Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

10 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

The conference champ autobid is likely going away when they renegotiate the CFP after 2025 season. The SEC/B1G agreed to that because it required unanimous approval to expand the playoff from 4 to 12. That approval will no long be required for 2026 and you’ll likely see it moved to a straight up at large selection (maybe with a single carve out for a G5 team in the top 16 or something like they had in the old BCS).

Second, the ACC (minus the COVID season where they had ND) hasn’t had 2 teams ranked in the top 12 since 2017 (Clemson and #10 10-2 Miami). I’ll send you $1000 right now against you 90% if you’re willingly to stand by those odds.

Nobody but the SEC and Notre Dame want a smoke filled room to decide all 12 slots.  Ain't going to happen.  No how.  No way.

50 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Eventually, one or more universities are going to say, "we could lose up to $100 million or more from these Grant of Rights documents. OR ... we can approach a Billy BadAss law firm and say, "Here you go boys.  Here's a $5 million flat fee. Go git 'em." And GORs are looked at through the lens of sovereign immunity, lack of consideration, the conferences themselves are in essence, non-entities since revenue is passed on to the schools, the GOR is not a bilateral contract and/or is an improper assignment.

If and when that happens, in terms of college football, that could do away with 'formal conferences' completely and the universities in essence form a Board of Directors negotiating separately with television, steaming and whatever the next iteration is providers.

Username fits the message

52 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Eventually, one or more universities are going to say, "we could lose up to $100 million or more from these Grant of Rights documents. OR ... we can approach a Billy BadAss law firm and say, "Here you go boys.  Here's a $5 million flat fee. Go git 'em." And GORs are looked at through the lens of sovereign immunity, lack of consideration, the conferences themselves are in essence, non-entities since revenue is passed on to the schools, the GOR is not a bilateral contract and/or is an improper assignment.

If and when that happens, in terms of college football, that could do away with 'formal conferences' completely and the universities in essence form a Board of Directors negotiating separately with television, steaming and whatever the next iteration is providers.

Well this blog claims to know FSU's strategy-blame it on fraud.

https://www.big12insider.com/articles/acc_fraud.html

"...I have a well-placed source in the sports media rights industry who believes Florida State was defrauded by the ACC. 

Usually, I automatically judge any claim detailing an easy way out of a GoR as meritless. I am not an attorney, but I have researched the infallibility of the Big 12's grant of rights since 2012. I've spoken with over a dozen legal experts on media rights. They were unanimous in their opinion - an assignment of rights is only circumventable by breach of contract or fraud. 

Swofford Mislead Florida State's Board of Trustees

My contact alleges the revenue projections presented to Florida State's Board of Trustees on March 7, 2013, by ACC Commissioner John Swofford and TV consultant Dean Jordan, were grossly inaccurate and misleading. 

FSU's Board acted on the bad-faith representations of the ACC. Swofford and Jordan knew the revenue projections were unrealistic yet assured the Board profits from a conference network would put the Seminoles on par with their SEC peers.

That's what lawyers call "intentional fraud." Swofford, in his capacity as the commissioner of the ACC, intentionally misrepresented revenue projections with the intent to deceive the Board of Trustees into signing the grant of rights. 

My contact claims Swofford and Jordan also committed "constructive fraud" during their presentation to the Board...."

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

GOR works mostly because networks don't have sovereign immunity and can sue each other. So if FSU joins the Big 10 without breaking the GOR, the Big 10's media partners can't include them in their package or broadcast their games because they don't have the rights. When the same network is associated with both conferences, it's easier. It's why UT/OU's biggest holdup in leaving early was that FOX has a portion of the Big 12 contract and no part of the SEC's package. The ACC I think is mostly ESPN and BIG is FOX and CBS I think, so it's a problem. The biggest argument is that the exit fee in most GOR's could be construed as liquidated damages clause that way overstate estimated damages which is where lawyers get involved to negotiate what the actual damage/exit fee should be.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Scheer is going in dry on the PAC mouthpieces. I absolutely love it. 

Yeah.  They've been really unprofessional in insulting him all these months and they really look like clowns.

Funny how so many people can't get past their east coast or west coast bias or are stuck in the 80s when KSU, ISU, TCU, etc. were doormats.

The AQ for the 12 team playoff is indeed most likely going away in 2026. That is assumed to be the case by most. I do not understand why people in here think it won't.

The B1G and SEC will pretty much be writing the new rules for it when the current agreement expires after 2025. That is a big reason why you see all this realignment happening, along with NIL.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Nate said:

For anyone still thinking the PacX might somehow survive....if below is true, it's dead Jim.

UW “insider” put up the same thing this morning. Shoot, now that I’m thinking about it, that could be the “source” of this tweet. But it’s probably close and definitely reasonable given Kliavkoff’s unwillingness to put anything up. 

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

SIAP, there are more receipts in the replies

We all know how long the WAC10 has been saying this deal is going to happen and how full of shit Clownzano, Altimore, etc are, but seeing everything listed in that thread takes it to another level entirely.  There's such a constant stream of PAC propaganda that I had forgotten Clownzano was predicting a media deal with ESPN and Fox getting done by media day- media day 2022, that is.  🤣

Thanks for posting.  That might be the greatest thread I've ever read on twitter.  Absolutely beautiful roasting of the WAC propagandists.

2 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

The AQ for the 12 team playoff is indeed most likely going away in 2026. That is assumed to be the case by most. I do not understand why people in here think it won't.

The B1G and SEC will pretty much be writing the new rules for it when the current agreement expires after 2025. That is a big reason why you see all this realignment happening, along with NIL.

I think it will be top 3 con champs and highest-ranked G5 (or whatever it's called by then) to avoid legal issues, plus 8 at large.

24 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Very very interesting coming from Jim.

"they are concerned that with a campus in LA they will lose enrolment."

Um, how does being in a conference with no presence in LA after this year help them from losing enrollment?  Not sure how being relegated to the new MWC helps their LA enrollment, but o.k.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Why didn't SDSU just stick with its withdrawal? They had to see something was gonna happen to open the door for them in the PAC.

Because ultimately the PAC most likely dissolves if the Arizona rumors are true and they would be out of a conference period with no expected payday. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How is the PAC going to lend a hand to SDSU or SMU at 34 million each especially when they're still on the hook for 50+ million to Comcast?

Why are you surprised, John?  Your sources have proven to be the dumbest people in all of sports.

• Hook 'Em 2

I listened to Wilner on Full Ride this morning on XM84. I was surprised to hear him sound relatively grounded in regard to how things got here and where things go from here. He was relatively critical of Kliavkoff. He wouldn't give him a grade yet, but said if someone wanted to give him a D at this point, that would be hard to challenge and then stated if the whole league falls into a state of collapse because Arizona leaves in the next two weeks, he'd go ahead and grade him with an F. Sort of a "duh" scenario, but I figured he'd be completely in the tank and unwilling to acknowledge the possibility of UA leaving. 

If Arizona is indeed gone, I fail to see how adding SDSU and SMU do anything to improve what sounds like a terrible media deal. If these schools are all staring down the barrel of $20M/team/year, UW and Oregon pretty much have to use the leverage they have now and force the Big 12 to 16 teams with easy outs around 2031 if more shakeups occur. If they don't do that, they're complete morons. 

2 hours ago, Frieda’s Boss said:

UW “insider” put up the same thing this morning. Shoot, now that I’m thinking about it, that could be the “source” of this tweet. But it’s probably close and definitely reasonable given Kliavkoff’s unwillingness to put anything up. 

Sounds like the is the Highlander, Christopher Lambert, aka, the Dude of West Virginia.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I listened to Wilner on Full Ride this morning on XM84. I was surprised to hear him sound relatively grounded in regard to how things got here and where things go from here. He was relatively critical of Kliavkoff. He wouldn't give him a grade yet, but said if someone wanted to give him a D at this point, that would be hard to challenge and then stated if the whole league falls into a state of collapse because Arizona leaves in the next two weeks, he'd go ahead and grade him with an F. Sort of a "duh" scenario, but I figured he'd be completely in the tank and unwilling to acknowledge the possibility of UA leaving. 

If Arizona is indeed gone, I fail to see how adding SDSU and SMU do anything to improve what sounds like a terrible media deal. If these schools are all staring down the barrel of $20M/team/year, UW and Oregon pretty much have to use the leverage they have now and force the Big 12 to 16 teams with easy outs around 2031 if more shakeups occur. If they don't do that, they're complete morons. 

If TV’s cool with it, I think the Big 12 should just get rid of the GOR.  14 of the 16 potential schools will never get a Big 10 or SEC invite.  I doubt ORWA will either, but if they did and left, so be it.

Looking at the ACC situation, and the uncomfortable drawn out divorce we’re currently on our way out of, I think it’s a better way to operate.  Never would have thought that way a few years ago.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If TV’s cool with it, I think the Big 12 should just get rid of the GOR.  14 of the 16 potential schools will never get a Big 10 or SEC invite.  I doubt ORWA will either, but if they did and left, so be it.

Looking at the ACC situation, and the uncomfortable drawn out divorce we’re currently on our way out of, I think it’s a better way to operate.  Never would have thought that way a few years ago.

I don't think TV would be cool with that.  They aren't paying us without the guarantee the GOR provides them.

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

At this point, what leverage would UW and Oregon have? Couldn't the Big 12 could just say, sign our GOR or enjoy your $20M/year.

The BIG doesn't look like they're ready to invite them right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Lone Star Horn said:

At this point, what leverage would UW and Oregon have? Couldn't the Big 12 could just say, sign our GOR or enjoy your $20M/year.

The BIG doesn't look like they're ready to invite them right now. 

Their leverage is their following. It wouldn't be a bullying thing. More of a legitimate negotiation between two similarly interested parties. "I can bring more to your conference than any other option and I am ready to do that. The networks will approve. I just need to be upfront that this will only work if we at least can talk to other conferences in the future if the media deals down the line change things again." "That works."

I don't like the idea of Oregon getting into the Big 12 from the perspective of a longhorn, but it makes a lot of sense.

35 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There isn't any reason for a grant of rights to last longer than the Big 12's media deal, and that's short enough that I'd rather not have UW or UO if they might leaver earlier than that. The ACC's mistake was signing a 20 year media deal. They aren't falling apart because of their grant of rights. They are falling apart because FSU doesn't want UCF to have a better media deal than them.

• Hook 'Em 2

There was a lot of push back from B1G members when USC/UCLA were added, Coaches and others flat out threw out a gauntlet against adding two more left coast schools. They incorrectly believe that twice as many west coast schools means traveling west twice a season. But the math does not work out that way. A 16 team B1G would have 9 conference games. The Four west of the rockies teams would all play each other every season. For instance UO would have three regional games against their west of the Rockies rivals. They would need to play Six East block teams a season. Three at home and three on the road. So since each west coast team hosts THREE eastern team a season, EACH eastern team will travel West once and only once a season! This is by far a much fairer set up than they will have with just two west coast teams. As of now Ohio St may have to travel west in 2024 but Mich might not. Ohio St would be at a slight disadvantage in that scenario since they would have the travel fatigue that Mich didn't endure. The 16 team BIG would also be better for USC & UCLA since it would reduce their eastern travel travel to three games a year.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think suing their way out of the ACC, for the B1G, is a pretty tall order.  But I suspect they could come to terms on a settlement if ESPN was able to get something good enough from the B1G in return.  If we assume that FSU went with ND, Miami, and Stanford, there might be a way to cut ESPN in on some of that new inventory and make everyone feel good about it.  

If the ACC got huge buyout money from 2 or 3 schools, that helps their financial situation out quite a bit.  They'd be done worrying about the B1G at that point, too, so the rest of the ACC would abruptly be very stable in the same way that the Big 12 is now.  Maybe they'd even make a run at the Big 12's eastern flank schools.

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

20 MILL a year per school is actually on par with what the BIG12 is getting. HEAR ME OUT. The PACX only has 2/3rds of its inventory up for negotiation. 1/3 of their content (two games a week on average) is dedicated to the PACX network. So 2/3 of their content should be about the same as 2/3 of the BIG12's content. That's about 20mill a year per school. The PACX's issue isn't so much that their getting screwed on their media rights deal, its that the PACX networks payout is only 3mill a year per school even though they have 1/3 the content.

22 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

20 MILL a year per school is actually on par with what the BIG12 is getting. HEAR ME OUT. The PACX only has 2/3rds of its inventory up for negotiation. 1/3 of their content (two games a week on average) is dedicated to the PACX network. So 2/3 of their content should be about the same as 2/3 of the BIG12's content. That's about 20mill a year per school. The PACX's issue isn't so much that their getting screwed on their media rights deal, its that the PACX networks payout is only 3mill a year per school even though they have 1/3 the content.

You let general Custer die.  image.thumb.png.510547fcf79058e2bc9dfbba16717009.png