Scott Frost - a very rich unemployed person

immamac

If I'm the AD first call I'm making is to money whip Chris Petersen to make sure he is done coaching.  After that Fickell and Fleck.  Then once all of them hang up on me laughing I get drunk and fire out a mass email to Chadwell, Freeze, Klieman, etc.  

• Haha 1

No other B1G coaches like Fleck really have anything to gain by going to corn. I think Freeze makes sense. I would break the bank going after Fickel, and I would kick the tires on Traylor and GP.

with the new TV deal, they coukd swing 10 mil per year on Fickel.

Edited by Vertigo

12 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Mark Stoops will be the next corn coach imo. 

He’d be a decent hire. He’s done a respectable job at UK and someone is going to hire him away from Lexington eventually.

I don’t know if Fickell would be interested in the job. I know he’s happy in Cincinnati (and so is his wife). Is there a decent Catholic Church in Lincoln? I know that’s something that’s important to him.

I’m watching Game Time with Boomer Esiason right now and Luke is the guest. I don’t expect there to be any insights about coaching moves he might make, just saying because it’s a coincidence. He’s got a gray goatee going on.

One thing you know for sure that’s you’d get with Fick is a stout defense and good LB play. Nebraska could use that. I don’t know how UC’s impending move to a conference with a questionable future might impact his thinking. I’ve heard that, outside of tOSU, the two jobs he’d be willing to take are ND and PSU. If Luke (three time AAC Coach of the Year) wanted the Nebraska job then I figure there’s no way he’d do worse than Bo Pelini did.

Stoops and Fickell compete for Ohio recruits so either one of them taking the and tasks job would probably benefit the other. 

1 hour ago, Bodhi said:

If I'm the AD first call I'm making is to money whip Chris Petersen to make sure he is done coaching.  After that Fickell and Fleck.  Then once all of them hang up on me laughing I get drunk and fire out a mass email to Chadwell, Freeze, Klieman, etc.  

and Patterson.

56 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Casey actually filled up the stats

Lulz at the defense though this one must've been hilarious

I didn't see much. But I sure saw enough.

The defense was bad. DBs running into each other, WRs open everywhere... if GSU could connect on more passes and not have WRs drop open passes this would've been a slaughter.

8 hours ago, Bodhi said:

Nebraska is surely a downgrade from Cincy at this point.

9 hours ago, Pancho said:

Gagree

Nebraska sold their soul for the Big 10 to get away from big, bad Texas.

The problem is they left behind the Texas athletes they need to survive.  

Nebraska is another Minnesota at this point.  They’ll be good errey so often, but their glory days aren’t coming back.

This is correct. Dunno why people cant get this

• Haha 1

Matt Campbell, maybe?

Far, far, far greater resources than what he has in Ames, plus combined with new TV money means things he could never get by sticking around at  ISU.  

Nebraska has sunk so low, that if he could just get them to respectability and bowl eligibility each season, they might erect a statue of him next to Dr. Tom's.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Matt Campbell, maybe?

Far, far, far greater resources than what he has in Ames, plus combined with new TV money means things he could never get by sticking around at  ISU.  

Nebraska has sunk so low, that if he could just get them to respectability and bowl eligibility each season, they might erect a statue of him next to Dr. Tom's.

I want to put a statue up for Trev Alberts and Scott Frost.  I mean they are a fantastic combo.  

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Matt Campbell, maybe?

Interesting.  Just looked it up: Ames and Lincoln are 3 hours from each other.  

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This is correct. Dunno why people cant get this

Because it’s an explanation looking for a justification. Nebraska didn’t lose to Georgia Southern or Northwestern (who just lost to Duke) because they didn’t have the talent.

They need to find a coach who cares about defense. There’s no reason they shouldn’t be better than Wisconsin and Iowa every year. (I realize it’s a bad day to be talking about Wisconsin and Iowa after they both shit the bed yesterday.)

The really snarky answer would be to observe that if the Texas pipeline is so important to their success then that raises some questions about the performance of some teams actually in Texas over the past several years. Tom Herman didn’t get fired because he didn’t have that Texas pipeline.

I think the, ‘See? They left the Big 12 and lost the Texas recruiting pipeline so were destined to fail’ explanation is just an expression of the jilted lover syndrome.

But hey, if leaving the Big 12 meant losing the Texas pipeline then being in the B1G means opening up the California pipeline, right? Of course, Frost recruited Adrian Martinez out of Fresno five years ago when there was no “pipeline.” That cost him some games. Joe Burrow looked into transferring from tOSU to Nebraska but Frost said, ‘No, we’re set with Martinez.’

Maybe it’s not recruiting. Maybe Frost just isn’t a good coach. Maybe there was someone else responsible for his success at UCF. Or maybe he’s just in over his head and never figured out how to win in Lincoln.

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Maybe it’s not recruiting. Maybe Frost just isn’t a good coach. Maybe there was someone else responsible for his success at UCF. Or maybe he’s just in over his head and never figured out how to win in Lincoln.

In hindsight, having NFL caliber talent on a G5 team and schedule at UCF in 2017 = Frost as a coaching legend.  Their win that season over Auburn was legit, but look the rest of the schedule:

Date Time Opponent Rank Site TV Result Attendance
August 31 6:00 p.m. FIU*   CBSSN W 61–17 38,063
September 16 7:30 p.m. Georgia Tech*  
  • Spectrum Stadium
  • Orlando, FL
ESPNews  Cancelled[a]  
September 23 3:00 p.m. at Maryland*   FS1 W 38–10 33,280
September 30[b] 7:00 p.m. Memphis  
  • Spectrum Stadium
  • Orlando, FL
ESPN2 W 40–13 34,022
September 30 6:30 p.m. Maine*  
  • Spectrum Stadium
  • Orlando, FL
ESPN3  Cancelled[c]  
October 7 8:00 p.m. at Cincinnati No. 25 ESPNU W 51–23[d] 27,253
October 14 7:15 p.m. East Carolinadagger No. 22
  • Spectrum Stadium
  • Orlando, FL
CBSSN W 63–21 40,287
October 21 3:30 p.m. at Navy No. 20 CBSSN W 31–21 35,277
October 28[e] 5:00 p.m. Austin Peay* No. 18
  • Spectrum Stadium
  • Orlando, FL
ESPN3 W 73–33 27,606
November 4 7:15 p.m. at SMU No. 18 ESPN2 W 31–24 24,445
November 11 12:00 p.m. UConn No. 18
  • Spectrum Stadium
  • Orlando, FL
ESPNU W 49–24 29,384
November 18 12:00 p.m. at Temple No. 15 ESPNU W 45–19 25,877 
November 24 3:30 p.m. South Florida No. 15
ABC[18] W 49–42 47,129
December 2 12:00 p.m. No. 20 Memphis No. 14
ABC W 62–55 2OT 41,433
January 1, 2018 12:30 p.m. vs. No. 7 Auburn* No. 12 ESPN W 34–27

Of course, he gets that gig based on what he did as OC at Oregon.  Looking back, was Frost responsible for their offensive success, or was it (chortles) Helfrich?

I'm thinking that Frost probably would be fine as an OC somewhere else, without the burdens and responsibilities of running the show.  But after this mess, it may be a bit before anyone offers him that chance.  He probably is going to have to do a rehab analyst gig for a few years.

22 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Matt Campbell, maybe?

Again, not the best day to be making this point, but Nebraska’s big season-ending rivalry game is against Iowa. If you want to beat Iowa consistently then I don’t think you should hire Campbell. Yes, he got his first win in six tries yesterday, against what looks to be an historically bad Hawkeye team who has a shitty QB and no running game, and was saved from OT by a wildly missed FG in a rainstorm. But I just don’t get the hype about that guy. 

9 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Again, not the best day to be making this point, but Nebraska’s big season-ending rivalry game is against Iowa. If you want to beat Iowa consistently then I don’t think you should hire Campbell. Yes, he got his first win in six tries yesterday, against what looks to be an historically bad Hawkeye team who has a shitty QB and no running game, and was saved from OT by a wildly missed FG in a rainstorm. But I just don’t get the hype about that guy. 

Oh, I get that.  But if you are Nebraska, looking to finance your buyout of Frost and staff, you are going to overlook "not beating Iowa while he was at Iowa State" mark on a resume.  Because desperation makes man do things they normally wouldn't do, and Nebraska is desperate.

21 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Nebraska deserves this for being the original assholes who kicked off conference realignment. The old Big XII was a great conference.

I think this is about as explicitly as you can state the jilted lover syndrome.

What if the SWC didn’t break up and some of those teams merge with the Big 8? Why not blame that move as being the first domino to fall?

If you were Nebraska and looking back at the ashes of the Big 12, would you regret leaving? If they hadn’t left, would Texas and OU still be happy to remain in the conference? Did those two teams really never consider bolting for the PAC before Nebraska jumped at the chance to find security (and more money) elsewhere?

• Fuck You 5

What a difference 20 years make. Nebraska fired Solich in ‘03 after he went 9-3 capping off a 58-19 span over 6 years. Not great, not bad.  Frost is in year 5 at 16-31.

Not firing Frost this morning is more embarrassing than losing to GA State. It’s short sided to keep him to avoid a large buyout. It only pisses off donors that much more.

of course I hate Nebraska, so gotta love seeing them be one of the worst power 5 teams. 

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What if the SWC didn’t break up and some of those teams merge with the Big 8? Why not blame that move as being the first domino to fall?

If you were Nebraska and looking back at the ashes of the Big 12, would you regret leaving? If they hadn’t left, would Texas and OU still be happy to remain in the conference? Did those two teams really never consider bolting for the PAC before Nebraska jumped at the chance to find security (and more money) elsewhere?

If Nebraska and Colorado remained in the big 12, I don’t think you see A&M and Mizzou leave. Which would keep Texas and OU. It’s a completely different landscape.

I hope Tom Osborne still has enough mental awareness to know that he ultimately ruined Nebraska football.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What a difference 20 years make. Nebraska fired Solich in ‘03 after he went 9-3 capping off a 58-19 span over 6 years. Not great, not bad.  Frost is in year 5 at 16-31.

Not firing Frost this morning is more embarrassing than losing to GA State. It’s short sided to keep him to avoid a large buyout. It only pisses off donors that much more.

of course I hate Nebraska, so gotta love seeing them be one of the worst power 5 teams. 

Guessing they fire him after the OU game. Unless they win. 

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is it, though?

Their season is over.  Sad to say only this far in, but they will not make a bowl regardless of what they do.  That team is too bad.

So why fire the guy a few weeks early and pay a bigger payout?  The rest of this season is about finding someone who can keep developing players and recruiting at some non disaster level while finding the next guy.  That timeline isn't changed at all by firing Frost in September vs October.

@ztejas @Bill Lumbergh I hear both of you but no one but only the accountants care about the money. It doesn’t come out of the AD or President’s pocket. Does the buyout only kick in if he’s not head coach? Can he be named special asst to the AD at his current salary?

I do get that it might be better to wait until after OU. Assuming OU destroys them, let Frost take that loss and move onto a fresh temp coach. I now see they have a week off after OU so it’s even better to start fresh on sept 18th.

Extra commentary, when a head coach is fired a couple of game in, the AD should be sent packing as well. It means they just wasted time since December and the AD was clueless to recognize it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Your continued insistence of labeling Texas as a “jilted lover” in Nebraska leaving is hilariously bad bullshit. You and your long paragraphs nobody reads need to fuck back off to CR. 

• immamac changed the title to Scott Frost - a very rich unemployed person