EPL 2022-23: Worldo Cuptus Interuptus

maninblack

5 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Leeds is extra scrappy today

I'm telling you, they are going to finish top half, I think they might pull a European slot.

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

bocanegra mcbride keller & dempsey were all on the books at fulham at some point during 2007-2008 so it's possible all 4 were on the pitch at the same time someone else can look it up i stayed up to 3am watching Carlton lose to Collingwood by 1 point

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I'm assuming Fulham had 3 Americans on the pitch at the same time fairly often during that stretch - if they played against Tim Howard it would have been 4 Yanks on the pitch.

Just looked it up: March 16, 2008 Fulham-Everton 5 at once. Starters: Howard for Everton, McBride & Keller for Fulham. Bocanegra (74') and Dempsey (88') subbed on for Fulham.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7284977.stm

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

so what's the gerg-marsch transition plan for the nats

Hopefully none. While I agree Marsch would be a great coach for the Nats, I would prefer he has success as a club manager. I mean the bar to be better than Gergggg isn't that high and I think there are a lot of managers out there that would want the gig.

An interesting season shaping up.

Like most Southampton fans, i am always trying to size up the 3 teams worse than Saints. Not easy to identify any club that is nailed on for relegation this year, much less 3.

Feel like there are going to be some desperation buys here in the next couple of weeks by a lot of clubs. Those who have cash, will splash.

Edited by yoladu

On 8/18/2022 at 6:09 PM, sidis said:

someone talk me out of this...i've had to travel to the u.k. a few times over last few years for various reasons and have schemed to get to a game but whatever circumstances have gotten in the way every time...so i am thinking about doing a trip for the express purpose of going to games...but want to maximize.

i spreadsheeted the season and built a model to maximize game quality, distance efficiency, and near certainty of no chance of overlapping times/days.  someone talk me out of or tell me what i'm not thinking of.

ba direct from austin to lhr on 4/23, arrive 4/24. 

evening of 4/25 (tuesday): whl2.0 for united at spurs.

evening of 4/26 (wednesday): stamford bridge for brentford (who has started pretty scrappy) at chelsea.

weekend of 4/29: arsenal and chelsea at emirates.  arsenal is at home the weekend before but play southampton so i think it is worth to push to the next weekend for a derby. 

the arsenal home game is the one that gives me some consternation and doesn't allow me to book a ticket home yet.  it won't be until probably january or february that they make the schedule that weekend so i won't know if the game ends up being saturday, sunday, or even possibly monday.  champions league is 4/18 and 4/19 so the tuesday/wednesday games are safe and already have established times so i'm pretty confident in those games happening.  but the best fixture of the three is no doubt the derby (and is a good opportunity for arsenal and chelsea to complete their auditions for my new fandom).  that 4/29 weekend also has spurs at liverpool so i don't think arsenal-chelsea necessarily gets moved to sunday or monday but good chance of at least sunday.  anyway, i think i am going to do this.  what am i not considering that fucks this up?

BTW - I saw this a few days back and made a note to follow up.

As a whole - this is a cool idea.

I would note, you want to consider is ability to get tickets to these games. You are talking about 2 big games and another London derby. Now WHL and the Emirates have large capacities. Stamford Bridge has a capacity of 40K+. So hopefully they aren't hard to get tickets. In the end, you should likely get into all of the ticketing systems now to make sure you're eligible for buying tickets (EX, I'm in Spurs system, I wasn't eligible to buy tickets the first 3 months in it).

Beyond that - I would just plan to stay until Tuesday anyway. If Arsenal ends up being a Saturday game or even Sunday, you have an extra day (or 2) in London to see more of the city.

Other ideas: Liverpool-Manchester-Leeds as an area. Just sayin'.

You might also consider some lower division games while you're there.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

BTW - I saw this a few days back and made a note to follow up.

As a whole - this is a cool idea.

I would note, you want to consider is ability to get tickets to these games. You are talking about 2 big games and another London derby. Now WHL and the Emirates have large capacities. Stamford Bridge has a capacity of 40K+. So hopefully they aren't hard to get tickets. In the end, you should likely get into all of the ticketing systems now to make sure you're eligible for buying tickets (EX, I'm in Spurs system, I wasn't eligible to buy tickets the first 3 months in it).

Beyond that - I would just plan to stay until Tuesday anyway. If Arsenal ends up being a Saturday game or even Sunday, you have an extra day (or 2) in London to see more of the city.

Other ideas: Liverpool-Manchester-Leeds as an area. Just sayin'.

You might also consider some lower division games while you're there.

Thanks. 

i am about 99% on making this happen. I pm’d @G650 since he’s experienced with attending Chelsea games and he warned of precisely the same thing. 

what I’m trying to figure out on this is whether or not there is a reliable secondary market forum for buying tix. I have looked at the stubhub.ie site and there are tix for all three games listed (weirdly spurs-United by far most expensive of three). However, looking around about that site, it seems about 50/50 on people getting scammed and the other half being totally happy and satisfied with what they bought. Stubhub basically doesn’t even bother supporting the service. Those aren’t acceptable odds. 

Figure I’ll budget around £2k for tix to all three (with the expectation that brentford-Chelsea should be around 350 or so and the other two being about ~750 a piece to get anything decent. I wouldn’t think that would be an amount to hold me up.  I just don’t know what the proper forum to grab them are. I figure there is absolutely no chance for a new addition to the arsenal system getting tickets to Chelsea derby…even if one of them actually does completely shit the bed and collapse the rest of the season away. but I will jump in all three just to see what happens and try and find a decent secondary market forum as well.  Might jump on the supporter message boards to hit up and swap boards they have. If any of you have done that, let me know. 

will do a central England trip as well…but not until Everton fields a top half of the table club again. The garbage they are serving up right now does not warrant the logistics effort.  I’d like to go experience leeds’ home crowd given their reputation, goodison, anfield, and Trafford when the schedule lines up. 

Just now, ztejas said:

I was scratching my head trying to think of the 7th. Blackburn in '95. How'd that happen? 

Alan Shearer, Chris Sutton, and Tim Sherwood. They finished second the year before.  Got united by a point the year they won…imagine the elation. 

different world, the rest of the top 5 was united, Nottingham forest, Liverpool, and Leeds. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, sidis said:

Chelsea should be around 350 or so and the other two being about ~750 a piece to get anything decent.

I paid $350ish to sit in the leather seat club level at Tottenham on about the 30 yard line.   It was the last home match last year vs Burnley.  100% sold out sans a few hundred nose bleed seats two months out.   I emailed the international liaison for club members and the response was "give us $350 and we will get you a seat by match day"  Got my ticket a day before the match.  I found the secondary market to be sketchy as shit. 

5 minutes ago, midtown said:

I paid $350ish to sit in the leather seat club level at Tottenham on about the 30 yard line.   It was the last home match last year vs Burnley.  100% sold out sans a few hundred nose bleed seats two months out.   I emailed the international liaison for club members and the response was "give us $350 and we will get you a seat by match day"  Got my ticket a day before the match.  I found the secondary market to be sketchy as shit. 

sounds like the primary market is sketchy.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, midtown said:

i just went ahead and paid the 60 bucks to become a onehotspur+ member this morning.  looks like it gives me a 24 hour or so priority on buying tix to games.  just went to the ticketing page for that group and i can currently buy tix to the fulham, leicester, everton, and newcastle games for anywhere ranging 60-300 depending on where.  i get access to the united tix on 3/6 so hopefully i'll be able to grab them then.  there are still a decent number of tickets available for all four of the games currently available (granted they aren't united).  guess i will try to do the same thing for chelsea and arsenal.  worth the 180 gbp to avoid the secondary market shenanigans and the tickets are way cheaper.

incidentally, if anyone needs tickets to a spurs game this season, let me know and i am happy to jump on and grab them for you.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

incidentally, if anyone needs tickets to a spurs game this season, let me know and i am happy to jump on and grab them for you.

Be careful with this.  My ticket specifically mentioned that I would have to show my club ID to use the ticket.   It was not checked but I think the policy for tickets bought based on your standing that they can not go to a public person.   And they can not be transferred unless that person has a CRN

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, midtown said:

Be careful with this.  My ticket specifically mentioned that I would have to show my club ID to use the ticket.   It was not checked but I think the policy for tickets bought based on your standing that they can not go to a public person.   And they can not be transferred unless that person has a CRN

good point.  looks pretty tight on all that.

grabbed the arsenal and chelsea memberships as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

lovely build up.

i would literally trade everton's entire roster top to bottom just to have luis diaz.  could go get a bunch of fat townies around merseyside and put them on with diaz and it would be an absolute upgrade.

Edited by sidis

21 hours ago, sidis said:

Thanks. 

i am about 99% on making this happen. I pm’d @G650 since he’s experienced with attending Chelsea games and he warned of precisely the same thing. 

what I’m trying to figure out on this is whether or not there is a reliable secondary market forum for buying tix. I have looked at the stubhub.ie site and there are tix for all three games listed (weirdly spurs-United by far most expensive of three). However, looking around about that site, it seems about 50/50 on people getting scammed and the other half being totally happy and satisfied with what they bought. Stubhub basically doesn’t even bother supporting the service. Those aren’t acceptable odds. 

Figure I’ll budget around £2k for tix to all three (with the expectation that brentford-Chelsea should be around 350 or so and the other two being about ~750 a piece to get anything decent. I wouldn’t think that would be an amount to hold me up.  I just don’t know what the proper forum to grab them are. I figure there is absolutely no chance for a new addition to the arsenal system getting tickets to Chelsea derby…even if one of them actually does completely shit the bed and collapse the rest of the season away. but I will jump in all three just to see what happens and try and find a decent secondary market forum as well.  Might jump on the supporter message boards to hit up and swap boards they have. If any of you have done that, let me know. 

will do a central England trip as well…but not until Everton fields a top half of the table club again. The garbage they are serving up right now does not warrant the logistics effort.  I’d like to go experience leeds’ home crowd given their reputation, goodison, anfield, and Trafford when the schedule lines up. 

We did this in 2010 right after Xmas and saw Everton at West Ham (after getting drunk at The Boleyn and somehow avoiding getting beat up by skinhead hooligans), then did Bolton at Chelsea where Stu Holden was the best player on the field, but Chelsea snuck out a win (he’s such a big “what if”).  Then went up to Glasgow to see Rangers Celtic at Ibrox.

If you absolutely want to cram in a bunch of games and can fly out before Xmas, you can probably get two games on Boxing Day if you plan it right, then two or three more in that week as the EPL schedules a lot that week.  Miserable time to be there weather and sunlight wise, though.   If you do it later in the year and can time everything right you can get in some cup games (either domestic, Europa or UCL).  

I can’t remember how we bought tickets.   It all seemed really dodgy at the time, but still paid off.  I imagine it has gotten better now and is hopefully virtual.  The really hard thing was getting a bunch together because so many people have a single ticket.  

• Hook 'Em 1