Austin FC

Bottlecap

3 hours ago, The Maestro said:

Does anyone know why they stopped the game to talk to Cascante?   I wondered it his bra monitor was picking up something unusual, but I’ve never seen anything like that.  

No idea.  They motioned to his head and it kinda looked like a concussion interview, but I don't remember him taking a knock.

And we're terrible in the box.  We started the game brightly because Seattle obviously hadn't scouted us very well.  After the defense saw the first few runs in the box they knew exactly where our guys would go.  I dunno if it's down to the players or the coach, but the movement in the final third sucks.  Similarly, if we don't work the ball to the wings we have a real problem even getting into the final third.  We can't pass our way into it, and we damn sure don't have someone who can consistently beat his man off the dribble in the middle of the field.  Fagundez is a nice player but he'd be much better if the defense had more to worry about.

We need help, quickly.

1 hour ago, The Maestro said:

He cleared a lot of stuff out with headers, but I agree I don’t remember seeing any big knocks.  

Guy sitting next to us was pretty certain it was concussion protocol, and that's definitely what it looked like.  But the timing was really odd -- he hadn't had any big contact before then.

And Manneh's refusal to get open or make a break for open space was maddening.  I yelled about it (encouragingly, but yelled just the same) repeatedly, not realizing his mom was literally directly in front of me.  Maybe she'll pass along my "critique," because I just couldn't understand it.   When we were going down the left side, it was as if we were playing down a man.  Kolmanic would get the ball, and he eventually quit looking downfield, and would just pass it back inside, because Manneh was never in a place to get a pass.

Again, he DID have two good crosses, one of which should have resulted in a goal, so some credit there.  But I can't understand if how he was playing in space (or rather, not doing so) was a matter of skill, coaching, or maybe even on purpose (is that how our coaches WANT him to play for some reason?) 

But dear lord, do we need help up front.  Gallagher was a spark for a few minutes when he came in, but then they seemed to shut him down, and that was that.

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh.

Same problems as always. Too many touches when we’re in close, no ability to finish. Sat behind Manneh’s mom, so I had to bite my tongue some - he refused to get open so often. But he did have two great crosses.

Cecilio had a very Cecilio game as well. A lot of waiting for the ball to come to him follow by bad shots from up close and performative frustration.

Good energy in the supporters section as usual (even following Seattle's ridiculous goal), and generally much less weird than the LAFC game two weeks ago.   Same shitty result - plenty of chances, they just don't have anybody who can score. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Cecilio had a very Cecilio game as well. A lot of waiting for the ball to come to him follow by bad shots from up close and performative frustration.

Good energy in the supporters section as usual (even following Seattle's ridiculous goal), and generally much less weird than the LAFC game two weeks ago.   Same shitty result - plenty of chances, they just don't have anybody who can score. 

Oh, Cecilio was pissing me off.  Didn't go TO the ball (shit, I remember my coach repeatedly yelling this at me when I was fucking EIGHT YEARS OLD).  Futzed around and blew a chance for a shot, or really, it looked to me like his go-to play was to get in the box, try to fake a foul to draw a PK.  I ended up yelling " you play this damned game on your feet, not on your back!" a couple of times.

Also, this was my daughter's first game -- she thought the supporters section looked AWESOME, and she wants to attend a match in those seats.  I pointed out -- see how they're all jumping, on their feet and singing the whole time?  You'll have to do that all game.  She said "yeah, I'm good --  I'm 20."  I told her that I'd talk to you about whether you'll have a spare anytime soon (she's only in town for a few more matches).  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, Cecilio was pissing me off.  Didn't go TO the ball (shit, I remember my coach repeatedly yelling this at me when I was fucking EIGHT YEARS OLD).  Futzed around and blew a chance for a shot, or really, it looked to me like his go-to play was to get in the box, try to fake a foul to draw a PK.  I ended up yelling " you play this damned game on your feet, not on your back!" a couple of times.

Also, this was my daughter's first game -- she thought the supporters section looked AWESOME, and she wants to attend a match in those seats.  I pointed out -- see how they're all jumping, on their feet and singing the whole time?  You'll have to do that all game.  She said "yeah, I'm good --  I'm 20."  I told her that I'd talk to you about whether you'll have a spare anytime soon (she's only in town for a few more matches).  

I bet I can.