2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

50 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Nolan DeVos

DeVos has been somewhat of a popup prospect this spring for Davidson after he was a walk-on his freshman year. He consistently has been one of the nations leaders in strikeouts throughout the spring season. This is due to his above average fastball/slider mix which generates whiffs in all quadrants of the zone. DeVos has a deceptive operation that analytically driven teams covet, as he releases from a lower release height and still creates lift on his four seam fastball up in the zone. This was displayed during his outing as he was able to attack Bonaventure hitters up in the zone and generated whiffs. His fastball sat in the 89-92 range, which is a couple of ticks down from earlier in the year when he would sit in the mid 90s. It is important to note that he has been primarily used as a reliever during his collegiate career and the additional workload may be a factor for the slight decrease in velocity. Additionally, he had to battle suboptimal weather conditions as there were 40mph winds as well as precipitation factored in with below 40 degree weather.  He showed excellent command of his sweeping slider which darted away from right handed hitters and was not afraid to triple up on the offering. He also dropped in a couple of curveballs or “dumpers” early in counts to work ahead of hitters, as well as flashing a changeup to left-hand hitters. The only blemish on his line came when he left a fastball up over the heart of the plate to a right handed hitter who was able to get on plane and drive the pitch over the left field wall. Despite the long ball, he rebounded nicely to strikeout the next two batters he faced. DeVos worked from a very quick tempo on the hill and was very efficient with his pitches as he made quick use of hitters and rarely worked deep counts. There is a lot to like in the analytical profile with DeVos and if he can show that he can gain back some of his velocity, he figures to hear his name called in the 8-10 round range. 

"Additionally, he had to battle suboptimal weather conditions as there were 40mph winds as well as precipitation factored in with below 40 degree weather."

Anyone who can throw well in that is worth a shot. 

6-4 215 reliever. I want this guy in the system, asap 

In his first season with Kentucky, the 6-foot-4 pitcher out of Lexington (Ky.) Lafayette produced a historic campaign. Tyler Guilfoil logged 51 innings out of the bullpen with a 1.59 ERA and an outstanding 0.86 WHIP. The reliever led the Wildcats in strikeouts (80) and opponent batting average (.156). Down the stretch, the closer was huge for Kentucky as he clinched wins against Tennessee, Auburn, and Vanderbilt to end the year.

Edited by tx 3 putt

Brett Gillis ..

Gillis – who becomes the first Pilot to ever win a major conference award – has been one of the top pitchers in the nation all year long. A semifinalist for the National Pitcher of the Year Award, Gillis has posted a 9-1 record and a 1.65 ERA across 13 starts for the Pilots. Both of those totals rank first in the WCC, with his win total ranking 10th in the nation and his ERA good for sixth. Among pitchers with at least 60 innings pitched, Gillis is third in the nation in ERA.

Gillis ranks towards the top both nationally and in conference in several other categories as well. He is first in the WCC in hits allowed per nine innings (5.93) and WHIP (1.01). He is 17th and 34th in the nation in those respective categories as well. The Everett, Wash. native is also third in the conference (12th nationally) in strikeouts at 111, ranks fourth in strikeouts per nine innings (12.18) and fifth in strikeout-to-walk ratio (3.83).

10 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I mean do we have a shot with Soto? Doesn’t seem like the Astros style to sign a huge contract and he’s more likely a dodger or yankee or Red Sox type guy. 

Well, first he's still got 2 years after this one of team control. So, you would have to trade for him. Then you would likely be looking to flip him at the 2024 deadline because he's not resigning with the Astros after turning down $440M from the Nationals.

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Well, first he's still got 2 years after this one of team control. So, you would have to trade for him. Then you would likely be looking to flip him at the 2024 deadline because he's not resigning with the Astros after turning down $440M from the Nationals.

Gotcha. I don’t pay that much attention to all of that and just watch Astros games. I saw people saying they want Soto and I saw he turned down that shit load of a offer so wasn’t sure. Pretty sure he will stay a nat till he’s a free agent then end up a yankee or Red Sox guy. 

28 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Gotcha. I don’t pay that much attention to all of that and just watch Astros games. I saw people saying they want Soto and I saw he turned down that shit load of a offer so wasn’t sure. Pretty sure he will stay a nat till he’s a free agent then end up a yankee or Red Sox guy. 

Dodgers or Mets are more likely. The Yankees under Hal don't break the bank, I also don't see Chaim breaking the bank with the Red Sox. Yankees will struggle to resign Judge and Boegarts is likely leaving Boston. Dodgers don't give a fuck, and Cohen is set on buying a championship.

32 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:
yankees are going to open the vault for him. Just watch 

It is going to be fascinating. If a team trades for him, they’ll have two years to try to sign him to an extension. So maybe the Yankees or the Mets or the Dodgers are willing to give him $500mm…but are they willing to give him that money AND the kind of prospects it’ll take to pull off a trade for him? That’s a fuckton of value. So what’s the value tied to being the only team who can negotiate with him for a while? 

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-take-michael-knorr-with-first-day-2-mlb-draft-pick

Good quote in there from Astros scouting director. 

“You definitely have some older college players throughout the game,” Gross said. “I think it’s just kind of the climate we’re in with that extra [COVID] year. Still, there was some quality depth in the mid-majors and we look to capitalize on that this year.”

48 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-take-michael-knorr-with-first-day-2-mlb-draft-pick

Good quote in there from Astros scouting director. 

“You definitely have some older college players throughout the game,” Gross said. “I think it’s just kind of the climate we’re in with that extra [COVID] year. Still, there was some quality depth in the mid-majors and we look to capitalize on that this year.”

i dont care if we're signing college, hs or international players.....just sign talent we can develop and keep this machine going 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

In the NFL it’s nearly impossible to win a championship without an elite QB, and since at any time there are about 10 of them teams have to pay $40M+.

I’m sure some better baseball fans than me will clap back at this with counter examples, but how often does paying an MLB player $300-500M guaranteed or $40M+ per year a good ROI? The Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodger were infamous for how much $/win they spent compared to other good teams. Trout is/was the best player, and the Angels aren’t winning shit while paying him and Rendon mega bucks. Half this board was irate that Houston didn’t offer more to Carlos than they did, but it’s hard to argue as of today that Peña isn’t a way better value. 

Fuck Scott Boras. Let other teams get saddled with these contracts that look horrible in a couple years and drag franchises down. The Dodgers and Yankees can only sign so many guys to those contracts, maybe it’s time for the other teams to put their feet down and not give in to the demands of a 0.250 hitter that expects to get 40% of an average team’s payroll for the next 10 years. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

.293/.427/.561 lifetime. And he’s 23. 

I realize all that. It's a joke. But at this moment, in 2022 he's a .250 hitter, pretty much with the same stats as Tucker. Obviously an even more talented player who's two years younger.  

55 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

In the NFL it’s nearly impossible to win a championship without an elite QB, and since at any time there are about 10 of them teams have to pay $40M+.

I’m sure some better baseball fans than me will clap back at this with counter examples, but how often does paying an MLB player $300-500M guaranteed or $40M+ per year a good ROI? The Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodger were infamous for how much $/win they spent compared to other good teams. Trout is/was the best player, and the Angels aren’t winning shit while paying him and Rendon mega bucks. Half this board was irate that Houston didn’t offer more to Carlos than they did, but it’s hard to argue as of today that Peña isn’t a way better value. 

Fuck Scott Boras. Let other teams get saddled with these contracts that look horrible in a couple years and drag franchises down. The Dodgers and Yankees can only sign so many guys to those contracts, maybe it’s time for the other teams to put their feet down and not give in to the demands of a 0.250 hitter that expects to get 40% of an average team’s payroll for the next 10 years. 

Ok, counterpoints:

1) Soto is 23. This isn’t anything like giving a 31 year old Albert Pujols a 10-year deal. Signing him now gets you what figures to be the entire prime of his career.

2) you have to consider just how good of a hitter the guy is. What he’s done at such a young age puts him in the most elite of elite company in the history of baseball.

3) Trout’s deal isn’t the reason that the Angels can’t get out of their own way. They paid a ton for Rendon despite his injury history…and lo and behold, he’s been injured for most of his time there. They took on Justin Upton’s contract. They paid geriatric Pujols $30 million for several years. The Trout deal is fine, it’s all the other dumb decisions they’ve made that have been the problem. The Rangers got lambasted for the A-Rod deal, but it turned out that that wasn’t a bad contract at all. $25 million at the end of that deal was not $25 million at the beginning, just as $40 million in 2022 won’t be $40 million in 2037.

Signing Soto doesn’t guarantee a team will become a winner; any club will obviously have to have a good team around him. And I totally agree that there is a good argument to be made that tying up that much money in any player is too risky. But given the Tatis and Lindor contracts…why wouldn’t Soto ask for more? That’s just the market.

If it were me, I’d probably not tie up that much money into one guy. But I don’t think it’s necessarily foolish to do so if you are, say, Cohen and the Mets. That’s a good team, and a guy like Soto in that lineup makes them a lot better. It takes some spotlight away from the Yankees. And it doesn’t necessarily cripple them from a payroll perspective- they may decide they’ll just pay the luxury tax for a while like the Dodgers have.

Again, what I find more interesting is whether they’re willing to pay Soto, the luxury tax, and the prospects it would take to get him now and start negotiating. Now you’re talking about paying him way more than the $500 million.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

If you have the chance to add a generational talent like Soto, you do it unless the prospect price significantly impacts your long term competitiveness. Flags fly forever.

I care less about the $500M (and luxury tax), that's what insurance is for.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

is he requiring that he signs an extension the moment he gets moved, because i had not heard that. 

Something I asked in the MLB thread was why should Soto have a say on where he goes? Washington is going to go for the best package, period. Initial reaction might be that would come from the team that could lock him up long term but is that really the case?  He’s a great value in the next 2 1/2 years while in arbitration but does that value really increase a lot when that team is locked into paying him  $35M/yr. for the next 15 years?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

is he requiring that he signs an extension the moment he gets moved, because i had not heard that. 

I don’t think so; I’m just speculating that a team that has an interest in signing him to a megadeal may be more incentivized to trade for him, so that they get a 2-year head start in trying to negotiate the megadeal.

For example, if you’re the Yankees, would you be willing to spend a little more in prospect capital to acquire him, knowing that if you don’t, the Mets might trade for him and then have exclusive ability to extend him for the next 2 years…in which case you may never get the opportunity to sign him. Maybe not, but it seems like that would have some value to them.

But yeah, Washington shouldn’t care; they should obviously get as much as they can, whether that’s from the Mets or the Yankees or the Rays.