Trump’s NFL Flag Bullshit Not Going Away

Hugo Stiglitz

15 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

You are making it very difficult to believe you are not some euro based Russian paid troll. What planet are you posting from? Let’s start there. 

JimmyJames, first all, who are YOU? How do we know you aren't some trollbot. Never heard of you before this thread.

I'm posting from planet earth, but, Where is Everybody*?

*Where is everybody redirects to E. Fermi and you can dive into the various reasons why it is theorized intelligent life hasn't contacted earth.

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

But the Chinese are, among others.

Indeed.  China is 1/3 of the revenue Nike has in the USA..

How do you think the ChiComs feel about political dissent?

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Um, does he see into the future?

ETA: won't it be fucking nice when we have a president that doesn't give a fuck about TV ratings for private companies?

or one hell bent on dividing the country. 

seems like we may need to add that to the oath or some shit

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

Can we get a running list of all the over-privileged prima donna haters of America who refuse to respect our flag every Sunday plz?

Man who says "America isn't great" elected to president.

His supporters call people traitors who bring up issues of injustice by protesting.

Make your own list you fucking mouth-breather.

3 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I will never understand people who place more emotional bond on symbols of freedom, than the actual freedoms those symbols represent.

This.  Here's the oath of enlistment for a soldier:

"I, (state name of enlistee), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

See anything in there about the flag?  Nope.  See the Constitution (which includes the First Amendment) EXPRESSLY mentioned?  See how they take an oath to defend the whole thing -- including the First Amendment -- against ALL enemies, foreign and domestic?

The oath of the members of our armed forces has nothing to do with protecting some made-up sanctity of a piece of cloth, PARTICULARLY at the expense of the promise they ACTUALLY made, to defend the Constitution, the rights embedded therein, and necessarily, the exercise of those rights by the people. 

In short, under their oath, if required to take up arms with respect to someone not standing for the flag and the anthem, the oath would require a soldier to defend the kneeler, not the flag.  But none of that matters in this made-up bullshit world that we currently occupy.  Telling a bunch of black fellas "boy, I said STAND UP!" is more important than respecting the exercise of freedom that soldiers actually swore an oath to protect.  Fucking world turned upside down.

• Like 1

The flag has value, at least to many folks, it does.  The anthem is generally accepted as a tribute/ audible representation of that value. They repres3nt the liberty that says nobody should ever be made to stand for them.

The Constitution is infinitely more valuable. Agreed on that point.

Throughout this whole ordeal, I can’t stand the idea that the two concepts are one in the same.

Edited by slorch

11 minutes ago, slorch said:

Throughout this whole ordeal, I can’t stand the idea that the two concepts are one in the same.

And to me, that's the key.

The flag, the anthem....they all yield to the superior -- that is, the Constitution, and the exercise of rights thereunder.

If soldiers were ordered to defend that flag/anthem versus folks who "disrespected" them, OR, to defend the folks exercising their Constitutional right, that's not even a close call.

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

I will never understand people who place more emotional bond on symbols of freedom, than the actual freedoms those symbols represent.

You're talking about people who get angry that some black guy takes a knee during the national anthem, but these same people have no problem going to Walmart and buying a Chinese-made pair of American flag shorts, and they then plop their American-flag-clad ass down in a Chinese-made American flag lawn chair.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

You're talking about people who get angry that some black guy takes a knee during the national anthem, but these same people have no problem going to Walmart and buying a Chinese-made pair of American flag shorts, and they then plop their American-flag-clad ass down in a Chinese-made American flag lawn chair.

Their generation is also the only one to spit on soldiers.  And this whole thing is being led by captain bone spurs.

New theory. Trump overplayed his hand here. This stuff worked last year  on short timeframe as sort of a gut reaction level, but the more Trump points out the protests the more people have time and opportunity to digest what’s going on, which leads to more people concluding that it’s not such a big deal and Kaep is not out of line. 

It’s like every repetition of this allows Kaep’s camp to explain in understandable terms their position better. 

12 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Slorch, I know I give you a lot of shit on this board, but you deserve some props for your consistent stance on this issue. Not just that I happen to agree with you, but the fact that you are very vocal about an opinion that doesn’t necessarily coincide with most of the people who generally align with you.

Co-sign.  The approach is appreciated and respected.

He isn’t just happy that almost every player is standing again. Now the anthem has to be shown on tv. If that happens he’ll move the goalposts again because he doesn’t care and never cared. It’s just another slab of red meat for the morons that still believe in him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

New theory. Trump overplayed his hand here. This stuff worked last year  on short timeframe as sort of a gut reaction level, but the more Trump points out the protests the more people have time and opportunity to digest what’s going on, which leads to more people concluding that it’s not such a big deal and Kaep is not out of line. 

It’s like every repetition of this allows Kaep’s camp to explain in understandable terms their position better. 

The Nate Boyer connection is the story and Beto's people should have it on 11 and run with the pic of Nate..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2018/09/07/former-green-beret-nate-boyer-on-colin-kaepernick-its-ok-to-be-different/111290108/

When Kaepernick and I met and talked just six days later, a few hours before the 49ers were set to play the San Diego Chargers, we discussed a lot, but more importantly we listened to each other. I wanted him to stand and he had pledged to sit during the anthem, but we found middle ground: Colin would take a knee, making his statement about police brutality while also respecting the men and women who fought and died for what our flag is supposed to represent.

usa-today-8094120.0.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

He isn’t just happy that almost every player is standing again. Now the anthem has to be shown on tv. If that happens he’ll move the goalposts again because he doesn’t care and never cared. It’s just another slab of red meat for the morons that still believe in him. 

It's all he has. His approval rating is in the toilet with a booming economy and his administration is falling apart.

He knows his presidency is failing. That can't be easy.

Probably completely wrong, but skittles sitting on the sidelines just looks like somebody waiting for the damn game to start. 

If he did indeed have a message, I did not mean to demean his demonstration.. Just going by past experiences with Marshawn…

50 minutes ago, slorch said:

Probably completely wrong, but skittles sitting on the sidelines just looks like somebody waiting for the damn game to start. 

If he did indeed have a message, I did not mean to demean his demonstration.. Just going by past experiences with Marshawn…

That's actually how all of this started.  Kaepernick first sat for the anthem.  Only after speaking with former Horn and Green Beret, Nate Boyer, did they come up with the demonstration of kneeling....

4 hours ago, Parliament said:

Is sitting meant to convey the same meaning as kneeling?

51 minutes ago, slorch said:

Pretty sure his message is "Fuck Trump"

marshawn.0.png

On 9/8/2018 at 8:37 PM, slorch said:

Indeed.  China is 1/3 of the revenue Nike has in the USA..

How do you think the ChiComs feel about political dissent?

Its funny that you think Nike is going to lose US revenue over this.  Furthermore, its funny that the left thinks Nike gives a shit about social justice.  Its entirely a marketing ploy and it will be successful.  Nike customers trend younger and less white than the US population as a whole. Nike doesn't care at all about the country singer burning his socks he bought at Marshall's based on price alone.  In fact, Nike already made their money off those irregular socks.  They care about the people buying items with high profit margins.  There are probably less than a handful of people in the country who are so MAGA that they give a shit about boycotting Nike and who also were prior consumers of high end Nike shoes or clothing.  However, they now might sell some Air Force 1's to a hipster that used to like Adidas, or some running shoes to a runner who used to buy New Balance.  And do you really think that MAGA folks run?  Nike already dominate the basketball shoe market, so there is probably no movement to make there. 

Team branded apparel agreements aren't going anywhere either, so MAGA people like Iconoclast are still going to be rocking Nike Texans gear.  So far the burnings seem to only be socks and low end worn out shoes.

Comment on Deadspin I thought was interesting.  True 8D chess.

Having the uncoolest of uncool people publicly destroy your merchandise is genius level marketing akin to getting a PMRC “PARENTAL ADVISORY” sticker slapped on your group’s record in the late 80s/early 90s.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Only DOTUS could make Nike look like the good guy.

Fuck, he's already made KJU look like a tactical genius, Emmanuel Macron look like the leader of the free world, Michael Cohen look sympathetic, Michael Avenatti look like Clarence Darrow, and Stormy Daniels look like a freedom fighter.  Frankly, the best thing in the world for your image is to be on the opposite side of Donald Trump.

Oh for fuck's sake people.....

That was yesterday.

This morning.... YTD.

31 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Comment on Deadspin I thought was interesting.  True 8D chess.

This is exactly correct..... People who thought this would hurt Nike stock in some sort of dramatic way are ignorant folks who don't have a basic understanding of investing, finance, economics, or marketing.  It's "cool" to tell the worst president in American history to Fuck Off.... JFC.  This so silly it's making my brain hurt.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It's "cool" to tell the worst president in American history to Fuck Off.... JFC.  This so silly it's making my brain hurt.

Well, it's kinda like hitting a pinata when it's sitting on the ground.  It may not be very challenging....but you still get a shitload of candy out of the deal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1