2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

24 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

JV wants none of this six man rotation business 

As mentioned earlier, JV said he wants to pitch on 4 days rest. Click said they would stay in the 6 man rotation for as long as possible. The rotation management will be interesting. 

Just now, TonyTexas said:

As mentioned earlier, JV said he wants to pitch on 4 days rest. Click said they would stay in the 6 man rotation for as long as possible. The rotation management will be interesting. 

Pitch JV every 5 days. Roll everyone else out there every 6 or 7 until someone gets hurt. 
when LMJ comes back trade 2 of those guys and Brown/Leon for Soto. 
mostly joking on the last part, but we have a log jam. Especially if JV gets locked up long term to be our #2 behind staff ace Forest Whitley. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Pitch JV every 5 days. Roll everyone else out there every 6 or 7 until someone gets hurt. 
mostly joking on the last part, but we have a log jam. Especially if JV gets locked up long term to be our #2 behind staff ace Forest Whitley. 

Man, that would be awesome, but I don't think we have enough talent to get Soto. We have immediate needs at CF/1B/C. Two of those positions are unlikely to be addressed this season. It's crazy we are on pace for 106 wins while carrying a .218 team batting average, which is 14 out of 15 teams, but we are 3rd in both BB and HRs. Likely to be higher after today's two games. I wonder what the DBacks would want for Varsho. He could play CF this year, and take over at catcher next.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Man, that would be awesome, but I don't think we have enough talent to get Soto. We have immediate needs at CF/1B/C. Two of those positions are unlikely to be addressed this season. It's crazy we are on pace for 106 wins while carrying a .218 team batting average, which is 14 out of 15 teams, but we are 3rd in both BB and HRs. Likely to be higher after today's two games. I wonder what the DBacks would want for Varsho. He could play CF this year, and take over at catcher next.

Soto’s only got 1.5 years left, right?) If I was Washington I would gladly do Leon/Brown/Javier/Garcia for him. 
I mean, someone else might pay more and I’d take that if they did, but that would be an offer I definitely accepted if I was them. That’s 20+ years of club control for 2. And they don’t have to pay him probably 40 million to suck. 
only downside is likely no superstar in that group- but that looks like 8 or 10 WAR a season quite possibly, for cheap, for a team going nowhere right now with holes all over the place. 

That would leave the Astros with JV, LMJ, Framber, Urquidy and Odo with Whitley and Bielak and Solomon in AAA that you would think could fill in as back of the rotation guys for a time with Whitley being a wild card as a potential TOR guy. 

Lineup in order would be (in my dream):

Altuve, Soto, Peña, Yordan, Tucker, Bregman, Meyers/Brantley strict platoon, Yuli, catcher. 

That solves all your OF issues for next year. Lee is your catcher. 1B you go get a baller. Odds on favorites to win WS both years with a 20 or so percent chance. Only potential star you might lose out on is Brown, and I say that as a guy that loves Javier and likes Garcia a lot. But they aren’t TOR hammers no matter how good they are. 

• Hook 'Em 2

After how anemic we looked starting 7-9, we're now 3 games ahead of the best Astros squad ever (2019). Amazing to think it's primarily due to our other-wordly starting pitching. 

I have to give a little credit to my Dad, a huge, lifelong Astros fan. A player doesn't really start performing up to his potential until my Dad declares he's "done" with them and doesn't ever want to see them take the field again. He said it for Tucker 2 years ago and did it for Odorizzi earlier this season. 

Just need to coax him into saying he's done with Yuli and he'll end up .270/.380/.450 with 30 HR. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Soto’s only got 1.5 years left, right?) If I was Washington I would gladly do Leon/Brown/Javier/Garcia for him. 
I mean, someone else might pay more and I’d take that if they did, but that would be an offer I definitely accepted if I was them. That’s 20+ years of club control for 2. And they don’t have to pay him probably 40 million to suck. 
only downside is likely no superstar in that group- but that looks like 8 or 10 WAR a season quite possibly, for cheap, for a team going nowhere right now with holes all over the place. 

That would leave the Astros with JV, LMJ, Framber, Urquidy and Odo with Whitley and Bielak and Solomon in AAA that you would think could fill in as back of the rotation guys for a time with Whitley being a wild card as a potential TOR guy. 

Lineup in order would be (in my dream):

Altuve, Soto, Peña, Yordan, Tucker, Bregman, Meyers/Brantley strict platoon, Yuli, catcher. 

That solves all your OF issues for next year. Lee is your catcher. 1B you go get a baller. Odds on favorites to win WS both years with a 20 or so percent chance. Only potential star you might lose out on is Brown, and I say that as a guy that loves Javier and likes Garcia a lot. But they aren’t TOR hammers no matter how good they are. 

You Son of A Bitch, I'm In - Meme Template and Creator

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, texashorne said:

But I was told the sky would be falling when Strom left the team. 

Strom is awesome. He’s working wonders with the DBacks. He got the organization in line and the right guys in place and left it in really good hands. Love that dude. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

You Son of A Bitch, I'm In - Meme Template and Creator

Out of rep. 
It would never happen. I like all 4 of those guys that would be leaving. But that’s a trade that I think both teams would do in a vacuum. 
Everyone always talks about “you can’t have too much pitching but that’s bullshit and the Astros are at that point if LMJ comes back healthy and Whitley and Brown are ready. That makes 7 MOR starters or better (proven at the major league level) and Whitley, Brown, Bielak, and Solomon in AAA that I’m fairly convinced you could see at least two of those guys be MOR or better if not all 4 of them. That’s somewhere between 7 and 11 MLB caliber starters. You’ve got to move some of them to shore up other holes imo. And you have to bring JV back bc he’s the best of the bunch. 

I guess you could turn LMJ into a closer but that seems such a waste. 

if you refuse to trade some of them then I start JV every 5th day and tandem my next best 8 the other 4 days. Then my bullpen would be my best 4 1 inning guys and call it a staff. I don’t love that idea either but I guess that’s Presley, Montero, Nerris and Maton?  You shouldn’t ever have a below average arm out there. 
the Tandems ought to be able to get through every game on their own (you’d think all being starters that would be a combined 180 pitches easy as they’d all be on a normal workload). If that idea sounds crazy (and it probably is) then we have too much pitching but not enough differentiation in the form of an ace. I guess I’d trade like 4 of those guys for an Ace and call it a day. 
Done day dreaming about shit that will never happen now. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Aim higher, trout for Chas and Mayer