Trump’s NFL Flag Bullshit Not Going Away

Hugo Stiglitz

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, hey, the NFL still has no idea what it is doing.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/19/630635898/ap-miami-dolphins-players-who-protest-during-anthem-might-be-suspended

The National Football League and the NFL Players Association have agreed to suspend enforcement of new rules requiring players to stand during the pregame rendition of the national anthem, after a report that the Miami Dolphins would fine and/or suspend players for up to four games for violating the policy.

After Goodell's gig with the NFL is over, he's got a bright future in crisis management.  Individuals and companies are going to line up to get his ideas on how to handle a crisis and then do the exact opposite.

Edited by kevwun

Beat up your girlfriend and the NFL suspends you for 2 games.  Peaceful protest before a game, 4 game suspension for the Dolphins.    And no one used to care about the anthem.  TV wouldn't even show it for normal games.  Networks would prefer to have the pre-game on, or show commercials.

Football is a weird group.  Very conservative ownership but completely dependent on the stars of the game who are overwhelmingly African-American.   If one major white player (Watt, Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben) decides to kneel and its over for the owners.  

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

11 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Oh, hey, the NFL still has no idea what it is doing.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/19/630635898/ap-miami-dolphins-players-who-protest-during-anthem-might-be-suspended

The National Football League and the NFL Players Association have agreed to suspend enforcement of new rules requiring players to stand during the pregame rendition of the national anthem, after a report that the Miami Dolphins would fine and/or suspend players for up to four games for violating the policy.

Whatever the worst decision might be that they could make regarding this issue...  is going to fucking happen.

Zero true leadership among the owners.

POTUS needs to STFU and let the NFL figure their shit out.  It is indeed, an exercise in liberty, regardless.

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trump is still pissed that the nfl wouldn’t let him own a team/he didn’t have enough wealth to buy one.

still amazing that the POTUS is publicly trying to get the nfl commish fired.  

I agree. While it is his right to comment, why?????

Idiotic and beneath the President.  That seems to be his MO. 

2 hours ago, slorch said:

I agree. While it is his right to comment, why?????

Idiotic and beneath the President.  That seems to be his MO. 

Its obvious why he's doing this. He knows this issue is a race issue that triggers many in his base and he's exploiting it. George Wallace was as subtle.

22 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Its obvious why he's doing this. He knows this issue is a race issue that triggers many in his base and he's exploiting it. George Wallace was as subtle.

I went was watching a lot of mid century politics stuff on YouTube in 2016 and saw some George Wallace speeches.  It was eye opening how eerily similar to Trumps. 

• 1 month later...

You know you're a racist piece of shit when you equate **the protest** of cops killing civilians with an attack on the United States. 

Cops killing civilians, shooting unarmed civilians in the back for example, is fine. But to protest that IS OMG AN ATTACK. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

The NFL has to be thrilled that Nike took the heat off them on opening week of the season. 

Did they?  Or did they just throw more gas on the fire?

I really don't see where Nike thinks there is an upside here.  But then, I never understood the logic of any corporation risking to alienate customers over a political position.  It doesn't matter which side you are on...that's just dumb business in my humble opinion.  Even if you think 99% of your customer base is in the same corner as you on the position, why even go there?  Where is the upside?

15 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Did they?  Or did they just throw more gas on the fire?

I really don't see where Nike thinks there is an upside here.  But then, I never understood the logic of any corporation risking to alienate customers over a political position.  It doesn't matter which side you are on...that's just dumb business in my humble opinion.  Even if you think 99% of your customer base is in the same corner as you on the position, why even go there?  Where is the upside?

Angry, old racist white men don't buy $100+ Nike's.

Younger consumers want to feel connected to a brand and support companies that share their values. I bet this ultimately helps sales.

On 7/20/2018 at 9:10 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Beat up your girlfriend and the NFL suspends you for 2 games.  Peaceful protest before a game, 4 game suspension for the Dolphins.    And no one used to care about the anthem.  TV wouldn't even show it for normal games.  Networks would prefer to have the pre-game on, or show commercials.

Football is a weird group.  Very conservative ownership but completely dependent on the stars of the game who are overwhelmingly African-American.   If one major white player (Watt, Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben) decides to kneel and its over for the owners.  

Disagree.

It isn’t race based, as much as the lefties would love for everyone to believe.

I’m no fan of Xhris Long’s politics either. He. Ain’t that black...

No way people are really boycotting Nike.

And like the other poster said: people boycotting are wearing Dad shoes (New Balance or Fila's from Kohl's), not hip/cool Nike shoes, to begin with. This is too funny.