EPL 2022-23: Worldo Cuptus Interuptus

maninblack

Just a reminder, this weekend is the start of the meat grinder. Every possible match day until the World Cup is full of games for the big boys:

image.thumb.png.9eb50f777876423bb1109737a69fbb6d.png

The International Break will see the top players travel and likely play a bit.

Champions League: Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea Spurs
Europa: Arsenal, ManU
Conference: West Ham

Everyone has a game in Carabo Round 3, except Fulham who lost to a League 2 team.

And the teams that advance to Carabo Round 4 - their games are the first date after the World Cup.

On 8/27/2022 at 6:50 AM, Longhornfan1024 said:

McTominay with three handballs in the box and var doesn't call for a pk. At this point why even have refs? They should just pull random fouls and calls out of a hat every 5 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Not even a yellow

15 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

How the heck isn’t that at least a yellow? That is clearly dangerous play. I could see a red given, but understand why not. But that’s easily a yellow without even measuring intent. 

It should be a red (see, Mane kicking Ederson in the face), but it's the Premier League and it's Man City, so nothing.  

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

It should be a red (see, Mane kicking Ederson in the face), but it's the Premier League and it's Man City, so nothing.  

Given the CURRENT RULES - If it was a red, I'm not sure there would be much argument, it's dangerous play and fits the bill.

Now that said, I don't think that this play compares to Mane's.

Mane was going straight at Ederson, left the ground and was out of control. It was both dangerous and reckless.

Anderson comes from behind Haaland. Plus Haaland doesn't leave the ground  Dangerous? Yes. Reckless? Not to the same degree as Mane.

I would also argue that the EPL and FiFA both should just have a rule - your foot hits a guys head in a position above the waist, automatic red, no question. That takes any question of degree of anything (intent, recklessness, dangerousness, force) out of the discussion. Both of these plays SHOULD be red cards and the fact that we having this discussion is proof that this shouldn't be a decision left to the refs, the rules should tie their hands.

• Hook 'Em 2

BTW - since my first quote didn't outright say it, and might imply otherwise:

Haaland should have be a red card for that.

It's dangerous, the end - red card. I also think it's reckless because Haaland is in the middle of play just throwing his leg up in the air. It's not as bad as Mane, but IMHO that doesn't even matter, you make a dangerous play that injures someone - red card (same as if you break a guys leg on a tackle, etc).

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Given the CURRENT RULES - If it was a red, I'm not sure there would be much argument, it's dangerous play and fits the bill.

Now that said, I don't think that this play compares to Mane's.

Mane was going straight at Ederson, left the ground and was out of control. It was both dangerous and reckless.

Anderson comes from behind Haaland. Plus Haaland doesn't leave the ground  Dangerous? Yes. Reckless? Not to the same degree as Mane.

I would also argue that the EPL and FiFA both should just have a rule - your foot hits a guys head in a position above the waist, automatic red, no question. That takes any question of degree of anything (intent, recklessness, dangerousness, force) out of the discussion. Both of these plays SHOULD be red cards and the fact that we having this discussion is proof that this shouldn't be a decision left to the refs, the rules should tie their hands.

If you put your studs in someone’s face it’s dangerous and reckless

• Hook 'Em 1

No red there. We can't all agree on anything. 

And that rule proposal just killed the bicycle kick, high volleys, and all kinds of awesome plays. If it's an automatic red card to have your foot contact someone's head then you're at risk to be ejected any time you raise your foot if someone comes out of a blind spot to head the ball.

In reality I would have been fine with a red on Haaland specifically because he knew the guy was there because he just moved past him.  But in lots of situations the player sticking his head in from behind an opponent bears some responsibility. A zero tolerance rule on that would be a bad idea. 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

No red there. We can't all agree on anything. 

And that rule proposal just killed the bicycle kick, high volleys, and all kinds of awesome plays. If it's an automatic red card to have your foot contact someone's head then you're at risk to be ejected any time you raise your foot if someone comes out of a blind spot to head the ball.

In reality I would have been fine with a red on Haaland specifically because he knew the guy was there because he just moved past him.  But in lots of situations the player sticking his head in from behind an opponent bears some responsibility. A zero tolerance rule on that would be a bad idea. 

Ah I can tell you never played. Bad take is bad.

• Hook 'Em 2

i realize that no one gives a shit but everton grabbed neal maupay from bha and apparently ready to finalize psg transfer for idrissa gana.  as sad as it is to say, maupay is a significant upgrade to the offensive firepower currently on the pitch for the toffees.  if gordon doesn't ultimately transfer, then him, maupay, and calvert-lewin if he ever stops being hurt (lol) could be not the worst offensive front in the league as they have been thus far.  not going to replace richarlison's quality or productivity, but it is better than the bullshit they've been trotting out.

gana is another defender to go along with the 45 other defensive moves they've made in the window.  i am concerned that frank is going to do what he's dying to do and move us from a 5-3-2 to a 8-1-1.  

still think relegation is a more likely outcome than not.

Ah, the never played card. That always shows you've got a great argument. 

Haaland deserved red but even on that play Andersen lowered his head by at least a foot. Haaland's foot was not at Andersen's standing head level when contact was made. You're saying that if an opponent comes running in and lowers his head that it should be an automatic red card even if the contact is only 4 feet off the ground? That's absurd. 

Above the waist is a ridiculous line to draw. Shoulder level? That might make sense for an automatic red. But if my foot kicks an opponent in the head because he lowered his head to my belly button height then he's been just as reckless as I have. And also much dumber.

Edited by Huckleberry

26 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Haaland deserved red but even on that play Andersen lowered his head by at least a foot. Haaland's foot was not at Andersen's standing head level when contact was made. You're saying that if an opponent comes running in and lowers his head that it should be an automatic red card even if the contact is only 4 feet off the ground? That's absurd. 

Above the waist is a ridiculous line to draw. Shoulder level? That might make sense for an automatic red. But if my foot kicks an opponent in the head because he lowered his head to my belly button height then he's been just as reckless as I have. And also much dumber.

I'll concede that if you have a player diving for a header below an opponents knees he is being reckless. That being said a player should never be worried about getting kicked in the head while going for a header otherwise. 

image.png.29524921c743fbddc9e222c64cd6b540.png

Haaland is in the air with his own foot at his chin. He is 6'4". So his foot is likely at 6' in the air. This is a red card and should be every single time. Anyone deciding to put their foot in the air to strike something should be positive someone's head isn't in the way before pulling off the attempt. It's reckless. In my "career" playing soccer there was never a point a bicycle kick was necessary and often was someone attempting to show off, and often failed. 

Also above you said Haaland deserved a red, as such we all agree.

Edited by MoJames
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Fortunately there are only 2 relegation spots available because Bournemouth is going down by January.

5 minutes ago, sidis said:

they are terrible.  absolutely brutally bad.

and they are ahead of us in the table by a point.

After watching LCFC on Saturday, I'm convinced they are heading down as well. Specifically with us taking Fofana off their hands.

8 minutes ago, MoJames said:

After watching LCFC on Saturday, I'm convinced they are heading down as well. Specifically with us taking Fofana off their hands.

i am with you on that one.  lcfc have looked utterly pathetic so far.  only four games but while everton have been trash, they have been out there working during the games.  they look like they care but just aren't good enough.  lcfc look like they couldn't give a fuck and just want to kill themselves.  gun to my head, they are second after bournemouth in my way too early likely to be relegated clubs.  unfortunately, i don't see anyone else i can wedge between them and everton at this point for 18th.

maybe we should see if vardy's washed up ass wants to come be a perpetual 70th minute sub for us the rest of the season.

if i were the club's sporting director, i seriously would reach out to austin and make a play for driussi.

Edited by sidis

5 hours ago, MoJames said:

I'll concede that if you have a player diving for a header below an opponents knees he is being reckless. That being said a player should never be worried about getting kicked in the head while going for a header otherwise. 

Haaland is in the air with his own foot at his chin. He is 6'4". So his foot is likely at 6' in the air. This is a red card and should be every single time. Anyone deciding to put their foot in the air to strike something should be positive someone's head isn't in the way before pulling off the attempt. It's reckless. In my "career" playing soccer there was never a point a bicycle kick was necessary and often was someone attempting to show off, and often failed. 

Is this screenshot for ants? Also, the discussion should remain on the absolute disaster that is EPL officiating. Haaland wasn't even handed a yellow. Add in Crystal Palace's disallowed goal that was a legitimate goal plus all of the ridiculous nonsense seen week in and week out in the EPL and it's the worst officiated professional sport in my mind.

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 8.34.49 PM.png

Edited by maninblack

48 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Is this screenshot for ants? Also, the discussion should remain on the absolute disaster that is EPL officiating. Haaland wasn't even handed a yellow. Add in Crystal Palace's disallowed goal that was a legitimate goal plus all of the ridiculous nonsense seen week in and week out in the EPL and it's the worst officiated professional sport in my mind.

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 8.34.49 PM.png

So you're saying it wasn't the fault of Mike Dean, Martin Atkinson and Jon Moss?

17 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I pick the waist because that basically the point where a person's leg starts going up if you want to contact a high ball. Once you get to that point you are starting to get well beyond a regular movement (most play still happens on the ground).

Your examples really don't make sense because in crowds of people a waist height low ball would never be played with a header, that is when you see guys trying to kick the ball away.

You cite these examples of putting your head way low - I would say show clear examples where this resulted in a kick to the head that shouldn't be a red card. Because talking about it proves nothing.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, MoJames said:

Val Kilmer Reaction GIF