefties) because of where the 1st baseman plays.

The shift is only "weighted" to address a hitter's tendencies. Right or left. If there's a high probability a hitter is going to pull the ball, why should an infielder not be allowed to at least attempt to take that away from that hitter? Punishing the shift is just as egregious and just putting your thumb on the scale of the offense because batters can't or won't adjust. It's akin to telling the corner infielders they can't guard the line because it might take away an extra base hit.

If you're tired of seeing batters pound balls into the shift or potential hits being cut off by infielders playing up the middle or in shallow right field, blame the hitters that don't take advantage of the wide open spaces the defense is giving them.

32 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Probably would for some fans. I'm ambivalent about that part of it, as well as the whole shifting thing in general. 

How might a lack of shifting speed up the game? More baserunners would seem to only slow it down, even if there aren't 100 pickoff attempts every night. 

It’s not about length of game so much as lack of action. An emphasis on 3 true outcomes+base hits being gobbled up means that there’s nothing going on except increasingly longer at bats most of the time.

36 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Main thing. Secondary is you should see slightly more steal attempts. Slightly less space between the bases combined with less chance of losing contact with the base. 

Do you think any of this motion towards enlarging bases is at least partially motivated by a desire to cut down on collisions, particularly at first?

What are the chances that someday we see MLB w/ two bases at first base, a la softball? One for the first baseman that's in fair territory and the other for the runner in foul territory -- on either side of the baseline. . .  ridiculous, yes, but can you rule anything out these days?

Edited by Saint Tacky
can't type for shit

3 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

What are the chances that someday we see MLB w/ two bases at first base, a la softball? One for the first baseman that's in fair territory and the other for the runner in foul territory -- on either side of the baseline. . .  ridiculous, yes, but can you rule anything out these days?

MLB/Rob Manfred wants the safety base, so very likely. 

It also may have a unintended negative consequence on offense overall. If there is no shift allowed, clubs may weight more value in defensive players as they cover more ground and can get outs.. No longer can you stack poor defenders who can mash all on one side of the field with his teammates. So if more and more clubs start stacking up on Adam Everetts, there will be less offense. 

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

Why is there defensive three seconds in the NBA?  Or the protected circle?  Neither is needed, it they clog the paint, shoot better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

The rules change committee has begun meeting to discuss and recommend rule changes for 2023. It’s widely believed that a pitch clock, bigger bases and a shift ban will be the result. 
The Astros are heavy users of the shift defensively. But they have a couple of players who should benefit big time. How big an effect do y’all think a shift ban will have on Yordan and Tucker’s numbers?

I hate the fucking pitch clock. Especially if it’s like college where you can step off and make a half ass fake pickoff to reset. I don’t think the game moves too slowly either so I really don’t see the point 

11 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

Do you think any of this motion towards enlarging bases is at least partially motivated by a desire to cut down on collisions, particularly at first?

Yes/ player safety is #1 which is why I responded with “main thing.”  
safety is good if you doesn’t detract from the game. I guess what I’d say about two bases, the one for the runner in foul territory is does it make the game worse or change how it’s played?  I honestly don’t know. 
if  it doesn’t I’d think I don’t care one way or another but maybe I’d hate it. Can’t imagine loving it. 

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

he’s a fucking idiot. The game changes / evolves naturally

He wants MLB to be the least contact sport in America.  Just adding the safety bag at first should eliminate most collisions between runner and defensive player. 

7 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

I hate the fucking pitch clock. Especially if it’s like college where you can step off and make a half ass fake pickoff to reset. I don’t think the game moves too slowly either so I really don’t see the point 

3:30 and 3:45 9 inning games are brutal. If they can get it down under 3 that’s great. A crisply played 2:30 or 2:45 game is awesome. 
Supposedly they might be looking at limiting step off/pickoff. 
Everyone who has experienced this game, players, managers, fans etc swear by it. Say it’s so much better. 

28 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

The shift is only "weighted" to address a hitter's tendencies. Right or left. If there's a high probability a hitter is going to pull the ball, why should an infielder not be allowed to at least attempt to take that away from that hitter? Punishing the shift is just as egregious and just putting your thumb on the scale of the offense because batters can't or won't adjust. It's akin to telling the corner infielders they can't guard the line because it might take away an extra base hit.

If you're tired of seeing batters pound balls into the shift or potential hits being cut off by infielders playing up the middle or in shallow right field, blame the hitters that don't take advantage of the wide open spaces the defense is giving them.

I used to think this way, but the shift really is unfair to LH hitters.  For a large percentage of players, power comes mostly when they pull the ball.  

RH hitters are not forced to adjust to the shift and can hit more frequently with their naturally more powerful pull swing.  LH hitters are forced to adjust to the shift more and give up that natural power to the pull side.  A fair sport should not have an inherent advantage in the primary offensive activity based on left- or right-handedness.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

he’s a fucking idiot. The game changes / evolves naturally

The safety bag will also make the the runner’s lane in foul territory make sense.  Why does the runner’s lane not actually intersect with the bag? It’s tangential.  To be safe, the runner has to break the rule in the last few strides so they can actually touch the bag.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

The safety bag will also make the the runner’s lane in foul territory make sense.  Why does the runner’s lane not actually intersect with the bag? It’s tangential.  To be safe, the runner has to break the rule in the last few strides so they can actually touch the bag.  

That’s been my gripe. If you have to run to first in foul ground, the first base bag should extend