EPL 2018-19

Goo Punch

Sucks for Pulisic about the ban, but fuck Chelskea.  They are not going to be good for a while, especially when Hazard leaves.  

Thanks for the chart, very cool.  

United haven't won a league trophy without an Irishman.  I'd be happy to take Declan Rice (while he's technically still Irish) as a future replacement for Matic. Matt Doherty at fullback is very salty for Wolves right now.   

Just now, midtown said:

It's a transfer ban not a loan ban.. Pulisic is on loan so he can come back.

I meant that he has to go play for a team in turmoil without transfer reinforcements during the offseason.  He will also miss the chance to play in the Champions league next season because Chelsea won't finish top 4.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dertyberd said:

Sucks for Pulisic about the ban, but fuck Chelskea.  They are not going to be good for a while, especially when Hazard leaves.  

Thanks for the chart, very cool.  

United haven't won a league trophy without an Irishman.  I'd be happy to take Declan Rice (while he's technically still Irish) as a future replacement for Matic. Matt Doherty at fullback is very salty for Wolves right now.   

Won't affect Pulisic signing. They will appeal and sign players in the interim this summer. If they lose the appeal, it would likely apply to the 2020 and 2021 windows - not 2019 and 2020.

No worries Mid.  

Sure, Chelsea might have a chance to sign some guys while they are appealing, but the caliber of player they're used to signing won't be going there when they miss out on the CL.  Plus, why would you go there during appeal when you know they can't improve the squad for two years? They've had some very good players come through their academy in recent years, but they typically sell them.  They're in an identity crisis right now and this ban hurts a lot.  

On 2/23/2019 at 8:47 AM, MoJames said:

Man sucks Chelsea is already out of reach of the top 4. And sucks there isnt a back door into the Champions League.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:54 AM, idigTexas said:

Yeah.  If only there were another way, like by winning the Europa League or something.

Yeah, because they seem to be firing on all cylinders and giving maximum effort for each other and their manager at the moment.  A real inspiring story of hope going down the stretch.  I don't doubt they have the talent to back door their way in to Champions, but it doesn't look good for them in their current form. There are a lot of good squads left in Europa and cups are a finicky bitch. 

United's string of injuries in the last two matches to Herrera, Lingard, Mata, Matic, and Martial certainly changes things in the league.   We'll see if they can grind out the 4th spot.  The match at Arsenal on March 10th is massive.  

1 hour ago, Dertyberd said:

Yeah, because they seem to be firing on all cylinders and giving maximum effort for each other and their manager at the moment.

You describing manure about 3 months ago? Things change quickly in this league. A month ago pool had all but won the league.

Let's just go all crazy here and say somehow Chelsea manages to beat Tottenham.  I know that seems like an insurmountable goal, less likely than Vince Young and his band beating the All-World USC, but just stick with me. And for shits and giggles lets say Chelsea wins 3-0. At that point he table looks just a tad bit better for Chelsea and I think, call me crazy if you want, puts them in a good spot to finish top 4 with the below outcome.

1-2 who cares

3 Tottenham 60

4 Chelsea 53

5 Arsenal 53

6 manure 52

If anything, I would say they are in the hunt.

Edited by MoJames

Not saying it couldn't happen and things do move quickly, you are correct. 

Three months ago United were in the shitter and heading in the wrong direction.  Change at the top was made and things improved quickly.  At the same time Chelsea were only 4pts back from second and appeared to be a solid squad.  Now, they're heading in the wrong direction with a manager who has lost the squad and a team giving minimal effort.  I'm glad you believe that will make for a great turn around, thats what supporters do.  Maybe it does happen, maybe Hazard wakes up against Spurs and becomes VY, and maybe they continue to be the dysfunctional squad I believe them to be.  I'll take the side with momentum with 11 matches to go over the squad who's coach is leaving the touchline because his keeper can't/won't listen to him.  Good times.  

BTW, if anyone thought that Liverpool was running away with this thing 3 months ago they're dumb.  Man City is far and away the deepest and most talented side in the EPL.  Pool's first eleven can take match up with anyone, but lack of depth was always going to be a problem.  I don't remember anyone crowning them back then.  

On 2/22/2019 at 10:12 AM, Dertyberd said:

He will also miss the chance to play in the Champions league next season because Chelsea won't finish top 4.  

14 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

Not saying it couldn't happen and things do move quickly, you are correct.  

giphy.gif

Jesus, fine, you win.  Fuck Chelsea, they aren't making it.  I was 100% saying under no circumstance will they make the top 4 or sneak in the back door.  They are the worst big club in the Premier League....even worse than.....Arsenal!  Does that make you feel better?

From now on I will begin any and all analysis, shit talk, whatever with  "In my opinion, but I'm not 100% guaranteeing so don't bet the house on it..."

They held them scoreless, they weren't playing for points, it was a cup final.  

23 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

Jesus, fine, you win.  Fuck Chelsea, they aren't making it.  I was 100% saying under no circumstance will they make the top 4 or sneak in the back door.  They are the worst big club in the Premier League....even worse than.....Arsenal!  Does that make you feel better?

From now on I will begin any and all analysis, shit talk, whatever with  "In my opinion, but I'm not 100% guaranteeing so don't bet the house on it..."

They held them scoreless, they weren't playing for points, it was a cup final.  

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/25/2019 at 10:25 AM, MoJames said:

Let's just go all crazy here and say somehow Chelsea manages to beat Tottenham. 

You know, this wasn't really all that crazy. Spurs have won there what 3 times in the past 30 years? Something like this? Coming in flat like this certainly isn't helping.

That said, I think this EASILY puts Chelsea in the drivers seat for top 4. The computers at 538 liked them for top 4 BEFORE this, I have to think this will put them ahead now a lot.

Right now with Arsenal's game the only one done is: Arsenal 46%, Chelsea 42%, ManU 24%. Let's see how that jumps with these finals.

15 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

That said, I think this EASILY puts Chelsea in the drivers seat for top 4. The computers at 538 liked them for top 4 BEFORE this, I have to think this will put them ahead now a lot.

They have picked up only 16 of the last 30 available points in the league and still have to go to Anfield and Old Trafford. 

Spurs are also right on the edge of joining the fight for 4th with road games at Anfield and the Etihad still to come. 

If Spurs lose to Arsenal this weekend and United and Chelsea win their matches against relegation fodder, the table will be as follows:

3. Spurs 60

4. Arsenal 59

5. United 58

6. Chelsea 56 (with game in hand)

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

They have picked up only 16 of the last 30 available points in the league and still have to go to Anfield and Old Trafford. 

Spurs are also right on the edge of joining the fight for 4th with road games at Anfield and the Etihad still to come. 

If Spurs lose to Arsenal this weekend and United and Chelsea win their matches against relegation fodder, the table will be as follows:

3. Spurs 60

4. Arsenal 59

5. United 58

6. Chelsea 56 (with game in hand)

Yep looks like Chelsea isn't going to make it.

On 2/22/2019 at 11:18 AM, Dertyberd said:

Sure, Chelsea might have a chance to sign some guys while they are appealing, but the caliber of player they're used to signing won't be going there when they miss out on the CL.  Plus, why would you go there during appeal when you know they can't improve the squad for two years?   

Even if you're right and Chelsea misses the CL next season, which is far from a sure thing, Chelsea just signed Pulisic while missing the CL this season.  They'll still have a big summer.  And the transfer ban is for two windows, not two years.

As a fan, I was concerned about this ban, but only because I thought we'd have to serve it during the same summer that Hazard (probably) leaves.  That not being the case, there's nothing to sweat for Chelsea.  They'll have even more money to spend than normal this summer.  And their youth squads win pretty much everything.  There's a ton of young talent coming up.  Missing one summer window, probably in 2020, won't leave much of a mark.