Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

9 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

The only thing left that makes sense for either of them is a merger of the top 6 or 7 from each.  They could hold on to a Power 4 Conference label in the same way that the ACC is.  For now.  

But if the Big 10 takes Oregon, too, it's probably all over.  I think that just about forces the SEC to take Clemson, Florida St, Miami, and UNC, before the Big 10 starts reaching out to any of them. 

Let's just go ahead and go to two superconferences of 20 to 24.  That's where this road was always leading.  Just do it already.

NFC/AFC, playoffs, super bowl.

The Bowl era is over. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I gotta think the “not done” RE the Big 10 is ND and someone out of the ACC and they’ll be waiting for that GOR to go

ND is who the Big 10 has always wanted. If they had joined in 2010, we probably still have 6 BCS conferences and no playoffs.

Having USC in the fold definitely helps.  Now ND can join and play in NYC and LA and keep their service academy Non-cons.    Also, that would fucking explode the Big Ten's value.

45 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

I think if it were ND or bust, they would've hit the ACC where it hurt instead of the PAC.

I have a feeling ND sat on the pot too long and for time being, most have moved on.  

ND will always be around, but it will be up to them to find a way into one of the two big conferences instead of either of the two doing a whole lot to chase after ND.  

With what the SEC and B10 has in their stables as of now, it diminishes the value ND has to either somewhat.  

• Haha 1

Fifty plus years in the making. I'm surprised there are so many clueless about what is happening and what is about to happen. Today is no surprise and the finished result will be no surprise. It's going to be very good for the sport. A much more competitive environment and huge games every week. Hopefully, it means a much more transparent recruiting process and better officiating (more money, less officials needed).

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Gaffords said:

I think if it were ND or bust, they would've hit the ACC where it hurt instead of the PAC.

I have a feeling ND sat on the pot too long and for time being, most have moved on.  

ND will always be around, but it will be up to them to find a way into one of the two big conferences instead of either of the two doing a whole lot to chase after ND.  

With what the SEC and B10 has in their stables as of now, it diminishes the value ND has to either somewhat.  

It is one of the few remaining truly national brands with a national footprint to match. Either conference would take them in a heartbeat. 

I'd be very, very surprised if USC and UCLA joined to be a conference island and the scheduling hell for all the other sports that would be.  B1G is likely to add some more out west.

Pretty sure the B1G's blueprint is to add 4 more Pac AAU schools, ND, UVA, UNC, and GT.  SEC will make a hard counter push for UNC and UVA. 

Yeah, forget about the last college football playoff proposal.  It's dead now, the new one may look quite different.

There's a chance the B12, P12, and ACC leftovers can merge into a 'Poor But Proud' 3rd super conference and stay included in the playoffs.  No guarantees that B1G and SEC don't completely separate soon, however.

2 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Fifty plus years in the making. I'm surprised there are so many clueless about what is happening and what is about to happen. Today is no surprise and the finished result will be no surprise. It's going to be very good for the sport. A much more competitive environment and huge games every week. Hopefully, it means a much more transparent recruiting process and better officiating (more money, less officials needed).

I mean that sounds like the NFL. Sure being more like the NFL has its upside but part of what made College Football great was all that janky shit with smaller leagues and small but fanatical fanbases for schools like Montana State. 

And further we already have a NFL with competitive games and transparent rules and better officiating.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, Valmy77 said:

I mean that sounds like the NFL. Sure being more like the NFL has its upside but part of what made College Football great was all that janky shit with smaller leagues and small but fanatical fanbases for schools like Montana State. 

And further we already have a NFL with competitive games and transparent rules and better officiating.

Those schools will still play and their games will be much more competitive now. It's going to be a win win for everyone involved, if it is done correctly.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

This is going to be true of a lot of schools currently in the Power 5.

And therefore lots of fans who are no longer going to follow bigtime College Football anymore. Again most businesses try to increase their fanbase and increase their footprint. College Football is falling over itself to shrink. But I guess the pie will now be shared by significantly fewer schools.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Sandbagging Steve said:

Those schools will still play and their games will be much more competitive now. It's going to be a win win for everyone involved, if it is done correctly.

Yeah right. I bet Oregon State cannot wait to be the equivalent of Division II. A big win-win.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I hope B10 and SEC stay at current 16 teams. Then P12 takes their favorite 6 teams from B12 (TT, OSU, KSU, KU, Houston/TCU for big Texas TV markets) and ACC takes their favorite of WVU and Cincy.

I think what’ll actually happen is B10 and SEC go for 20+ teams each

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Lol, no.  The bottom 60% of D-1 is about to get backdoored with no lube, no reach-around, and extra hair pulling.  Or as South Austin's mom calls it, the Number 4.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

Isn't ND contracted with the ACC through 2035?

There is a reported clause that if they join any conference before 2035 it has to be the ACC.

The Big Ten can pay off the ACC, their contract was already going to be north of the SECs, now it is going to be gigantic. 

They are 100% talking to Oregon right now or they're a bunch of damned fools.

Why wouldn’t they have Oregon in the bag with the others?

I agree it makes sense for them to want Oregon, but if that were the case it just doesn’t make sense that this wasn’t all arranged simultaneously.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Lol, no.  The bottom 60% of D-1 is about to get backdoored with no lube, no reach-around, and extra hair pulling.  Or as South Austin's mom calls it, the Number 4.

There are going to be a LOT of sad fan bases in the state of Texas. I'm thinking Fort Worth, Waco, Lubbock, and Houston.

I wonder if the New Big 12  Commissioner has called the 4 incoming members yet to tell them that there might be a little snag...  --"see what happened was...".  Unpack your bags bitches, you might be better off where you currently are over the New-New-New-New Big 12

The PAC will come hard and heavy after the BIG 12 and have room for will be coming hard and heavy after 6 B12 members. Who will they be?  Does the Big 12 stand firm? 

This will be fun

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I agree it makes sense for them to want Oregon, but if that were the case it just doesn’t make sense that this wasn’t all arranged simultaneously.

Who knows. Maybe Oregon people have worked a deal but needed UCLA and USC to squeal first so that UO could more comfortably get away from OSU ("we have no choice..." Same for UW and WSU. Or perhaps the B1G liked taking these two and is content to sit back and see what other teams reach out from the PAC/ ACC/ ND. The conspiracy theories are endless. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Because of Oregon State and Washington State.  Pulling the pair from LA together made sense as a first move.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

My total speculation is that they took USC and UCLA to destabilize the PAC so they could then entice Stanford which they could use to then entice ND. That would be a hell of a coup.

Notre Dame has always been the goal. The destruction of college football comes back to the Big 10 wanting Notre Dame and ND refusing.

There are 12 schools in the PAC12, 9 of which are AAU (not OSU, WSU, ASU)

Big Ten (14) + 9 = 23 with Notre Dame as the final piece of the puzzle for 24.

24 AAU schools save ND and Nebraska.

That would set the table for the SEC to expand too.

SEC (16) + Miami, FSU, Clemson, UNC, Duke, UVA, VT, and Kansas(or West Virginia) = 24

The only problem I see is that somehow I left out one of the top colleges of all time in Syracuse.

I don't think you will see an official second division, but for anyone paying attention I think the hierarchy is pretty clear. 

And I think everyone would be fine with that. The Big 10 and SEC are where the top brands have consolidated. It costs them nothing to let the Big 12/ACC/Pac 12 into the playoffs even if there’s a huge difference in conference pay out.

Like the basketball tournament currently exists.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

The bottom 25% of the Power 5 is actually going to get to play against people their own size every week like they should have been doing from the beginning of time. Their games will be much more competitive and they will sell more tickets because of it. They won't get $100,000,000 per year in TV deals, but they don't deserve it. They will survive and be just fine.

The rest of so-called D-1 is a joke and nothing changes with them. This only changes things for 15-30 small teams, depending on how it shakes out in the long run. Allen High has no business playing the Dallas Cowboys. Oregon State football has no business playing in the same conference as USC.

TV ratings for the big brands are going to go through the roof. You won't see the same 4 teams in the championship every year. You won't have to dig thru 30 games that week to find the one to three competitive games on TV.

You won't have to bitch as much about the integrity of the game as this plays out in the future and a commissioner is hired and actual rules are put in place.

This is healthy for the game. College football has been broken for a very long time.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

It is one of the few remaining truly national brands with a national footprint to match. Either conference would take them in a heartbeat. 

I don't disagree with this, but I think ND is the one who will need to do more leg work over either of those conferences chasing them hot and heavy. ND value to a 18 member conference is less than it would've been to a 10-12-14 member conference.  The bigger the conference the less value, outside of a conference that consists of nothing but scrubs. 

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Kansas just won the national title in men's basketball. Seems weird that nobody cares about that anymore. 

OG Big East imploding out front shoulda told ya.

serious question though, how many eyeballs does Kansas bring?

2 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

So.....

Lol, some people need their internets taken away. This makes absolutely zero sense. The new Big 12 is still a good basketball conference. KU is on deck for a landing spot if this continues. A combination of the PAC and XII would still be a good basketball conference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

This move is because the B1G is in the middle of negotiating by far the most lucrative media rights deal in history and USC and UCLA make those numbers go up by a lot.  It's not all about you.

So you actually believe this move happens if TX/ou stay in the Big 12?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

OG Big East imploding out front shoulda told ya.

serious question though, how many eyeballs does Kansas bring?

Their 3rd-tier media packages were only behind TX/OU.  But that's hard to gauge exactly what that means nationally.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Lol, some people need their internets taken away. This makes absolutely zero sense. The new Big 12 is still a good basketball conference. KU is on deck for a landing spot if this continues. A combination of the PAC and XII would still be a good basketball conference. 

no one seems to want them.  I suppose it could be a rumor to start by KU to see if Big 10 might finally bite but not sure if that would matter to Big 10.