Trump’s NFL Flag Bullshit Not Going Away

Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, phdhorn said:

I've never had a problem with these guys taking a knee inasmuch as I've never really thought ball games are the greatest place for the anthem.  You have one, you get the other.

However, I've never thought that this method was the most effective.  It's really not in an arena where the message is forefront, in fact, in some ways I think it kind of demeans the message because they have to "rely" on broadcasts to have a "captive" audience, the significant majority either 1) is deadset against it, and actually hinders the intent of the message, or 2) gives absolutely no shits about it, nor thinks one second about "the message;" and is more likely either grabbing the plate of nachos anyway.  

It's kind of like the #blacklivesmatter people blocking interstates.  It's completely counterproductive and really is way, way out of the scope of the most effective protesting.

But, whatever.

Trump antagonized the whole situation last fall when he called it out.  But the public didn't like it even before that.  If it's a matter of simply expressing protest, fine (Carlos/Smith holla!). But if it's a matter to garner empathy or even more in depth exposure, it's totally the wrong way to go about it.  The public doesn't like it, and one can say the public is a bunch of idiots (whch has always been kind of a condescending, ignorant reaction to me, but again whatever), but it's still the case.

If what they want to do is simply kneel then get on with the game, it's a good idea.  If they have any intent to increase empathy/understanding of the issue, it's a bad idea.

Find us a protest anywhere in American history that didn't start out with majority opposition against it. The public always hates a protest. Public opposition is inherent to the act itself.

Just now, Ted Lange said:

So what do you think Trumps answer would be I feel asked, how should players protest bad cops?

Whatever Populism 101 says.  Trump doesn't lead; her figures out which way the parade is going and jumps to the lead.  And he's very good at it.

Poll Billy Bob.  I live with Billy Bob and think I understand him, which makes it easy for me to predict  Do you?

Billy Bob doesn't like an attack on any US symbols.  I can give you a long, long list.  As soon as I heard that Jane Fonda went to Hanoi I knew how Billy Bob would take it.  He's still mad, fifty years later.  Trump understands Billy Bob and talks to him.

Race is a dimension of the message but far from the most important.  And the problem would exist without a race dimension and wouldn't exist if race were the only dimension.  The Left is making a mistake thinking that this is about race.  That's because they want it to be about race.

There's an easy test to all this: Continue the protest but use a different vehicle.  Don't use the flag, the anthem or the game.  Use something that isn't part of the broadcast, something not visible to the fan in the stands.  I suggest a separate post-game meeting.  If ESPN wants to talk to you say I want part of the interview to be about the issue of police treatment of Blacks.  If you want to hear me talk about the blitz on 3rd and 8, I want to tell you about little Jimmy Washington in Baltimore.  Billy Bob thinks that's fair.  He may not agree.  Some Billys may be racist.  But most will not be offended and Trump will lose his issue.  But the people who want this to be about race will also lose the issue.

2 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

Whatever Populism 101 says.  Trump doesn't lead; her figures out which way the parade is going and jumps to the lead.  And he's very good at it.

Poll Billy Bob.  I live with Billy Bob and think I understand him, which makes it easy for me to predict  Do you?

Billy Bob doesn't like an attack on any US symbols.  I can give you a long, long list.  As soon as I heard that Jane Fonda went to Hanoi I knew how Billy Bob would take it.  He's still mad, fifty years later.  Trump understands Billy Bob and talks to him.

Race is a dimension of the message but far from the most important.  And the problem would exist without a race dimension and wouldn't exist if race were the only dimension.  The Left is making a mistake thinking that this is about race.  That's because they want it to be about race.

There's an easy test to all this: Continue the protest but use a different vehicle.  Don't use the flag, the anthem or the game.  Use something that isn't part of the broadcast, something not visible to the fan in the stands.  I suggest a separate post-game meeting.  If ESPN wants to talk to you say I want part of the interview to be about the issue of police treatment of Blacks.  If you want to hear me talk about the blitz on 3rd and 8, I want to tell you about little Jimmy Washington in Baltimore.  Billy Bob thinks that's fair.  He may not agree.  Some Billys may be racist.  But most will not be offended and Trump will lose his issue.  But the people who want this to be about race will also lose the issue.

giphy.gif

Oh, and fuck Billy Bob. Billy Bob is the problem.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

um, the whole fucking thing is about race. billy bob is pretending that it isn't, because billy bob supports the troops and backs the blue, because them blacks were askin' fer it. billy bob is the fucking county sheriff and he's the fucking problem.

About what I figured.  It is about the flag but just as important to these folks, they want to bury their heads in the sand and not be confronted by it.  ANYWHERE the players protest, Billy Bob is gonna get triggered. While out of the other side of his mouth ramble on incoherently about PC.  

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

also, @TahoeHorn, you ARE aware that #blacklivesmatter is a populist movement, right? 

Absolutely.  And I have numerous posts critical of populism and populists.  I just laid out how advocates of the issue could better serve their cause if that were their goal.  But it isn't.  Their goals are populist crap.

Populists find a real issue and the associated anger and focus on stoking the anger instead of fixing the problem.  They don't want the issue fixed - whether it's Huey Long, Donald Trump, George Wallace, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Yassir Arafat or a Teamster's boss they want the anger.  They don't want the issue causing the anger fixed.  They want a life as spokesman of anger.  I find that contemptible.

Edited by TahoeHorn

Some of y'all who love the idea of liberty and the symbols of liberty, but who don't want to be bothered with even the THOUGHT of protecting that liberty need to take a long hard fucking look in the mirror about what kind of man you are.

• Like 2

It’s been pointed out a couple times already in this thread but the thing I’ve never understood is that taking a knee is actually a sign of respect. Which is probably why our longhorn hero Nate Boyer told Collin to do that instead of sitting on his butt.  

Yet trump wanders in and fucks it all up just like he does with everything else. 

The whole thing is just so ridiculous. 

Billy Bob lost the Civil War , then went back home  and followed all of the federal laws  and constitutional provisions  regarding civil rights and there was no racism ever in The South.  GTFO.

Alabama dumbassary  not going away.

15 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Some of y'all who love the idea of liberty and the symbols of liberty, but who don't want to be bothered with even the THOUGHT of protecting that liberty need to take a long hard fucking look in the mirror about what kind of man you are.

It's wild that people seem to respect a rectangular piece of fabric more than the respect what that piece of fabric represents.

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it's not that it is easier. it's that it provides them with a means to deride others. it's not about respect for the flag at all, i don't think.

The flag, the badge, and the bible are all extremely handy shields for those with bigoted dispositions. 

My favorite fast food place is Wendy's.  (I like their burgers but not so much their fries.)  Wendy's founder was an orphan and supports a lot of orphan-oriented philanthropy.  I also think highly of his philanthropy.  I have no problem with ads supporting that.  I have no problem with signs in a store about it.  But if some cashier, at Wendy's or elsewhere, expected me to listen to their orphan spiel, however brief, I'm picking a ne fast food place.  I would find it offensive.

When I go to an SEC football game and I see people walking to their seat during the national anthem I get pissed.  And so do many others.  Most people heed the many signals of disapproval, stop and show respect.  If they don't the signals often get stronger.  It's part of the culture.  I live in a world where club meetings always begin with a prayer and the pledge.  All clubs I know.  If somebody showed obvious disrespect as a way to protest an issue people would get very, very pissed.

The NFL protest has two strikes against it.  And if they wanted to sell their cause they'd do it without pissing people off.  I think pissing people off is the objective.

For those of you who think the objections to the tactics are about race there is a simple test: Use different tactics.

Don't take my time selling your product and don't show disrespect for US symbols and you won't piss people off.  Do your protest on Colin Cowherd where I don't have to watch to get my NFL game.

My favorite fast food place is Wendy's.  (I like their burgers but not so much their fries.)  Wendy's founder was an orphan and supports a lot of orphan-oriented philanthropy.  I also think highly of his philanthropy.  I have no problem with ads supporting that.  I have no problem with signs in a store about it.  But if some cashier, at Wendy's or elsewhere, expected me to listen to their orphan spiel, however brief, I'm picking a ne fast food place.  I would find it offensive.

I don't understand why this fast food analogy keeps being raised. This is at least the third time. It's an incredibly clumsy analogy.

Don't take my time selling your product and don't show disrespect for US symbols and you won't piss people off.  Do your protest on Colin Cowherd where I don't have to watch to get my NFL game.

Why do we keep discussing the idea that the protests should not "piss people off". It should absolutely piss people off. That's what protests do. They also serve other functions. I would love to know of a protest that was held that never offended anyone.

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Remember when it was flag burning?

Yep. How about when it was wearing a flag pin on your fucking lapel? Republicans actually made the assertion that you're not a patriot if you don't wear a flag pin on your lapel. Their outrage was directed at a particular presidential candidate. There was something different about him from all previous presidential candidates. Can you guess what that difference was?

When I go to an SEC football game and I see people walking to their seat during the national anthem I get pissed.  And so do many others.  Most people heed the many signals of disapproval, stop and show respect.  If they don't the signals often get stronger.  It's part of the culture.  I live in a world where club meetings always begin with a prayer and the pledge.  All clubs I know.  If somebody showed obvious disrespect as a way to protest an issue people would get very, very pissed.

The NFL protest has two strikes against it.  And if they wanted to sell their cause they'd do it without pissing people off.  I think pissing people off is the objective.

For those of you who think the objections to the tactics are about race there is a simple test: Use different tactics.

You know who did use different tactics? The fucking Philadelphia Eagles. And they still get shit on, because the opposition isn't about their tactics but what they're fighting for.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

honestly, it's like people forget that it was a fucking green beret and badass longhorn football player that counseled kaepernick to take a knee rather than sit down, because of the inherent respect that taking a knee engenders. 

This doesn't get enough attention. You would think of all places it would be this place that would take this into consideration.

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Funny, right? The little snowflake is so threatened and whiny about some people taking knee during a song. Poor thing. Fascists love worshipping symbols like flags, pins, and songs.  

someones triggered

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

You're free to protest, as long as you do it the way I want you to, boy!

That's not at all what I said.  I fully support the laws of our country of free speech.  I think the NFL and players and Wendy's should do what they think is in their interest.  But I'm not going to buy a product from a business which insists on raping my ear.

Just now, TahoeHorn said:

That's not at all what I said.  I fully support the laws of our country of free speech.  I think the NFL and players and Wendy's should do what they think is in their interest.  But I'm not going to buy a product from a business which insists on raping my ear.

I mean you literally said

19 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

Do your protest on Colin Cowherd where I don't have to watch to get my NFL game.

3 hours ago, slorch said:

IMHO, the fact that they demonstrate during the anthem without governmental interference only bolsters the liberty and freedom they allege not to exist.

"Without governmental interference" is debatable, at best.  Not sure how you can just blow right past that issue.

3 minutes ago, scottsins said:

"Without governmental interference" is debatable, at best.  Not sure how you can just blow right past that issue.

You're saying that the President saying all those folks should be fired is some sort of government interference? He is only saying it about black people and not Tahoe or Slorch, so how can that be?

Edited by Dahobbs

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I mean you literally said

Yes I did. 

I totally support the right of NFL owners and players to protest within the law.  They are acting within the law and I support their right to continue.  They are not providing a product I like watching.

I totally support Joe's Fast Food's decision to let its cashier give me their political views when I buy food.  I won't, however, go to Joe's Fast Food.  Get it?

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You're saying that the President saying all those folks should be fired is some sort of government interference?

There’s actually a law against public officials trying to influence the employment status of someone in the private sector based on political beliefs.

maxium penalty is 15 years in prison. 

26 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yep. How about when it was wearing a flag pin on your fucking lapel? Republicans actually made the assertion that you're not a patriot if you don't wear a flag pin on your lapel. Their outrage was directed at a particular presidential candidate. There was something different about him from all previous presidential candidates. Can you guess what that difference was?

They did the same thing to Kerry, Clinton, Dukakis...

'What is it about the Pledge of Allegiance that upsets him so much?'' Mr. Bush said of Mr. Dukakis, as an enthusiastic crowd roared its agreement. ''It is very hard for me to imagine that the Founding Fathers - Samuel Adams and John Hancock and John Adams -would have objected to teachers leading students in the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of the United States.''

The right declares their opponents unpatriotic; the left declares their opponents racist. Everybody wins or something.

Trump 2020 - Putting the Bully in Bully Pulpit.

Edited by Mole

22 hours ago, David Dennison said:

The only reason this is an issue is because Colin Kaepernick had the audacity to be black. If I white player had started doing this for any reason whatsoever, the White House wouldn't have said a word.

Our president is a racist and the people who support him politically support racism.

actually i don't think trump is racist. he is just selfish and doesn't care about inequality

the distinction is all over this thread actually. 

people are yelling "racist" and then others (like slorch) yell "race baiting". really you are both at fault and both talking past each other

issue is inequality. some people care about it (most of us) some people don't (slorches). 

what is important is that we have parts of our society treated different than other parts. and i love that NFL players are trying to shed light on that. its a wonderful protest really, too bad they will just get bought out (they get paid shitloads) and it will eventually wash away. unless our dumbass president keeps trying to further divide, which as i type, yeah, thats his MO

1 minute ago, staboner said:

actually i don't think trump is racist. he is just selfish and doesn't care about inequality

people are yelling "racist" and then others (like slorch) yell "race baiting". really you are both at fault and both talking past each other

issue is inequality. some people care about it (most of us) some people don't (slorches). 

what is important is that we have parts of our society treated different than other parts. and i love that NFL players are trying to shed light on that. its a wonderful protest really, too bad they will just get bought out (they get paid shitloads) and it will eventually wash away. unless our dumbass president keeps trying to further divide, which as i type, yeah, thats his MO

He's a racist. Just look at his public statements about the Central Park Five and his actions as a landlord in New York. It's pretty clear cut.

• Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He's a racist. Just look at his public statements about the Central Park Five and his actions as a landlord in New York. It's pretty clear cut.

I think you can easily test theories about people's motives.  You just have to collect the data and look for the patterns.  You see which priorities rank highest.  When two priorities are present which prevails?

If you see any pattern to Trump's motives other than self-interest and ego I'd like to hear it.  I think his positions are totally without principle and flexible.  I see no positive and no negative motives.  That includes race. 

If you believe otherwise show me an example where he was racist when he perceived that there was a cost to that.  Hell show me anything he has done at a price to his selfish interests or ego.

Edited by TahoeHorn

7 minutes ago, Mole said:

They did the same thing to Kerry, Clinton, Dukakis...

The right declares their opponents unpatriotic; the left declares their opponents racist. Everybody wins or something.

Trump 2020 - Putting the Bully in Bully Pulpit.

The truth is that Democrats are every bit as patriotic as Republicans. If you're a white racist in America today, the overwhelming probability is that you're voting Republican. 

2 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

I think you can easily test theories about people's motives.  You just have to collect the data and look for the patterns.  You see which priorities rank highest.  When two priorities are present which prevails?

If you see any pattern to Trump's motives other than self-interest and ego I'd like to hear it.  I think his positions are totally without principle and flexible.  I see no positive and no negative motives.  That includes race. 

The data and patterns indicate racism. He's a racist. 

I listed two. There are others including, but not limited to, his reaction to Charlottesville and his stance on the NFL kneeling controversy.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Fuck You 1

50 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

The problem is that they have used different tactics.  Black people have protested against police brutality and societal oppression in many ways for a long time now.  But no matter what method they use--sit-ins, kneeling, peaceful protests, marches--according to people like you and the people you support it is always wrong.  The reason is because you don't actually care about the method of protest that they use.  The problem that you and the people you support have with the protests is the message that is being sent; you and the people you support benefit from and support the oppression that black people have faced throughout the entire history of this country and want to see it continue.  The "method of protest" complaint is nothing more than a pretext for your actual concern--that black people may use these protests, whatever form they take, to achieve equality.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, staboner said:

i don't think the issue is whether or not he is a racist, though i believe he is. however, he's massively self-interested and he is also aware that a not insignificant part or his 35% unshakable base is comprised of racists and bigots. and not every racist drops n-bombs, nor does a bigoted person always embrace racism. there are some shining examples of ignorant bigotry on this thread alone. 

he's latched onto this issue for the same reason there were good people on both sides in charlottesville.  

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This flag nonsense isn’t about race for Trump.  

It’s about HIM! 

Like everything else Trump says and does.

Very racist of you Hugo.

Suggesting this is more bait for the left to shoot themselves in the foot, ignoring black lives... Do you think black lives don't matter?

Edit: also, didn't he start out by sitting on the bench during the anthem then the Longhorn got him to do a more formal protest like taking the knee?

Edited by Bill Clinton
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He wouldn't have said a peep if a white guy took a knee to protest something. So it's about race.

If a white guy took a knee, it probably wouldn't have been picked up by every news outlet in America...and regurgitated as daily clickbait by every clickbait/news outlet in America.   

Because divisive race issues get clicks/attention.  

It's the attention that gets Trump talking about it.  Narcissist need attention.    This gets him that attention.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The truth is that Democrats are every bit as patriotic as Republicans. If you're a white racist in America today, the overwhelming probability is that you're voting Republican. 

There's a distinction between voting patterns of racists and opposition to Obama being largely driven by race, which is what you suggested. Republicans said the same things about Obama's patriotism that they said about every previous D candidate. It's certainly disingenuous, but how did it suddenly become racist to do so? If I'm a jerk to everyone, being a jerk to a black man doesn't mean I'm a racist; it just means that I'm a jerk. It's a political game rather than an honest statement to reflexively declare racism.  

That doesn't mean that there aren't racists voting R just like there are America haters voting D, but it isn't honest to play these political games.

I think the opposition to kneeling is ridiculous, but it largely isn't an issue of racism. It's largely a battle over the Amerian civic religion.