$1.78 million too beaucoup!

Goredho

Sophy Treadway was indicted on felony theft charges for allegedly stealing more than $60,000 from Rockport Donuts owners Matthew and Sopheak Otero in Rockport City, Texas, in 2019. On Aug. 17, Treadway was found not guilty of felony theft in Aransas County. 

She previously filed a human trafficking lawsuit in August 2019 against the Oteros, claiming that she was forced to work at the donuts shop for 112 hours every week for a salary of $75 per month. However, the shop owners previously denied the accusations and dismissed them as Treadway’s form of revenge for being reported to the police for stealing. 

Matthew claimed Treadway to be his wife’s niece. He admitted to paying $20,000 for a visa to bring Treadway from Cambodia to Rockport, but said they were not forcing her to work long hours or holding her against her will. 

The federal court sided with Treadway and awarded her $1.78 million in the human trafficking lawsuit in April. The Oteros then filed to appeal the case in June. 

“I’m glad that the case is over and that the Rockport owners can no longer use that as a scapegoat to say that they’re not guilty of human trafficking,” Xenos Yuen, one of Treadway’s attorneys, reportedly said of Treadway’s recent acquittal.

The money Treadway was accused of stealing was her tips from customers, according to Yuen. Jurors also learned that the shop’s bookkeeper was a partial owner who had no accounting experience. Moreover, a Rockport Police Department officer testified that they did not have a qualified forensic auditor to determine theft.

The Oteros’ attorney has not commented on Treadway’s acquittal.

https://nextshark.com/cambodian-woman-accused-of-stealing-60k-acquitted/

30 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

$60k in tips? Damn

She got awarded $1,780,000 for being forced to work ungodly hours between 2009 and 2020.  $161,818 a year for slinging donuts.

My employer better watch the fuck out!

Edit:  Not trying to downplay human trafficking, these people deserve the punitive damages for being modern-day slave owners.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

$60k in tips? Damn

that's a lot of blow jobs is my guess

im from that 'area' and been in / around rockport plenty (great golf course). rockport is full of shitty people, hard to explain 

Edited by tx 3 putt

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

that's a lot of blow jobs is my guess

im from that 'area' and been in / around rockport plenty (great golf course). rockport is full of shitty people, hard to explain 

It's a weird mix of beach trash, wealthy retirees, oil patch, weekenders, and meth heads. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I used to go to Rockport a lot with my kids before we moved to Colorado.  Rockport Donuts was always a stop because kids love donuts.  I wish I'd have known I could probably have super sized my donuts order to include a happy ending.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I used to go to Rockport a lot with my kids before we moved to Colorado.  Rockport Donuts was always a stop because kids love donuts.  I wish I'd have known I could probably have super sized my donuts order to include a happy ending.

You gotta ask for the Cinnamon Twist with cream filling. 

Rockport feels like it’s doubled in size in the last 15 years, might have. It’s definitely lost some of its charm.   I was down to crossing the t’s and dotting the lowercase j’s from purchasing a place in KA right after Harvey and I pussied out; it was a done deal. I regret it at least 2x a week.   

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Rockport feels like it’s doubled in size in the last 15 years, might have. It’s definitely lost some of its charm.   I was down to crossing the t’s and dotting the lowercase j’s from purchasing a place in KA right after Harvey and I pussied out; it was a done deal. I regret it at least 2x a week.   

shitty neighbors, that’s all I’ll say 

15 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Having been a weekender there for a decade I’ve taken the kids there for donuts many a Saturday morning. I recognize all faces in that story.

Same, pretty much.  Apparently this dude ran for mayor in 2020?

D5610ABA-0F8B-4277-BED9-7008C6A992F0.png

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

See you in hell, bro