EPL 2022-23: Worldo Cuptus Interuptus

maninblack

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Just saw a text that games this wknd will likely be called off.  It was from one of the 10-20 Spurs fan twitters that I follow.  No idea if its true at all

Likely true but not official yet. As a Chelsea supporter, we could use a few days but sucks for the weekend and an already tight schedule with the World Cup

On 9/5/2022 at 9:49 AM, midtown said:

Were only 6 matches in and the "The entire PL is in cahoots against Arsenal" has already started

we've protested one shitty call which at this point everyone outside of this thread (including gary neville) has said was a terrible call. but uh, yeah, sure, whatever you want to roll with.

besides, the larger point is just how unbelievably shitty EPL officiating is, and how VAR has only made it worse, not better. i didn't think i would ever find officials as incompetent as those in college basketball, but wow does the epl take the cake there. the officiating in our match against zurich today was a breath of fresh air. 

Edited by shadow_operative

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

we've protested one shitty call which at this point everyone outside of this thread (including gary neville) has said was a terrible call. but uh, yeah, sure, whatever you want to roll with.

besides, the larger point is just how unbelievably shitty EPL officiating is, and how VAR has only made it worse, not better. i didn't think i would ever find officials as incompetent as those in college basketball, but wow does the epl take the cake there. the officiating in our match against zurich today was a breath of fresh air. 

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

the queen just died.

• Haha 2

As I am reading that a number of sports are still going on this weekend in England (namely cricket, golf and rugby), I find the cancellation of soccer to be odd. They were told they could play.

And with the potential of next weeks games being in jeopardy (security issues in London), this season is going to be a shit show. 

21 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Isn’t that what the sport wants?  When you have one ref responsible for running the entire field of play, it’s inevitable the refs will be shitty. Is that not by design? 

7 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Next weekend's EPL matches are not looking promising right now. Arsenal's home Europa league match was just postponed due to lack of police for the event.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/12695819/arsenal-vs-psv-europa-league-group-game-postponed-due-to-lack-of-police-dutch-club-say

One quick follow up to this, the bigger issue might just be the London games as the police there are tasked with security around the city. But we will know more in the coming days.

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Next weekend's EPL matches are not looking promising right now. Arsenal's home Europa league match was just postponed due to lack of police for the event.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/12695819/arsenal-vs-psv-europa-league-group-game-postponed-due-to-lack-of-police-dutch-club-say

Feels like we should take the entire month off, in honor of the Queen's passing. Come back after the International Break. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What a ridiculous country. The NFL played a full slate 2 days after JFK got killed. They missed one weekend post-9/11. Some unelected old broad dies of natural causes and they're going to somehow miss two weeks of games in a season where they almost literally can't make them up? 

Looks like seven of the ten Matchweek 8 matches are on this weekend (exceptions being Brighton-Palace, Utd-Leeds, and Chelsea-Liverpool).  At least for now...

Friday 16 September (all kick off times ET)
3pm: Aston Villa v Southampton
3pm: Nottingham Forest v Fulham

Saturday 17 September
7:30am: Wolves v Man City
10am: Newcastle  v AFC Bournemouth
12:30: Spurs v Leicester City
Postponed – Brighton v Crystal Palace

Sunday 18 September
7am: Brentford v Arsenal
9:15am: Everton v West Ham
Postponed – Chelsea v Liverpool
Postponed – Man Utd v Leeds

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2022/09/13/premier-league-games-to-resume-following-pause-to-honor-queen-elizabeth-ii/

Official PL statement:

Spoiler

Premier League fixtures will resume this weekend after a pause to the season as a mark of respect following the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. 

Seven of the 10 Premier League fixtures this weekend will be played, with three matches postponed due to events surrounding The Queen’s funeral.

In addition, kick-off times will change for two Premier League matches.

Matches postponed on Sunday 18 September are Chelsea’s matches against Liverpool at Stamford Bridge, and Manchester United’s home match v Leeds United.

Brighton & Hove Albion’s fixture against Crystal Palace, that was due to be played at 15:00 BST on Saturday 17 September, will also remain postponed.

This weekend’s match schedule is:

Friday 16 September
20:00 Aston Villa v Southampton (Sky Sports)
20:00 Nott'm Forest v Fulham

Saturday 17 September
12:30 Wolves v Man City (BT Sport)
15:00 Newcastle v AFC Bournemouth
17:30 Spurs v Leicester City (Sky Sports)
Postponed Brighton v Crystal Palace

Sunday 18 September
12:00 Brentford v Arsenal (Sky Sports)
14:15 Everton v West Ham (Sky Sports)
Postponed Chelsea v Liverpool 
Postponed Man Utd v Leeds 

Following extensive consultation with clubs, police, local Safety Advisory Groups and other relevant authorities, there was no other option but to postpone the three fixtures.

The Premier League would like to thank the UK Football Policing Unit and other police forces across the country, as well as our broadcast partners, for their support during this process, and will continue to liaise with them ahead of the weekend.

For the matches being played during the period of National Mourning, tributes will be paid to The Queen at Premier League stadiums. 

New dates for the postponed matches will be announced in due course.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2788625

On Tuesday night Jürgen Klopp sounded less than impressed. “He doesn’t wait long,” Liverpool’s manager said. “When he finds a date for that he can call me. In American sports these players have four-month breaks. Does he want to bring the Harlem Globetrotters as well?

“Maybe he can explain that. I’m not sure people want to see that – United players, Liverpool players, City players, Everton players all together. It is not the national team. Did he really say it?”

lol owned

Setting aside the blatant money-grab, the logistical nightmare, and the fact that exactly zero players will want to play in a dumbass all-star game, how fucking dumb would it be to have a North v South game when you could have a UK v World? That might actually be kinda fun.

Man if Todd Boehly turns out to be anything like Ted Lasso, count me in.

That being said, an All-Star game would be the worst. It'd be like doing an international tournament right in the middle of a fucking season. Could you imagine? Like say the NFL decided to do a world wide tournament every 4 years and then bc of logistics they decided to do it right in the middle of the NFL season. NFL is dumb, but not that dumb.

• Haha 1