Scott Frost - a very rich unemployed person

immamac

34 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Sure, but Trev will take 100% of the blame when people look back at this in a couple of years. If the coach he hires isn't immediately competitive, I don't think he'll be able to ride that storm.

I still don’t know what makes him qualified to be an AD in the first place. The problems at Nebraska might be higher up than that. 

I'll call my shot now: Frost lands on his feet as OC at Iowa.  The guy still knows how to run an offense.  If Iowa's offense was merely average instead of an abomination that would look terrible in 1922 they'd be a top 10 team with a shot at making the CFP as the 4 seed with their defense and special teams.  That's a bar Frost can clear.  Most importantly, it would be funny to watch him run it up on the guy who replaces him at Nebraska.  If Ferentz decides nepotism is more important than winning games and Iowa lets him get away with it Wisconsin is another Big 10 school that should look to upgrade their offense (14 points at home vs Washington State is a fucking joke) and gets a chance to embarrass Nebraska annually.

54 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I still don’t know what makes him qualified to be an AD in the first place. The problems at Nebraska might be higher up than that. 

Even if they somehow began to win would ESPN give him the air time?

On September 6, 2005, Alberts was terminated by ESPN for breaching his contract when he declined to report to work; Alberts later claimed he did not want to "play second fiddle" to the more prominent cast of College GameDay, Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit and Lee Corso.[8]

17 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Can you make vodka out of corn?

Almost all vodka, and hard liquor in general, is made out of corn.  

16 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If Warren Buffet is involved, the buyout is vending machine money.

I've never seen anything to suggest that Buffet gives a shit about Husker football.  He's gave $100k to the school paper.  He's given money for buildings.  I don't recall any donations to the athletic department.  

11 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

It’s a bad job. Nobody an an upward trajectory will take it unless they’re money whipped.  Really money whipped.  Overwhelmingly money whipped, because it’s where coaches go to die.

Well, yeah, except for the money, most jobs suck.  I agree it's not a great job in college football - high expectations with little recruiting draw - but still. 

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Something about the specificity of “like 57” made me laugh. 

-AdhwHE8oLHDKfHWdhxgjHO7V--THVzKjIn06Udy

They had to fire him now, no question.  After that loss (they would have lost by 14 if not played in Lincoln), the fans are out.  Agree or disagree, the fans have been loyal long enough.  Most everyone wanted the story book ending but it just didn't happen.  Scott will always be respected, no matter what happened the last 5 years.

I caught the 30 min game replay the other day from his second year at Colorado.  They were dominating, destroying Colorado.  Exactly what everyone expected to be happening.  Then the wheels fell off.  Young team, didn't keep the foot on the neck, whatever it was, Colorado came back and beat them.  And so it would happen, again and again and again.  It wasn't just losing, it was winning, then losing again and again.  You're showing you have the ability and then you just quit? fold? scared to succeed?  I have no idea.

I do know one thing though, there in that game was Maurice Washington.  A good player, who could be a great player but whose life pattern had shown, I've got baggage and I'm going to be a problem.  And so it shows it's ugliness, and Frost allows it to happen.  He should have made a good example to the team and cut that sucker then and there.  Instead he didn't, and divided the team.  So he had to reset, again.  Flying at 200 feet, there's little shot at surviving a microburst.  

How bout no, Scott?

As far as money goes, hell, the lady volleyball team is selling out every night, they'll just carry the N for awhile.

18 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I see this said on here a lot, but Lincoln is a pretty cool little town and the downtown/haymarket campus/capital area is a nice area. I travel there every other month or so and it’s not one of the areas I hate (like KC or STL).

I get STL, it's a ShiThoLe, but KC?  You really hate KC?

Edited by mulletpelini
thanks for all the condolences, you guys are all class.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Klieman seems like a good fit, he knows a little something about winning football in remote areas of the north. It's crazy to think now that there's a serious question whether KSU to Nebraska is actually a move up or down. It's lateral at best.

From a "get generational wealth" perspective Nebraska is the better job, but from an "I like winning and a fanbase that doesn't have delusional expectations" perspective Kansas State is better.  KSU will be in the top third of the new Big 12 hierarchy and can realistically expect to compete for new Big 12 titles.  Hell, they can expect that this year with Oklahoma and Texas still around.  It will probably happen because the universe seems to get a kick out of tormenting Husker fans so naturally Adrian Martinez will lead KSU to a Big 12 title while earning all-conference honors after 4 years of not making a bowl game at Nebraska.  But I don't think they'll ever run a coach out of town for "only" winning 9 games like Nebraska has.

The Big 10 is abolishing divisions when it goes to 16 teams, which makes life harder for every school in the Big 10 West because they will actually need to be a top 2 team in the conference to make the CCG instead of getting lucky with their schedule and dodging all/most of the good East teams.  I just can't envision a scenario where Nebraska will ever be either 1st or 2nd competing with Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa and USC.  I can see Kansas State being 1st or 2nd among Oklahoma State, Baylor, Cincinnati, UCF, TCU, BYU and Tech.

4 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Heinz 57 is not ketchup.

Label says Heinz Ketchup, bottle says 57. Also got a bottle says 57 "sauce" on the label. False advertising?

Trying to think if I use ketchup on anything other than french fries or fried okra. And coming up blank on that... but it's definitely Heinz, yah.

22 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

I don’t think that’s an Alberts-Frost discussion. He just says, “we’re letting you go now”. Conversations have either already occurred between his camp and Nebraska, or more likely will be occurring now. $7.5 million is nothing for them or any big school, especially when compared to the National laughingstock they are. Michigan and Tennessee never fell this far. We never came close. When you think it couldn’t get worse under Strong or Sark last year, it most definitely can. Much harder at Texas just due to the athletes Texas HSFB puts out, but it can be worse. 

Nebraska is what Texas would have been if we had kept Chuck around for 2 more seasons like so many on sites like OB were insisting we had to do.

Edited by lilMAC25

4 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Nebraska is what Texas would have been if we had kept Chuck around for 2 more seasons like so many on sites like OB were insisting we had to do.

There were plenty of people on Shaggy that did too. It was ridiculous. 

54 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Klieman seems like a good fit, he knows a little something about winning football in remote areas of the north. It's crazy to think now that there's a serious question whether KSU to Nebraska is actually a move up or down. It's lateral at best.

Also he works for the AD who hired him, and has a long good relationship with. I think the AD/Coach relationship is something that gets ignored too much in looking at who will jump and who won't. Same deal with Campbell at Iowa State. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The only problem with Matt Campbell is he allegedly has no agent to do any back door negotiations, according to some ISU guy on Reddit.  Now, if it gets out that Matt has hired someone by the end of this week, then you know what's up.

I would go with Gary Patterson, but Campbell is young and seems to enjoy the Midwest. So seems logical.

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

Has Matt Campbell's name been mentioned? Or is he already happy with another plains middle of the pack job?

Only within minutes of Frost's firing because I can't even get 5 fucking hours of sports related happiness before some other buzz saw comes flying at us.

But he's not going to Nebraska.  Nebraska has all of Texas's dysfunction (hands on boosters, outrageous expectations) with none of it's advantages (oil rich boosters, flashy city, proximity to insane amounts of talent).

I'm far more concerned about Marcus Freeman's rough start in South Bend than I am the Nebraska vacancy.

32 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Also he works for the AD who hired him, and has a long good relationship with. I think the AD/Coach relationship is something that gets ignored too much in looking at who will jump and who won't. Same deal with Campbell at Iowa State. 

Campbell and our AD are extremely tight.  It's a huge part of why he hasn't left.

Good grief, Nebraska is a top 10 program in football revenue. This isn't some welfare case that had been punching above their weight.

There's no excuse for them to have been this bad for this long. 

Scott Frost was just a really bad coach who caught lightning in a bottle for one year at UCF. He's never had a winning season otherwise. 

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Good grief, Nebraska is a top 10 program in football revenue. This isn't some welfare case that had been punching above their weight.

There's no excuse for them to have been this bad for this long. 

Scott Frost was just a really bad coach who caught lightning in a bottle for one year at UCF. He's never had a winning season otherwise. 

The only time since Solich was fired that Nebraska was routinely a competitive (9 win) program was under Bo Pelini.  That's been 2 decades.

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The only time since Solich was fired that Nebraska was routinely a competitive (9 win) program was under Bo Pelini.  That's been 2 decades.

The other guys they hired (Callahan and Riley) were truly terrible hires and they were ridiculed for them - and their performances matched the ridicule. 

I just don't see them being a doormat like others are saying. They aren't going to compete for a national title consistently anymore but there's no reason they shouldn't be able to compete for the Big Ten title on a regular basis. 

It's just a dysfunctional mess - Trev was also a terrible hire and also needs to be fired. 

I enjoy clowning on Nebraska as much as anyone but Frost wasn't successful there because of Nebraska - it was because of Frost. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Tuco said:

Almost all vodka, and hard liquor in general, is made out of corn.  

Um... no. But you can make vodka out of anything. Tito's is the best known corn vodka. 

(Smirnoff is corn, too - I thought it was grain)

Edited by ztejas

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Um... no. But you can make vodka out of anything. Tito's is the best known corn vodka. 

(Smirnoff is corn, too - I thought it was grain)

Corn is grain.

I did some work at an ethanol plant in Kansas.  It produced both fuel grade ethanol and food grade.  The difference was the food grade went through a third distillation tower to remove methanol and the fuel grade had gasoline added for tax purposes.  The food grade was shipped to another facility where water was added to make it Skyy Vodka.  Corn based ethanol is about as cheap of alcohol you can get, so it's the default unless someone is marketing otherwise. 

Even in other types of hard liquor, they will use corn based ethanol to augment the traditional ingredients.  Tequila can have 51% agave, and the rest corn based alcohol.  Premium tequila is 100% agave.  Gin just has juniper berries to flavor alcohol made from corn.  I think rum is usually sugarcane (relatively cheap in those regions).  

So, it was wrong to say "almost all" hard liquor is corn based, but I would be willing to bet better than 50% is corn.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Corn is grain.

I did some work at an ethanol plant in Kansas.  It produced both fuel grade ethanol and food grade.  The difference was the food grade went through a third distillation tower to remove methanol and the fuel grade had gasoline added for tax purposes.  The food grade was shipped to another facility where water was added to make it Skyy Vodka.  Corn based ethanol is about as cheap of alcohol you can get, so it's the default unless someone is marketing otherwise. 

Even in other types of hard liquor, they will use corn based ethanol to augment the traditional ingredients.  Tequila can have 51% agave, and the rest corn based alcohol.  Premium tequila is 100% agave.  Gin just has juniper berries to flavor alcohol made from corn.  I think rum is usually sugarcane (relatively cheap in those regions).  

So, it was wrong to say "almost all" hard liquor is corn based, but I would be willing to bet better than 50% is corn.  

Sure. I meant wheat. And TIL - although I feel like I've read that in the past. I think wheat is the most common base for vodka. I would imagine in other countries - especially Europe - that wheat is cheaper than corn?

For anything made in the US I'd bet it's well over 50%. I was thinking more globally. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Only within minutes of Frost's firing because I can't even get 5 fucking hours of sports related happiness before some other buzz saw comes flying at us.

But he's not going to Nebraska.  Nebraska has all of Texas's dysfunction (hands on boosters, outrageous expectations) with none of it's advantages (oil rich boosters, flashy city, proximity to insane amounts of talent).

I'm far more concerned about Marcus Freeman's rough start in South Bend than I am the Nebraska vacancy.

Don't forget about our demands for bottles of Cristal at every meeting and our penchant for buggery.

34 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Corn is grain.

That is why tequila that is not 100% agave is headache sauce. 

nacho-libre-jack-black.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

That is why tequila that is not 100% agave is headache sauce. 

nacho-libre-jack-black.gif

I don't think that has much to do with it.  Just about anything that isn't the alcohol molecule gets distilled out.  And it's not like "trace levels of corn" is some kind of outlier in our diets.  

More likely, expensive shit has better distillation and quality control.  And you are less likely to use mixers high in sugar or choke it down as a shot. 

I wasn’t aware that their job searches were confined inside state lines. So how many Sioux head coaches have they had?

Some of you just get tweaked by the lamest shit. Nebraska has counties with less people than they had in 1885. As does Eastern Colorado, etc. The farms are mostly automated. They aren’t bringing in blacks, Mexicans, Chinese, or hillbillies to actually work in these farms.

4 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

He blocked me on Twitter.  Bitch 

That’s funny. There’s a guy on my local sports radio who said the same thing. There’s another guy who worked with Brando before and said he’s actually more of an arrogant douche in real life than he is on the air. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MrBig said:

School me on how offsets work. Let’s say Herman takes the job. He’s owed $6.75M from Texas for 2023.

If Nebraska promises him $3M for 2023, does the offset mean corn pays him $3M and we owe him $3.75M to pay off the $6.75M? 

I’m not sure Michelle would approve a move to Lincoln.  Also, I pulled his wiki page up to see if he was still married, and this little gem was sitting there.

18B1556F-8E48-428F-A8B8-624CD6C38BCA.thumb.jpeg.a0952623647389dddff788c7256bb21d.jpeg

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Some of you just get tweaked by the lamest shit. Nebraska has counties with less people than they had in 1885. As does Eastern Colorado, etc. The farms are mostly automated. They aren’t bringing in blacks, Mexicans, Chinese, or hillbillies to actually work in these farms.

I don't think that really has much to do with it as most coaches are hired from out of state.  Maybe it does just a bit because alumni demographics impacting alumni hires.

But it's a stupid numbers game.  If you aren't a program that has been churning through coaches every 3-4 years, the odds are that you haven't had one.

6 of 8 public ivies haven't had one.  Texas wouldn't have one except for hiring the worst coach in it's history.