Scott Frost - a very rich unemployed person

immamac

12 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I'm off to find some recordings:

From The Athletic article on the OU-Nebraska game:

https://theathletic.com/3603202/2022/09/17/nebraska-observation-oklahoma-urban-meyer/

Found it free...

Spoiler

LINCOLN, Neb. — The first game that Mickey Joseph coached in charge of the Nebraska football team, a 49-14 loss Saturday against Oklahoma at Memorial Stadium, and the last game he started at quarterback for the Huskers, a 45-10 loss against the Sooners in 1990, looked strangely similar.

They were not. Three decades ago, the woes for Nebraska in this storied rivalry rated as an anomaly, a smudge on the program’s exemplary record. The end of that season helped push the Huskers in a new direction to recruit speed and play more aggressively, giving birth to the greatest five-year run ever at the school and three national championship seasons.

The fourth game of this sunken season for Nebraska exposed a deep stain. It is a troubled football program. Until the Huskers face that reality — the process began six days earlier with the firing of Scott Frost as coach — they cannot move forward.

If Saturday represented the start of Nebraska’s climb, it’s staring at a steep hill.

After 13 consecutive defeats by single-digit margins, all in the past 19 games dating to November 2020, the bottom fell out for Nebraska against Oklahoma. These Huskers are not close to turning a corner, as Frost implored repeatedly during the almost-unfathomable stretch of tight defeats, which served to simply reinforce his coaching inadequacies.

And the debacle that we saw Saturday, after fans chanted for Urban Meyer during Fox’s “Big Noon Kickoff” pregame show staged nearby on campus, was unequivocally not the fault of Joseph.

“This is on me,” the interim coach said. “Not my players. Not my assistant coaches. I’ve got to do a better job.”

The Huskers disagreed.

“That’s what he’s supposed to say,” safety Myles Farmer said. “As a team, we know it’s not on him.”

Said tight end Travis Vokolek: “It’s not on him. We’re the players. He can say that. He’s a coach. But we’re the players. We’re the ones out there making plays. So it’s on us, and we’ll take responsibility for that.”

Should it be a surprise that Joseph was quick to take responsibility after a key message from athletic director Trev Alberts in firing Frost focused on accountability?

Joseph was modeling what he wants to see from his team and what Alberts wants in a coach.

“I’ve got to do a better job,” he said.

This loss was on all the coaches and players who played a part in allowing Nebraska to sink this far. It was on administrators who fostered an environment for gossip and dysfunction to grow. Like Brenden Stai, an assistant AD, on Friday who aired his grievances over more than an hour about Frost and Nebraska into a hot mic recorded online during breaks in a Lincoln radio show.

Stai talked of Frost’s poor work habits and of issues that involve the Nebraska roster.

It’s all just so self-sabotaging. And it’s the predominant way Nebraska has conducted its business for many years.

Saturday against Oklahoma showed Nebraska in a free fall. The Sooners exposed the Huskers for who they are — an ailing program nowhere near the breakthrough promised since before the day the former coach took command.

Let’s talk about Meyer. He was in town with Fox and set up shop Saturday morning outside of the Nebraska Union for the network’s national preview program.

Nebraska fans noticed.

CBS Sports reported that Meyer had been contacted by Nebraska, though not necessarily to gauge his interest in the open coaching job. By Saturday, he’d been in Lincoln for parts of three days. Stands to reason that more than a few people associated with the Huskers, including the AD Alberts, would have had contact with him.

Based on my discussions with people inside and outside of this state connected to the coaching industry, I do not expect Meyer to emerge as a candidate for the Nebraska job.

His presence in the conversation serves only to portray more serious candidates more negatively. None of them have won three national championships as Meyer did as Florida and Ohio State. Also, none of them come with his baggage from college and the NFL.

It’s not a likely match, Nebraska and Meyer.

What about Joseph? He didn’t do anything to sink his candidacy by losing big against Oklahoma. Joseph said he could have more adequately readied the Huskers. Nebraska again didn’t tackle well and it allowed 580 yards of offense a week after surrendering 642 against Georgia Southern.

The Sooners could have passed 700 if they’d taken the second half seriously.

But Joseph had less than six days as interim coach before kickoff. Fans move on fast from a fired coach. It’s not the same for players. Many of the Huskers struggled through the past week.

“He sat in our living rooms,” linebacker Nick Henrich said of Frost. “We believed in him. Now we believe in coach Joseph and what he’s doing. It’s been a tough week. I think the guys did a good job of sticking together.”

Said Vokolek: “We all loved coach Frost. He did a great job here. I love him. He’s a father figure to me. But it’s a business. Firings happen. We were obviously upset. But we’ve got to move on. Coach Mickey is a great coach, a great dude. I love him to death. I’m glad he’s leading our football team.”

Nebraska, at 1-3, turns its attention to a bye week. Joseph said he expects to evaluate the Huskers’ performance and consider changes.

“We’re going to dissect this film, and we’re going to find some kids who were doing what we asked them to do,” Joseph said. “We’re going to find the kids who can tackle and who can block and do the right things. And we’re going to increase their reps if they weren’t a starter.”

Asked if he would reassess coaching roles, he said, “I can’t see that right now.”

Alberts will judge Joseph on his ability to keep the Huskers engaged and working hard. Wins and losses matter, too, of course. After the bye, Nebraska hosts Indiana. The Hoosiers beat Western Kentucky 33-30 in overtime Saturday to improve to 3-0 and visit Cincinnati before traveling to Lincoln. Nebraska then plays at Rutgers and Purdue in consecutive weeks before another bye.

Evaluate Joseph on that trio of Big Ten games.

Alberts, in making the move to replace Frost with Joseph, said the Huskers needed to hear a “new voice.”

Nebraska’s offensive captain agreed.

“Coach Mickey said we started 0-0 with him being the coach,” Vokolek said. “I think that’s good for us. We took away the Blackshirts. I think that’s good for us. Guys are adapting well. Today stunk, obviously. But we’re just super excited for this bye week. To have another opportunity with the guys is something I’m looking forward to.”

Most of the scenes Saturday in Lincoln were stark. Memorial Stadium began to empty at halftime as the Huskers trailed 35-7. In the press box, visiting national writers prepared their latest rounds of obits on Nebraska football early in the third quarter after Trey Palmer fumbled on the first play and the Sooners scored again in less than two minutes.

When OU went up 49-7, I thought of 1997. That’s when Nebraska, with Frost as the starting quarterback, scored three touchdowns in the final 20 minutes to beat Oklahoma 69-7. It remains the largest margin of victory in the series.

Brent Venables, the Sooners’ first-year coach, went easy on Nebraska. OU didn’t score again after its seventh touchdown with 8:59 left in the third quarter. Nebraska inserted backup QB Chubba Purdy, who finished 7-of-11 passing and scored on an 8-yard run with 3:17 to play.

Casey Thompson, the Nebraska starter, hit 14 of 20 throws for 129 yards. His 32-yard touchdown pass to Palmer put Nebraska on top 7-0 after the Huskers got a defensive stop against Dillon Gabriel and the Sooners to open the game.

That was it for Nebraska momentum. Fast, the Sooners asserted control, starting with a 61-yard Gabriel TD scamper on a third-and-7 play with the volume cranked up. It was the first of many clear signs that Oklahoma, even after an offseason of turmoil and transfers that followed the departure of coach Lincoln Riley to USC, held a major talent advantage against Nebraska.

“We’ve got to do a better job in recruiting,” Joseph said. “They had better skill players.”

He tried to walk it back a bit. “We have really good skill players also. We’ve just got to get them to execute.”

The truth was right there, for everyone to see. Whomever is coaching Nebraska next season faces a challenge just to get it on the level of a mediocre Big Ten team.

Up next, the fate of Nebraska’s sellout streak. It reached 385 games Saturday. Starting Oct. 1 against Indiana, tickets remain available for each conference home game.

And, of course, the coaching search continues.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/17/2022 at 8:55 AM, trza-hawk said:

Trev Alberts and Chris Klieman have known each other since middle school in Cedar Falls Waterloo Iowa. This fact is all the rage in Nebraska right now.

Jesus. 

"Guys - I know we've been irrelevant for 20 years - but our AD and this guy that hasn't had any success at the FBS level yet were pals in 6th grade!"

On 9/17/2022 at 2:02 PM, AeroHorn said:

- The cold was biting. I remember -40F with wind blowing snow horizontally and me trying to figure out where the sidewalk is. Summers were great. Biked everywhere.

This is funny you mention, I've told people for years the coldest I've ever been was in Des Moines, Iowa in the winter. It was like infinity billion below zero and howling wind.

On 9/15/2022 at 3:25 PM, Royalfan5 said:

I will say there is enough sentiment that if Mickey Joseph can string together something this fall, that the fans and boosters would happily give him a crack at things, and just figure that we knew we needed a 90’s QB, we just had the wrong one.

If we're shooting for a former QB, I think I'd prefer Zac Taylor.

No Urban

No BOB

The Frost stories keep leaking out of Lincoln.  

On the Huskers subreddit, one of the things that Frost did a lot was golf.  Nothing wrong with that, but apparently, he spent so much time in the golf team's virtual simulator, the golf team complained to the AD because they couldn't use it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The Frost stories keep leaking out of Lincoln.  

On the Huskers subreddit, one of the things that Frost did a lot was golf.  Nothing wrong with that, but apparently, he spent so much time in the golf team's virtual simulator, the golf team complained to the AD because they couldn't use it.

C'mon, Frost. Corn's golf team has tournaments to lose!

9 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

True or False: through thick, thin and awful, Nebraska has something like 690 consecutive home sellouts. If true, that’s pretty fucking amazing in these days of shrinking attendance trends.

From what I’ve heard there are corporate interests that buy up any unsold tickets as necessary in order to keep that streak alive. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

From what I’ve heard there are corporate interests that buy up any unsold tickets as necessary in order to keep that streak alive. 

Don’t doubt what you say. I confess I have not viewed a Nebraska game in many moons to see if some areas of “sold” tickets are masquerading as empty seats.

Last week vs ULM a good third of frat block seating at Bryant-Denny were vacant by 10:00 of 3rd quarter, a good 4,000 seats. I would contribute to seizing said frat block sests and hand those tix out to kids otherwise unable to attend. Entitled Spaldings - phooey on them.

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Its the last shred of notoriety the university has left, so yeah they buy up tickets to keep the streak alive. They'd probably prefer to  let their AAU accreditation lapse than their streak of sell outs.

What's that? 

On 9/17/2022 at 1:17 AM, Laxtonto said:

The funny part is I sorta don’t give a shit if they break the bank to hire Urban or whether he has success or not. If he’s having success at corn, everyone knows they have sold their souls to do so to become nationally relevant again and there is no way it doesn’t come at the cost of King Khakis at Michigan or Dickhead Day at OSU.

It kills the Nebraska doing shit the right way and puts another dagger in the best fans bullshit narrative to boot.

Let them overpay to hire Urban. When Texas was looking to bring him in it would have been seen as a master stroke accusation of talent, but now his failure in the NFL and the personal baggage that pushed him out the door makes him damages goods that a team would need to be desperate to hire at the price it would take to bring him in.

LOL, when has Nebraska ever done it the right way? Nebraska became a powerhouse by building off of felonies, recruits that never played school a day in their lives, and an in-house PED program covered up with some folksy Midwesternism. 

Urban at Corn would be glorious though. 

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

LOL, when has Nebraska ever done it the right way? Nebraska became a powerhouse by building off of felonies, recruits that never played school a day in their lives, and an in-house PED program covered up with some folksy Midwesternism. 

Urban at Corn would be glorious though. 

If it's within the law, why not?