2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

The Nats are 4-6 in their last 10 and already 11 games out of first in the NLEast.  Please don't be like last season and have the worst teams just give the Astros hell.

Keep the momentum going!!!  LFG!!!

7 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Watched it live

it was glorious. Got 2 outs on 5 pitches. Then couldn’t find the strike zone. Walked the bases loaded to get to judge. Who drove in two on an infield hit. And they left him to walk another batter before finally yanking him. And all inherited runners scored

man I hate that guy

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Watched it live

it was glorious. Got 2 outs on 5 pitches. Then couldn’t find the strike zone. Walked the bases loaded to get to judge. Who drove in two on an infield hit. And they left him to walk another batter before finally yanking him. And all inherited runners scored

man I hate that guy

same, he had that dumb look on his face when they pulled him hahaha

From The Athletic on the Correa reunion.  Lulz at the 4 Houston legends tweet.

Spoiler

Despite injury, Carlos Correa has enjoyed reunion with ex-teammates Jose Altuve, Alex Bregman

May 3, 2022; Baltimore, Maryland, USA;  Minnesota Twins shortstop Carlos Correa (4) runs off the field after the second inning against the Baltimore Orioles at Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Mandatory Credit: Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports
By Dan Hayes
May 12, 2022

The lack of action this week against his former teammates has been a disappointment for Twins shortstop Carlos Correa. The reunion with them has not.

Monday, Correa aggressively tried to rehab his bruised right finger so he could return to the lineup for a much-anticipated debut against the Houston Astros, his only other team before he joined the Twins in late March on a three-year, $105.3 million deal. But with little progress being made at the time and the Twins in need of a healthy player, Correa was placed on the injured list.

Though his injury certainly dulled the occasion, it also afforded Correa and his beloved ex-teammates more time to catch up. Even though he says he’s moved on from the Astros, his home of seven seasons, Correa intends never to bail on a group of people with whom he has experienced it all.

“Our friendship will never be left behind. But I’m not part of the organization anymore. You’ve got to learn how to move on,” Correa said. “But the relationships you build, they’re way more important than the game itself. The game is going to pass you by, but those relationships are going to stay. So it’s very important to me to keep the relationship with them.”

It should come as no surprise to Astros fans that the first player to reunite with Correa was rehabbing pitcher Lance McCullers Jr., who was selected 40 picks after the shortstop in the supplemental first round of the 2012 amateur draft. Shortly after they were drafted, McCullers encountered Correa in the lobby of the team hotel in Kissimmee, Fla. McCullers offered Correa a ride to the team’s complex, and the two have been friends ever since.

With a day off Monday, McCullers and his family flew ahead of schedule to join Correa and his family.

“I haven’t been as close to anyone as I probably have been with Carlos,” McCullers said. “I never really thought we would be playing in different uniforms, I guess. I was hopeful that wouldn’t be the case. But I tell him all the time, we’ve still got some years on the back end that we’ll try to get back together in the same uni. He’s just someone that was a teammate and became a friend and became basically family.”

In between rehabbing his finger, Correa has spent ample time with the Astros during the series. Tuesday, he stood behind home plate in the early afternoon and spoke to Jose Altuve and Alex Bregman at length. Wednesday, Correa spent time with catcher Martín Maldonado and bench coach Joe Espada.

When asked Sunday whether he still kept tabs on Houston, Correa replied with a sarcastic, “What do you think?”

“I follow the game, follow the box score, watch them whenever I’m at home and they’re playing,” Correa said. “I want them to do good — except when they play us. I want us to win. … Altuve I’ve been playing with my entire career, Lance I’ve been playing with my entire career, Bregman, Yuli (Gurriel). (Kyle) Tucker I saw his debut. Been playing with him ever since he made the debut. All these guys, we’ve grown in the organization. Maldonado is a really good friend of mine. So yeah, they’re family to me.”

Correa’s wide-ranging experiences with his Houston teammates have only cemented their relationships. The team was only one year into its three-season tanking program when Correa was selected with the No. 1 pick in the 2012 MLB Draft. He joined an upstart club on June 8, 2015, and helped the surprising Astros come within a win of reaching the American League Championship Series.

After missing the playoffs in 2016, Houston soared to 101 wins in 2017 and eventually brought the franchise its lone World Series title, topping the Los Angeles Dodgers in seven games. Two years later, the Astros reached the World Series again, losing in seven games to the Washington Nationals. A month later, it was revealed the club had been embroiled in the most infamous sign-stealing scandal in major-league history, which has led to two seasons of trash-can jokes and hearty boos for every player involved at ballparks across baseball. Those experiences helped deepen the bond among teammates who banded together to find more success in the wake of the scandal, reaching the World Series again in 2021.

“It’s definitely weird seeing him in a different uniform,” Bregman said. “But I’m extremely happy about the impact he has on his baseball teams. He’s a leader, such an amazing baseball player and a great teammate. I feel like his presence is a winning presence. (The Twins) got off to a great start. I definitely expect every team he plays on to be a winning team.

“He knows how to motivate. He knows how to get the best out of his teammates. I think that’s why he’s such a great leader for any team that he’s on.”

The Twins definitely would have liked to have Correa available to face Houston. After news broke he was headed to the IL, Correa said he was bummed but called it “a smart decision” because he needed more time to recover.

Bregman made it clear he’s been watching his former teammate. In the eight games before he got hurt, Correa was 14-for-34 with three doubles, a home run and eight RBIs.

“You never want to see anybody get hurt,” Bregman said. “He was just getting hot, and it was fun to watch him swing the bat and play D. He’s going to have an amazing season this year.”

Former teammates suspected Correa’s leadership would translate easily to the Twins. He’s been with the club less than two months and already has made believers in the clubhouse. Whether it’s doing pushups with infielders when they make an error during infield practice, pumping up Byron Buxton or passing along new ideas, Correa has endeared himself to his new teammates.

“I’m a huge fan of analytics, so I wouldn’t want to come off like I’m not,” McCullers said. “What analytics has brought to our game has helped so many guys be recognized. It’s helped a lot of guys become the players they always knew they could be, including myself. But when everything is so numbers-driven, you lose a little bit of clubhouse presence and being a leader. When Carlos got over there, I knew it wouldn’t be long. He’s a born leader and has the track record to back it up. … His genuine interest in seeing other people succeed is rare.”

His interest is so uncommon that Correa spent part of Tuesday’s media session praising his replacement with the Astros, shortstop Jeremy Peña. Knowing his departure from the organization could be coming, last season Correa counseled Peña, who’s off to a strong start.

“From the moment I saw him, I saw the talent in him,” Correa said. “Last year in spring training, I invited him to take some groundballs with me, and while we were taking groundballs, I told him: ‘Hey, look at how we work here. Look at how we take care of business, because next year, this might be you playing this position.’ He gave me a nod. He said, ‘Thank you.’ And then when we finished, when we lost in the World Series, I pulled him aside and I told him: ‘Hey, Peña, next year, this most likely will be your team. You’ll be playing shortstop for this team. It can happen. So go out there in the offseason, prepare yourself like you’re going to play shortstop for this team. Make sure you’re ready to go.’”

No matter where he winds up, Correa knows the bond he formed with his ex-teammates is rare. He’s confident it will extend long beyond the end of their playing careers. And that’s why he couldn’t wait to spend the week with everyone.

“We built a family-type of culture in the clubhouse, and that will last forever,” Correa said. “It doesn’t matter what team we play for during our careers; we will always be brothers.”

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Remind me. Proposed pitch clock. From the moment you release the ball? Or start your delivery?

After the ball is returned to the pitcher. In MiLB pitchers have 14 seconds to release the ball and 18 seconds with runners on base. The batter has to have a foot in the box and ready to hit with no less than 9 seconds on the clock.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

After the ball is returned to the pitcher. In MiLB pitchers have 14 seconds to release the ball and 18 seconds with runners on base. The batter has to have a foot in the box and ready to hit with no less than 9 seconds on the clock.

No wonder umpires no longer can devote any attention to the strike zone. 

11 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I am not sure I will ever be for a legit pitch clock.  

I like it in the minors but then again I don't think it has the desired effect in the games I've watched (all AAA) because in AA and AAA pitchers can step off the mound to reset the clock, which is stupid since it defeats the purpose of the clock in the first place.

I guess I'm old because I feel like baseball is fine as it is but for the last twenty five years or more, pundits and MLB execs keep whining and wringing their hands over baseball supposedly sucking and losing fans etc and OHMYGOD HOW WILL WE KEEP UP WITH THE NFL!!!?!! while every year I still watch, listen, pay attention to the statistical leaders etc.

Baseball does more navel-gazing than a college sophomore. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I would gladly do Leon/Brown/Javier/Garcia for him. 

Fuck. That. 

Leon + Whitley + one of Siri/McCormick/Meyers.  I don't think Leon is The Answer at CF. He's a major league player, but probably not a star or difference maker.  I'm ready to move on from Whitley.  I don't think he's going to amount to shit and if he does with another team, good for them.  We have three CFs and we only need two.  You can pry Javier and Garcia from my cold dead hands.

In any case, Soto would be a half-season/postseason rental, right? He's a free agent after this year. Not sure how wise it would be to spend a big chunk of our spare $35M on him when we could possibly sign Ted and Yordan to long-term deals.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

He's a free agent after this year.

Wrong. Soto’s under control until 2025. It would take a huge package to trade for him. It would have to involve several young pieces on our current roster because our minor league system doesn’t currently have the pieces that would be required. 

Edited by TonyTexas

1 minute ago, Ojo Rojo said:

We don't play another team with a record currently over .500 until June 21st.  That's the next 34 games against teams .500 or worse.

we need to be a wrecking machine, stay healthy. Yuli and Diaz need to wake up. Siri needs to keep improving. Goodrum needs to show something. Machete and Castro getting to .200 would be a miracle 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Wrong. Soto’s under control until 2025. It would take a huge package to trade for him. It would have to involve several young pieces on our current roster because our minor league system doesn’t currently have the pieces that would be required. 

Like what?  @Snake Diggity, what would you give for Soto?

47 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Like what?  @Snake Diggity, what would you give for Soto?

A fuckload.  Not sure Houston has the prospects to make that trade unless the Nats want to shed Corbin’s or Strasburg’s contracts.  Only other possibility is if the Nats love Garcia or Javier and Houston trades from that depth.  I could see Javier, McCormick, Hunter Brown, and Pedro Leon being close to enough, especially if Corbin comes back with Soto.  Very unlikely they trade Soto but if they do I think they’ll be looking for multiple elite (MLB Top 25 type) prospects and Houston just doesn’t have that right now.  But Soto would be a game changer and one of the only bats that might be available who would serve as a meaningful upgrade.

Anyone ever been to a game in Anaheim?  We're actually going to be out there in July when the Stros swing through town, and I'm thinking of heading over there one evening for a game.  Decent stadium?  Food and beverage situation?  Will we get our asses kicked wearing Astros gear?  Any line on tickets other than Seatgeek and such?

16 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

A fuckload.  Not sure Houston has the prospects to make that trade unless the Nats want to shed Corbin’s or Strasburg’s contracts.  Only other possibility is if the Nats love Garcia or Javier and Houston trades from that depth.  I could see Javier, McCormick, Hunter Brown, and Pedro Leon being close to enough, especially if Corbin comes back with Soto.  Very unlikely they trade Soto but if they do I think they’ll be looking for multiple elite (MLB Top 25 type) prospects and Houston just doesn’t have that right now.  But Soto would be a game changer and one of the only bats that might be available who would serve as a meaningful upgrade.

Would it be worth giving up what it would take to get him knowing he's gone after 2024?

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Would it be worth giving up what it would take to get him knowing he's gone after 2024?

The package I described would be worth it in my opinion.  Soto is already making $17M in his first arb year so he’s going to be very expensive for the next 2.5 years and would restrict what other moves they could make and possibly prevent extending Tucker or Alvarez.  But he is one of the 3 best hitters on earth and I think he’d significantly increase the odds of winning another WS in this window.

Right now, Soto is almost like the situation Trout was in before his big extension - it’s almost impossible to design a trade for him because the amount a team would have to give up is unrealistic. And this is why there are people in this thread saying that there is no way they’d give up certain packages for him, and Washington probably wouldn’t accept those same packages either. He’s just too damned good at his current salary/control.

When he becomes a 1-year rental or less, that can change. But he’s not getting traded this year. I’m sure Washington is trying to extend him. More likely he’ll become a FA, but the Nationals aren’t going to give up in that in 2022. Either way, he’ll get an absolute shitload of money. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Anyone ever been to a game in Anaheim?  We're actually going to be out there in July when the Stros swing through town, and I'm thinking of heading over there one evening for a game.  Decent stadium?  Food and beverage situation?  Will we get our asses kicked wearing Astros gear?  Any line on tickets other than Seatgeek and such?

Plenty of good seats available at the official link: https://www.mlb.com/angels/tickets/single-game-tickets?mlbkw=ds-g-p40582484354&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg_iTBhDrARIsAD3Ib5jiKAej4kG0ErlMLb31yeY2FmpSYqjBtvLMUa_O9zMEkMhLtmVfQrsaAuAEEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

but if anything like Astros.com may be cheaper through the secondary sites.

Looked to snag some June/July hike games when they went on sale yesterday/today and seats I wanted were cheaper on StubHub (even after their fees).  DYNAMICPRICING!!!

Been to several Astro games there. Absolutely no problem sporting Astro gear. Really laid back fans, decent food and beverage items.

The stadium itself has pretty much a Disney feel. (Appropriate since it’s across the highway.) But they have taken very good care of the facility (unlike Dodger Stadium.)

I know I have walked up to the ticket booth and sat over the Astro dugout for like 125. (Circa 2015) Other than that have always used Stub Hub and don’t think I’ve been more than 10 rows up. Always seems to be good seats available. Huge parking lot, easy access. Go and enjoy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Fuck. That. 

Leon + Whitley + one of Siri/McCormick/Meyers.  I don't think Leon is The Answer at CF. He's a major league player, but probably not a star or difference maker.  I'm ready to move on from Whitley.  I don't think he's going to amount to shit and if he does with another team, good for them.  We have three CFs and we only need two.  You can pry Javier and Garcia from my cold dead hands.

In any case, Soto would be a half-season/postseason rental, right? He's a free agent after this year. Not sure how wise it would be to spend a big chunk of our spare $35M on him when we could possibly sign Ted and Yordan to long-term deals.

Nope, not a FA after this year. He's a FA after 2024 so 2.5 years.  

Someone up thread acted like I was offering the old Tony Kemp for Mike Trout deal.  You are saying it's way too much.  You don't get a guy like that without it hurting.  He's already turned down 350 million from Washington- you literally are trading for him for the next 2.5 years with zero chance of re-signing him as a FA, and with him in arbitration at 17 million this year that's about 7 million the balance of this year and about 45 million combined the next two year.   7 of the 35 in free space this year and 20 and 25 million the next year shouldn't have shit to do with stopping us from signing Ted and Yordan if we were so inclined (I'm not sure that we are- I've seen no indication as such to this point).  That's why the prospect capital would be so expensive. If they wanted Leon, Whitley, Brown and Meyers that's a deal I'd do. I just think that's probably too light for them and they'd want a couple of our young pitchers with 4 or 5 years of club control left plus our best hitting prospect and our best pitching prospect. 

But again, I have no belief that we'd be in on this. Also- the Washington owner is a  fuckstick and held onto Harper when they sucked and then let him walk for nothing, so maybe he loved that so much he wants to do the same with Soto.  Regardless, they are terrible and should suck the next couple years too, so hanging onto him and letting his value decline makes absolutely zero sense.  So that's my bet as to what he does.  

51 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Right now, Soto is almost like the situation Trout was in before his big extension - it’s almost impossible to design a trade for him because the amount a team would have to give up is unrealistic. And this is why there are people in this thread saying that there is no way they’d give up certain packages for him, and Washington probably wouldn’t accept those same packages either. He’s just too damned good at his current salary/control.

When he becomes a 1-year rental or less, that can change. But he’s not getting traded this year. I’m sure Washington is trying to extend him. More likely he’ll become a FA, but the Nationals aren’t going to give up in that in 2022. Either way, he’ll get an absolute shitload of money. 

He already turned down $350.  He's going to be a FA.  Washington SHOULD trade him this year as every day he's on their roster is another bit of value they are wasting and they aren't going to be likely to be real legit contenders the next 2 years.  I fully expect they will not trade him, and they can't extend him, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't.  

He will turn 26 in October of 2024 when he's a FA. I would expect the bidding to line up for him (if he continues on this trajectory) at something like 13 for $550,000,000. He will get more than Trout if he gets to FA.  He will be the youngest and best player to hit FA since AROD signed his monster deal that was like 35% higher than the next biggest deal ever.  I would expect him to re-set the market in the same way.   

Here's some fun facts to get away from trades that will never happen. Yordan is currently #27 in unluckiest hitters in baseball with an expected batting average (xBA) of .338 and a BA of .271. Machete is the highest Astro at #18 with an xBA of .163 and a BA of .087. Former Astro JD Davis is #1 in all of baseball with an xBA of .335 and BA of .217. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He already turned down $350.  He's going to be a FA.  Washington SHOULD trade him this year as every day he's on their roster is another bit of value they are wasting and they aren't going to be likely to be real legit contenders the next 2 years.  I fully expect they will not trade him, and they can't extend him, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't.  

He will turn 26 in October of 2024 when he's a FA. I would expect the bidding to line up for him (if he continues on this trajectory) at something like 13 for $550,000,000. He will get more than Trout if he gets to FA.  He will be the youngest and best player to hit FA since AROD signed his monster deal that was like 35% higher than the next biggest deal ever.  I would expect him to re-set the market in the same way.   

Yeah, but I was at a game this year and saw him make the third out at third base down 7.

That kind of baserunning belongs on the Astros.

• Haha 1