2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Man, after reading this back on Yuli’s hamate issues, it’s 1 million percent what is going on with Yordan.

Didn’t remember Yuli having it as a “pre-existing” condition for several years 

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2018/2/28/17061946/houston-astros-yuli-gurriel-to-undergo-surgery-could-miss-4-8-weeks-hamate-left-hand-la-pina

4 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Man, after reading this back on Yuli’s hamate issues, it’s 1 million percent what is going on with Yordan.

Didn’t remember Yuli having it as a “pre-existing” condition for several years 

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2018/2/28/17061946/houston-astros-yuli-gurriel-to-undergo-surgery-could-miss-4-8-weeks-hamate-left-hand-la-pina

I agree with Yordan waiting until after the season for surgery, but he should be resting more. 

If he had the surgery during the season he’d be out 2 months and he’d come back with very little power. Surgery hopefully in November. Full go in spring training. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I assume trading Brinson for cash was a 40 man roster flexibility move? 

2 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yes

Nope. He was never on the 40. 
my guess is more they were doing him a solid so he could get back to the bigs (teams will do that for Vets with good attitudes) and also they wanted Jake to play every day and the Of was getting kind of crowded. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

my guess is more they were doing him a solid so he could get back to the bigs (teams will do that for Vets with good attitudes) and also they wanted Jake to play every day and the Of was getting kind of crowded. 

Mea culpa. Can’t keep up.

Must  have got him and Solomon mixed up for who was/wasn’t on the 40 man.

solomon was claimed by the pirates, btw.

also, didn’t realize Brinson was a 1st rounder, although the rangers drafted him, so not sure that really counts 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It actually did have to do with the 40 man. He would need to be on the 40 man to not be eligible in the rule 5 after this season so the Astros got something for him.

3 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

It actually did have to do with the 40 man. He would need to be on the 40 man to not be eligible in the rule 5 after this season so the Astros got something for him.

Sure. But they could have done that any time between now and 11/5 or whatever it was. 
I think it was a favor to him for sure more than anything else. And teams should take care of bets like that. Enables them to stash more guys in AAA as insurance policies if you treat guys with significant MLB experience that way. 

5 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Mea culpa. Can’t keep up.

Must  have got him and Solomon mixed up for who was/wasn’t on the 40 man.

solomon was claimed by the pirates, btw.

also, didn’t realize Brinson was a 1st rounder, although the rangers drafted him, so not sure that really counts 

Figured Solomon would get claimed. Basically by the first team eligible to claim him. 
hope he gets it together and has a real career. Liked him down there but the velo loss destroyed his ability to be a viable candidate to come up and make a couple spot starts here and there. 

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

When is Mancini going to start drawing Surly ire?  .196/.257/.424 as an Astro. 32% strikeout rate

Were it not for that immediate HR flurry, he'd have been on a much hotter seat (with us) long before now. He hasn't been contributing much good lately, for sure.