2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I have no clue how they calculate defensive metrics, but I know that any number that says Pena is a better shortstop than Correa isn't worth considering.  You can't watch baseball everyday and think they are even comparable.  Correa is better at literally everything.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Which is where it gets really weird b/c they have pretty close to the same number of plate appearances and Correa's OPS is 70 or 80 points higher. So the difference in War is all baserunning and defense and Pena doesn't swipe a ton of bags and we've already talked about defense. It doesn't make any sense to me how those numbers get to where they are.  I'm not saying they are wrong, just I don't understand.  

At any rate, as much as I love Carlos he's not worth $34M more during the regular season, but it would be really nice if Pena learned how to hit or lay off a slider between here and there or he's going to get chewed up and spit out in the playoffs.  Carlos was an 850 OPS guy in the playoffs so that would be a big fucking problem unless Bregman, Tucker, Altuve and Alvarez want to go ahead and get hot and carry the team, while Mancini, and catcher chip in and Yuli and Chas and Diaz want to come back from the dead.  But, this lineup feels awful shallow and we are really going to need our big dogs to eat.  Or have much better lineup making decisions, construction, and some production from places it doesn't look trustworthy from right now.  

All those guys can get hot for sure, including Pena. Think about the slaps that have been hot in the playoffs and have beat us. Joc Petersen, Adam Eaton, Jorge Soler, Eddie Rosaro.. The list goes on. Its about making the playoffs... how to tell who goes on a heater at that right exact moment is damn near impossible. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I think pena has it in him to improve.

No doubt. His ceiling is lower than Correa or he wouldn’t be a 25 year old rookie, but I’m impressed with his floor and you’d have to see this season has both 1) been a huge success for him and 2) shown that he’s got some real areas he needs to improve to become a borderline all star/ solid contributernon a championship team. His makeup is really good and I bet he gets there. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is the answer. They aren’t a great team. They aren’t a really good team. They are an ok team in a division without a really good team and with 2 garbage teams.  

Preseason predictions had them as a .500 team and they’re currently running only slightly better than that

• Hook 'Em 1

while we currently don’t have much to play for re: October positioning, a lot of teams are going through Houston on the road to the wild card: 

3 vs Twins

7 vs O’s

6 vs Rays

3 vs Phillies 

with 4 vs O’s, 6 vs Rays and 3 vs Phillies all happening in the final 2.5 weeks of the season 

Edited by UTexasFight

10 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

while we currently don’t have much to play for re: October positioning, a lot of teams are going through Houston on the road to the wild card: 

3 vs Twins

7 vs O’s

6 vs Rays

3 vs Phillies 

with 4 vs O’s, 6 vs Rays and 3 vs Phillies all happening in the final 2.5 weeks of the season 

I'm rooting for the O's and Twins to make the playoffs. If the baseball God's offered me a 29-10 finish to the season where we went 0-10 against those 2 teams I would explode with excitement.  I mean, I'm rooting for 39-0 finishing kick of course- but 29-10 would be just fine (That would be 107 wins- we are currently on a 103 win pace).  

Reminder- 101-61 gets us to 500 all time record as a franchise- we are currently 7 games under all time.

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Correa, bad bunny, The Astros Foundation and players (Yordan Alvarez, José Altuve, Martín Maldonado, Yuli Gurriel, Aledmys Díaz, Alex Cintrón, José Urquidy)….really helping a uvalde survivor.

https://www.kiiitv.com/article/sports/carlos-correa-uvalde-survivor-return-minute-maid-park/

https://abc13.com/carlos-correa-foundation-uvalde-shooting-survivor-mayah-zamora-minnesota-twins/

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm rooting for the O's and Twins to make the playoffs. If the baseball God's offered me a 29-10 finish to the season where we went 0-10 against those 2 teams I would explode with excitement.

Right there with you, especially if it means Seattle is the team left out. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

yeah, there's a really good chance that this works out badly for both correa and minnesota.  that situation is kinda rare.

It's pass/fail for Minny. If they make the playoffs it was worth it, if not it wasn't.  He stayed healthy at least, reasonably so.  No back issue.  That will be the best you could say for him about it.  I wouldn't mind them making the playoffs as the 6 seed and then him going Beltran in 04 on the Yanks. 

I’m already sick of all the Correa hype. Dude is gone. If you ain’t here who cares. He was only here 7 years not a career, and he’s only been an All Star twice and missed a load of games. I know I’m in the minority but I don’t miss him. I miss Springer much more. The hole he left in the outfield still isn’t filled. Correa is hyped because he was a first overall pick and liked to toot his own horn. But I’m fine with Peña and $34 million in payroll saved. I will now take my beating from the Correa marks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I’m already sick of all the Correa hype. Dude is gone. If you ain’t here who cares. He was only here 7 years not a career, and he’s only been an All Star twice and missed a load of games. I know I’m in the minority but I don’t miss him. I miss Springer much more. The hole he left in the outfield still isn’t filled. Correa is hyped because he was a first overall pick and liked to toot his own horn. But I’m fine with Peña and $34 million in payroll saved. I will now take my beating from the Correa marks.

agree with you 100%, but ill be there tonight to give him a standing 'O'. he was a GREAT astro and will always be an astro to me

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I thought we were friends man, we can't be friends anymore.

I don't think you are in the minority at all if we are being honest.  I would argue that Correa is not nearly as beloved by the majority of the fanbase as he ought to be for what he did here. I too miss Springer big time too.  If Jose Altuve doesn't retire and Astro that will be more gutting than the other two.  I root for Correa in all his future endeavors that don't hurt the Astros. Just like Springer, or Gattis, or Reddick or anyone other than Mike Fucking Fiers.  But I think if you did a straw poll of our fans most of them would be fine with him having moved on.  Pre seeing what happens in October anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

he was a great astro.  we're a great team with or without him.  i miss him and springer, but am totally fine with our current situation.

all of these can be true at the same time.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I thought we were friends man, we can't be friends anymore.

I don't think you are in the minority at all if we are being honest.  I would argue that Correa is not nearly as beloved by the majority of the fanbase as he ought to be for what he did here. I too miss Springer big time too.  If Jose Altuve doesn't retire and Astro that will be more gutting than the other two.  I root for Correa in all his future endeavors that don't hurt the Astros. Just like Springer, or Gattis, or Reddick or anyone other than Mike Fucking Fiers.  But I think if you did a straw poll of our fans most of them would be fine with him having moved on.  Pre seeing what happens in October anyway. 

Altuve deserves, and will deserve, all this hype that Correa is getting. He will have spent a career here busting his ass, baserunning blunders or not, to make this team better from ground up. I’m not a Correa hater by any means and he was heck of a player while here, when he played. Somehow this welcome doesn’t match a 2 time all star who missed a bunch of games. Some under mysterious circumstances. Maybe I am a hater. I don’t know. Not trying to be. But I’m the kind of guy that you’re either with me or against me. He’s gone. Jeremy Peña is my shortstop and this is my team. 2019 Astros are gone. Save all the videos and crap til everybody is in street clothes. Hope we can still be friends 😂 

23 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Correa is hyped because he was a first overall pick and liked to toot his own horn.

Gonna have to disagree with this - he’s hyped (and was a first overall pick) because he’s extremely talented and, when healthy, was extremely productive. If not for his inability to stay healthy from 2017-2019, he’d be on a clear HOF trajectory. When he’s played, he’s more or less been Cal Ripken (oh, the irony there). 

27 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

But I’m fine with Peña and $34 million in payroll saved. I will now take my beating from the Correa marks.

That said, I agree here. CC’s inability to stay healthy has been a thing, and it makes signing him to a long-term deal really risky. 

24 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Altuve deserves, and will deserve, all this hype that Correa is getting. He will have spent a career here busting his ass, baserunning blunders or not, to make this team better from ground up. I’m not a Correa hater by any means and he was heck of a player while here, when he played. Somehow this welcome doesn’t match a 2 time all star who missed a bunch of games. Some under mysterious circumstances. Maybe I am a hater. I don’t know. Not trying to be. But I’m the kind of guy that you’re either with me or against me. He’s gone. Jeremy Peña is my shortstop and this is my team. 2019 Astros are gone. Save all the videos and crap til everybody is in street clothes. Hope we can still be friends 😂 

we good

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I think the Stros got cute after Springer left. They figured Brantley, Tucker, and Yordan would cover up any production issues in CF. Gilbert is a possible solution, but I bet he doesn’t get called up until after the Super 2 in 2024. 

They should have signed a decent stick for CF after Springer left. It’s become a 2 year problem that could easily go into 4 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

They should have signed a decent stick for CF after Springer left. It’s become a 2 year problem that could easily go into 4 years. 

It wasn’t much of a problem in 2021 - the Straw/Chas/Meyers combo yielded above-average production. This year has been a different story. I don’t disagree about the need to go get a real CF - I’m a Meyers skeptic (even when he’s healthy) and I doubt Leon and his 27% K rate in AAA is the answer any time soon. 

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

It wasn’t much of a problem in 2021 - the Straw/Chas/Meyers combo yielded above-average production. This year has been a different story. I don’t disagree about the need to go get a real CF - I’m a Meyers skeptic (even when he’s healthy) and I doubt Leon and his 27% K rate in AAA is the answer any time soon. 

Chas seems like an above average CF to me. Corners are easier to fill. If it’s not Meyers or Leon you could do worse than Chas out there imo. 

Correa earned every ounce of the Htown love affair Astros fans grew into with him and let's not forget that he took a lot of shit for his injuries over the years but goddamn he was a GREAT playoff producer and true clubhouse leader. He will always hold a place in my heart as the guy who told all the haters to shut the fuck up in the course of defending Jose Altuve. Correa deserves all the respect on that basis alone. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Chas seems like an above average CF to me. Corners are easier to fill. If it’s not Meyers or Leon you could do worse than Chas out there imo. 

Agree on Chas. I know I keep beating this drum, but he’s got a 112 wRC+ in a full season’s worth of ABs and he’s good defensively. But Dusty inexplicably seems to like to keep Dubon’s bat in the lineup. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Who among us Astros fans doesn't want to run through a wall for that Astro after reading those words? The specificity of detail, the passionate defense of his teammate and friend.....only to follow it up later that year by challenging that bitchass Joe Kelly to meet him like a man on the field and then later taking him deep at Dodger Stadium......

Carlos Correa is a forever Astro. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Correa earned every ounce of the Htown love affair Astros fans grew into with him and let's not forget that he took a lot of shit for his injuries over the years but goddamn he was a GREAT playoff producer and true clubhouse leader. He will always hold a place in my heart as the guy who told all the haters to shut the fuck up in the course of defending Jose Altuve. Correa deserves all the respect on that basis alone. 

As a fan of the Astros teams that routinely came up short in the postseason in the ‘80s, ‘90s, and ‘00s, I respected the heck out of Correa’s playoff performances.

It also should mean something that he’s easily the best shortstop in franchise history.  Who else is really worth mentioning besides pre-injury Dickie Thon?

• Hook 'Em 1