2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

4 minutes ago, Honeysucklerose said:

I get pissed at myself for continuing to watch this B team lineup. If dusty doesn’t care today, neither should I

agreed.  got the game on with no sound and watching Masters on another screen

Goodrum's now 0 for 6 on the season.  Dusty already dropped him from 3rd to 8th today.  What next?  Life comes at you fast.
I know mainly because Yuli out, but the fact he had played this much is fucking rage inducing

Could be prevented if dudes weren't given days off....at the start of a season....in baseball....a game that fat fucks like Vogelbach can play....but i digress

12 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Do y'all get this ragey about lineups and orders every April?

Bro, give it 6 months.

It’ll drive me batshit all season long. But yeah, in the first series of the season, Dusty feels compelled to ensure that everyone gets a day off. Goodrum, who is probably the worst hitter on the team, has started half the team’s games. If Yuli is out, maybe, I don’t know, play Diaz at first and Altuve at second?

I honestly don’t get how an analytically-inclined franchise allows Dusty to do this shit. Their probability of winning today was intentionally and significantly reduced by the manager and the lineup he decided to roll out. Like they’re punting this game for no reason other than to give guys a day off - 3 days into the goddamn season! It’s fucking maddening.

Here’s a good rule of thumb: Altuve, Alvarez, Tucker, Brantley, Yuli, Bregman - don’t sit any of 2 those guys on the same day if you don’t have to. They can all have days off, just don’t do it at the same time. It’s not difficult.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

It’ll drive me batshit all season long. But yeah, in the first series of the season, Dusty feels compelled to ensure that everyone gets a day off. Goodrum, who is probably the worst hitter on the team, has started half the team’s games. If Yuli is out, maybe, I don’t know, play Diaz at first and Altuve at second?

I honestly don’t get how an analytically-inclined franchise allows Dusty to do this shit. Their probability of winning today was intentionally and significantly reduced by the manager and the lineup he decided to roll out. Like they’re punting this game for no reason other than to give guys a day off - 3 days into the goddamn season! It’s fucking maddening.

Here’s a good rule of thumb: Altuve, Alvarez, Tucker, Brantley, Yuli, Bregman - don’t sit any of 2 those guys on the same day if you don’t have to. They can all have days off, just don’t do it at the same time. It’s not difficult.

I'll tell you what analytics doesn't tell you (it probably does), but over 50 years in MLB does...

Limiting players in April, especially when there was almost no spring ball, is going to limit injuries in August and September.

This team does not need to go full throttle in April. I'm pretty sure sucking in April has been a ticket to the WS a time or two (correlation is causation, prove me wrong!)

Don't sweat the April lineup. Seriously.

This team is going to win the division and battle for the 1 seed if the pitching doesn't melt down.

Enjoy the ride.

• Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I'll tell you what analytics doesn't tell you (it probably does), but over 50 years in MLB does...

Limiting players in April, especially when there was almost no spring ball, is going to limit injuries in August and September.

This team does not need to go full throttle in April. I'm pretty sure sucking in April has been a ticket to the WS a time or two (correlation is causation, prove me wrong!)

Don't sweat the April lineup. Seriously.

This team is going to win the division and battle for the 1 seed if the pitching doesn't melt down.

Enjoy the ride.

I hear you, but again - you can give guys a rest, but it’s damn-near professional malpractice to sit 2 of your best players in the same game when another is already out on paternity leave. It’s just dumb. Give one a day off today and another off Tuesday if it’s really that essential to rest them.

I know the days of guys like Bagwell and Biggio playing every single game are long gone, but they can be more strategic than this.

And for the love of god, when Altuve, Brantley and Yuli are out - don’t hit Tucker 6th in the fucking order!

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah. Dusty is going to do Dusty things. He's a very good manager of people. He's been lucky to manage some of the greatest individual talent in baseball history, but there is a reason he's never won in October. It's game 4 and the days off are already fucking stupid, but I kinda understand with the shortened ST. It is just one of those things, 3rd season in with Dusty. 

bwhaahhahahahahahahahahahaha 

urquidy is a fly ball pitcher, dusty rolled out his best defensive outfield. Pretty fucking simple logic

and I still like Siri at leadoff